PDA

View Full Version : Why is Rubin in TOP 10?

Frank_Rulez
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:25 AM
i dont really see her much on tv till last yr,
but she doesnt really impress me in her matches,
when she beats TOP players, not that she is bad or anything,
but when she does, her opponents seem to be off.....
so it just beats me why she is in TOP 10.....
even though she has big shots, but IMO she lacks in movement,
and she is not a counter puncher, so can someone
explain to me why she is so effective on grass and clay,
not to mention the American Hardcourts.....

DA FOREHAND
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:29 AM
Why was Martinez,Hantukova, Kournikova, Dokic, Myskina,Dementieva...etc....top ten..

She has clean aggressive strokes...a good net game a very good forehand, good movement, court sense, and a vastly improved backhand.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:33 AM
Good point DA FOREHAND

Rubin is just as good as the top 5 in tour sure she lacks the power but shes got the shots to get her in TOP 5 esspecially to go far at wimbledon

tennisIlove09
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:38 AM
because she's consistent. Except for a brief period last fall (where I suspect she was getting over her devastating loss to Venus at the US Open. Venus won 6-2 4-6 7-5...but Chanda had 2 break points on Venus serving 5-5), she has been very consistent.

Look at the last 5 Slams
02 Paris--4th (lost to Venus)
02 WB--4th (lost to Serena)
02 US--4th (lost to Venus)
03 AO--4th
03 Paris--QF (lost to Henin)

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:57 AM
because she's consistent. Except for a brief period last fall (where I suspect she was getting over her devastating loss to Venus at the US Open. Venus won 6-2 4-6 7-5...but Chanda had 2 break points on Venus serving 5-5), she has been very consistent.

Look at the last 5 Slams
02 Paris--4th (lost to Venus)
02 WB--4th (lost to Serena)
02 US--4th (lost to Venus)
03 AO--4th
03 Paris--QF (lost to Henin)

LOL! Why didn`t u type who she lost to in AUS OPEN???

Anways it was Myskina in 3 sets i think! Chanda should have won that much!

Gowza
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:33 AM
this is the first time i've heard anyone ever say that chanda rubin has bad movement. i let people have there say and try not to criticise and try to take each persons opinion seriously but the odds are against you on that one i think.

tennisIlove09
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:41 AM
LOL! Why didn`t u type who she lost to in AUS OPEN???

Anways it was Myskina in 3 sets i think! Chanda should have won that much!

I couldn't remember if it was Myskina or Clijsters :o

caramel
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:31 AM
Chanda is in the top 10 because she deserves it.

Period.

Mateo Mathieu
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:40 AM
this is the first time i've heard anyone ever say that chanda rubin has bad movement.
Me too...

Chanda beat Serena last year at Los Angeles and only two points away from victory against Venus Williams at the US Open. She played really well! She won Madrid and Eastbourne this year. She deserves it!

All4Williams
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:49 AM
Oh Chanda is one of the fastest out there. She has a good Volley and feels comfortable at the net. This is how she put out Capriati - she ws able to change her game. Capriati was not off when chanda beat her' Chanda is a much better player than Capriati(who is mostly power but mental toughness as well), Hantuchova, Dokic, Myskina etc. I think that she is also capable of beating Clisters and Henin on grass. She has 6 singles and 10 doubles titles. What more do you want to know.

But then Frank-Rulez yopu admit you have not watched Chanda much. She one three titles last year to Capriati's none.

Frank_Rulez
Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:08 AM
Oh Chanda is one of the fastest out there. She has a good Volley and feels comfortable at the net. This is how she put out Capriati - she ws able to change her game. Capriati was not off when chanda beat her' Chanda is a much better player than Capriati(who is mostly power but mental toughness as well), Hantuchova, Dokic, Myskina etc. I think that she is also capable of beating Clisters and Henin on grass. She has 6 singles and 10 doubles titles. What more do you want to know.

But then Frank-Rulez yopu admit you have not watched Chanda much. She one three titles last year to Capriati's none.
if i were Chanda, i would trade my title for the
AO Slam won by Jen in a heartbeat.......:)
she is fast?..that i need to focus more next time i see her
the reason i asked is coz she is too low key,
out of the TOP 10, she is probably the most overlooked...
hopefully i'll see her more in the next 2 weeks

switz
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:08 AM
she is more low key because that's the way she likes. if being too low key allows you to make the top 10 on 3 seperate occassions after serious injuries then i think she should just keep doing what she has always done.

it really is not sensible to question chanda's right to be in the top ten because she has fought her whole career to overcome obstacles, and yet never bitches about it and just puts her head down and always has a positive disposition towards people. and even ignoring these facts, all you have to do is look at the fact that she has beaten serena, henin (6-3, 6-2), davenport, mauresmo (6-2, 6-0!!) and capriati and came very close to beating 2 time defending champ venus at the us open in the last year to see why she is in the top ten. and forgive me if i am wrong but i don't think there are too many players outside the top 10 who have won 5 titles in the last year.

Rollo
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:49 AM
Nice post Switz-Chanda has more class than any top tenner except maybe Clijsters, but Kimmie could only tie her!

When she's on Chanda has all the weapons needed for the top ten. The one aspect lacking in the past has been consistency, she can be incredibly sloppy and error prone at times, especially off that lethal forehand.

