PDA

View Full Version : Olympic predictions - Figure Skating

roots
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I know there are some Figure Skating fans (Mary Cherry among others) in here, so I just wanted to know your Olympic predictions. After all, figure skating is the most watched sports (in North America) during the Winter Olympics. Try and chose how you think the podium will end up, not who you hope wins a medal, but based on how they are skating right now. Here are my pics:

Ladies:
Gold - Michelle Kwan (USA)
Silver - Irina Slutskaya (Russia)
Bronze - Sarah Hughes (USA)

Men:
Gold - Alexei Yagudin (Russia)
Silver - Yevgeni Plushenko (Russia)
Bronze - Todd Eldridge (USA)

Pairs:
Gold - Jamie Salé and David Pelletier (Canada)
Silver - Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze (Russia)
Bronze - Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao (China)

Ice Dance: (This is a toss-up)
Gold: Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat (France)
Silver: Barbara Fusor Poli and Maurizio Margaglio (Italy)
Bronze: Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victo Kraatz (Canada)

Nicoleke
Jan 24th, 2002, 11:07 PM
Ladies:
Gold - Michelle Kwan ( USA )
Silver - Irina Slutskaya ( Russia )
Bronze - Maria Butyrskaya ( Russia )

Men:
Gold - Alexei Yagudin ( Russia )
Silver - Yevgeni Plushenko ( Russia )
Bronze - Alexander abt ( Russia )

Pairs:
Gold - Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze ( Russia )
Silver - Jamie Salé and David Pelletier ( Canada )
Bronze - Xue Shen and Hongbo Zhao ( China )

Ice Dance:
Gold: Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victo Kraatz ( Canada )
Silver: Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat ( France ) ;)
Bronze: Barbara Fusar Poli and Maurizio Margaglio ( Italy ).

roots
Jan 24th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Je suis surpris Mary Cherry que tu vois les Canadiens remporter l'or et Français l'argent en danse. J'aimerais tellement voir Shae-Lynn et Victor gagner (leurs programmes sont impécables), mais j'ai l'impression qu'avec l'absence du juges canadiens et américains sur le panel, que les Canadiens termineront 3e. Les juges (en majorité européens) préfèrent le style des Français et des Italiens. On ne doit pas oublier les Russes Lobacheva et Averbhuk. Ils peuvent venir mêler les cartes!

J'ai tellement hâte à cette compétition!

TennFreak2000
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:58 AM
roots, you seem pure genius! I think I agree with your complete list and would be absolutely thrilled with just about all of it if it were to happen as well!:bounce:

Justin
Jan 25th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Ladies:

Men:
Gold - Alexei Yagudin (Russia)
Silver - Yevgeni Plushenko (Russia)
Bronze - Tim Goebel (USA)

Pairs:
Gold - Jamie Salé and David Pelletier (Canada)
Silver - Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze (Russia)
Bronze - Kioko Ina and Jason Dunjeon (USA)

Sam L
Jan 25th, 2002, 03:42 PM
All I have to say is I'd just drop dead if Michelle Kwan doesn't win Gold! :(

My prediction, this looks about fine for me:

Justin
Jan 25th, 2002, 07:33 PM
LOL, have you heard this:

Bratty behavior backfires for Cohen

Yikes! Man-to-man defense. Body slams. Was that a figure-skating warm-up or a hockey game?

Nope, it was definitely the warm-ups before the long program at the U.S. National Championships on Jan. 12. But Sasha Cohen was certainly getting in her share of offensive moves.

She bumped into six-time national champ Michelle Kwan not once, but twice. She got in the way of other skaters Angela Nikodinov and Sarah Hughes. And she stuck to Kwan like glue so the skater never had the room she needed to warm up her triple toe-triple toe combination.

Some say that Cohen's strategy was to pysche out her opponents. Make them lose their cool. After all, if Kwan and others weren't on top of their game, it could leave room for the talented Cohen to snatch the title and assure her place on the Olympic team.

But is making a menace of one's self and alienating other skaters really the way a girl wants to win? What makes the supremely confident Cohen think she needs to resort to such tacky tactics?

We can't answer that question, but we can say Cohen's selfish ways in warm-up didn't work. Kwan said she had to mentally re-group after warm-ups. In fact, she bagged the triple-triple combination she had planned in her program and landed a triple-double instead. But she still blew away her competition--including Cohen, who placed a distant second. (Kwan, Cohen and Hughes each won spots on the Olympic team.)

Cohen told reporters she was just concentrating on her moves during warm-up. Yet, after the competition, skaters reportedly were buzzing about her performance. Unfortunately, it wasn't her beautiful, passionate skating in the short program that lingered in fellow skater's memories. It was the mind games.

Now who's the loser?

Nicoleke
Jan 25th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Ouais Roots, très " sincèrement " et sans " défétisme " prématuré, je les voient terminer premier devant le couple français. Bien évidement, j' adorai voir Marina Annisina et Gwendal Peizerat triompher, mais je suis prète à " parier " que les canadiens gagneront. La compétition se déroulera sur le sol américain, et leur programme, quel programme! , est pûrement et simplement " splendide ".

