PDA

View Full Version : Wimbledon 2003 news, articles and comments

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ashie_87
Mar 12th, 2003, 07:46 AM
HELLO!!! :wavey: :)
okies i know this is gonna sound REALLY stupid but does anyone know the dates for Wimbly this year???? i looked on the WTA site and couldn't find em'. They were probably there but i didn't see them...

pathfinder
Mar 12th, 2003, 09:08 AM
June 23rd - July 6th :)
..and i didn't find your question stupid.

~|Naomi|~
Mar 12th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Your question isn't stupid :)
Also if you want to find out any dates for any other tournament just go to www.wtatour.com and then click on tournaments at the top of the screen and the entire 2003 wta calender will come up :)

Hope this helps :D

Ashie_87
Mar 13th, 2003, 03:27 AM
:kiss: :p THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! :kiss: :p

I thought my question sounded stupid coz my paretns thought it was! :confused:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 13th, 2003, 05:14 AM
You are most welcome :)

Heehee 1 more post to go and I have 800 posts :D

Emza
Mar 17th, 2003, 05:45 AM
HELLO!!! :wavey: :)
okies i know this is gonna sound REALLY stupid but does anyone know the dates for Wimbly this year???? i looked on the WTA site and couldn't find em'. They were probably there but i didn't see em
...pls i need to know...withdrawal...must know all tourney dates or will go insane...
Speaking of which, does anyone know how good the coverage is in Australia? I've never really been interested in the wimbly, French or US. I always follow the Australian, well for obvious reasons, ans I loooooove the Hopman Cup. I worship the Hopman cup..... :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

~|Naomi|~
Mar 17th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Speaking of which, does anyone know how good the coverage is in Australia? I've never really been interested in the wimbly, French or US. I always follow the Australian, well for obvious reasons, ans I loooooove the Hopman Cup. I worship the Hopman cup..... :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Coverage of Wimbledon is usually very good both channel 9 and foxtel show it live, channel 9 has the rights to the big courts (centre and court 1) so foxtel show the other courts so you get most of the matches in the first week live and you can flip between channels, and watch a match you want to. Coverage of US Open is similar as both channels show it. French Open is usually shown live on foxtel and they have very good coverage, i think channel 7 showed a bit of it last year but their converage sucked :o

So yeah coverage is normally very good :)

spiritfullfrog
Mar 17th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Coverage of Wimbledon is usually very good both channel 9 and foxtel show it live, channel 9 has the rights to the big courts (centre and court 1) so foxtel show the other courts so you get most of the matches in the first week live and you can flip between channels, and watch a match you want to. Coverage of US Open is similar as both channels show it. French Open is usually shown live on foxtel and they have very good coverage, i think channel 7 showed a bit of it last year but their converage sucked :o

Also adding to what kim&lleytonrule, channel 7 is also showing french this year! hope they get a bit better! :)

Mercury Rising
Mar 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM
You all are very lucky to live in such a country. We just don't have the money I guess or the interest.

Aussie_Kim
Mar 17th, 2003, 10:57 AM
You all are very lucky to live in such a country. We just don't have the money I guess or the interest.

Well we didn't get the final of IW which i was very upset bout. Expect on pay tv which my parents are 2 scab to pay for.

:bounce: Good luck for Miami Kim :hearts: Lleyton :hearts: !!! :bounce:

Ashie_87
Mar 18th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Well we didn't get the final of IW which i was very upset bout. Expect on pay tv which my parents are 2 scab to pay for.

:bounce: Good luck for Miami Kim :hearts: Lleyton :hearts: !!! :bounce:

i know!
one of my friends even has pay tv and she only got VERY vague coverage and it was on at like 4am!!!! (EST in Australia) SOOOO pissed off!!!

Emza
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:26 AM

Channel 7 does suck at coverage of all the big things outside of Aus.

E. Blackadder
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:36 AM
The tournament changed their name to Kimbledon :)

Lynx
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:50 PM
The tournament changed their name to Kimbledon :):D :D :D

Ashie_87
Mar 25th, 2003, 03:50 AM
The tournament changed their name to Kimbledon :)

LMAO!!! :worship: and so they should! :p

Mercury Rising
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Go Kim win Wimbledon for us and make it Kimbledon!! :bounce:

fifiricci
Apr 30th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Its front page news in the UK press today that bowing and curtseying to the Royal Box is no longer required.

Do the players still have to curtsey and bow to Queen Serena though? I'm sure she'll be expecting it!! :devil:

[Mod message:

moved thread for filing reasons]

IzzaBellaUK
Apr 30th, 2003, 06:42 PM
I think this is good. Wimbledon is moving with the times at last without losing it's aura. Now all they need to do is get rid of uniforms in British schools!!!!!!!
LMAO @ ur comment on Serena!! Your right. She should befriend Pat Cash, another who demands admiration. He is soo insecure he really annoys me.

Primula
Jun 12th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Ok I know it's early to start a thread about Wimby! But I found a nice article on the Official Wimbledon site! And I didn't know were to post it! So I decided to already start a tread about Wimby!
Here's the article:

Now the Belgians Are Famous At Last

© Harry Collins

Tuesday, June 10, 2003
In the womenís game Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne, who contested the first all-Belgian Grand Slam final at the French Open this month, have made such massive progress that they are ranked second and third respectively, having achieved the considerable feat of dividing the Williams sisters, Serena and Venus, in those rankings

And on the menís side Belgium produced a semi-finalist at The Championships last year in Xavier Malisse, who height contrasts vividly with the Rochus brothers, Olivier and Christophe, but who has teamed with them to give the country a fine Davis Cup squad.

Then, of course, we must not forget Kim Clijsters' younger sister, Elke, already ranked world number one in junior doubles.

The biggest headlines have come on the womenís side with the soaring success of Clijsters and Henin, who married Pierre Yves Hardenne at the end of last year. Almost exactly a year separates the two girls, with Henin celebrating her 21st birthday at the beginning of June and Clijsters becoming 20 seven days later.

They are separated more noticeably in height, with Clijsters a well-built 5ft 9in and Henin, even in her trademark white cap, a slim 5ft 5in. However, despite their differing physiques, both have beaten world number one Serena Williams in recent months, suggesting that Belgian could challenge her dominance over the womenís game.

Kim defeated both Williamses at the seasonís-end WTA Championships last November to win that prestigious title, while Justine became the first player to beat Serena this year at the Charleston tournament and then overcame her again in the French Open semi-finals.

Both women have shown that crucial ability to be able to perform well on all surfaces. Henin was runner-up at Wimbledon in 2001 and a semi-finalist last year, while Clijsters reached the last eight at The Championships in 2001 and the fourth round last year.

But it is the French Open, where Belgiumís glory became complete in front of the nationís king, Albert II, with Henin winning the race to capture her first Grand Slam. As for Kim, she has now appeared in two Roland Garros finals, so clearly the ultimate step of a major title will not be far away for her, either.

This year Henin has won four titles and Clijsters three. In addition to the French Open, Henin is the champion of Dubai, Charleston and Berlin, while Clijsters triumphed in Sydney, Indian Wells and Rome, with the Berlin final, like the French, being an all-Belgian one as Justine beat Kim 6-4 4-6 7-5.

The Indian Wells victory was a unique one for Clijsters, since the menís title was won by Lleyton Hewitt, her boy friend for the last three and a half years. Kim has famously, and repeatedly, said she does not care whether or not she becomes world number one. The priorities for this girl who has a former Belgian Footballer of the Year (Leo) for a father and an ex-international gymnast (Els) for a mother, is to stay healthy and happy.

Similar sentiments can be heard from Justine, who has overcome the devastating blow of losing her mother to cancer when she was only 12 and whose priorities lie in eventually having a family. Meantime, however, there are tennis titles to be won by both of these supremely talented Belgians.

Malisse, 6ft 1in and ponytailed, last year became the first Belgian to finish in the menís top 25. That semi-final appearance at Wimbledon was his highlight of 2002, a rain-delayed five-set marathon contest in which his medical condition, an irregular heartbeat, required treatment before he eventually lost to David Nalbandian.

Of the Rochus brothers, the younger Olivier has been the most successful to date, having won the Palermo title two years ago. This 22-year-old lost in the Copenhagen final in February, while the 24-year-old Christophe was runner-up to Juan Carlos Ferrero on the clay of Valencia last month.

Written by Ronald Atkin
e article:

Cilla
Jun 12th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the article :D

Kim is in a Wimby advert on the BBC :D

:bounce: Good Luck at Wimby Kim :bounce:

Peridotpixie
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I really, really hope Kim gets the number 2 seed she deserves at Wimby. Otherwise she could end up in a Serena semi! But I have a sinking feeling that they'll give the 2 seed to Justine, who is ranked 3, but just won a GS and made the semis last year.

ans
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:19 PM
it's never too early :)
thanx!

jenglisbe
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:24 PM
If anyone gets the #2 seed besides Kim, I think it will be 2-time champion (and last year's finalist) Venus. It wouldn't really make sense to move Justine to #2 and still leave Venus out of the top 2.

I think they will either go by the rankings or will move Venus to the #2 seed. Since Kim has done so well this year, they may just leave the rankings as is (for the top 4 anyway).

Brαm
Jun 13th, 2003, 10:50 AM
Nice article :D

Thanks ;)

angele87
Jun 13th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the article :kiss:

Good luck Kim :kiss:

Ashie_87
Jun 13th, 2003, 12:26 PM
thanks for the article :kiss: :worship:

:bounce: GOOD LUCK KIM!!! :bounce:

Hawk
Jun 13th, 2003, 02:34 PM
If anyone gets the #2 seed besides Kim, I think it will be 2-time champion (and last year's finalist) Venus. It wouldn't really make sense to move Justine to #2 and still leave Venus out of the top 2.

I think they will either go by the rankings or will move Venus to the #2 seed. Since Kim has done so well this year, they may just leave the rankings as is (for the top 4 anyway).

I agree..I think that is why they will keep the seedings according to the rankings. There is no way to shift around Venus or Justine that won't create a fuss.

Primula
Jun 13th, 2003, 03:07 PM
The seeds will be announced on Thuesday 17th June!

iomchic
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I am away for the whole of Wimbledon :( . I leave the day before it starts and return the day after it ends. Its so frustrating!

fifiricci
Jun 16th, 2003, 12:32 PM
There's a couple of features on Kim in the Guardian's guide to Wimbledon today (Guardian is a UK newspaper). One is a Q&A thing as follows:-

Who will win wimbledon this year?

Kim says: "Serena Williams, because she hits so hard, or Justine Henin, who moves well on grass. And Lleyton of course.

Who will be the surprise package?

Kim: There could be many - Elena Dementieva, Jennifer Capriati or Anastasia Myskina, who is very tough on grass.

What is the biggest change to your game on grass?

Kim: You have to stay lower all the time, which can make it painful for the knees and back. And no two balls bounce the same.

Which is your least favourite court at Wimbledon?

Kim: I guess court no 2, whre i lost to Elena Lihkovtseva last year. I also lost a junior final there to Katarina Srebotnik.

