PDA

View Full Version : What a great day :):)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2002, 10:00 AM
2nd rd
Started of with Vera Douchevina who was in complete control v Ana Vrljic, dominated her and came into net to put away easy volleys.
Ana got injured near end of 1st set, she had a leg injury, and after a 10 mins break she restarted but got broke and called it quits.

Was trying to keep my eye on other matches as well.
Saw Maria when she led 6-2 3-2.
Maria was keeping Myriam running all over with her shots placement, far better than Saturday.

Myriam was making far too mamy errors

Maria should have broken again when she was 4-2 and 15-40 up, missed 3 BP's and let Myriam back in.

Alos missed two match points (15-40 at 5-4)which Myriam won. Maria was getting very tense and did a few doubles but so did Myriam.

TB ..Maria ran out comforably the winner getting help with some errors and a double fault.

Svetlanas 1st match wasn't a match all over before it started.

Barbora Strycova came back from 2-5 down to win 7-5 6-1.

Saw Tatiana crush her opponent who also got injured near end of 1st set and withdrew at 0-6 0-2.
Tatiana was far too steady for her Egyptian opponent.

Olga Puchkova did anoter of her things ..... losing in 3 sets. She broke back to 4-4 then lost serve immediately :(

came back and saw last few games of Elke's win before Maria's 3rd rd match on same court, she was again looking great and over-powering Dominique.

3rd rd

Saw Maria came back from losing her opening service game when she did 3 doubles, Samantha was hitting alot of winners at star but once Maria settled down she broke back to 4-4 and again to take set 6-4, Stosur had led 40-0 that game.

I moved over to court 6 which is next to 4. where Vera Douchevina v Marion Bartoli in the match of the tournament was gonna take place.

and what a start from Vera, she totally over-powered Marion a start hitting winners from all over and hardly any UE's and was quickly 5-1 up and had 2 set pts on Bartoli's serve at 15-40.
Marion saved them with some good shots and grew in confidence, Vera with that missed oppurtunit was still thinking of those missed chances and before she knew it she had lost 5 games in a row.

Vera from 8 winners and 4UE's at 5-1 up had made another 10 errors and only 4 more winners. she got her act together from 0-30 down and took the set into TB and she stopped making errors and forced Marion on back foot with searing shots.

Vera won TB 7-0. Marion went off court for a bathroom break.
When match resumed Vera lost her serve and it looked like swinging Marion's way, she was geting into the groove and Vera was again making errors but when it came to the crunch at 3-5, Vera got her act together and blasted Marion away to win 7-6(0) 7-5

Svetlana was already 6-1 4-2 up when i went to court 3.
Sveta lost serve at 40-0 up, suddenly match was on and Tatiana from being subdued woke up and started to hit winners of her own.

They kept breakin each other. Sveta served for match at 5-3 but was broken and Tatiana won 3 games in a row and had set pt which Sveta saved with a glorious FH.

TB was pretty tense and Tatiana from being 2 pts away from taking match into 3rd set serving at 5-4 got a little tense and sensing that Sveta won both pts agains serve and won the match with another winner.

kept a few other scores from courts nearby
Barbora Strycova woke up from 0-3 to Cory Ann Avants to win pretty easily in end 6-3 6-2.

Best performance of day has to be Sunitha Rao's demolition of Angelique Widjaja in rd 2.

Sunitha pushed her back and overwhelmed her with flat groundies. Angie had no answer today.

PHEW what a day , still some matches going on so gonna go back after some food.

TS
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg

Svetlanas 1st match wasn't a match all over before it started.

LOL! So true! I saw some of this and that poor Aussie was no where near getting a game! hehe, did u see how Sveta was so keen to finish it off, she wouldnt even sit down at the change of ends, she'd be up on court!

