PDA

View Full Version : The Official "Allez Mary" Cheering Thread!

Mary Pierce
Jun 11th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Cheer our french amazon on in here guys!

Mary, kick some english butt @ Wimbledon 2003!!!

GOOD LUCK :kiss:

m_pierce fan
Jun 11th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Let's make a big noise in here Mary fans!!!
C'mon Mary!
Have a good tourney!!! :angel: :worship: :worship: :worship:

NicoMary
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:14 AM
:bounce: :wavey: Go MARY P :wavey: :bounce:

Scotso
Jun 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM
This is Mary's best chance for a slam now, I think. If she can attack the net and end points quickly....

good luck, Mary!

Mary Pierce
Jun 14th, 2003, 11:08 AM
C'mon Mary, we are behind you! :kiss:

(don't forget to rate this thread 5 stars guys!!!)

Mary Pierce
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:21 AM
Mary will play Ansley Cargill in the first round after coming off a great doubles run at the Ordina Open last week. Great tune-up for Mary and hopefully she can get through this one!!

Scotso
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:24 AM
I'm pretty sure that if Mary plays within herself that Cargill can't give her much of a challenge.

Allez Mary!

Mary Pierce
Jun 22nd, 2003, 07:10 AM
Go Mary!!!

Edman
Jun 22nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
Mary,it's your show time!!!!!!

It's a good draw and a good opportunity for you to comeback with success!!

Mark Spruce
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:50 AM
GO MARY

Best of luck Babe !!!!!!

regards

Mark

p.s I have 3 pics from Ordina Open on my site now

www.mary-pierce.org

Mary Pierce
Jun 23rd, 2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the pics Mark and good luck Mary tomorrow!

Scotso
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:49 PM
I wish that Mary would play doubles here. Of course, I don't want her to be tired on championship saturday ;)

Scotso
Jun 23rd, 2003, 12:50 PM
wow, is it just me or does Mary look really fit in those pictures? much better than any time in the previous few years.

Mark Spruce
Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Mary Pierce----My Pleasure

Dr. Scotso--I have to agree I think that she is getting back into shape.

regards

Mark

mauresmofan
Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
Best of Luck Maam!

Scotso
Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:09 PM
Mary's match for tomorrow is "To Be Announced" :rolleyes:

Hopefully she'll get to play on center court and we'll see her on TV :D

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:12 PM
Mary has just had a hard match with Ashley Cargill and won by the close score of 6-0 6-0 !!!!!

WELL DONE MARY !!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Mark

Scotso
Jun 24th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Our old Mary was back today... hopefully back for good!

ALLEZ MARY! :worship:

THE NET
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Hope she can continue this superb form.

Bon chance Mary!! ;) Win the WIMBLEDON 2003 :D

Mark Spruce
Jun 24th, 2003, 11:58 PM
I have updated my WEB SITE and have started the Wimbledon 2003 Gallery. It has 2 pictures in there so far.

Take a look here PHOTO'S HERE (http://www.mary-pierce.org/updated_news_for_the_site.htm)

regards

Mark

mauresmofan
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Maam gave her 2 Bagels without the butter! Way to go maam - now continue playing like you can here!

Scotso
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Mary is first up on court 2 tomorrow :D

ALLEZ MARY!

mauresmofan
Jun 25th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Wow we might actually get to see a womens match on BBC if :rolleyes: Tim :rolleyes: Henman's :rolleyes: old match isn't being reviewed or his next match isn't being hyped up to the last. Who knew women played tennis too? Certainly not the BBC.

Go Maam show Eleni what power really is! :worship:

raquel
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:03 PM
Well done Mary on your first round win :bounce:

Good luck tomorrow girl :)

VivalaSeles
Jun 25th, 2003, 10:40 PM
Allez Mary :kiss:

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Best of luck Mary !!!!!!!!

Just have fun out there and be happy

regards

Mark

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Mary downs E. Daniilidou !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ypeeeeeeeeeeeeeee WELL DONE !!!!!!

regards

Mark

Berlin_Calling
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:48 PM
WELL DONE MARY!!! GO ALL THE WAY!! :bounce:

Scotso
Jun 26th, 2003, 01:58 PM
Congrats Mary!!!!!!!! :bounce:

Keep it up!

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:24 PM
I will have some NET CAM Pics up on my site in a few hours from the match.

regards

Mark

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Pierce Upsets Daniilidou at Wimbledon
14 minutes ago

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

WIMBLEDON, England - Two-time Grand Slam champion Mary Pierce (news) upset No. 14-seeded Eleni Daniilidou 6-4, 6-1 Thursday in the second round at Wimbledon (news - web sites).