What do you look forward to about London apart from the tennis?

Kim: Staying in a house - a lot more personal than a hotel. Having made a few friends now, we really enjoy Wimbledon Village.

What is the best freebie you have had at Wimbledon?

Kim: The tickets I got for my whole family to come and watch me play a match against Steffi Graf a few years ago.

Do you have any superstitions?

Kim: I like to eat at the same restaurants during Wimbledon. There's a nice Indian we eat at and a Chinese takeaway.

What is the most peculiar thing you carry around the world with you?

Kim: My Yahtzee game. I do my best to beat my coach at it and anyone else.

If you win who would you like to dance with at the Champions Ball

Kim: Lleyton, thats an easy one.

Which one thing would make Wimbledon better?

Kim: More sun!

Nice one Kim!! If any of you dont know yahtzee, its a great game.

Hawk
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
If you win who would you like to dance with at the Champions Ball

Kim: Lleyton, thats an easy one.

Wouldn't it be funny if she said someone else :p

Hawk
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:48 PM
They just released the top seeds for wimbledon..they stuck with the ranking on the women's side :D

Kim is the #2 seed at Wimbledon :bounce:

plus they switched Lleyton and Agassi..Lleyton is the #1 seed :D

Bigkimfan
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:29 PM
They just released the top seeds for wimbledon..they stuck with the ranking on the women's side :D

Kim is the #2 seed at Wimbledon :bounce:

plus they switched Lleyton and Agassi..Lleyton is the #1 seed :D

yihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :worship:
:worship: :worship:

jenglisbe
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:37 PM
I am sad that Kim said Serena or Justine will win Wimbledon :( She needs to believe she can beat those two...

Go, Kim!! Win the singles and doubles!

Bigkimfan
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:00 PM
I am sad that Kim said Serena or Justine will win Wimbledon :( She needs to believe she can beat those two...

Go, Kim!! Win the singles and doubles!

I don't get it, why doesn't she consider herself as a possible winner?! :sad:

Laur
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I know she needs to believe in herself.

Peridotpixie
Jun 16th, 2003, 06:46 PM
I don't get it, why doesn't she consider herself as a possible winner?! :sad:

Kim is a modest gal. She's never considered herself to be a favorite in press conferences. Even when she's asked about being a favorite she says that she's taking it one match at a time, etc.
I'm sure she feels she has a chance.

IzzaBellaUK
Jun 16th, 2003, 07:40 PM
I'm going to Wimbledon on June 28th, middle saturday :), with my squad and coach. Is anyone else coming? I love to player hunt when I'm not watching games, last year I met dokic, huntuchova, Blake and Sa.

Come-on-kim
Jun 16th, 2003, 08:10 PM
Come On Kim!!

Lynx
Jun 20th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Kim is a modest gal. She's never considered herself to be a favorite in press conferences. Even when she's asked about being a favorite she says that she's taking it one match at a time, etc.
I'm sure she feels she has a chance.
Hear hear. :)

But it's not only modesty, it's a simple question of manners too. That's what I like so much about her: she's never boasting, never heralding she'll be number 1 one day, or win this, or win that...

I heard her say that only once: when she was 10, lol. (See the vid of little Kim on her site: "Who do you want to beat?" - "Everyone!").

I think she still wants to beat everyone, have no fear, Jenglisbe. And she will - eventually.

But she will always say something nice about others, in all honesty, what some other players simply can't.

And THAT'S what makes her so Classy :) :) :).

~|Naomi|~
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Hear hear. :)

But it's not only modesty, it's a simple question of manners too. That's what I like so much about her: she's never boasting, never heralding she'll be number 1 one day, or win this, or win that...

I heard her say that only once: when she was 10, lol. (See the vid of little Kim on her site: "Who do you want to beat?" - "Everyone!").

I think she still wants to beat everyone, have no fear, Jenglisbe. And she will - eventually.

But she will always say something nice about others, in all honesty, what some other players simply can't.

And THAT'S what makes her so Classy :) :) :).

I agree, I think Kim does believe she can win, but if she is asked who she thinks will win wimbledon she is hardly going to say 'oh yeah I think I'm going to win' and of course she believes she can beat henin!! I don't think any player would say themselves when asked who they thought would win a tournament.

nicky
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:41 PM
I don't think any player would say themselves when asked who they thought would win a tournament.

Hmmm...I could think of a certain player who would. ;) :) :angel:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 20th, 2003, 12:46 PM

LOL - I think I know who you are referring to ;)

Does anyone know if the outfit Kim is wearing in Rosmalen is the one she is wearing in WImbledon, cause if it is Fila are so slack they really need to make their players some new outfits. I know this is the first time Kim has worn it, but Dokic has been wearing the sleevless version since Antwerp and Kuznetsova wore the sleeved version at the Australian Open and capriati has been wearing it for ages to. As well at the french the girls wore the red outift which was made for LA. The guys wearing Fila having got anything new either. Fila need to start making new outfits, nike make new ones all the time, look at Daniela she changes hers almost every tournament and so does Lindsay.

Come-on-kim
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:16 PM
two players come to my mind!

spiritfullfrog
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM
Nice article...

Wimbledon the ultimate prize for Clijsters

Simon Cambers
DEN BOSCH, Netherlands, June 20 (Reuters) - World number two Kim Clijsters says winning Wimbledon would mean more to her than any of the other three grand slams.

Clijsters, who crushed Barbara Rittner to reach the Ordina Open final on Friday, thinks the history of Wimbledon elevated it to a status above the French, U.S. and Australian Opens.

The Belgian has reached two French Open finals, losing to Jennifer Capriati in 2001 and her compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne this year.

"If you see the history of Wimbledon, it means a lot more than the other grand slams," Clijsters said.

"From talking to Lleyton (Hewitt, her boyfriend and the defending Wimbledon champion), for every Australian the biggest thing is to win Wimbledon."

Clijsters said the presence of so many previous champions at Wimbledon merely added to the occasion.

"It's great to have them there but sometimes, when you see them in the executive box, it makes you a little nervous," she said.

Clijsters also hit back at those who questioned her desire after the French Open, where she took defeat graciously having appeared to freeze as Henin-Hardenne became the first Belgian to win a grand slam event.

"Well, sometimes all the media want is for you to sit there and cry so they have something to write about," she said.

"Every day there are things in the newspapers that are much worse than losing a tennis match. I wasn't going to sit in my room feeling sad.

"But I definitely have the desire."

~|Naomi|~
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:15 AM
Nice article...

Wimbledon the ultimate prize for Clijsters

Simon Cambers
DEN BOSCH, Netherlands, June 20 (Reuters) - World number two Kim Clijsters says winning Wimbledon would mean more to her than any of the other three grand slams.

Clijsters, who crushed Barbara Rittner to reach the Ordina Open final on Friday, thinks the history of Wimbledon elevated it to a status above the French, U.S. and Australian Opens.

The Belgian has reached two French Open finals, losing to Jennifer Capriati in 2001 and her compatriot Justine Henin-Hardenne this year.

"If you see the history of Wimbledon, it means a lot more than the other grand slams," Clijsters said.

"From talking to Lleyton (Hewitt, her boyfriend and the defending Wimbledon champion), for every Australian the biggest thing is to win Wimbledon."

Clijsters said the presence of so many previous champions at Wimbledon merely added to the occasion.

"It's great to have them there but sometimes, when you see them in the executive box, it makes you a little nervous," she said.

Clijsters also hit back at those who questioned her desire after the French Open, where she took defeat graciously having appeared to freeze as Henin-Hardenne became the first Belgian to win a grand slam event.

"Well, sometimes all the media want is for you to sit there and cry so they have something to write about," she said.

"Every day there are things in the newspapers that are much worse than losing a tennis match. I wasn't going to sit in my room feeling sad.

"But I definitely have the desire."

Thanks for the article
Love the last line :angel:

jenglisbe
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:09 PM
I think Serena would say she will win, and Justine would, too (she would say she has a good chance or something). Venus would, too. All have won majors.

Still, I also agree that Kim is a very modest, classy person. I have always said this is why so many people like her - but also what holds her back on the tennis court. It reminds me a lot of Sabatini. She was always so nice, and she had such a hard time closing matches and winning big matches. She just lacked that killer instinct that someone like Graf had.

Ultimately who we are as people matters more than how many titles we win, and I have to remind myslf of that :)

Dava
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM
I secretly hope its an all Belgian final again, cos todays match was really great!

kit
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:53 PM
Thank you very much for the aricles and the interview.
GOOD LUCK KIM IN WIMBLEDON!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

buble
Jun 21st, 2003, 06:22 PM
yey :bounce: kim has to play on monday against Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios. i can watch it because idon't have to go to school! :bounce:
Good luck Kimmie :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

chandra
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:12 PM
That means i am going to miss it... Exam 'biopolymeren' 02.00 pm
:sad: :sad: :sad:

But i am sure i will hear from you guys how it went afterwards, cause I can't program my videorecorder.
And I simply don't have the time to study the manual as well.

Anyway GOOD LUCK to KIM

Ashie_87
Jun 22nd, 2003, 08:15 AM
thanks for the article :kiss: :worship:

Lynnsha
Jun 22nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
Order of play for tomorrow. Kim is sencond just after Lleyton :D

Centre Court 1.00 pm Start
1. Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)[1] v. Ivo Karlovic (CRO)

followed by:
2. Ladies' Singles - 1st Rnd.
Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios (PAR) v. Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]

3. Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
John Van Lottum (NED) v. Gustavo Kuerten (BRA)[17]

:bounce: :bounce: Good Luck to Lleyton and Kim !!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Bigkimfan
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM
Good luck Kim!!!! Come on!!!!!!!!!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Come-on-kim
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:19 PM
COME ON KIMMIE!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

tara
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:39 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: C'mon Kim :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: C'mon Ll :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

angele87
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:45 PM
Good luck to Lleyton and Kim tomorrow :kiss:

Gabra
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:07 PM
:bounce: GOOD LUCK KIM :bounce:
:bounce: GOOD LUCK LLEYTON :bounce:
:bounce: TAKE THE LLEYKI DOUBLE :bounce:

jenglisbe
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:14 PM
I am so excited that Kim gets to play on Centre Court!! Hopefully she will take a liking to it these next few weeks :)

Anyway, there is just something so special/different about Wimbledon. I love the green grass on opening day, and I love the sound of the ball at Wimbledon. It just has a nice heir about it...

kit
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:15 PM
:bounce: Good luck Kim and Lleyton you can do it!! :bounce:
Come on!!! :fiery:

Hawk
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:21 PM
Just a little piece of the Day 1 Preview they had at Wimbly's site :)

"Hewitt, of course, will be 100 per cent focused on toppling the big fellow, and as rapidly as possible. Nothing would appear to stand in the way of this worthy aim, which would make way for Kim Clijsters as the next match on Centre.

A nice touch, this, from the order of play committee, to usher Hewitt's girl friend onto the most famous court in the sport just as he exits. Or perhaps it was just a coincidence, since Clijsters, runner-up at this month's French Open, is ranked second in the world and seeded accordingly here, which makes her important enough in her own right.