Anyway, snuck a look at most of those matches u listed! Maria Sharapova is quite impressive and I wasnt expecting her to win this! Did u get to see Gisella at all? I missed it, was watching Monica-Martina on the screen. I cant believe Gisella lost! :( And whats up with Angie? Getting crushed by Belobrajdic in quallies and now losing in the girls. Also Marion Bartoli lost :(

Did u see the Hewitt clan (mum, dad, Jaslyn) watching Elke? Their not hard to spot ;) Especially the mum with those enormous sunnies :cool:

Anyway, I was surprised to see Sveta enter this event, thinking she may give up juniors, but I guess she wants a junior slam under her belt!...but I think her biggest challenge will be her QF match!

BTW, this was the first time I've ever seen junior tennis!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Juniors is alot of fun especially in 2nd week of a slam when in all probability all my favs are out so i dont really care.

didn't really see Gisella much, just a passing glimpse . good thing was they didnt schedule matches near Vodafone Arena :)

Su-wei took care of Czafikova in 3rd rd as she and Gisella were on for ages.

Sveta didnt sit down as she was trying to finish it quick, she knew she had another match.

Angie was disappointing but the standard of the juniors is very good.

didnt go back afterwards ...... saw Elke was running all over Matea, she was serving great 80% or so in set 1.
Watched the other SF on the box.

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Girls' Day at Melbourne Park

Thursday 24 January 2002

By Eleanor Preston

On a packed Thursday at Melbourne Park, day four of the junior Australian Open saw mixed fortunes for some of the leading lights of the boys? and girls? events. In the boys? tournament, Australia?s Todd Reid continued his good run at his home Grand Slam with an impressive 76(3) 61 win over seventh seed Brian Baker; Isreali Dudi Sela knocked out Luka Gregorc 64 62 and German hotshot Philipp Petzschner overcame an arm injury to down Britain?s Alex Bogdanovic in three sets.

Richard Gasquet is already regarded as one of France?s best hopes for the future and he endorsed that by booking his place in the fourth round with a 60 61 victory eighth seed Yordan Kanev. Third seed Lamine Ouahab, the highest seed left in the boys? draw, will be Gasquet?s next challenge. Ouahab marched into the last 16 by beating Michal Przysiezny 62 62.

If the boys? were busy in the third round, life got even more complicated in the girls? competition, where a backlog of matches dating from rain on Monday and Tuesday meant many players had to fit in two matches in one day. Top seed Svetlana Kuznetsova won twice without dropping a set, cruising past Alex McGoodwin and Tatiana Golovin to move in the fourth round. Giant killer of the day was Russia?s Vera Douchevina, who knocked out 15th seed Ana Vrljic and 2001 girls? junior US Open champion Marion Bartoli.

Maria Sharapova is another of Russia?s rising stars. She joined Douchevina in the last 16 after beating both fifth seed Miriam Casanova before doubling up to beat Australia?s hope Samantha Stoser.

?I played a lot of weekend tournaments when I was younger so I got used to playing two matches in one day, and that helped a lot,? said Sharapova. ?It?s difficult though. The first match gives you confidence because you win but then you have to start all over again.?

Sharapova is hotly tipped to join the phalanx of young Russians currently causing a stir on the women?s tour. The 14-year-old has spent much of her life away from her homeland but says she is still proudly Russian. ?I go back whenever I can because I have friends and family in Russia and I miss it a lot,? said Sharapova. ?I will always play for Russia and it?s great to win for your country? She next plays Elke Clijsters for a place in the quarter-finals. Elke, sister of women?s semi-finalist Kim Clijsters, beat Dominique Van Boekel and third seed Matea Mezak.

tenn_ace
Jan 24th, 2002, 04:47 PM
thanks for the report...

Maria's comeback was impressive as Vera's win!!!

let's keep our fingers crossed!

go Russian girls!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

the cat
Jan 24th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the updates, Eggy! It sounds like you're having alot of fun. And it would have been even better for you if Anna Bastrikova, Dinara Safina and Maria Kirilenko were playing the junior Australian Open. Udachi Russian girls! Especially Maria!

Steveg
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:10 AM
And what a great day this Friday is for the French boys :

3 French boys in the Junior semi-finals :) . This is simply amazing :D .

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (unseeded), Clément Morel (#16) and Richard Gasquet (#11) all made it in QF.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga will now face Clément Morel and Richard Gasquet Tood Reid.

GO BOYS :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: .