AP Photo
Slideshow: Wimbledon

Pierce, ranked 86th and plagued by injuries in recent years, advanced to the third round of a major event for the first time since Wimbledon last year. She lost in the opening round at this year's French Open (news - web sites), and in the second round at the Australian Open (news - web sites).

But she looked in fine form against Daniilidou. Pierce won the Australian Open in 1995 and the French Open in 2000, but her best showing at Wimbledon was a quarterfinal appearance in 1996.

"She's a delight to watch when she's on her game," said Pam Shriver, a five-time Wimbledon doubles champion and now a BBC commentator. "And I've never seen her apply her skills so well on a grass court. She now becomes a danger figure in her part of the draw."

Pierce faces a potential quarterfinal matchup against French Open champion Justine Henin-Hardenne, who was scheduled to play later Thursday.

------------------------------------

regards

Mark

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Pierce makes light work of 14th seed
20 minutes ago

LONDON (AFP) - Mary Pierce wasted little time in sweeping aside the challenge of Greece's Eleni Daniilidou in the second round here at Wimbledon (news - web sites).

AFP Photo

Pierce, who has been plagued by a succession of injuries over the last three years, disposed of the number 14 seed 6-4, 6-1, despite making plenty of unforced errors during the short match.

Pierce arrived at the All England club unseeded, but the Montreal-born Frenchwoman has a Grand Slam pedigree after winning the French and Australian Open (news - web sites) during an illustrious career, and looks to be coming back into form after long periods on the sidelines.

Having claimed the title at Roland Garros in 2000, the first Frenchwoman to do so since Francoise Durr in 1967, Pierce's progress was halted by injury.

She withdrew from her fourth round match with Anke Huber at the US Open and from all subsequent events that season because of tendonitis in her right shoulder.

A brief return at the 2001 Australian Open was soon followed by a chronic spine inflammation which kept her out for most of the season and although Pierce returned last year, a number of strains and sprains hampered her progress.

This year, however, has looked far more promising for the 28-year-old, and Pierce has shown signs of rediscovering her former powers in reaching the quarter-finals of two two WTA events, in Hyderabad and Charleston.

Her third round opponent here will be American number 24 seed Lisa Raymond, a player with no shortage of grass court experience having won the mixed doubles at Wimbledon in 1999 with Leander Paes.

If she is to progress beyond the third round for the first time since 1999, Pierce will certainly need to eradicate the basic mistakes which dogged her progress through a tight first set against Daniilidou.

Pierce looked rather sluggish and too often she attempted to force winners instead of waiting for the opportunities to present themselves, allowing her opponent to stay in touch as the match went with serve until 4-5.

But as would happen later in the match, Daniilidou felt the pressure at crucial times, double-faulting in the tenth game to set up a set point which Pierce gratefully converted with a powerful forehand winner.

That game set the tone for the remainder of the match as the French player's superior talent began to emerge after only fleeting appearances in the opening set.

In blazing sunshine, Daniilodou double-faulted again at 30-30 in both the first and fourth games of a totally one-sided second set. Pierce took both chances and had little trouble serving out the set.

------------------

regards

Mark

VivalaSeles
Jun 26th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Keep on winning, Mary :kiss:

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 07:24 PM
The pics from today should be up on the site now.

HAVE A LOOK HERE (http://www.mary-pierce.org/updated_news_for_the_site.htm)

regards

Mark

THE NET
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Marvellous performance by M.Pierce today.
She rarely made unforced errors and, instead, managed to hit lots of winners.
Keep on going and beat Lisa and Justine...PLEASE!! :worship:

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Here is Mary's interview after her match

regards

Mark

Mary Pierce - Day 4

Thursday, June 26, 2003

Mary Pierce

Mary Pierce - Day 4
Thursday, June 26, 2003

M. PIERCE/E. Daniilidou

6‑4, 6‑1

Q. You've had so many injury problems and everything. You've come into Wimbledon with no expectations. You're looking very good. Do you feel good?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, thank you.

Feeling better.

Q. Yeah?

MARY PIERCE: Definitely better. You know, happy to be here and be competing.

Q. Can you tell us what the last couple of years have been like?

MARY PIERCE: Well, I mean, imagine having a few injuries and not being able to go to work every day, so...

Maybe you could imagine what that would be like.