Kim is not playing a would-be basketball star, but her opponent rejoices in a name, and place of origin, which glitters like a bird of plumage. She is Rosanna Neffa-De Los Rios and she is a 27-year-old from Asuncion, Paraguay who - less exotically - calls Miami an alternative residence. Last year she reached Wimbledon's second round. This time, alas, that feat surely is beyond her."

~|Naomi|~
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:37 AM
I'm so happy Kim is on centre court, but I bet crappy channel 9 here in Aus wont show it, they will show lleyton and then show court 1 pfft as if stosur is even oging to win a game. And oxtel won't show it cause they only have rights to show all the other courts, except court 1 and centre.

Good luck to Kim and Lleyton :bounce:

Lisbeth
Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:58 AM
I also hope Leyton wins quick smart so I can stay up late enough to watch Kim (crossing fingers that at least one channel will deem Kim popular enough to show. If they show Roddick instead I will have palpitations though.

Go Kim!

Lleykimmy1
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
Come on Kim !!!
Come on Lleyton !!!

You can do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce:

spiritfullfrog
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:51 AM
I'm so happy Kim is on centre court, but I bet crappy channel 9 here in Aus wont show it, they will show lleyton and then show court 1 pfft as if stosur is even oging to win a game. And oxtel won't show it cause they only have rights to show all the other courts, except court 1 and centre.

Good luck to Kim and Lleyton :bounce:

You aren't telling me that foxtel aren't allowed to show us Centre Court??? (i.e. Kim & Lleyton tonight??) :fiery: Cause if thats what you're saying I am sooo pissed!!! :mad: And I think channel 9's coverage starts real late!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:57 AM
You aren't telling me that foxtel aren't allowed to show us Centre Court??? (i.e. Kim & Lleyton tonight??) :fiery: Cause if thats what you're saying I am sooo pissed!!! :mad: And I think channel 9's coverage starts real late!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Well the last few years and i'm pretty sure this year to channel 9 has rights to centre and court 1 and foxtel shows the other courts like court 2 etc. and then in rain delays they show matches from centre and 1 cause nine have already showed them. I'm hoping its different this year but I'd assume it wil be the same.

Come-on-kim
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:26 AM
And here it is, my 4500 post go for our Kimmie!!! May it bring Kim all the luck she needs these two weeks to make them extraordinary for her and us!!

COME ON KIMMIE!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GOOD LUCK AGAINST ROSSANA NEFFA-DE LOS RIOS!!!

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:41 PM
Lleyton just lost in the first round!! Now Kim has to go out there in, what, under 30 minutes and play her first round. I know she will be sad for Lleyton...get it, Kim!

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Ok, Kim is already up a break :) Looks like she was able to push Lleyton's loss out of her mind...of course, she has had some experience with Lleyon losing before her in majors this year.

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
Kim is up 5-0 and has already been to net 5 times (winning 4)!! It looks like the grass is helping her aggressiveness...

tara
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM
Kim won 6-0 6-0 :bounce:
congrats Kim

LL :sad: :sad: :sad:

ans
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:26 PM
wow, she's on fire!! watch out everyone! well done, kim! :kiss:

Pinkie
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:27 PM
Was that a match or a training session? :worship: Well done, especially since Lley just lost. That's mental focus for ya ;)

Elke
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:28 PM
Sho looked hot and piss*ed!:D

Congrats to her! :kiss:

Lynx
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:28 PM
She only needed 32 minutes, 2 x 16 minutes :worship: :worship:

Hawk
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Was that a match or a training session? :worship: Well done, especially since Lley just lost. That's mental focus for ya ;)

:eek: :o :eek: :o

I actually think she may have focused even more to block out Lleyton's loss :sad:

God did she look pissed..Poor Rosanna :o she had to step out right in front of the K-train ;)

jenglisbe
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:39 PM
I love that Kim looked pissed! LOL! I hope she won't be happy with anything less than a win!

Aussie_Kim
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Well done Kimmie.
32 minutes I have to admit it cant have been nice for Rosanna. ;)
I think Kim is pretty pissed off. Though haven't seen match & we're not likely 2 get it either cos LLeyton & Sam played so they'll show those matches. Oh well, she won :)
Poor Lleyton :sad:
At least he'll have plenty of time to give Kim all the attention she deserves & watch lots of matches ;)

Ting
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Awww Lleyton:sad::sad::sad:
She'll win the title for Lleyton I'm sure!

Aussie_Kim
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:48 PM
I hope so LleytonkimRULE
That would be soo sweet. I'm still getting over her FO speech. She is soo... :hearts: :hearts:

~Sasha~
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:07 PM
I still cannot believe that LL lost :eek: :sad: :eek: :sad: But lets hope that Kimmie can make up for it by winning the tournament :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Kornelija
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:10 PM
In Eurosport scoreboard they told about Kimmie this:

17:14 : CENTRE COURT: There is nothing that can stop Clijsters!!!! She is not giving away the slightest point and definitely wants to head back to the locker room and console her little sweetheart :kiss: !! She is 5-0 in the second already!!!! :worship:

Nice words!!!LL surely needs some consolation!!!AND QUICKLY!!!

Hawk
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:15 PM

17:14 : CENTRE COURT: There is nothing that can stop Clijsters!!!! She is not giving away the slightest point and definitely wants to head back to the locker room and console her little sweetheart :kiss: !! She is 5-0 in the second already!!!! :worship:

Maybe she was picturing Rosanna as Karlovic :o

Kornelija
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:20 PM

Poor Karlovic ;) :p

kim&lleyton
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:48 PM
Way the go Kimmie!!!
My God did she looked Pissed Off!!!
Never seen her like that. btw isn't this a record win in 32 min??? Should check the books.....
To bad LL lost:sad:
But Next time better.
:kiss:

Lynnsha
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:50 PM
Poor Rosana. :p
Congratulations Kim :D . Now do the same against Razzano :bounce:

Lleyton :sad: :sad: :sad: why why :sad: :sad:

Come-on-kim
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Congrats KIMMIE!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Brαm
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
WOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! Great result :hearts: :D

Well done Kimmeke :kiss:

~Sasha~
Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:57 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: Poor LL, Kimmie will have her work cut out consoling him tonight :sad: :sad: :sad:

Hawk
Jun 23rd, 2003, 05:06 PM
The article from Wimbledon's site :)

Clijsters Wastes No Time

Monday, June 23, 2003

Number two seed Kim Clijsters enjoyed a brief spell in the sun on the opening day of The Championships, taking just 31 minutes to crush Rosanna Neffa-De Los Rios of Paraguay 6-0, 6-0. It was an impressive showing on Centre Court, coming just minutes after the 20-year-old Belgianís boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, sensationally lost his crown on the same turf.

Clijsters, who was runner-up to her compatriot, Justine Henin-Hardenne, at the French Open earlier this month, was ruthless in recording one of the fastest wins ever seen at Wimbledon. In a completely one-sided match, Clijsters struck four aces and landed 69% of her first serves on target.

It was the first match between the two women and the 27-year-old Neffa-De Los Rios, who is married to a Paraguayan professional footballer, will be hoping they do not meet again in a hurry.

lol @ the last line :p no kidding

Elleke
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
:bounce: :D :) :D Kim!!

Bigkimfan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:32 PM
Great match Kim!!!! Well done!!!!! Good luck in your next match!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce:

Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Lynnsha
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:37 PM
Breeze for Clijsters - but Lleyton's loss clouds her day

Click to enlarge photo

LONDON (AFP) - Title hopeful and Belgian second seed Kim Clijsters had a breeze of a day at the office, thrashing Paraguay's Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios 6-0, 6-0 to reach the second round of the women's singles at Wimbledon.

But after enjoying herself in the south London sunshine to advance in just 32min to a meeting with Virginie Razzano of France her day still ended under a cloud when she learned that boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt had become only the second men's champion in history to crash on the opening day.

Hewitt went down in four sets to Croatian qualifier Ivo Karlovic before a shocked centre court crowd as his title defence ended barely two hours after it had begun.

"I would have loved for him to win. But, you know, tennis is tennis. If your opponent is better there's nothing you can do," said the 20-year-old, who came here on the back of losing the French Open final to Justine Henin-Hardenne in an historic all-Belgian final.

"It's hard. I would rather see him win but I'm not shocked. I think as a tennis person you know how hard it is to be out there and to play those first rounds.

"Maybe not today but I think on some other occasions I've had pretty tough matches as well and on other occasions there have been a lot of top players who lost in early rounds.

"So I don't think it's a matter of being shocked. I think it's a matter of understanding the game a little bit."

On her own showing Clijsters, who arrived here with the Rosmalen trophy under her arm - claimed after Henin-Hardenne was forced to pull out with a hand injury - had plenty to smile about.

"To have a match like this is obviously great. I was feeling the ball very well.

"I think Rosmalen is the perfect tournament to get a few matches under your belt before getting into the third Grand Slam of the year."

On her chances of going all the way and winning Wimbledon to go one better than Henin-Hardenne's 2001 final loss to Venus Williams, Clijsters was quietly confident but also guarded in her optimism, all the more so after Hewitt's demise.

"I'll definitely fight as hard as I can and I'll do everything 100 percent. If it happens, it happens.

"If it doesn't I can't blame myself for not trying or not trying hard enough."

Lynnsha
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:44 PM
Kim Clijsters - Day 1
Monday, June 23, 2003

K. CLIJSTERS/R. Neffa-De Los Rios

6-0, 6-0

MODERATOR: Questions for Kim.

Q. You can't start a Grand Slam challenge any more emphatically than that. You must be very pleased?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Definitely. I mean, I played pretty well at the end of the Rosmalen. I was happy to let my game get into this week and have that level, the same level. That's always tough in the beginning of a Slam to be right on your game.

You know, to have a match like this is obviously great. I was feeling the ball very well. It's always nice to have one of those, yeah.

Q. You obviously weren't distracted by what had happened before?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, I wasn't.

Q. Did that give you any extra motivation?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, not more or not less than any other match would have been in front of me, no.

Q. A lot of players choose not to play the week before a big Grand Slam. You did and you won. Does that give you more confidence or do you usually prefer not to play?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, it all depends on the time that you have. Of course, I -- I think -- I didn't have a big gap between the French and Wimbledon here. But I felt like I needed some matches. I think Rosmalen is the perfect tournament to get a few matches under your belt before getting into the third Grand Slam of the year.

But it all depends on how much time you actually have and how many weeks before. At the French, I didn't do it, I didn't play a tournament before, because I played Berlin and Rome. But here I felt like it was necessary to have those first few matches on grass, yeah.

Q. You've been so close to winning a Grand Slam. Do you think this is where you can do it?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I'll work as hard as possible. There's not more than I can do. I'll definitely fight as hard as I can and I'll do everything a hundred percent. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, you know, I can't blame myself for not trying or not trying hard enough.

