View Full Version : Lena at Wimbledon

Spidergirl
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Jelena Dokic (11) v. Elena Baltacha
Emmanuelle Gagliardi v. Stephanie Cohen Aloro
Maria Sharapova v. Ashley Harkleroad
Saori Obata v. Elena Bovina (21)

A tough draw, indeed...

Obata just beat Dokic 6-3 6-1 in Eastbourne...

Sharapova reached the SF's of Birmingham...

It's funny how the 2 seeds in this section could arguably be the worst players currently. :p

Considering Lena just lost to Anne Keothavong, a Brit... (A BRIT :mad::mad:... WTF ARE YOU DOING, LENA??? :mad::mad: )... I doubt she'll have any confidence that she'll even win a match here...

If Lena can start playing well here... since Momo pulled out... she has a great chance at reaching the QF's... but that seems so far away...

Whatever, though...

UDACHI LENA!

auntie janie
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:51 PM
Jelena Dokic (11) v. Elena Baltacha
Emmanuelle Gagliardi v. Stephanie Cohen Aloro
Maria Sharapova v. Ashley Harkleroad
Saori Obata v. Elena Bovina (21)

A tough draw, indeed...

Obata just beat Dokic 6-3 6-1 in Eastbourne...

Sharapova reached the SF's of Birmingham...

It's funny how the 2 seeds in this section could arguably be the worst players currently. :p

Considering Lena just lost to Anne Keothavong, a Brit... (A BRIT :mad::mad:... WTF ARE YOU DOING, LENA??? :mad::mad: )... I doubt she'll have any confidence that she'll even win a match here...

Whatever, though...

UDACHI LENA!

Really, though, this is a great section to be in! Who wouldn't want to be in Jelena's section these days; it's like hitting the jackpot! I hope Elena is ready to throw off her slump and get through this bit of the draw, at least. She has to be excited at her great luck to be thrown in with JD. Though, I believe she usually throws off her slumps somewhere less visible, in Eastern Europe maybe! :)

As for Maria, well, first she has to get by Ashley. If she wins that, Maria can beat Slumping Elena, but not Other Elena, the Elena who broke the back of The Russian Titleless Curse. :hearts:

But, which Elena, SE or OE, will play at Wimbledon???

Spidergirl
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:59 PM
What's SE or OE? :p

Maria should beat Ashley... Ashley's never played on grass, her style doesn't suit grass at all, and she lost her last match 0-6 0-6 :eek:

It's not really great luck being paired with Jelena... who else in 9-16 seed range is that much better? If Jelena plays well... she's better than all of them.

I like Maria S. too... but we're supposed to cheer for Bovina (or everyone cheers for Lena, and I be my normal cynical self. :p )

auntie janie
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM
SE = Slumping Elena :(
OE = Other Elena (non-slumping!), but I will change it to:
WE = Winning Elena! :)

Hey, of course I will root for Elena against Maria if they play, Leena! You should know that by now. :)
Maria is 16. She has all the time in the world. Elena needs to get back in gear NOW. WE needs to show the door to SE toute de suite!

Spidergirl
Jun 20th, 2003, 06:11 PM
There's more Lena's than that. :p And they change every point. She has the violent mood swings like me. :)

You can actually tell by Lena's different grunts, how she's feeling.

Lena still has a lot of time, also... she's only 20, and she started a bit later than most girls. Plus, her game is suitable to playing for a long time... since she doesn't rely on her speed. :p

auntie janie
Jun 20th, 2003, 07:57 PM
That's true, she does have time. No need for us (or her) to get anxious yet. But I suspect that she will start to feel Ms. WE coming on only when she gets back on the hardcourts. In other words, AFTER, not DURING, Wimbledon.

But I hope I am very, very wrong! Hey, I was wrong about Elena D. winning a very respectable title this year! There's nothing like it, being wrong! :D

Spidergirl
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:58 PM
I saw the beginning of her great play in the Qualis of Montreal, last year... I hope it doesn't start in Toronto... make it sooner. :)

auntie janie
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:03 PM
yes, that would be a bit late for my liking, too. :)
How about Fed Cup?