This year she's very consistent-hence her top ten status. She might be there some time:)

King Lindsay
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:53 AM
in the past year, chanda has defeated serena, lindsay, henin, mauresmo, dokic and capriati among others. she has won three titles, and performed consistently at all the majors. She's played very well, and i think at this moment she's only a hair beneath the best players in the world. certainly she is nobody to be taken lightly.

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
In terms of the rankings, Chanda nearly always lives up to her seed. That gets her into the top 10 as she wins when she should. She isn't in the top 5 because she rarely has wins over the bigger names in the game.

As a player Chanda is where she is because, first and foremost, she's a great competitor. She never gives up, and that will take you far in the game. She may be behind in a match, but she often comes back to win. Additionally, she has a solid all-around game. She isn't bothered by power, as it only makes her shots more powerful. She's also willing to close points out at the net, which helps keep her errors down as she doesn't get into the long, drawn out points.

RAA
Jun 23rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
CHanda has a great game. definitely top 10 material. maybe top 5.

I think she is deceptively quick around the court. I agree that a few times when I have watched she doesn't "look" fast, but she gets to a LOT of balls and is very quick about the court.

congrats to her for defending her eastbourne title! I hope she does well at wimby!!

Serendy Willick
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:00 PM
I'm sorry, but to me it seems like Rubin doesnt even try with some of these top players. Put Serena, or Venus out there against her and she does great, but stick Kim Clijsters out there against her and she get her tail waxed. She has to get more consistant.

Gonzo Hates Me!
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:07 PM
You're in the top 10 because you just ARE. You had to have done SOMETHING.

i heart backhand
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:12 PM
*anxiously awaits the Clijsters/Rubin quarterfinal*

Libertango
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Chanda is in the top 10 because she deserves it.

Period.

Exactly, nuff said! ;)

fammmmedspin
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Shes in the top ten because she is more consistent and has better results than the players closing on her or falling downwards in the rankings.
Apart from being a smart player with enough weapons to make a difference, she one of the few players who can put it together and take out a top five player and has she a good record against the people who might claim her top ten place.
Thats actually shown in her H2H records which do go back beyond the last year but show her with a pretty good record of wins or even leading H2Hs against the top 10 players who overlap with her and many of the current up and coming players. I noticed the record against the players now ranked 10-20 and the fact that the only ones she has not beaten are Kim, Monica and Steffi which suggests quite a lot about how good she is.

Chanda Rubin (USA)
Head-to-Heads
Opponent Nat'l Wins Losses
Elena Bovina RUS 1 0
Jennifer Capriati USA 5 6
Kim Clijsters BEL 0 5
Amanda Coetzer RSA 7 3
Eleni Daniilidou GRE 1 0
Kimiko Date JPN 1 1
Lindsay Davenport USA 3 8
Elena Dementieva RUS 2 1
Jelena Dokic YUG 2 1
Mary Joe Fernandez USA 1 2
Steffi Graf GER 0 7
Julie Halard-Decugis FRA 2 1
Daniela Hantuchova SVK 0 1
Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL 2 4
Martina Hingis SUI 2 8
Anke Huber GER 1 1
Anna Kournikova RUS 1 4
Iva Majoli CRO 3 2
Magdalena Maleeva BUL 1 6
Conchita Martinez ESP 3 9
Amelie Mauresmo FRA 2 1
Jana Novotna CZE 2 1
Nadia Petrova RUS 1 1
Mary Pierce FRA 1 3
Anna Pistolesi ISR 5 2
Gabriela Sabatini ARG 3 6
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario ESP 4 4
Patty Schnyder SUI 1 0
Monica Seles USA 0 5
Ai Sugiyama JPN 3 0
Helena Sukova CZE 3 2
Nathalie Tauziat FRA 3 2
Sandrine Testud FRA 3 6
Iroda Tulyaganova UZB 2 0
Dominique Van Roost BEL 1 2
Serena Williams USA 1 1
Venus Williams USA 1 8
Natasha Zvereva BLR 4 1

BigB08822
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Interesting thread, I just love Chanda and I think she should make it to atleast the semi's here. :)

Dawn Marie
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
Frank must be a Majoli fan....ANYWAY

U are not a tennis fan if you have to ask why Rubin is in the top ten. :bounce:

GO CHANDA!

Miss Thang
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:27 PM
Child I know it's summer and it's hot but you need to kick that V-H8 Splash to the curb and just chill with some H20. :D

Miss Chanda! :kiss:

disposablehero
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:31 AM
She's in the top 10 because Jon Werthless predicted she never would be again.

faboozadoo15
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:40 AM
shes there because she beats everyone she is supposed to and is very capable of an upset. i like her a lot, her game is fun to watch... but sometimes it makes me mad that monica can't be right up there too... i mean shes beaten her 3 times in the last year and a half... o well

go chanda. carry on for the veterans.

xcrtbckhnd
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Chanda is an amazing player and definitely deserves to be where she is in the rankings. I think she will at least make the quarters here and I wouldn't be surprised to see her get her first win over Kim during that round. Chanda IS fast, mostly because she anticipates well, plays percentage shots and is a great athlete. Her inconsistency in the past was due to her wrist injury which made it very difficult to get her confidence back on her amazing forehand. Beyond all that, Chanda is a smart player too who can actually think her way through matches and play to her opponent's weaknesses and set up her strengths. I love her low-key attitude and humble approach to the game. She is one of my favorites and always has been! I hope she takes the title actually!