Q. Do you feel this offers you your best chance of winning a Grand Slam?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. You know, there's a lot of players at the moment that are playing really well and that have a big chance, I think. So it's just a matter of being professional. I think a lot of the details count I think once you get further into the tournament.

Q. Also the surface and the event here.

KIM CLIJSTERS: I do. I think you play well in places where you feel well. And definitely Wimbledon is, you know, a place that means a lot to me, and I love coming here and I love the atmosphere, because I played Juniors final here a few years ago, three or four years ago. So that was obviously very, very nice, as well. And that made me sort of like enjoy coming back to Wimbledon even more.

So I definitely feel like this Grand Slam means more to me, I think, than any other one, yeah.

Q. Do you feel you've gone as far as you should have, given your talent, at Wimbledon?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. I think, you know -- last year I think it was a matter -- I mean, I hardly practiced since I had my shoulder injury, coming into Wimbledon, and the French then, as well. It's just a matter of the preparation that wasn't good enough. I think the year before I lost to Lindsay, who is obviously a good grass court player, as well.

I don't think I've definitely played my best tennis here, you know, so far, definitely not in the last few years.

Q. How much of a shock was Lleyton's defeat?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, you know, I mean, of course I would love him to win. But, you know, tennis is tennis. You go with two on the court. If your opponent is better, there's nothing more that you can do, just give yourself a hundred percent and keep fighting until it's finished. I'm sure that's what he did, as well.

So it's hard. Of course, like I said, I would have loved him to, you know, win that match. But there's a hundred other players who, you know, also want to win their first matches. So, of course, it's not nice for him to go through this now, but I'm sure he'll get over it.

Q. Are you still shocked at the result?

KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no. Of course, you know, I would rather see him win, but I'm not shocked. I think as a tennis person you know how hard it is to be out there and to play those first rounds. You know, maybe not for me today, but I think in some other occasions I've had pretty tough matches as well, and other occasions there have been a lot of top players who lost in early rounds. So I don't think it's a matter of being shocked. I think it's a matter of understanding the game I think a little bit.

Q. Did it take a while to work the disappointment of the French final out of your system?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I think it was pretty good to have that doubles the next day, as well, because I could sort of focus towards that a little bit more and not really reflect on what happened. And then when I went home, the next thing I was going to Rosmalen and practicing on grass. It was sort of a completely different view, different circumstances, as well.

So I don't think I really had -- sometimes it can be a good thing in tennis, you know, to not have that much time, and sometimes, you know, it can be a negative thing, as well. You win a tournament, you don't have that much time to enjoy it as much.

But, no, I mean, I don't -- if -- you know, I felt great about the way my clay court season has been. You know, I couldn't have done much better. So if, you know, the results at the French would come the same as here, then, you know, of course I would be super, super happy I think, yeah.

Q. What do you crave more, the No. 1 spot or a Grand Slam?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, I don't care. I really don't care. Any would be nice, of course. I don't really have a preference. They're both 50/50

fifiricci
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:29 PM
She was AWESOME today :eek:

If she keeps that aggression and form up she is going to do VERY WELL. Is by far the most comfortable I've seen her look on grass so far this year and her timing was impeccable. :D

pathfinder
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:31 PM
Kim! :kiss: Well done!
What a "nice"way to start... ;)

Lynnsha and Ileana,thanks for the interview and articles! :)

kit
Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Yeah,Kim looked very pissed,but I think that it's ok after Lleyton lost:sad:
Congrats Kimmie,but poor Rosana!

Lleykimmy1
Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:06 PM
I'm so happy for Kim ! :D , but so sad for Lleyton :sad:

possie
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:38 PM
Was that a match or a training session? Well done, especially since Lley just lost. That's mental focus for ya.

Have to agree with the mental focus!!! :worship: . But the way Kim looked and played the match, I don't care what she said, she looked as though she was getting revenge for Lleyt. :angel:

17:14 : CENTRE COURT: There is nothing that can stop Clijsters!!!! She is not giving away the slightest point and definitely wants to head back to the locker room and console her little sweetheart !! She is 5-0 in the second already!!!!

:hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: I'm sure she'll do a good job too :angel:

Congratulations on a great win Kim :bounce: .....look after Lleyton :angel:

Gabra
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:54 PM
Lleyton lost :fiery: but great win for Kim, she played very well today :worship:

Do it again in second round :bounce:

Dava
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:55 PM
Yay for Kim she played so well, hit every ball great, probably her best match for a while.

I hope she improves from this performance and takes it to the next level!!!!!!

Dava
Jun 23rd, 2003, 11:03 PM
http://www.thejewishgrapevine.com/bagel.gif

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:40 AM
From The Scotsman:

How other half lives as Clijsters plays love game

STUART BATHGATE

KIM Clijsters is Lleyton Hewittís partner, but she is happily unaffected by his present travails. Shortly after seeing her boyfriend lose the title he won so convincingly last year, Clijsters stepped out on to court and began the merciless 6-0, 6-0 dispatch of Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios.

The Belgian, seeded second this year behind Serena Williams, was simply far too powerful for the Paraguayan, who seemed relieved when the forensic dissection of her limited game was over. Clijsters, for her part, was as business-like as usual, both about her own result and Hewittís.

"Of course I would love him to win," she said. "But you go with two on the court, and if your opponent is better, thereís nothing more that you can do, just keep fighting until itís finished. Iím sure thatís what he did.

"Iíll work as hard as possible," she went on when asked if this tournament represented her best chance of winning a first grand slam title. "Thereís not more that I can do. "If it happens, it happens. If it doesnít, I canít blame myself for not trying hard enough."

The way the draw is configured, Clijsters will probably not have to try too hard for two or three rounds yet. The other chief contenders in her half also progressed straighforwardly yesterday, suggesting yet again that there is a gulf in the womenís game between the best half-dozen or so and the rest.

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:46 AM
The English newspapers having fun with headlines, as usual :p

From The Telegraph:

Clijsters shows all you need is six-love, six-love
By William Johnson* (Filed: 24/06/2003)

Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios, the only competitor from Paraguay in this year's tournament, paid a high price for the shock departure of the defending men's champion, Lleyton Hewitt, yesterday. She felt the full force of the backlash from Hewitt's girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, as the second seed for the women's singles produced a ruthless Centre Court display.

Quick service: Kim Clijsters won in straight sets

Clijsters, the world No 2 who along with her Belgian compatriot, Justine Henin-Hardenne, poses the main threat to the dominance of the Williams sisters in this event, required only 33 minutes beat her bemused opponent 6-0, 6-0.

The French Open runner-up, who expressed her delight in the way she has adapted to grass - she won at Rosmalen last week as Henin-Hardenne defaulted in the final - insisted that she gained no extra motivation from the defeat of her Australian boyfriend.

"Of course I would love him to win and it's not nice for him to go through this at the moment but he'll get over it," said Clijsters after her stroll on the same turf that had brought about Hewitt's downfall.

"You know how hard it can be to play the early rounds - maybe not for me today - but I've had some pretty tough opening matches as well and you have to understand that part of the game."

Clijsters, who believes she is now capable of notching her first Grand Slam title, is scheduled to face Venus Williams for a place in the final and there was little to suggest that Venus, who was denied a hat-trick of triumphs here 12 months ago by her sister, Serena, will not be keeping that date.

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 02:48 AM
From ABC Australia:

Breeze for Clijsters, but Lleyton's loss clouds her day

Title hopeful and Belgian second seed Kim Clijsters had a breeze of a day at the office Monday, thrashing Paraguay's Rossana Neffa-De Los Rios 6-0, 6-0 to reach the second round of the women's singles at Wimbledon.

But after enjoying herself in the south London sunshine to advance in just 32 minutes to a meeting with Virginie Razzano of France her day still ended under a cloud when she learned that boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt had become only the second men's champion in history to crash on the opening day.

Hewitt went down in four sets to Croatian qualifier Ivo Karlovic before a shocked centre court crowd as his title defence ended barely two hours after it had begun.

"I would have loved for him to win. But, you know, tennis is tennis. If your opponent is better there's nothing you can do," said the 20-year-old, who came here on the back of losing the French Open final to Justine Henin-Hardenne in an historic all-Belgian final.

"It's hard. I would rather see him win but I'm not shocked. I think as a tennis person you know how hard it is to be out there and to play those first rounds.

"Maybe not today but I think on some other occasions I've had pretty tough matches as well and on other occasions there have been a lot of top players who lost in early rounds.

"So I don't think it's a matter of being shocked. I think it's a matter of understanding the game a little bit."

On her own showing Clijsters, who arrived here with the Rosmalen trophy under her arm - claimed after Henin-Hardenne was forced to pull out with a hand injury - had plenty to smile about.

"To have a match like this is obviously great. I was feeling the ball very well.

"I think Rosmalen is the perfect tournament to get a few matches under your belt before getting into the third Grand Slam of the year."

On her chances of going all the way and winning Wimbledon to go one better than Henin-Hardenne's 2001 final loss to Venus Williams, Clijsters was quietly confident but also guarded in her optimism, all the more so after Hewitt's demise.

"I'll definitely fight as hard as I can and I'll do everything 100 percent. If it happens, it happens.

"If it doesn't I can't blame myself for not trying or not trying hard enough."

Pinkie
Jun 24th, 2003, 03:08 AM
More :p headlines...

KIM'LL FIX IT FOR HEW AS SHE PULLS A FAST ONE

Jun 24 2003
James Traynor

KIM CLIJSTERS was in a hurry yesterday, stopping by Centre Court just long enough to dismiss her poor Paraguayan opponent with a few waves of a hand.

You would have thought someone so lavishly named as Rosanna Neffa-De los Rios deserved more respect, but not Miss Clijsters.

She had a man to see, and not just any old bloke either.

The Belgian player was in a rush to get to the side of her boyfriend, Lleyton Hewitt, who was in need of sympathy after his shock loss to unknown Croat Ivo Karlovic, also on Centre Court.

She must have sensed the embarassment and turmoil into which her Australian partner was tumbling. That, of course, was bad news for Neffa-De Los Rios.

She was beaten 6-0, 6-0 in 31 short, sharp minutes, winning only 16 points in total. It was hard to watch as the Paraguayan, ranked 110 in the world, tried in vain to make a match of it against the world's No2 and second seed here and by the end she was just glad to get back to the locker room.

Clijsters won't have an easier match, although she would have been wise not to bounce into the room where Hewitt might have been sitting. He was trying hard not to slip into the darkness of his own despair, but Kim was sympathetic.

She said; "I would have loved to see him win his match but these first- round matches are difficult."

Already she had forgotten how easy her own had been but she continued: "If your opponent is better there's not much you can do apart from give 100 per cent, and I'm sure he did that.

"It is hard to be out there and a hundred other players are also trying to win their first-round matches."

At least Hewitt had a shoulder to cry on but Clijsters shouldn't get too close because she wouldn't want to be so near to failure right now, especially as the entire tournament is opening up before her.

jenglisbe
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:04 AM
Ok, now I'm getting nervous because for some reason it feels like this tournament is really coming together/aligning for Kim. I hope I am not jinxing anything!