Je dois bien" avouer " que je n' ai jamais été une très grande " fan " de Shae Lynn Bourne et de Victor Kraatz, je trouvait leurs précédents programmes plein de sourire " mieuleux " et de " gna - gnan terie ", lol ( Désolée ! lol ;) ), mais j' adore vraiment ce programme, ce " medley " de chansons de Michaël Jackson, est superbement bien " patiné " et très " original ", il fait " évoluer " la danse.
De surcroît, comme, je pense que c' est le programme " P ", patiné le jour " J " qui doit être " noté ", et non, l' ensemble de la " carrière ", alors, je metterai les canadiens " premiers", parce que leur programme est " merveilleux " . Après, je serai " déçue " si le couple français " perd ", mais ça fait partie du " jeu " :) . Je considère les italiens Barbara Fusar - Poli et Maurizio Margaglio sont " moins " forts que les deux autres, ils seront " troisième. ( Bon après, c' est également une " affaire " de sensibilité " artistique également ).

Le classement qui serait le plus " juste " sur " e " programme serai :

1- Bourne and Kraatz,
2- Annisina and Peizerat,
3- Drobiasko and Vanagas, j' adore " totallement " leur programme libre,

Voilà ;) .

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Jan 25th, 2002, 11:12 PM
Michelle gotta win this! ;) I saw some clips of her on CNN yesterday, and she's looking good! :D Go Michelle, go girl!!! :bounce:

the jamierbelyea
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Ladies

1. Michelle Kwan (USA)
2. Irina Slutskaya (RUS)
3. Fumie Suguri (JPN) - has the ability if she can land all her jumps..

Men

1. Alexei Yagudin (RUS)
2. Yevgeni Plushenko (RUS)
3. Timonthy Geobel (USA) - International judges won't be impressed w. No Quad Todd like Nat Judges are...

Pairs

1. Jamie Sale/David Pelletier (CAN)
2. Xue Shen/Hongbao Zhao (CHN)
3. Kyoko Ina/John Zimmerman (USA) (I see B/S having a bomd out long..)

Dance

1. Anasina/Peizerat
2. Bourne/Kraatz
3. Drobiazko/Vanagas

if judging is fair I think that will happen if not fair:

1. Fusar-Poli/Margalio
2. Anasina/Peizerat
3. Lovacheva/Averbuhk

Martian KC
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the article Justin!! Know wonder the other skaters aren't too fond of her! In interviews and all Michelle and Sarah distant themselves from sasha!LOL! If she is sticking to this kind of tactic.....I can not cheer her on anymore!!!:rolleyes:

Gold:Michelle Kwan(PLEEEEEEASE)
Silver:Maria Butyrskaya
Bronze:Irina Slutskaya

Gold:Alexei Yagudin
Silver:Todd Eldredge
Bronze:Yevgeni Plushenko

Good luck to Anton and Elena!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:35 AM
Go Anton/Elena :) bring the title home again :)

Hopefully Sarah Abitbol/ ?? (wotzhisname) can win a medal here as well, they deserve it

hopefully Elena has recovered from her ankle injury

Alexei will win the mens

I just hope Viktoria Voltchkova can win a medal here.

Michelle is gonna be impossible to beat but if there were judges from Russia, Belarus, Ukraine & co then she might ;)

Go Irina/Maria and Viktoria :)

Justin
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:50 AM
RUS and UKR will be there, for sure (unless lotteried out). BLS will be there if Soldatova has recovered from her injury. It seems as though she will.

GER and DEN appear to be on the verge of opting out, as well as JPN (who is seeking to opt out of their alternate status). :( If all 3 of them really do opt out, Michelle's goose is cooked. That is such crap!

roots
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:53 AM
Here's a complete breakdown of the judging pannel of the up-coming Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. This is taken from the International Skating Union's official site. Like I said before, no American or Canadian judge in Ice Dance, bad news for Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kraatz.

Men Ladies Pairs Ice Dance
Australia 1 - - -

Azerbaijan 1 - - 1
Belarus - 1 - -
Bulgaria 1 - - 1
Canada - 1 1 -
China 1 - 1 -
Czech Rep. - - 1 -
Denmark - 1 - -
France - - 1 -
Finland 1 1 - -
Germany 1 1 1 1
Israel - - - 1
Italy - 1 - 1
Japan 1 - 1 -
Lithuania - - - 1
Poland - - 1 1
Romania 1 - - -
Russia - 1 1 1
Slovak Rep. - 1 - -
Switzerland - - - 1
Ukraine 1 1 1 1
USA 1 1 1 -

TOTAL 10 10 10 10

Stand-by Judges (in order):

Ladies: Netherlands, Japan, Hungary
Men: Canada, France, Russia
Pairs: Azerbaijan
Ice Dancing: Great Britain, USA, China, Czech Republic, Canada, France.

roots
Jan 26th, 2002, 01:59 AM
I'm having problems with the formating, hope you guys understand!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 26th, 2002, 02:24 AM
simple enough :)

M2k
Jan 26th, 2002, 02:40 AM
Ughhhhh!! It makes me sick to my stomach to think that Russ. and company would do everything in their power to put Irina over Michelle:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

btw, lol at sasha :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: yikes!