But everybody's different. So, for me, it was difficult. You know, I always try to learn from situations in life. And, you know, I believe that everything happens for a reason. And, you know, one day I'll be able to look back and know what that is, hopefully but...

You know, I just took it day by day and tried to do the best that I could every day, really.

Q. Did you think you might not come back?

MARY PIERCE: Those thoughts do come in your head every once in a while. I know there was one time where I was doubtful if I would be able to play again with my back injury.

But, you know, that's all humans, I think. We're emotional – especially I am, and, you know, a sensitive person. I take things very to heart, and I do things with, you know, my heart.

You know, I like to do something either full‑out or not do it at all, and I'm very passionate about what I do.

So, yeah, I mean, it was difficult. But at the same time, I spent a lot of time at home so...

Q. How did you stay positive? What did you do to stay positive during this time?

MARY PIERCE: Well, I just did what I had to do and a lot of that was just rest and not really able to do a lot.

So, you know, I have two dogs and – well, I had one dog and I got another dog, so they kept me busy.

Q. How far do you think you could go conceivably this Wimbledon, this fortnight?

MARY PIERCE: I have no idea. I mean, I'm just, you know...

I've won two matches. I'm happy. I'm just taking it day by day and match by match and just really try to do my best. You know, I wasn't sure if I was gonna come and play here or not.

Just, you know, like you said, no expectations and just going out and competing. I know I'm not at my best form right now. I'd like to be able to give myself probably at least six months. That's probably, you know – I feel like that's what I need to be back to where I want to be.

So, you know, in the meantime, I'm just happy to be healthy and competing and doing my best in all my matches, and, you know, using matches as well to get back in shape and, you know...

Q. Does it alter your perception of your own career? Because people with talent, sometimes they take the talent for granted until they have a shock like that and think they might have to give it up. Has it changed your whole approach to your career?

MARY PIERCE: No, no. It hasn't changed my approach at all.

It's just, you know, like you said, I guess with the talent, you take things for granted. I never took things for granted; I just didn't realize how easy it was for me before (smiling).

Just because it seems a lot harder now, being out of it and having to kind of really start from zero again. It's difficult, and I guess the older you are, the more difficult it is as well.

So, yeah, it's interesting.

Q. You must have quite a lot of motivation to get yourself fit to go out on court and play after so long?

MARY PIERCE: Yeah, definitely. I mean, that would be the hardest thing, with what I've achieved in my career so far and the age that I am and how long I've been on the tour. But I can definitely tell you that that's not a problem for me, and that's not something that is a problem.

You know, it's just kind of weird how my career has gone. I felt like when I won the French Open, I was starting to play my best tennis – just starting to.

I kind of feel like I've just kind of left from that point and not much has happened in those last three years for me. I just feel like, you know, all I need to do is be healthy again and be fit, and I feel like I can be even better than before. So that's my motivation.

Q. With the perspective you have now, do you feel more relaxed on court? You used to suffer from being quite nervous on court.

MARY PIERCE: Yeah, it was kind of like I was saying earlier, I really take to heart what I do. I kind of get ahead of myself. I still have to now, you know, not try to get ahead of myself because I feel like I'm playing pretty well. And I, you know, start to think, "Okay, well, you know, I could do this," start about winning and things like that. That's not good for me. So I just have to not put pressure on myself and just go out and do my best.

Q. Can you almost want it too much?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, definitely. That's possible. I mean, of course. I think everybody really wants to win, and no one wants to lose.

You know, being an individual sport, you're competitive, you know. But that's the thing that I have to let go of and that I've learned – that I don't really have control over the outcome. I just can control, you know, giving my best and having fun on the court. And whatever happens, happens.

Q. How important has your faith been? I think at the French Open you said you believed there was a reason you won that. Now you lost two or three years. Hasn't been so good.

MARY PIERCE: Yeah, well, I've had injuries. But other than that, I'm fine so...

Q. I'm just wondering, your faith made you strong. Is that what's kept you going?

MARY PIERCE: I think definitely that has helped me get through all the difficult times. And just to continue to have faith and believe and to trust that, you know, that this all happens for a reason and that I have to just do my best and know that everything's going to work out.

Q. Your being coached by Sven, I gather?

MARY PIERCE: Uh‑hmm.

Q. He was very supportive on court today, I noticed.

MARY PIERCE: Uh‑hmm.

Q. Do you think that will also bring dividends?

MARY PIERCE: Definitely. You know, it's important, the people that I have around me. Environment is important.