Elleke
Jun 21st, 2003, 02:21 PM
Good Luck Lena! win wimbly ;):bounce:

Spidergirl
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:08 AM
Good Luck Lena! win wimbly ;):bounce:
I wish I could be that positive. :p

LeonHart
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
Hmmm...if Lena is in her 2002 US OPEN form, she could easily pull a QF in this draw, but she's playing waaaay worse. :sad: I think she'd be lucky to make the 2nd round, but I still believe Lena has the fighting spirit within that can pull her out of this mess!!

Spidergirl
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:20 AM
If Lena plays anywhere near her best... she'll reach QF in this pathetic draw.

But, as we know, she's been terrible... :sad:

This match vs. Obata is one of the biggest of her career, IMO. She desperately needs some confidence in her game... and the time is NOW to get it.

King Aaron
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:29 PM
It's not really great luck being paired with Jelena... who else in 9-16 seed range is that much better? If Jelena plays well... she's better than all of them.

What's this? First ignoring my thread for Wimbledon and then crediting my favorite player? I guess you kind of even it out huh? ;)

:wavey: Nice to see you back to your posting ways. :p

I wouldn't expect Lena to win a match here unless something really drastic happens.

Spidergirl
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM
What's this? First ignoring my thread for Wimbledon and then crediting my favorite player? I guess you kind of even it out huh? ;)

:wavey: Nice to see you back to your posting ways. :p

I wouldn't expect Lena to win a match here unless something really drastic happens.
Aaron, don't be so negative! :mad:

Lena will beat Obata. :)

auntie janie
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:21 PM
Does Elena play tomorrow? I'd rather get it over with fast, win or lose ... ;)

snoop
Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:40 PM
SheŽll play on tuesday

Udachi Elena :bounce: All the best :)

King Aaron
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:34 PM
Aaron, don't be so negative! :mad:

Lena will beat Obata. :)
I learnt most of it from you. ;)
Okay, I'll be positive.

Lena will beat Obata. Lena will beat Obata.

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Lena won, 8-6 in the third. ESPN was on the air, but they showed tennis reruns instead of one point from this match.
Maybe we will get to see a point or two of Lena-Maria.

snoop
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Elena :D :bounce:

After being 4-0 up in the first she began to struggle again :rolleyes:
At least it seems that she never gave up her fight, saved three match points at 4-5 and finally won this damn match :D

Elena Bovina (RUS) d. Saori Obata (JPN) 76(5) 26 86

Next opponent is Maria Sharapova :mad: Please get your game together Elena. Udachi :) :)

goldenlox
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Lena had better show up with her best game against Maria. If she pushes down the middle, Maria will pound it in the corners.
And I know Harkleroad is not that big, but Maria looked very tall. Her arms and legs are very, very long. I think she is still growing.
I want to see Lena and Maria on the court together, to see if Lena is all that big, or if Maria's right there.

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM
I think Elena may have knocked her own game back into shape after that win, I hope she does herself justice after todays performance. People may say she was lucky but she made sure she won the points that really matter. Sometimes to win, you gotta win ugly, but the match was beauty!

She has a really good shot of going far in this tournament!

the cat
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Lena is alot bigger than Maria. Probably 2 or 3 inches taller in height and 20 plus pounds heavier, too.

The question is will Lena be able to dictate play in this match? If so she should win. If not she probably won't win. One this is for sure. This will be an intense hard hitting match.

Dava
Jun 24th, 2003, 10:18 PM
She will win if she can get the balls in court, cos she will lap up the pace Masha gives her.

But Masha hit so little errors today...

A-Rod#1Fan
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Typical Lena match today... she drives you crazy with her inconsistent spurts... but luckily she won ALL the big points today, and it got her through.

Lena is more than a couple inches taller than Maria... for anyone who's seen Lena in person, they know she's a monster. Lena's a legit 6'3... where as I believe Maria is about Elena D's height.

As for my prediction... if Lena plays her game, and doesn't make tons of errors (big if)... she should give Maria tons of fits.

Lena loves playing against power because a) Lena can handle it, and will never stand back from it b) she gives her opponent no rhythm with her stupid tennis.

Also, Maria will have to contend with Lena Longlimbs at net... something she's probably never seen before.

