PDA

View Full Version : Is the general public dumb?

tennisIlove09
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:02 AM
I told someone I was getting up early to watch Wimbledon, and they were like "What's Wimbledon?"

Is the general public THAT dumb? I'm not expecting them to know anything from except, execpt the 4 majors--especially Wimbledon, since it's the biggest tournament in the world.

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:31 AM
i think the general public is pretty dumb. even the people that play tennis are pretty dumb (some of them anyway). i was playing in a comp the other night and one of my team mates new that a big tournament was coming up but didn't know which one it was.

Lisbeth
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:33 AM
Well that's dumb, but I think all the general publics I know are familiar with Wimbledon. It might be a national thing - Wimbledon is on TV etc here but you could probably find Aussies who had no idea what the Superbowl was.

Lisbeth
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:35 AM
i think the general public is pretty dumb. even the people that play tennis are pretty dumb (some of them anyway). i was playing in a comp the other night and one of my team mates new that a big tournament was coming up but didn't know which one it was.

Dumb tennis players ... you're not thinking of (at an interview in Paris) "Notre Dame is a good school with a good football team" are you?!

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:43 AM
actually i think most aussies know about the superbowl we are sports fanatics. maybe they don't when it is played but they've at least heard of it and know it is a big event.

E. Blackadder
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:57 AM
i know some people who don't know who anna kournikova is, the most searched women on the internet

BigB08822
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:58 AM
You are the general public, so you are calling yourself dumb!

Not everyone can know everything. So while you may think someone is dumb who doesnt know what Wimbledon is, should I think you are dumb if you don't know how to tell a tripleaxel from a triplelutz?

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:07 AM
we know, we just mean dumb in-terms of tennis not dumb in general (or at least i don't think they are).

BasicTennis
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:08 AM
Wimbledon has the tendency to keep everything exclusive that they don't even give rights for Eurosport to broadcast the damn thing, so it's not surprising that they're not aware of this.:o

Nikki
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:25 AM
Wimbledon has the tendency to keep everything exclusive that they don't even give rights for Eurosport to broadcast the damn thing, so it's not surprising that they're not aware of this.:o

Eurosport do broadcast Wimbledon

BasicTennis
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM
Eurosport do broadcast Wimbledon
sorry, I disagree....if you'll check their schedule, it's not included and this is becoming a Wimby tradition I guess. :sad:

here's the link if you wanna verify:

http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V3/L0/S57/mboard_Lng0_Spo57_Sto428637.shtml

Nikki
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
sorry, I disagree....if you'll check their schedule, it's not included and this is becoming a Wimby tradition I guess. :sad:

Your right, I apologize I have checked through our digital satillite, although I'm sure British eurosport showed some matches from wimbledon last year.

caramel
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:34 AM
Wow...so many people say Im dumb and I still know what Wimbledon is so that means Im actually NOT THAT dumb. Phew...what a relief. :o

irma
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:41 AM
I guess I am the smartest person in the world since I know a lot about tennis. how nice to know;)

Lisbeth
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:50 AM
Should have clarified, most Aussies have heard of the superbowl but quite a few could not tell you when or where or even what sport.

tennisIlove09
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:02 PM
You are the general public, so you are calling yourself dumb!

Not everyone can know everything. So while you may think someone is dumb who doesnt know what Wimbledon is, should I think you are dumb if you don't know how to tell a tripleaxel from a triplelutz?

At least I know what you are talking about with the tripleaxel and triplelutz!

I just find it hard to believe that people don't know what Wimbledon is. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hardiansf
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:25 PM
I know nothing about golf. But I'm pretty sure that its have Grand Slam Tournament too. Am I dumb?

selesrules
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Is the general public dumb?

If MarcusRock is part of the general public, then yes.

Hardiansf
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:38 PM
Roftlmao!!!

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:46 PM
They aren't dumb - it just shows how far tennis has fallen in popularity and how poorly marketed it currently is (at least in the U.S.).

Mr. Man
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:56 PM
If MarcusRock is part of the general public, then yes.
bitter fan.