So, you know, I'm really happy to be working with him again. We've worked together in the past and done really well.

So it's just ‑‑ I was looking for someone that knew me, that I felt cared about me ‑ not just as a tennis player but as a person, and, you know, wasn't ‑‑ that person had the courage to be brutally honest with me and tell me what I need to hear. And I think that that was the only things that would help me. You know, I don't need to hear whatever, you know, so...

That's important for me.

Q. The court itself, that court, which you've sometimes had good luck and bad luck on, what is your feeling playing out there on Court 2?

MARY PIERCE: To me, every court's the same.

Q. Really? There's nothing to the reputation?

MARY PIERCE: I know that I guess here they say it's the "graveyard court," and a lot of seeds go down. It worked today in my favor, so...

I don't know. I think things like that happen on other courts as well, so, I mean, I don't believe in luck.

Q. You say like you appeared to have almost stopped when you won the French Open. How far do you think the game itself has moved on since then?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, it's gotten a lot better. The girls are a lot stronger, they move better, they hit harder. The game has definitely improved.

Q. When you're away from the game that you learned to play very young and you spent so much time with, what do you really miss ‑ the sensation of playing in front of people and having it matter, having the result count? What do you miss the most about the game?

MARY PIERCE: I couldn't really say one thing in particular. It's just everything that has to do with it. You know what I think I missed the most was the sun and sweating, being out and exercising and just being able to run and jump and, you know...

I just, I missed that.

Q. Without pain, you mean?

MARY PIERCE: Yeah.

Q. Martina Navratilova said something interesting last night about the court being a haven for players; it's somewhere where they can push away, perhaps, anything on their mind. Do you share that view? Is it like that for you? You say you missed the sun and running around.

MARY PIERCE: Sorry?

Q. You said you missed the sun and running around. Is it a haven for you?

MARY PIERCE: I think the sun and sweating, my body is so used to exercising. You get used to that, and when you don't, I just don't feel good.

But as far as the court being a haven for me, I mean, yes, when I do go on the court, I think I'm able to put everything else aside and just focus on my match and what I need to do. So I kind of, yeah, whatever's going on, I kind of forget about it.

But I think if I have issues or problems or something bothering me, I wouldn't want to just go on a court to forget about them. I think I'd want to have a quiet place and, you know, deal with them.

Q. Did they ever interfere with the way you played, if you had any worries?

MARY PIERCE: Sometimes, yeah, it happens. I mean, we're all human.

Mark Spruce
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:38 PM
Pierce's Experience Tells

© Getty Images

Thursday, June 26, 2003

There is a theory that professional sport is a young person's game but there is much to be said for a spot of experience. After 14 years on the road - a journey that has earned her two Grand Slam titles and more than a few headlines - Mary Pierce probably has rather more experience than she would have wanted.

Still, it all came in handy today as she unpicked the defences of Eleni Daniilidou 6-4, 6-1.

Since the heady days of 2000 when Pierce confounded her critics, overcame her nerves and won the French Open title, she has been a regular at the doctor's surgery. First it was a shoulder injury that scuppered her, then a serious back condition and finally, last year, a pair of sore ankles held her back.

She has managed a fairly consistent run on the circuit this year and, even if the results have not been great, the injuries have been kept to a minimum.

She has also renewed her coaching partnership with Sven Groeneveld, Greg Rusedski's former coach. He had two spells working with Pierce before joining forces with the British No.2 in 1998 and, after a phone call out of the blue three weeks ago, has gone back to his old job.

These days there is rather more of Mary than there used to be. Add to this new look a sense of inner serenity - the twitches and tics of her heyday are no more - and she resembles a ship in full sail as she makes stately progress around the baseline.

Some things never change, though, and the thumping forehand is still a shot to marvel at and, if you have any sense, stay away from. It was all a bit too much for Daniilidou. She gives the ball a hefty clout herself but, alas, made the mistake of hitting in the general direction of Piece's racket.

Pierce's movement is still a bit of an issue but with so many years of experience behind her, she knows when to run fast and when to stay put. Ladies of elegance and maturity do not waste their time getting hot and bothered by chasing after lost causes. But if she was not quite as good as she used to be, she was still more than Daniilidou could handle.