Kornelija
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Ok, now I'm getting nervous because for some reason it feels like this tournament is really coming together/aligning for Kim. I hope I am not jinxing anything!

Yesterday I had the same thoughts but I pushed them away ;) Just in case, if Kimmie losses ;)

Aussie_Kim
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:08 AM
http://www.thejewishgrapevine.com/bagel.gif

Dava, thats wicked :bounce:
Poor Rosanna ;)
I love the way the media is say that Kim won for LLeyton :hearts:

Gabra
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Here's a little from eurosport

CLIJSTERS bt NEFFA DE LOS RIOS 6-0 6-0

The Belgian world number two, who won the grasscourt Ordina Open tournament at the weekend, hardly broke sweat in a match lasting 32 minutes. "I'm definitely pleased, it's important at the start of a slam to feel good with your game," Clijsters told reporters.

Clijsters perhaps had a point to prove after the first round defeat of her boyfriend and defending champion Lleyton Hewitt, whom she had followed on to Centre Court. She was simply no match for her 27-year-old opponent, ranked 110 in the world.

Clijsters will face Virginie Razzano who beat Anastassia Rodionova 6-3 6-1

tfannis
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:37 AM
Q. What do you crave more, the No. 1 spot or a Grand Slam?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Oh, I don't care. I really don't care. Any would be nice, of course. I don't really have a preference. They're both 50/50
Strange :confused: It's weird...it's like the comments on Kim the last couple of weeks affected her....when asked whether she thinks she'll win here she says "If it happens it happens" and when asked witch achievement she prefers she actually gives an answer..not the "as long as I have fun" answer....could it be she really want to show every one she actually wants to win a Slam and become the best player in the world? I'm happy she finally says some ambitious things :) I like her the way she is but a bit of ambition and killerinstinct won't hurt her :D

C'mon Kim :D Show them how ruthless you can be :worship: (But you don't have to come up with the Serena vs Amťlie face 'cause that's plain rediculous :o;))

fifiricci
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Maybe it will be good for Kim's mental attitude if she does stay a little bit mad all the way through. In her TV interview with the BBC yesterday they asked about her previous 2 GS final losses and whether she was going to change anything. She said her play would be the same but that she may change one or two things "about her preparation", so it sounds to me like she accepts that maybe there does need to be a change in her mental preparation and that she is going to address that.

Cilla
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=Pinkie]More :p headlines...

Gotta love it :p

LOL Dava! :p

Cilla
Jun 24th, 2003, 04:53 PM
More :p headlines...

Gotta love it :p

LOL Dava! :p

fifiricci
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:08 PM
BBC just covered a visit Kim made today to Great Ormond St Childrens Hospital in London. Got a really good look at that necklace and, oh boy, that is a major piece of bling bling!!

She was really sweet as usual and all the kids looked really chuffed to see her. She said that after Lleyton's loss last night they played football and yahtzee to help him get over it (personally I would have gone for beer and sex, but there we go!). Perhaps they did that later!!

Kim said she was working hard to improve her grass game and was feeling pretty comfortable. She didnt know what Lleyton's plans were about staying at Wimbledon, but she thought it would be good for him if he did, so he could support her and play some golf.

Then my bloody sister rang and I missed a lot of the chat after that. Maybe someone else caught the whole thing and can fill in the bits I missed.

Then they cut back to the studio and Sue Barker, Sam Smith and Tracey Austin all said how fabulous generally Kim was.

Nice, huh?!

Lynnsha
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM
oop for tomorrow.

Court 2 (Don't forget what happened last year)12.00 noon Start

1. Gentlemen's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)[12] v. Olivier Mutis (FRA)
followed by:

2. Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Shinobu Asagoe (JPN) v. Daniela Hantuchova (SVK)[9]

3. Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Virginie Razzano (FRA) v. Kim Clijsters (BEL)[2]

4. Ladies' Doubles - 1st Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[3] v. Corina Morariu (USA)
Venus Williams (USA)[3] Rennae Stubbs (AUS)

COME ON KIM !!!!! :bounce:

fifiricci
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Uh Oh, Kim's match against Razzano tomorrow is in court no 2, which is Kim's self confessed least favourite court. She doesnt like it because she's lost loads of matches there (eg in second round last year!!). :eek:

Hawk
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
She was really sweet as usual and all the kids looked really chuffed to see her. She said that after Lleyton's loss last night they played football and yahtzee to help him get over it (personally I would have gone for beer and sex, but there we go!). Perhaps they did that later!!

LMAO :o :p :angel:

Lynnsha
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:19 PM
(personally I would have gone for beer and sex, but there we go!). Perhaps they did that later!!

:D ;) :p

Mazza
Jun 24th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Court 2 :( Good Luck Kimmie! :bounce:

Bah! I missed the Kim thing! :sad: Too busy moaning about Boggo's loss! :o

Kim'll fix it for you! :p and you and you and ba ba ba! :p :p Classic! :p

kit
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Good luck Kim tomorrow.Come on!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:46 PM
pffff, third match! That might be a loooooong wait.

nicky
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Juij, third match! That's probably after work.
Perhaps I might see some of it now. Yesterday she was finished by the time I picked my daughter up at school...although she had barely started when I left work ;) .

Come-on-kim
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM
COME ON KIMMIE!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Good Luck Against Virginie!!!!! Don't Think About Last Year!!!

angele87
Jun 24th, 2003, 09:11 PM
BBC just covered a visit Kim made today to Great Ormond St Childrens Hospital in London. Got a really good look at that necklace and, oh boy, that is a major piece of bling bling!!

Lleyton spoils her so much :angel:

LMAO :D :o Maybe football and yahtzee was the PG version ;) :angel:

Kim said she was working hard to improve her grass game and was feeling pretty comfortable. She didnt know what Lleyton's plans were about staying at Wimbledon, but she thought it would be good for him if he did, so he could support her and play some golf.

I hope he stays :)

Then my bloody sister rang and I missed a lot of the chat after that. Maybe someone else caught the whole thing and can fill in the bits I missed.

Then they cut back to the studio and Sue Barker, Sam Smith and Tracey Austin all said how fabulous generally Kim was.

Nice, huh?!

Thanks a lot for the report :kiss:

possie
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:18 PM

Football and yahtzee :confused: ....I hope she said that because she couldn't say *cough* what really went on :p . I agree that the last thing you would probably want to do after a rather spectacular loss is that.....usless of course football and yahtzee is 'code' for beer and sex ;) , or that their rules are slightly *erm* different to what one would assume ;) ;) :angel:

Hawk
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Football and yahtzee :confused: ....I hope she said that because she couldn't say *cough* what really went on :p . I agree that the last thing you would probably want to do after a rather spectacular loss is that.....usless of course football and yahtzee is 'code' for beer and sex ;) , or that their rules are slightly *erm* different to what one would assume ;) ;) :angel:

That would certainly explain why she plays Yahtzee so much :p

possie
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:37 PM
That would certainly explain why she plays Yahtzee so much :p

:p Well yes....there's no stopping the girl with that game :p

ClijstersHewitt
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Maybe it will be good for Kim's mental attitude if she does stay a little bit mad all the way through. In her TV interview with the BBC yesterday they asked about her previous 2 GS final losses and whether she was going to change anything. She said her play would be the same but that she may change one or two things "about her preparation", so it sounds to me like she accepts that maybe there does need to be a change in her mental preparation and that she is going to address that.

There is an article in this month's edition of Tennis Week magazine called Cirque Du Roland by Andrea Leand. Here is an excerpt:

"While tennis's royalty absconded before the final, Belgium's King made the special trip to see his country's two premier players, Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters, battle it out for a first-time Belgian French Open--and Grand Slam tournament--victor. Clijsters' pre-match behavior provided perfect foreshadowing to her unispiring play. While Henin-Hardenne sequestered herself in the locker room preparing for her first French Open final, Clijsters socialized in the player lounge wither her large entourage of friends and family. She chit-chatted with her dad/manager, joked with others and then headed off for a tete-a-tete with boyfriend Hewitt. Suffice to say, Clijsters showed little resilience or edge by the time the match started."

I'd say that's the kind of preparation she could do without. :p

Hawk
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:57 PM
There is an article in this month's edition of Tennis Week magazine called Cirque Du Roland by Andrea Leand. Here is an excerpt:

"While tennis's royalty absconded before the final, Belgium's King made the special trip to see his country's two premier players, Henin-Hardenne and Clijsters, battle it out for a first-time Belgian French Open--and Grand Slam tournament--victor. Clijsters' pre-match behavior provided perfect foreshadowing to her unispiring play. While Henin-Hardenne sequestered herself in the locker room preparing for her first French Open final, Clijsters socialized in the player lounge wither her large entourage of friends and family. She chit-chatted with her dad/manager, joked with others and then headed off for a tete-a-tete with boyfriend Hewitt. Suffice to say, Clijsters showed little resilience or edge by the time the match started."

Yeah no kidding ..Did she go out for a drink before the match as well :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:18 AM

Thanks Marls :kiss:

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:19 AM
I think yahtzee and football was the "our parents think we went to bed when they went to bed" answer :p

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:22 AM
I think yahtzee and football was the "our parents think we went to bed when they went to bed" answer :p

But they're all in the same house .. I hope it's a big house *cough* :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:24 AM
But they're all in the same house .. I hope it's a big house *cough* :p
Oh the house is huge, no worries ;)

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:26 AM

LOL ;) :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:27 AM
How surprising to find you here Anne ;) :angel:

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
How surprising to find you here Anne ;) :angel:

And you too ;) ......my partner in crime :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:34 AM
And you too ;) ......my partner in crime :p
Guilthy as charged :o But at least I wasn't the one who started it this time :angel:

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:34 AM
Guilthy as charged :o But at least I wasn't the one who started it this time :angel:

Or me :D :angel:

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Or me :D :angel:
*cough*

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:45 AM
*cough*

No way.....that wasn't all my doing!!! Someone had already mentioned beer and sex.

Though they do need to be careful as we know that it doesn't take much to get me (or you :p ) started ;) :angel:

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:49 AM
No way.....that wasn't all my doing!!! Someone had already mentioned beer and sex.

Though they do need to be careful as we know that it doesn't take much to get me (or you :p ) started ;) :angel:

What a shock to find QG and PG in here :eek: ;) :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:50 AM

It doesn't take anything to get us going :p But they ( Kim :p ) need to realize that we aren't stupid ;) We know they do more than watch videos and play games lol

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:51 AM
It looks like we've been caught Anne :o

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:52 AM

Well, we wouldn't want to disrupt routine, would we now ;) :p :angel:

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Well, we wouldn't want to disrupt routine, would we now ;) :p :angel:

Well of course not..after all you've got reputations to maintain :angel: :p

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Well of course not..after all you've got reputations to maintain :angel: :p
I don't think those are going away anytime soon :o

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:01 AM
I don't think those are going away anytime soon :o

No somehow I don't see that happening either ..which is definatly a good thing cause what would we do without our resident goobers :eek:

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:03 AM
No somehow I don't see that happening either ..which is definatly a good thing cause what would we do without our resident goobers :eek:
Everybody who be forced to admit that they are as :hearts: as we are and that y'all miss us terribly :angel:

possie
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:06 AM

Oh.....thanks Ileana :kiss: . But I have a feeling that there is a lot of "gooberishness" in Lleyki's anyway ;)

angele87
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Oh.....thanks Ileana :kiss: . But I have a feeling that there is a lot of "gooberishness" in Lleyki's anyway ;)
There is... the others are just embarassed to admit it ;)

Lisbeth
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Good luck Kim, I'm not worried about Court 2 but it'll be way too late for me to stay up. Can someone do some encouraging shouting at the TV for me please?!