Anyways, I'm not surprised at people not knowing what Wimby is. But I'm pretty sure everyone around where I live knows what the USO is. Probably think it's the only slam that exsist in tennis...lmao.

Spirit
Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Is the general public dumb?

As a general statement, most people accept it as true, yes.

I believe it was Mark Twain who said, "If the majority of Congressmen weren't so stupid, they wouldn't be a true representation of the people."

BTW: Everyone's heard of Wimbledon, or should have. But before I became a tennis fan (which was around 2000, I think), I did not know that there were four majors, I didn't even know what a major was, I had never heard of Martina Hingis and I didn't know that tennis was played on more than one surface.

People who don't care about the sport know precious little about it.

controlfreak
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:51 PM
I think 99% of people in the UK know Wimbledon - it's pretty much unavoidable, plastered all over the papers and showing all day every day on the BBC. But I have my doubts about how many people could name one other tennis tournament. There are probably plenty of people out there who are totally oblivious to RG / USO / AO. So it's understandable that people in other parts of the world might not have heard of Wimbledon. But I agree that they would have to be very stupid :)

tennisIlove09
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:01 AM
I know nothing about golf. But I'm pretty sure that its have Grand Slam Tournament too. Am I dumb?

No, but let me ask you this: when you hear on the news or read the newspaper and see "The Masters"...do you know it's Golf? If not... ;) (just joking)

Martian Willow
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:13 AM
I have to explain to my mum what a Grand Slam is every year.

Obviously, other people are stupid. But not me.

Iroda_Fan
Jun 24th, 2003, 01:46 AM
I don't think people are stupid just because they don't know about wimbledon they just don't care about tennis, I personally don't like that tournament. You should see people's reaction when i tell them that Wimbledon is play on grass :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: They go into shock!!!!!!!!Winbledom is not very popular here infact i think is consider a boring tournament unlike the french open, australian and usopen those tournament bring exciment to the game.

DutchieGirl
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Should have clarified, most Aussies have heard of the superbowl but quite a few could not tell you when or where or even what sport.

America, American footy, and actually, it's broadcast on tv here! :p

Lisbeth
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:10 AM
OK Inkyfan, I give up. Though I never said no-one knew, just that many don't.

xin
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Yes, the popularity has declined. It's a disappointment in U.S. I agree that because I was shocked that many of my tennis teammates know very little about professional tennis. Yes, you may think: "what's the kind of tennis they are playing?" :rolleyes: :o

bubbastime
Jun 24th, 2003, 05:39 AM
YES! We were in London 2 weeks ago and I told a couple of people on the trip that I needed to stop by Wimbeldon for some gifts and they said, "Is that a castle or something?"

Lynx
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:41 AM
I guess I am the smartest person in the world since I know a lot about tennis. how nice to know;)
rofl :D

People tend to think others are dumb when those others don't know about stuff they happen to know a lot about. It doesn't mean anything. I'm sure there are lots of things out there we all know next to nothing about. Like, errr... http://www.jordysworld.de/emoticons/augen06.gif http://www.jordysworld.de/emoticons/conf11.gif

But yes, "the general public" is pretty dumb. 100 IS the average IQ... :o

seeing_red
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:45 AM
So, basically, your basis of 'being dumb' is a persons' ability to recognize wimbledon?

Not everybody cares of what we care about, you know. Not caring doesn't equate to dumb. It just equates to indifference.

Defcon
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:05 AM
I think in general most people are pretty ignorant about any subject they are not personally involved with in some way, as long as its not 'common knowledge'.

And when it comes to sports, people are much more inclined to know about the events popular in their country.

e.g. if you asked someone outside the US what 'playoffs' or the 'Stanley cup' were you would likely get blank stares.

My roommate knows nothing about tennis and is a footballl junki (yes, that makes him an idiot). This morning, he asks me
"is the tennis world cup still going on ?" !!!!

He remembers me watching the FO 2 weeks ago and thought its the same event. Nver mind the different surface or the gap or the fact that he doesn't know there are 4 slams.

I wanted to smack him, but I realized its probably true for most people who don't play or follow tennis. Pretty sad, actually.

(but then again I could care less about football ;))