After a tight first set and holding three break points on the Pierce serve at the start of the second, the Greek girl began to fray at the edges. Sensing panic in the opposing camp, Pierce started walloping the ground strokes and stood back top watch Daniilidou unravel completely. That's what experience can do for a girl.

regards

Mark

Scotso
Jun 26th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Great stuff, Mary :worship:

mauresmofan
Jun 27th, 2003, 12:29 AM
"Ladies of elegance and maturity do not waste their time getting hot and bothered by chasing after lost causes. But if she was not quite as good as she used to be, she was still more than Daniilidou could handle."

I Love it! :hearts: Good Luck Mary we need you back in the top 32 for starters! :worship:

Mary Pierce
Jun 27th, 2003, 11:43 AM
"Ladies of elegance and maturity do not waste their time getting hot and bothered by chasing after lost causes. But if she was not quite as good as she used to be, she was still more than Daniilidou could handle."

I Love it! :hearts: Good Luck Mary we need you back in the top 32 for starters! :worship:

Hi mauresmofan!

I love that quite too, it sums Mary's presence on court up beautifully!

How does everyone think she will go against Raymond??? :confused:

Scotso
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:14 PM
Mary won their only match, and that was when she wasn't really at her best (2000 US Open).

I think Mary has a great chance... she would need to come to net a lot to keep Raymond back. I think she can do it.

Allez Mary!

Mark Spruce
Jun 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM
I know that Mary can do it. Positive thoughts and wishes from us her fans will help

Mark

mauresmofan
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Good Luck against Lisa - Mary's not the greatest volleyer I've ever seen but what's great is she's willing to come to net, take a few chances and cut out the baseline rallies.

Come on Mary You can do it!

tarah
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Good luck Mary!!

Scotso
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Mary 2nd tomorrow on court 18 :fiery:

If she wins this and plays Henin, they better put her on center court :fiery:

Scotso
Jun 27th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Allez Mary! Kick Her Ass!

Mark Spruce
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Hello,

I would have thought this match would have been on one of the show courts

PFFFISSSSSS to the Wimbledon comittee :fiery: :fiery:

I don't think I will be able to make it online for the match. Could some one please if they are doing so save the NET CAM pics of Mary.

best regards

Mark

Scotso
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:24 AM
I would but my internet hasn't been working well lately, so I don't know...

I'm going to try to be here though.

Mark Spruce
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Just found this

regards

Mark

Big-hearted Pierce redirects bumpy career

By Matthew Cronin

Susan Mullane/Camerawork USA, Inc.
FROM WIMBLEDON – There are few players who are as different oncourt and off as Mary Pierce, as fierce a hitter and staredown artists as there is in the game and at times, as soft-spoken and sensitive a woman that you'll ever meet in the pressroom.

Pierce has had a hellish road since winning '00 Roland Garros and it all started here at the All-England two weeks later, when she tore up her rotator cuff. Since then, the big blonde has been a shadow of her former self, dealing with an emergency room surgeon's list of injuries, including aliments in both ankles, a chronically bad back and abdominal strains.

"It's just weird how my career has gone. I felt like when I won the French Open, I was starting to play my best," said Pierce, who upset No. seed Eleni Daniilidou 6-4, 6-1 and moved into the third round. "From that point on, not much has happened in the last three years. Just imagine having a few injuries and not being able to go to work every day. It was difficult. There was one time where I was doubtful if I would be able to play again. I'm especially emotional and sensitive. I take things very to heart, and I do things with my heart."

At age 28, Pierce knows the clock is ticking. She's bagged two Grand Slam titles (including the '95 Australian Open), won fifteen crowns and, by year's end, could enter the $7 million dollar prize money club. But she's loves the sport and likes being in the elite mix. Merely winning a few matches here or there won't satisfy her.

But what she really missed was the thrill of competing and the wonderful feeling you get when your body allows you to fire a ball back on the full stretch.

"What I missed the most was the sun and sweating, being out and exercising and just being able to run and jump. When I can't exercise, I just don't feel good," she said.

LONG AND HARD HISTORY
Mary has come along way since she first started on tour, when she a super shy and confused girl who was under the dominating thumb of her abusive father and coach, Jim. She eventually broke away from him and took control of her life, involving herself in a long engagement with New York Mets second baseman Roberto Alomar, that ended in a trying breakup a year and half ago.

While her conditioning hasn't always been top notch – she went through a partying phase and she has gone through a slew of coaches – Pierce never considered herself a natural athlete who was bound to prosper. She grew up poor and spent many nights sleeping in the back of her dads' Cadillac when they drove across the U.S. to junior tournaments.