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:49 AM
I hope lleyton stays :) Actually I'll get pissed off at him if he goes :p

Lisbeth
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:52 AM
I do want Ll there but he needs to do what's right for him and his game right now. Don't worry, I'm sure he would discuss it with Kim if he left and he probably will stay.

Katja
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:38 AM
I read De Standaard (belgian newspaper) this morning and it says that some english newspapers accuse Kim of being the reason for Lleyton's loss. They wrote 'the reason why Hewitt screwed it'.
Personally I don't agree...

nicky
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:46 AM
:rolleyes: english newspapers... :rolleyes:

Aussie_Kim
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Dont worry I suppose every paper has a reason why
Theres been more in paper bout his loss here than any of his wins all year. Here they're blaming his parents not Kim though thankfully ;)

tfannis
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:20 AM
I read De Standaard (belgian newspaper) this morning and it says that some english newspapers accuse Kim of being the reason for Lleyton's loss. They wrote 'the reason why Hewitt screwed it'.
Personally I don't agree...

It were english tabloids ;) Nothing but crap :o

This is a piece out of the day three preview on the Wimbledon website:

Two questions come to mind about Kim's match against the French girl, Virginie Razzano. Will the Belgian again clock up a "double bagel" by winning 6-0, 6-0, as she did in her first match, and will she be watched by the boyfriend, the currently unemployed Australian lad called Hewitt?

I don't think she's gonna double bagel Virginie :( In fact...urgh...court 2 gives me a bad feeling.

C'mon Kim :)

Come-on-kim
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:18 AM
COME ON KIMMIE!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

chandra
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Good luck Kim, I'm not worried about Court 2 but it'll be way too late for me to stay up. Can someone do some encouraging shouting at the TV for me please?!

I will !
with pleasure!

:bounce: :bounce: Come On Kimmie! Good luck today! :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Jun 25th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)[12] v. Olivier Mutis (FRA) Rain Delay
followed by:
2. Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)[13] leads Thomas Enqvist (SWE) T/F 4/6 6/3 6/4
4. Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.

What is that Grosjean-match doing there?? :( Is it an unfinished match? Guess they put it there 'cause they hope Kim will be finished again in half an hour. And above all...rain delay...we still have to wait for some time I'm afraid (don't think hantuchova will win in two sets)

nicky
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:43 PM
It's not raining now, but Strichapan-Mutis has just gone ito a 5th set...so it may be real late before Kim gets to play :(

fifiricci
Jun 25th, 2003, 02:55 PM
At this rate Kim may not even get on today - is already 4 pm here - and there's more rain forecast for tomorrow!! Here's when the fabulous British weather is going to start buggering us all about!!

pathfinder
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Paradorn Srichaphan (THA)[12] v. Olivier Mutis (FRA) Rain Delay
followed by:
2. Gentlemen's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Sebastien Grosjean (FRA)[13] leads Thomas Enqvist (SWE) T/F 4/6 6/3 6/4
4. Ladies' Singles - 2nd Rnd.

What is that Grosjean-match doing there?? :( Is it an unfinished match? Guess they put it there 'cause they hope Kim will be finished again in half an hour. And above all...rain delay...we still have to wait for some time I'm afraid (don't think hantuchova will win in two sets)

Thanks for the info.

And i repeat:What is that Grosjean-match doing there?? :(

Anyhow,Good luck Kim :kiss:
Though i might be writing the same sentence tomorrow,as well. :o

Bigkimfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:26 PM
At this point I doubt Kim will play :( If she does play it certainly won't be on Court 2..the would have to move her match to another Court if they want to get it in today.

pathfinder
Jun 25th, 2003, 03:32 PM
uh!..I hadn't thought of it Ileana! :)
..suddenly the addition of the Grosjean match..doesn't sound that bad! ;) ..not that we have a problem with court 2... :o

sanstamtam
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:26 PM
I think I won't see Kim's match today.
I have to leave in 20 minutes.
Support her for me :)

Come-on-kim
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Kim will play on Court 2 or Center Court!!

Come-on-kim
Jun 25th, 2003, 04:31 PM
COME ON KIMMIE!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GOOD LUCK AGAINST VIRGINIE!!!!

ans
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:02 PM
at the moment Hantuchova is racing through her match. Hopefully she can keep it up, then we will see kim really soon. (by the way, I forgot it's an hour earlier in England than here in Belgium so I suppose she'll still play today)

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:08 PM
at the moment Hantuchova is racing through her match. Hopefully she can keep it up, then we will see kim really soon. (by the way, I forgot it's an hour earlier in England than here in Belgium so I suppose she'll still play today)

Yeah I thought the same thing lol..then I realized they're 5 hours ahead of our time, not 6 like in France.

Gabra
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Kim will play on centre court :bounce:

Laur
Jun 25th, 2003, 05:51 PM
kim won the first game

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Does anyone have coverage?? Here in Aus there showing shalken v lapenti and also baccanello;s match. So now to the important question ;) Is lleyton there :confused: He better be :mad:

Laur
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:09 PM
yes i am watching the match now

Gabra
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Kim won the first set 6-1 :bounce:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Kim is down a break and now a another break point, phew she saved it. But they have just started showing Kim's match here and she isn't playing very well, razzano is playing stronger.

Kim held for 1-2 but still down a break :mad:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:28 PM
she broke back for 2-2 but isn't serving very well at all and is no 0-30 :sad:

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:33 PM
she's had 2 double faults this game and now faces another break point
and saves it for deuce
hit first first serve of the game for Ad Kim
fault - razzano winner
fault - razzona error = ad Kim
deuce
I think Razzano is stronger in the rallys than Kim
good first serve out wide = Ad Kim
Kim won the game for 3-2

she isn't playing as well as in round 1

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:36 PM
they showed lleyton and he said come on Kim :hearts: he is there :)
I'm in Aus and I think we have BBC commentary at the moment cause I don't recognise the commentators - but the guy said he felt sorry for lleyton as he is a great guy, and then the female commentator said she hoped he was enhoying the performance of Kim,, not that I think he would be at the moment :rolleyes:

Razzano held for 3-3
Come on Kim pick it up girl

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:39 PM
Kim serving
0-15
15-15
30-15
40-15
40-30

I think Glynn is sitting behind Lleyton
Deuce razzano smash
Ad Kim
Game Kim

4-3

Laur
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:44 PM
5-3

Laur
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Kimmie won 6-1,6-3

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:48 PM
Actually change that it isn't gynn it's some guy i've never seen before i think he is razzano coach

anyway glynn and chezza aren't there, maybe they have left :confused: Hayden is sitting with lleyton :) thy are both watching Kim along with Marc and Evelline and I think Els is there.

Good game by Kim to break to love 5-3

Kim serving for the match
15-0 she won the point but should gibe away the drop shot
30-0
30-15 Kim should have put the ball away
40-15
40-30 Kim error set the whole point up and had opened up the cpourt but missed the shot down the line
Won
she won a drop shot :rolleyes: actually it was the best of the day she had hit

they showed lleyton and he said well done and then he ran off :)

BTW Kim and Ai are 4th match on court 2 tomorrow :bounce: :bounce: good luck to them :kiss:

Lynx
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Congrats, Kimmie. :)

~|Naomi|~
Jun 25th, 2003, 06:55 PM
oops I forgot a positive note is that Kim was 5 out of 5 on break point conversions which is good given how she was on the bps last week

I know this is a Kim forum but man is there drama in Dani's match she won the first set 6-0 and then lost the second set 4-6 and then went to 5-2 up in the third and had match points but didn't conbert them and then she broke into tears :sad: :sad: its so sad hope se can finishe it off

And Kim plays samantha reeves. Kim beat her in round 1 last year in 2 sets despite not playing well, and Kim also beat her in rounf 1 at aussie open this \year

Gabra
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Kim won :bounce:
But it's so sad about Daniela :sad:

nicky
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah I saw Daniela...pretty awful I'd say. I think that kid really needs to get a break and sorts things out mentally :sad:.

But Kim :bounce: :). Although I didn't think she played that well.

Lynnsha
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Congrats Kim !!!!!!!!:bounce:

Hawk
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Yay Kimmie!! :bounce: Although she won pretty easily her level dropped off quite a bit it appeared in the second set :( She'll have to fix that :p

Dani is a flippin' mess! :o There was a serious loss of composure going on..either actually crying or doing everything in her power to stop from crying ..the girl needs a vacation.

Bigkimfan
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:07 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Well done Kim!!!!!! Good luck in your next match!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

fifiricci
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:13 PM
Actually change that it isn't gynn it's some guy i've never seen before i think he is razzano coach

anyway glynn and chezza aren't there, maybe they have left :confused: Hayden is sitting with lleyton :) thy are both watching Kim along with Marc and Evelline and I think Els is there.

Good game by Kim to break to love 5-3

Kim serving for the match
15-0 she won the point but should gibe away the drop shot
30-0
30-15 Kim should have put the ball away
40-15
40-30 Kim error set the whole point up and had opened up the cpourt but missed the shot down the line
Won
she won a drop shot :rolleyes: actually it was the best of the day she had hit

they showed lleyton and he said well done and then he ran off :)

BTW Kim and Ai are 4th match on court 2 tomorrow :bounce: :bounce: good luck to them :kiss:

How come you guys in Aussieland got to see this match and the BBC didnt show it in the UK, where I am and where they are covering it on 2 channels!! Grrrr. OMG I forgot about Eurosport coverage too!

ans
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I'm a bad bad bad kim-fan 'cause I saw more of the hantuchova-asagoe match than of kim's match ;) I thought it was more exciting than kim's match....anyway, still saw enough of kim's match to catch a glimpse of lleyton and to conclude she didn't play that well (although she only had like 9 UE, that's not much, is it?).
Happy she's won as always and I love that asagoe-girl, she's like the second AI :)

jenglisbe
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:40 PM
Wooh! Glad Kim got through that so easily as she didn't play well at all. Her first serve percentage was lower than usual, she didn't hit any aces, she had 2x the errors as winners, and she won under 50% of her points at net. What won it for her is that she won the big points!! That's what all great players do!

ans
Jun 25th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Wooh! Glad Kim got through that so easily as she didn't play well at all. Her first serve percentage was lower than usual, she didn't hit any aces, she had 2x the errors as winners, and she won under 50% of her points at net. What won it for her is that she won the big points!! That's what all great players do!

woops...guess I only saw the UE of the second set ;)

Come-on-kim
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Congrats Kimmie!! But, I think that once again, she let Virginie to come in the court and Kim was passive!!