I really like Maria... but this match, especially on grass, will be completely different than playing Ashley. Maria won't look as impressive... and I honestly see Lena winning this rather easily. Methinks my Lena may be finally coming back after today. :)

A-Rod#1Fan
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Lena is alot bigger than Maria. Probably 2 or 3 inches taller in height and 20 plus pounds heavier, too.

The question is will Lena be able to dictate play in this match? If so she should win. If not she probably won't win. One this is for sure. This will be an intense hard hitting match.
1) Lena is bigger.

2) Name one match where Lena hasn't dictated play. Hell, if Lena dictates play against Venus and Lindsay, and continues to while getting her ass kicked... she sure will dictate against Maria.

A-Rod#1Fan
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I think Elena may have knocked her own game back into shape after that win, I hope she does herself justice after todays performance. People may say she was lucky but she made sure she won the points that really matter. Sometimes to win, you gotta win ugly, but the match was beauty!

She has a really good shot of going far in this tournament!
Those people can fuck off...

The most important thing is winning the points that matter, and Lena did that.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:51 AM
I hope we get to see some of this match. Right now ESPN is showing the Serena match for the third time today.

And all these women look tall to me.

A-Rod#1Fan
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:05 AM
We won't see any of it... they're not American, so they don't matter.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Now ESPN2 is showing the Serena match. This is the fourth time today.
The only way Elena B. or Elena D. or any Russians will be on U.S. television is if they win a lot of matches this tournament.

And Lena must have competed really well in the third set to come back from 3-5 and win it.

AKTW
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Tough one but well done Lena! :)

Again,as usual,Russians draws each other in early rounds. :mad:
Good luck!

snoop
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:47 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030624/capt.1056490746wimbledon_xwim197.jpg

King Aaron
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Well done Lena.

goldenlox
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:26 PM
The only two times I have seen Lena play, all I could see was potential. Both times were against Lindsay, a player of similar size, and Lena has at least as much power and coordination. I would love to watch her play more to see her develop and mature.
If I had to pick who will be the number one ranked Russian three years from now, I would pick Lena. And I want to see her play.

LeonHart
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Bleh...Lena's match is on court 18, do they have cameras there?? :(

the cat
Jun 25th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Yes, court 18 has television coverage. But it's a very small court that only seats about 700 people and has very little access for the print media. But this match should be on court 1 or court 2. Putting it on court 18 is a bad idea because the media will want to cover this match between Elena Bovina and Maria Sharapova.

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Court 18 is decent, and Lina vs. Nastya with Alyona next all on court 3 is good also. Court 3 is were Sveta played doubles today.
But with Agassi, Serena, and Jenn playing, plus they might show Henman, I don't think we'll get more than a few points on ESPN.

And I am kicking some tail in GM.

goldenlox
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:02 PM
I saw the end of the first set of Lena's 3-6, 1-6 loss to Maria and she looked slow to me. Her movement, her reaction time, slow and ordinary.
From the little I've seen of Maria, she looks awesome, unbelievable. And her draw is sweet.

But disappointing for Lena, and I didn't like the headband. She looked a little like Amanda, imo.

Edit:I reread this and it's meaner than I meant it. It just seemed like Maria was waiting for the ball to get to her, and Elena did not look like she was controlling any points. I realize that Maria might be very special, and I know Lena can play better, and I hope she does soon.

snoop
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Maria played really great today. Bad luck Elena :sad:

Match Stats (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day4/2078ms.html)

Since when is Elena playing in Adidas clothes?

Elena is playing Mixed Doubles together with Scott Humphries(USA)

Dava
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Masha played just too good, but 90% of Elenas UF's could have landed in! Thats just thr truth!

the cat
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I wish I had see more of this match. But ESPN2 only showed 1 game and 3 points of this match! :mad: Nick Bollettieri said that Elena would be "scared to death" of playing Maria. I guess he was right. I expected Elena to put of a good fight out there. But Maria just ran away with the match.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Elena is a right mess now, she's barely won a match since March :sad: :sad:

no confidence at all in her game :sad:

Elleke
Jul 2nd, 2003, 01:10 PM
Lena :sad::sad:

goldenlox
Jul 3rd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Lena and Scott Humphries just beat Cara and Wayne Black 5&6(5) in a third round mixed doubles match.

Now Lena plays Ana Rodionova in a fourth round match.

A lot of Russians still playing on the second Friday.