She fought with the French tennis Federation (her mother is French and she trained there for two years as a child) but eventually made up with them, became a key part of their Fed Cup team and was fully embraced by the French public after she won Roland Garros. All she knows how to do is work, even when it seems like the world is against her.

"With talent, you take things for granted. I never took things for granted," she said. "I just didn't realize how easy it was for me before (the injuries) because it seems a lot harder now and having to start from zero again. The older you are, the more difficult it is."

Against the big-hitting Daniilidou, Pierce was torrid off the ground and showed the same kind of pinpoint returning that once brought her to No. 3 in the world. Her legs look a little heavy and her arms aren't as cut as they used to be, but the 5-10, 150-pounder still looks like she could pick up the front end of a bus. But Pierce knows the game is moving ahead and quick and strong 6-foot-tall girls are dropping out of trees.

"The game's gotten a lot better," she said. "The girls are a lot stronger, move better, hit harder."

Given how much money she has earned, Pierce could have retired any time the past couple years, lived comfortably and waiting for her probable Hall of Fame induction. But she still wants to be noticed on court, which is why she's willing to gut it out despite being burdened with a body that is likely to keep breaking down the rest of her career.

"I feel like all I need to do is be healthy and fit again and I can be even better than before," she said. "Motivation is not a problem for me."

In the next round, the No. 83-ranked Pierce will face veteran Lisa Raymond, a tough foe on grass. Pierce has no illusions that she's a title contender here, but a visit to the second week isn't out of the question and that will do wonders for her confidence.

"I'm just taking it match by match and trying to do my best," she said. "I wasn't sure if I was gonna come and play here or not. I know I'm not at my best form right now. I'd like to be able to give myself at least six months. That's what I need to be back to where I want to be. I still have to not try to get ahead of myself."

Mark Spruce
Jun 28th, 2003, 03:41 AM
I would but my internet hasn't been working well lately, so I don't know...

I'm going to try to be here though.

HEY that will be so kind of you if you could do that. But if you can't I completely understand

Mark

Mary Pierce
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:12 AM
HEY that will be so kind of you if you could do that. But if you can't I completely understand

Mark

Hey Mark don't worry coz I will be online watching the match and will save them all for you. Just let me know if you want them emailed or posted here. :D

Mary, were all behind you - good luck in about 4 hours!!! :kiss:

VivalaSeles
Jun 28th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Congratulations Mary :kiss:

Scotso
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Mary Pierce def. Lisa Raymond 4-6 6-3 7-5 :D

:bounce: Mary :bounce:

Now beat the reigning RG champion! :D

Scotso
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:08 PM
Despite the scoreline, Mary played very well. I think she has a chance against Justine! :D

Mark Spruce
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Hey Mark don't worry coz I will be online watching the match and will save them all for you. Just let me know if you want them emailed or posted here. :D

Mary, were all behind you - good luck in about 4 hours!!! :kiss:

Hello, I am so happy today. I woke up and found out that Mary had won. And a few minutes ago I heard Mary give an interview on the BBC ypeeeeeeeeeeeeee

If you could E-mail them to me please. That would be great.

regards

Mark

Mark Spruce
Jun 28th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Well done Mary. I am so happy for you. You had a good work out !!!!!!!!!

Oh I have updated my site with pics from todays match. Please take a lookENTER HERE (http://www.mary-pierce.org/updated_news_for_the_site.htm)

take care

Mark

THE NET
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Very well done Mary. :worship:

I watched she played...it was fabolous! Keep this form..play even better in the next match! :D

mauresmofan
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Way To Go Maam - I'm a big fan of Justine but wouldn't be at all upset if Mary pulled off the upset of the tournament. Mary you've played a wonderful tournament just go out there and give it all you've got! GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

Scotso
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:57 AM
I can't believe that they put Mary on court three on Monday!

She's playing the Roland Garros champion, and she herself holds two grand slams! How shitty of them.

Of course Andy and Timmy who have no slams and their opponents have none are both on center court :rolleyes:

Scotso
Jun 29th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Ugh who makes these schedules :fiery:

Benny
Jun 29th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Good Luck Mary, glad to see you doing so well:)

Mark Spruce
Jun 29th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Mary Pierce - Day 6

Saturday, June 28, 2003

Mary Pierce - Day 6
Saturday, June 28, 2003

Q. That was pretty hard, watching it from the stands. What was it like playing three sets out there?

MARY PIERCE: Hot weather?

Q. Hard.

MARY PIERCE: I thought you said "hot." Sorry.