Zoecrick
Jun 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
I just wanted to say that on Monday and Tuesday I went to Wimbledon and of course on Monday I was on centre court ( it was my first time seeing Lleyton play anywhere as last year my Aunt wanted to see Tim as much as I love Tim Ive never seen Ll play) so I was really excited and even tho Im british as you may have guessed I bought an Aussie flag don't think Im a traitor I even yelled out c'mon Rocky!! I was crying at the end of it all but I know hell be back stronger! Also I hope the press don't have a go at him for staying with Kim like at RG it really annoys me cos a) there are more important things than tennis b) they shouldn't rap on a guy for being loyal and loving his girlie and c) he will have an off year or so at some point even tho it hasn't been that bad with winning IW mens tennis has so much depth these days anyway Im sorry this is so long ( my longest post yet) but soon will get photos done and post them still recovering from camping out 2 nites just ton get tickets!!!
THE END haha

Pinkie
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Post-match interview:

Kim Clijsters - Day 3
Wednesday, June 25, 2003

Q. It was good to have Lleyton there today to support you. How has he been in the last couple of days?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, he's been fine, you know. He's been playing football and everything and golf and stuff. Of course it's nice to have him there for the support. It's always nice to see him sitting in the box, yeah.

Q. There's been all sorts of reaction back in Australia since he's lost. People coming up with all sorts of theories including perhaps he should take some time out of the game. Some others also saying perhaps his parents should take a step back and not travel with him all the way, give him some freedom. Does he need his parents with him?

KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't think it's, you know, I think that's questions that you have to ask him. I don't think that's anything for me to answer. I think if you want to ask him his private questions about his private life, I think ?? I'm sure ?? I don't even think it's any of your business either. But, you know, that's ?? you'll have to ask him those questions I think, yeah.

Q. Are you happy with your progress so far in the tournament?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, for sure. It was a long day today. I think in that second set I lost ? I wasn't feeling as fresh as I was at the start.

But like I said, you know, it was a very long day and a bit of a weird situation as well with changing courts and stuff. You know, one stage I was gonna stay on Court 2 and then at the end they were gonna move me again. So it was a bit, you know, confusing a little bit.

But at the end, you know, everything turned out fine. I'm happy with the way I played, you know. I definitely ? I think my serve here and there wasn't always 100 percent, but, you know, at the times where I needed it to be, it was going well, so...

Q. And were you happy with the move from Court 2 to Centre Court?

KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, sure. It's always, I think, in any Grand Slam if you can play on the biggest court, on Centre Court, it's always nice to have that. Also I think I played there my first match and I was playing really well, so I was definitely ? it was nice to play there again, yeah

Pinkie
Jun 26th, 2003, 12:44 AM
From the BBC web site. :rolleyes: @ reporters

Clijsters pushed too far

Kim Clijsters is widely regarded as the most affable player in the game at the moment, and it certainly takes a lot to rile the Belgian.

But after a long day of waiting to get on court she finally made it to the press room by 2030 BST, and was well and truly irked by the opening question.

Asked whether her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt should leave his parents behind in future, following his first-round defeat, she gave a stern reply.

"I don't think that is anything to do with you," she said to the Australian journalist.

"It's a private matter for him."

True to form, Clijsters immediately reverted to her true nature and sat happily talking and joking with the press for another 20 minutes.

Hawk
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Kim's right though it is none of their business and why on earth would they ask her that question?! :(

Hehe I wonder what her response would be if they said that people are questioning whether she's the problem.. instead of his parents :eek: :p

At the rate the media is going on about Lleyton though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone did ask her that :o

Kimmy1023
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Kim's right though it is none of their business and why on earth would they ask her that question?! :(

Hehe I wonder what her response would be if they said that people are questioning whether she's the problem.. instead of his parents :eek: :p

At the rate the media is going on about Lleyton though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if someone did ask her that :o

The media is quite boring and pretty awful.
Kim did right.

Kimmy1023
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I'm a bad bad bad kim-fan 'cause I saw more of the hantuchova-asagoe match than of kim's match ;) I thought it was more exciting than kim's match....anyway, still saw enough of kim's match to catch a glimpse of lleyton and to conclude she didn't play that well (although she only had like 9 UE, that's not much, is it?).
Happy she's won as always and I love that asagoe-girl, she's like the second AI :)

/o/
I like asagoe too,she showed the unbelievable backbone to win the match.

Pinkie
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:56 AM
From Reuters:

Clinical Clijsters powers ahead
June 26 2003

Second seed Kim Clijsters stepped up her bid for the Wimbledon title with a ruthless 6-0 6-3 win over France's Virginie Razzano in the second round today.

Having demolished Paraguay's Rossana Neffa-De los Rios 6-0 6-0 in the previous round, Clijsters romped to a 2-0 lead on before she finally surrendered her first game of the tournament.

Razzano's relief at avoiding a whitewash was short-lived as the French Open finalist powered ahead with her crunching forehand winners from the baseline.

The 20-year-old Belgian broke her opponent for the third time to clinch the first set in 23 minutes after Razzano's forehand fell wide.

"It was a long day and bit of a weird situation with changing courts and stuff," said Clijsters, who had spent a frustrating day waiting around the All England Club as she was scheduled to play the fourth match on court two.

But since ninth seed Daniela Hantuchova was involved in a long tussle with Japan's Shinobu Asagoe, organisers switched Clijsters's match to Centre Court late in the evening.

It was a move the Belgian was clearly happy with, especially as the Hantuchova-Asagoe duel was still going strong by the time Clijsters had returned to the locker room with a win firmly under her belt.

"At one point I was going to stay on court two and then at the end they moved me again so it was a bit confusing," she said.

"In the end everything turned out fine. I was happy to make the change as I played really well there in my first match.

"I wasn't feeling as fresh in the second set as I was in the first but I'm happy with the way I played even though I don't think my serve was always there 100 per cent."

Clijsters, who captured the Ordina Open title last Saturday, allowed her opponent to stage a fightback in the second as her unforced errors started creeping up.

Going for the lines with brute power, the shots that had earlier fallen in started missing the lines and a determined Razzano gladly jumped to a 2-0 lead.

Ranked 58th in the world, the Frenchwoman, however, simply did not possess the weapons to sustain the run.

Cheered on by her boyfriend, the vanquished men's champion Lleyton Hewitt, Clijsters broke back for 2-2 and held off a spirited challenge in the fifth game by saving two more break points.

Clijsters sealed the win with a dainty backhand drop shot after 56 minutes - 24 minutes longer than her first round outing - to set up a third-round meeting with Samantha Reeves.

Lisbeth
Jun 26th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Good girl Kim. If Kim tells you you're out of line you should really take note!

I wouldn't worry about her second round. I didn't see it but it must be awfully hard to maintain a standard against someone you are thrashing.

possie
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:05 AM
From the BBC web site. :rolleyes: @ reporters

Clijsters pushed too far

Kim Clijsters is widely regarded as the most affable player in the game at the moment, and it certainly takes a lot to rile the Belgian.

But after a long day of waiting to get on court she finally made it to the press room by 2030 BST, and was well and truly irked by the opening question.

Asked whether her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt should leave his parents behind in future, following his first-round defeat, she gave a stern reply.

"I don't think that is anything to do with you," she said to the Australian journalist.

"It's a private matter for him."

True to form, Clijsters immediately reverted to her true nature and sat happily talking and joking with the press for another 20 minutes.

I'm really glad she did say what she did....to stand up for him, stand up for herself and (although she is usually happy to field all questions) let the media know that not EVERY question asked of her will, or SHOULD, but asked or answered by her.

Aussie_Kim
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:14 AM
I agree Pinkie
If I was in her position I would have said something a lot worse ;)
The media had no right 2 say that, what did they expect to say seeing as they will be her future parents in law :confused:
"Yeah, they need 2 get outa lleyton's life" I dont think so.
I believe that Lleytons parents may need 2 butt out a bit more, but I still think the media was wrong for what they did.
Sorry!!

Bigkimfan
Jun 26th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Kim plays the 2nd match on Court 1!! Good luck Kim!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

ans
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Kim and Ai: 63 61 :bowdown: :woohoo:

Come-on-kim
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:54 PM
CONGRATS KIM AND AI!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

COME ON KIMMIE!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GOOD LUCK AGAINST SAMANTHA REEVES!!

kim&lleyton
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Way the go Girls!!!:bounce:
Kimmie goodluck against Samantha Reeves tomorrow!!!!:D

angele87
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:01 PM
Congrats Kim and Ai :bounce: Good luck tomorrow Kim :kiss:

Cilla
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Congrats Kim & Ai :)

Good Luck Kim tomorrow :kiss:

Lynx
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Well done, girls! :)

And good lmuck to Kim tomorrow :).

Ting
Jun 26th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Best wishes for Kim!!! Win the match tomorrow!!!!!!!! Good luck!!!!!!!:bounce:

Lynnsha
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Kim & Ai :worship:

:bounce: Come :bounce: on :bounce: Kim !!!!! :bounce: Good :bounce: luck :bounce: today !!!!!!!

Katja
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:07 AM
I watched the 7pm news on VRT yesterday and they showed Kim visiting a childrens' hospital during Wimbledon. It was so adorable and the kids looked really happy to have Kim near. She's such a sweety! :kiss:

Good luck this afternoon, Kim!

spiritfullfrog
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Good Luck Kimmie against Reeves!
:D :) :D
(Keta have you run away from me?!?)

Gabra
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:40 AM
Congratulations Kim&Ai :worship:
Good luck against Reeves Kim :D

Lleykimmy1
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Good luck Kimmie for your next match !!!!!! :bounce:

Aussie_Kim
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:36 PM
well done Kim & Ai
I wasnt sure who to go for being Aussie but I expected Kim & Ai to win so well done girls.

GoodLuckKim against Reeves

Gabra
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Kim won first set 6-1 :D

jenglisbe
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Kim dropped the first 2 games of the 2nd set, but now she leads 4-2 :) This match has a very similar pattern to her 2nd round...

~|Naomi|~
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Kim's leading 6-1 5-2

The stats looke pretty good so far 14 winners, 8 UE's, 2 aces, 78% first serves in and winning 75% on first serves and is 5 from 7 on break point conversions :bounce:

Shame aussie tv won't show it :fiery: :fiery:

Gabra
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:15 PM
Kim won 6-1 6-2 :clap2: Congratulations and good luck in fourth round :yippee:

nicky
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Congrats Kim! :D

And now Ai...

~|Naomi|~
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Congrats to Kim

Hopefully she is playing well cause Ai will be tough.. She won't play till Monday cause all 4th rounds are played then, so the centre and number 1 courts will be given to the Williams, so hopefully Kim won't get put on court 2, maybe court 18??