Go Michelle:kiss: :kiss:

Phoenix
Jan 26th, 2002, 12:02 PM
am i the only one here to think
that slutskaya is gonna win this ;)
sorry guys,but imo even if not by the
judge she has ability to beat kwan :cool:

Justin
Jan 26th, 2002, 07:15 PM
That is the current list of judges. As I said, Denmark, Germany, and Japan have expressed desires to opt out of sitting on the panel. Their requests will not be granted, if at all, until the eve of the Games, so the list will not reflect that.

the jamierbelyea
Jan 27th, 2002, 08:42 AM
The article on Sasha seems rather biased in my opinion..You can't assume what she was trying or planning to do in that warm up, or whether or not the bumps were accidental..If they had actually collided, than no one would be pointing fingers would they..?

Justin
Jan 27th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Here's another article on it

Cohen not afraid to mix it up during warm-ups

LOS ANGELES — Wasn't it something the way Sasha Cohen pushed her way on to the U.S. Olympic team Saturday night?

And I do mean pushed.

And barged. And got in the way. And stared. And made herself an all-around nuisance in one of the more self-centered warm-up performances in recent U.S. figure skating history.

The upset of the evening was that all of Cohen's top five rivals were still standing after the six-minute practice session they shared immediately preceding their long programs at the U.S. national championships. I don't mind a little gamesmanship, a Katarina Witt staredown, say, but this was ridiculous. This supremely confident young lady looked as if she had been assigned man-to-man coverage of Michelle Kwan from the moment they took the ice to warm up their jumps. And she took to the assignment with reckless abandon.

Let me tell you, sports fans, this is not the way a skating warm-up is supposed to go. The idea in these intense practice sessions is to get ready for your own long program while deftly avoiding the five other women on the ice doing the exact same thing. It's not an easy task. However, surprisingly enough, collisions are extremely rare, which leads us to only one conclusion: Skaters have eyes in the back of their heads.

Cohen adroitly used her second set of eyes Saturday evening to guide her on her own personal search-and-get-in-the-way mission across the ice. She bumped Kwan not once but twice and bird-dogged the national-champion-for-life throughout the warm-up.

Every time Kwan turned around, the 17-year-old Cohen was right there, Velcroed to her costume. A lesser sportswoman would have elbowed the kid into Section 119.

Instead, Kwan tried to stay focused and stick to her practice game plan, although it clearly wasn't easy. Due to the omnipresent Cohen, Kwan never had an opportunity to warm up her triple toe-triple toe combination. When it came time for her to skate her program, she attempted, and landed, a triple-double instead. Cohen also spun into Angela Nikodinov's path long enough to delay her attempt to practice her triple loop. And Sarah Hughes couldn't help but notice all the fender benders and traffic jams happening around her, later saying the near-misses were "worse than usual."

But it was Kwan, the 21-year-old veteran, who bore the brunt of Cohen's childish antics. Going first in the group of six, Kwan took an unusual amount of time after her name was called, half a minute or so, to skate around and compose herself before getting into her opening position.

It was because of Cohen.

"I had to really regroup and get myself together," Kwan said.

However, if Cohen's intent was to so rattle Kwan that she would hand the national title to Cohen, she failed miserably. After taking a big deep breath, Kwan blew the doors off the competition, which included Little Miss Cohen, who ended up the distant runner-up.

Backstage after the event, everyone was abuzz over Cohen's performance — and I'm not talking about her long program. Apparently, this was not a once-in-a-lifetime effort from Cohen. "She does this all the time," was the refrain from several skaters and coaches. Kwan and Nikodinov even had a little chat about Cohen at a practice Friday after she nearly checked another skater into the boards.

"I try to go through my steps, try to go around people, but I guess sometimes it's hard because everyone is really focused on getting their own stuff in," Cohen said in her own defense.

Ever the diplomat, Kwan refused to point a finger. However, given the opportunity to dismiss the unscheduled tête-à-têtes with Cohen as accidents, Kwan demurred.

This is not the first time a skater has played mind games with her competitors. This is, after all, the sport that gave us Tonya Harding. It also gave us Surya Bonaly, who landed an outrageous backflip in Midori Ito's face in practice at the 1992 Olympics. Clearly shaken, Ito was never the same during those Games, finishing second.

The Russians, particularly Maria Butyrskaya, have been known to make a run at rivals during practice sessions. If Sasha, Maria and Michelle all end up in the same warm-up group for the short or long program at the Olympics, I have a suggestion for Kwan:

Wear hockey pads.