Yeah. Yeah, it was a battle, definitely. Lisa served really well. She is a tough opponent on grass, and, you know, I just feel I think the difference for me was in the beginning, wasn't really feeling quite settled in yet. The important points, I wasn't winning those. Missing shots by very little, if any.

You know, I think the second and the third set, I just tried to stay calm and little more relaxed and have fun instead of taking it too serious and putting pressure on myself and really wanting to win so badly and doing so well.

So I just tried to, you know, take that pressure off myself, say, "Mary, just have fun, relax, enjoy the match and try to do your best, but don't worry about winning or losing."

I think that made a big difference and I started to play much better.

Q. Your reaction at the end, when you looked at your coach, I couldn't tell whether you couldn't quite believe what you'd done or you were really happy. Was there a bit of both? You looked shocked?

MARY PIERCE: I look shocked?

Q. Yeah.

MARY PIERCE: No, I was just happy, relieved. Yeah, I think it's a match, for me, that really meant a lot. It was very special in a sense that I just fought really hard and played with my heart and, you know ‑‑ because I still feel that, you know, my game is there, I'm playing well. But, you know, I'm still not back to the level of where I want to be.

So it's more difficult to go out there and play matches not being in that level where I want to be. So all I really do is just use my mind a lot more.

And just be mentally tough and fight.

Q. Are you suggesting that you've almost sort of overachieved in your own mind to get this far at Wimbledon this year?

MARY PIERCE: Maybe. I don't know. I mean, I wasn't sure if I was going to come here or not. After Roland Garros, you know, I took some time off to think about things. Started working with Sven and went to Amsterdam, had a lot of discussions, practices, and kind of just took things day by day, really, and decided to come here and play without any expectations, using this as part of the process of me getting back to the level that I want to be at, and, you know, just taking things match by match really.

Q. What is it that you need to build on? Clearly, you can play and win important tennis matches. You said after your previous round that it might be six months before you get to that level. What is it that you need to add to your game now?

MARY PIERCE: What I need to add to my game?

Q. You said it would be six months before you're at the level that you want to be at.

MARY PIERCE: Yeah, well, I mean, I think the first thing that's pretty obvious is physically I'm not in the shape that I've been in my career. That's pretty much the biggest thing.

I didn't realise how far off I was or how bad things got, really, when I took all that time off with my injury. It was really like starting from zero. I didn't think it was going to take such a long time to get back.

But actually I've accepted the fact that it does take time, and so I've accepted that. I've accepted to be patient. I've accepted to put the hard work in because I know what I want and I believe in myself and, you know, that's the only way to do it.

Q. Is there a special training regimen you're on at the moment or is it general fitness work?

MARY PIERCE: Well, there's not really any secrets. Just hard work and good nutrition and good rest and, you know, things that I've done before.

Q. I saw you sharing a light moment with Brad Gilbert on the practice courts. I know you worked with him for a few months. Can you just talk about what he was like as a coach? And when you were saying you were just going to go out there and have fun, you were thinking to yourself the second set on or whatever, it sounded like something Brad would tell somebody to, you know, not think of the results, just go out and be in the moment, enjoy yourself.

MARY PIERCE: I had a lot of fun working with him. He was very funny. He's very entertaining.

Q. What did you learn from him? Is there one thing you took away from the experience?

MARY PIERCE: I think what Brad’s really good at, among other things, he was a great player and he still can hit the ball really well, he plays very well. I think he was very smart and intelligent with the way he played the game. You know, I never used to think when I played, just hit the ball really hard. So he tried to get me to use my brain a little more.

Q. When you were having all those discussions about whether to come here, how to proceed, what were the pros and cons you were weighing?

MARY PIERCE: The pros and cons...

Well, basically, after the French Open, I did not want to go and play another tournament the way that I played that one, and I didn't feel like I was ready to go play a tournament. I thought if I went and played, I would have done the same thing, which was not an option for me.

You know, and then just ‑ you know, things just happened really quickly while we were training. I just started to feel every day better, and hitting the ball better. You know, also with the ranking system that we have, the way the points come off after every tournament, you know. I only have I think like 14 tournaments, and I think they take best of 17 or 18. Every tournament I play is kind of a bonus. It didn't really matter what I did here, if I lost first round or quarters or won the tournament. It helps.

I had some points coming off because I did decent last year. It was really a win‑win situation if I came. No matter what I did, it would help my ranking; it would get some match practice and help get me in shape.