ANyway would like to hear from anyone who saw Kim play and how they think of her form is ??

kit
Jun 27th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Well done Kim!!! :kiss: :worship:

jenglisbe
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Depends who the Williams sisters - and others - play as to what court Kim will be on. Kim versus Ai is a pretty competitive looking match in terms of rankings and head-to-head record. If Serena is playing someone ranked #50, then that match wouldn't be as big of a draw, right?

Venus versus Vera is likely to be Centre Court.

*annamaria*
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:08 PM
ANyway would like to hear from anyone who saw Kim play and how they think of her form is ??

no, unfortunately i haven't seen any of kim's matches yet.
:mad: crazy noone showed her play by now... :rolleyes:

but, anyways, congrats to a straight win! all the best for the next round! go kim! :clap2:

Lynnsha
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Congrats Kim http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/contrib/ruinkai/biggthumpup.gif

angele87
Jun 27th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Well done Kim :)

Both Williams sisters are guaranteed to be on centre court or court 1, regardless of who they play :(

Come-on-kim
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Congrats KIMMIE!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cilla
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Congrats Kim :bounce:

Went to Wimby today & watched Ai play. She was pretty impressive, cleaning the lines. However, Dechy did break her serve on numerous occasions. Marc Dehous was hiding in the corner scouting & making notes ;) He looked very :cool: in his sunglasses.

jenglisbe
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Kim was brought into the ESPN studio and was interviewed by Chris Fowler and Mary Carillo. Mary really sort of took it to Kim :) She pointed out that grass sort of demands that players be aggressive. She looked right at Kim and said she had gotten tentative up 5-1 against Serena, and said grass doesn't really let you do that. Kim agreed that grass does that. She said in her 2nd round she could tell that she was standing too far back in the 2nd set and was letting her opponent dictate. She said the grass brings her into the court more. Kim said she has never felt as comfortable on grass...and Mary Carillo said grass could be Kim's best surface because it doesn't let her get so defensive :)

nicky
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks! Sounds good.

And Chanda Rubin got beaten today :eek:
So if Kim beats Ai, she's going to have a "cakewalk" quarter final (can you here them over in GM already :rolleyes: )

Bigkimfan
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:09 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Well done Kim!!!!!!!!!! Good luck against Sugiyama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: Come on Kim!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

jenglisbe
Jun 27th, 2003, 08:50 PM
I don't see Kim/Ai on the schedule tomorrow for their 2nd round doubles. Why is that? They had today off, and neither play singles tomorrow. Shouldn't they play doubles tomorrow? Now they will probably have to play after their singles match on Monday...

Peridotpixie
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:19 PM
They're on the schedule. 4th on Court 13. They'll be playing two Romanians, neither of which I've ever heard of.

angele87
Jun 28th, 2003, 12:57 AM
What else did Kim say in her interview?

spiritfullfrog
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Kim Clijsters - Day 5
Friday, June 27, 2003
K. CLIJSTERS/S. Reeves
6?1, 6?2
Q. That was another comfortable win today. Would you have preferred a harder workout?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Well, I felt today like I had to play good enough, you know, to win that easily. And that's what I did today. I definitely played a really good match. Even when we had some tough rallies, I still felt like, you know, I was dominating and she couldn't really hurt me.
So I think I'm really happy with the way that I played, to win like in two straight sets.
Q. Are you improving as each match goes on?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, definitely. I feel like, you know, I started well in my first match. But today I think was even a little bit better. I think I served better again. You know, I was returning really well and I was moving well. That's always nice, you know, to take that into your next match. Yeah, I was really happy with the way I played today.
Q. Next opponent you've already lost to this year. Do you need to play even better?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Yeah, I think so. You know, Ai is the type of player that can, you know, play some unbelievable tennis. She hardly makes any easy mistakes. She'll always make you work to win each point. And she returns really well. I play doubles with her. Probably one of her strengths is her return. She likes to attack and get into the point. Obviously, you know, she's a great doubles player, so she's not scared of coming in, as well. She has really good volleys.
It will be a matter of being very aggressive, trying to, you know, let her move a lot and like to stay aggressive, not let her dominate the points.
Q. What is the experience like of playing a doubles partner with so much at stake?
KIM CLIJSTERS: Every time when she plays, I would also like for her, you know, to do well. But, you know, when we play each other, maybe it's a little bit tougher. But, you know, I've played her a few times now. In Scottsdale I lost when I was up a set and maybe 5?3 or 5?4. I should have won that match probably. Then I played her in Rome on clay, where I was playing really well. I was really dominating, keeping her under pressure.
That's a thing I have to do today as well. Obviously on grass it's a completely different story because her shots will hurt me a little bit more, as well.
Yeah, I mean, it's going to be interesting I think to play her.
Q. Would you hope to avoid a doubles match the same day?
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, that doesn't really worry me, no.
Q. You have a close relationship with your doubles partner, more than other players. When you played her before in singles, have you spoken more with her during a match?
KIM CLIJSTERS: During the match?
Q. No.
KIM CLIJSTERS: No, no, not really. When she hits a good shot, "Well done, great shot," or something. I'm not going to ask her what she's going to do today, no.
Q. What does it mean to you as a prize money leader amongst women to have earned more than the top men this year?
KIM CLIJSTERS: I don't know. You know, I've been playing a lot of tournaments, as well, this year. I've been making semifinals in each event that I've been playing as well as singles and doubles.
But that's not really something that I focus on too much. I mean, I don't play tennis for the prize money. Of course, it comes with it. It's very handy to have. But it's definitely not my priority, you know.
It's not really something that I worry about, who has more prize money than who. It's not really my type of thing that I look at, no.

jenglisbe
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:08 AM
I loved this quote from the interview:
No, no, not really. When she hits a good shot, "Well done, great shot," or something. I'm not going to ask her what she's going to do today, no. :p

One of the Jensen brothers was on ESPN tonight and said Kim was practicing with Lindsay this morning :) He also added that Kim was painting the corners with her shots and needs to do that more in matches (i.e. be aggressive).

jenglisbe
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Also, I forgot to say this; when Mary and Chris were interviewing Kim they asked her about having Lleyton staying around to support her. Kim said it was nice and added that some friends from Australia were also there to support her. Are these friends of Lleyton's whom Kim is now friends with? I think it would be really great - and a sign of the friends Lleyton has - if Lleyton's mates from Australia support Kim that much :)

player2
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:19 AM
[QUOTE=jenglisbe]Kim was brought into the ESPN studio and was interviewed by Chris Fowler and Mary Carillo. Mary really sort of took it to Kim :) She pointed out that grass sort of demands that players be aggressive. She looked right at Kim and said she had gotten tentative up 5-1 against Serena....
:fiery:
MARY WAS SO RUDE TO KIM!!!! The Aus. Open is over!
I'm sure Kim did not appreciate being ambushed with
Carillo's insensitive questions. Carillo should have
been focusing on Wimbledon and how well Kim has played.
:confused:
Trying to fend of a garbage interview really must
test all of the players. Kim handled it with her usual
grace but that sort of stuff must be more than annoying.
Mary has tournament-level skills at being annoying
most of the time.
The whole ESPN announcing crew has been terrible.
The bias for the American players, Roddick and Team Williams,
has been sickening. Enough!
Sorry. Didn't mean to rant.

Kimmy1023
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:45 AM
[QUOTE=jenglisbe]Kim was brought into the ESPN studio and was interviewed by Chris Fowler and Mary Carillo. Mary really sort of took it to Kim :) She pointed out that grass sort of demands that players be aggressive. She looked right at Kim and said she had gotten tentative up 5-1 against Serena....
:fiery:
MARY WAS SO RUDE TO KIM!!!! The Aus. Open is over!
I'm sure Kim did not appreciate being ambushed with
Carillo's insensitive questions. Carillo should have
been focusing on Wimbledon and how well Kim has played.
:confused:
Trying to fend of a garbage interview really must
test all of the players. Kim handled it with her usual
grace but that sort of stuff must be more than annoying.
Mary has tournament-level skills at being annoying
most of the time.
The whole ESPN announcing crew has been terrible.
The bias for the American players, Roddick and Team Williams,
has been sickening. Enough!
Sorry. Didn't mean to rant.

Agree.
Mary Carillo is awful.
In her mind,only american players,although they play not well.

jenglisbe
Jun 28th, 2003, 02:50 AM
player2 - She in no way attacked Kim. She has often spoke positively of Kim, and she only brought up the Australian Open in the interview today to point out that grass makes Kim more aggressive. Put aside your opinion for a minute and focus on the fact that what Mary said today is true. Kim did get tentative in Australia, and grass does make her more aggressive.

Kmmy0123 - The Williams sisters are the two best female grass court players. The fact that between them they have won the last 3 Wimbledons is proof of that.

Let's not forget that Mary C is paid to give her opinion and to ask questions; to criticize her for doing her job is a bit lame in my opinion.

Kimmy1023
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:20 AM
player2 - She in no way attacked Kim. She has often spoke positively of Kim, and she only brought up the Australian Open in the interview today to point out that grass makes Kim more aggressive. Put aside your opinion for a minute and focus on the fact that what Mary said today is true. Kim did get tentative in Australia, and grass does make her more aggressive.

Kmmy0123 - The Williams sisters are the two best female grass court players. The fact that between them they have won the last 3 Wimbledons is proof of that.

Let's not forget that Mary C is paid to give her opinion and to ask questions; to criticize her for doing her job is a bit lame in my opinion.

I'm sorry if what I said bothered u.
But everyone has their own opionions.
And I really dislike Mary,not only because of what she asked Kim today,and what she said about Lleyton yesterday or the day before yesterday also not good.^-^

nm_cb
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:28 AM
I just watched the replay of Kim's match on Foxtel and she played very well, quite aggressive. A few problems with her dropshot - same as in Paris. Nothing to be worried about. They had an interview with her after.l It was only one person and they were asking her the usual questions about how she felt she played and all of that. Then they asked about Lleyton. She said that it was nice for him to be there. It's nice looking up to the box and he'
s sitting there. The guy then asked would he still be here Saturday week and she said something a long the lines of I hope so, as long as I'm still here hopefully he will to. It was very cute. She didn't mind at all talking about him.

Elke
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:39 AM
There's a really nice article posted on LLeytonland, about Kim and Lleyton, a really hilarious one!:D:haha:
Scenes when Kim comes home from her work, and Lleyton is at home doing the work!:angel:
Kim also said Lleyton called her Beauty, till she got her dog Beauty, so now he has to come up with something else....

It's from the Daily Telegraph, can't find it online and I don't have the time right now.... maybe someone else has? :angel:

fifiricci
Jun 28th, 2003, 08:24 AM
There's a really nice article posted on LLeytonland, about Kim and Lleyton, a really hilarious one!:D:haha:
Scenes when Kim comes home from her work, and Lleyton is at home doing the work!:angel:
Kim also said Lleyton called her Beauty, till she got her dog Beauty, so now he has to come up with something else....

It's from the Daily Telegraph, can't find it online and I don't have the time right now.... maybe someone else has? :angel:

Yeah, Ive got it, will try and type it all up later today - is a huge article though!