Q. Considering the bad taste you had from France, was it scary to say, "I'm going to commit, I'm going to do it"?

MARY PIERCE: No, I mean, once I made the decision, I didn't think like that at all.

Q. What was the low point for you in terms of your off time and can you talk a little bit more about your back problems? Was there a period where you weren't able to pick up a racquet at all?>

MARY PIERCE: Seven months long.

Q. And what was it like mentally? What was the low point or physically how much did it hurt?

MARY PIERCE: Oh, physically it hurt when I walked, you know. I had pain in my hip and everything. I couldn't do a lot of things. I watched a lot of TV, read, was on the computer, played with my dogs, hung out with my friends. So, you know...

Q. Was it just rest?

MARY PIERCE: Yeah, in the beginning just rest. It needed to heal. Not even any kind of rehab or anything like that, any exercises. So it was long. You know, seven months is a long time. I didn't really realize how long it was. Sometimes they say it takes double that time, however long you're out, to get back.

So, you know, I've just accepted that I'm going to be patient and do whatever it takes.

Q. Was it your back or your hip?

MARY PIERCE: It was my back.

Q. Did you enjoy that time? The pain aside, did you enjoy having that sort of down time? Was there anything positive to take from that?

MARY PIERCE: Well, you know, everything always happens for a reason, I say. I definitely would have preferred being healthy and being out there playing, but I didn't have the choice. So I, you know, basically made the best with what I had and the situation that I was dealt with, and I just took it day by day.

Mark Spruce
Jun 29th, 2003, 05:39 AM
Hello All,

I have just updated my site again, with some more NET CAM pics and some normal ones now.

Take a Look ENTER (http://www.mary-pierce.org/updated_news_for_the_site.htm)

regards

Mark

VeNuS#1LoVa
Jun 29th, 2003, 05:52 AM
GO MARY!

KICK JUJU'S BUTT!

I hope she make the Semifinals! :)

Mary Pierce
Jun 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Mary, we are sooo proud of you!

Mark Spruce
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Yes I am so proud of Mary.

What ever happens tommorow. Lets all be behind Mary wish her well and Congratulate her on her great play so far.

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Shana
Jun 30th, 2003, 05:38 AM
GO! MARY GO!

LOVE U!! MARY
:bounce:

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Just a few hours now until our Mary is in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon for the second time :D

raquel
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Allez Mary !! Go for the lines! :bounce:

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 02:24 PM
Just when Mary's match begins it starts raining :mad:

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:47 PM
2-1* Mary :D

allez! get the break!

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 03:54 PM
3-2* Mary :D

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM
3*-3 15-40 :sad:
30-40...

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:01 PM
3*-3 15-40 :sad:
30-40...

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:02 PM
3-4* :sad:

get the break back, Mary!

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Justine holds to love :mad:

3*-5

tarah
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Allez Mary :)

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:04 PM
seven straight points to Justine...

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Mary wins two! :D 30-30

allez Mary!

Scotso
set point Justine...

Scotso
3-6

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:13 PM
3-6 1-1*

break her, Mary!

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:16 PM
This isn't looking good for Mary... she can't make a dent on Justine's serve.

Come on Mary! Wake up and CRUSH HER!

3-6 1*-2

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:20 PM
3-6 2-2* 0-30*

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Justine holds to love again :mad:

3-6 2*-3

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:26 PM
15-40
30-40
40-40 allez!
AD-40

3-6 3-3*

wd Mary! now BREAK!

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:32 PM
3-6 3-5* :sad:

fight Mary!

Scotso
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:34 PM
3-6 3-6 :sad:

Justine was on fire today.

Congrats Mary, you played an amazing tournament and you pleasantly surprised all of your fans :D :kiss:

Mark Spruce
Jun 30th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Yes I think that Mary did so well this year at SW19.

I think that a big CONGRATULATIONS to Mary.

Especially when she doubted that she was going to play.

Mary WELL DONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

THE NET
Jun 30th, 2003, 07:41 PM
So bad Mary lost.

But I am just happy, very... indeed, to see her being able to play again, and, beated some seeded players. I hope she will get back to top 10 again soon. Keep on working Mary!!! :D

mauresmofan
Jun 30th, 2003, 09:35 PM
GREAT Tournamant Mary - Stay Healthy and if you can keep coming up with wins like these in the next few months who knows where you'll be ranked by this time next year!!!

VivalaSeles
Jun 30th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Thank you Mary for a great tournament :kiss: