PDA

View Full Version : Who's going?

Martian Martin
Jun 10th, 2003, 12:50 PM
The question is in the title ;)

I'll be there in the first week, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Could be there Saturday and the 2nd Monday as well. My luck ran out with tickets this year, so it'll be queuing up each day!

I'm going with a certain person on the Monday/Tuesday ;), but will be on my own on the Thursday/Friday, so just wondered who was going. If there was quite a few of us, then there could be a possibility of a good number of people meeting up? :)

I can't wait for it though, should be a lot of fun as usual!

King Aaron
Jun 10th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Finally you get to ask 'the' question. ;)

bluepastures
Jun 10th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I'm on centre-court on the first Monday and court 2 on the first Friday. I won't be going on the middle Saturday, but if they have to play on the middle Sunday (due to rain earlier in the week) I would probably go.

Martian Martin
Jun 10th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Lol Aaron :p I thought I'd better hurry up, just in case the board went down again :o

King Aaron
Jun 11th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Lol Aaron :p I thought I'd better hurry up, just in case the board went down again :o
Lol, I'm sure you'll bump into at least 1 person from WTAworld and not know it. ;)

Snuffkin
Jun 11th, 2003, 11:37 PM
I'm going down on the first Monday at lunchtime so I may well take a ground pass for that afternoon. Camping out Monday night and Tuesday night. Going home Wednesday night.

Second week I'm camping out Sunday night and Monday night, so hoping to see women's 4th round and quarters. I have ballot tix for the Weds on Centre, so again, going home Wednesday night.

I'll be one of the group trying to find Pam.

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 12th, 2003, 07:28 PM
I'll be there all Week 1 and for most of Week 2 as well :)

maximus82
Jun 12th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I'm going to be there for Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday of the first week I think...random question: I've heard conflicting tales about the lines being not that bad / being pretty brutal even on the first few days of the tourney....can anybody fill me in on which is right? I'm going to have to travel all the way to Wimby from Oxford each day!

ASV_FAN
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Maximus, I've gone to Wimby the last 3 years and always queued up. Sure the queues are not that bad on the first 3 days but ya still gotta get there early if u wanna get good tix.

I went tues & wed of first week last year and got court 1 tix on the tues and court 2 tix on the wed. In 2000 I went Mon & Tues and got court 2 tix both days. 2001 went fri & sat and didn't stand a chance of anythin but a ground pass.

Dunno how long it takes to get from Oxford to London but last year we got to the queue for bout 6am and JUST got the tix for court 1 & 2.

Like I say I'll be there 1st tues & wed but don't think I know any of u ppl anyway lol.

TBE I'm sure I've seen u a few times, Wimby 2000 I saw someone I thought was you, then saw you at qualies last year and again at Wimby. Never went up to you cuz I thought if I go up and ask if someone is a boiled egg if they're not they're gonna think I'm crazy!

I think it was you anyway, same person all 3 times and I'd bet my life it's u ;) !

maximus82
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks a lot ASV_fan :) ...I'm definitely going to want to get tickets for one of the main courts on one of the days I go, but the other two I'll be fine with just a grounds pass...My favorite activity at Slams is running around all the outside courts and getting to see all the lesser-known players gut it out. Don't really see the point of watching Venus, JCap, and the rest kill their opponents in less than an hour!

Have absolutely no idea how I'll manage to get to Wimby at 6:00 AM though...perhaps I'll have to hostel it in London the night before...ack, logisitics are such a pain!

bluepastures
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Maximus, I thought they ran a very good COACH service from Oxford to London. Yes, it's 24 hour, I've just checked. Ignore the fact that it's called tube, it is a coach service!

http://www.stagecoach-oxford.co.uk/oxfordtube/timetables.html

That should run at a lot more convenient times than the train!!! Trains won't start until a bit later in the morning.

ivka
Jun 13th, 2003, 07:17 PM
Hi all, :wavey:
I am going to Wimbledon as I won at Sanex Heroes. I ve never been to Grand Slam, so I am really excited about that. I should be there from Wednesday to Friday.
I can t wait to Wimbledon!
:bounce:
Ivka

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:45 PM
TBE I'm sure I've seen u a few times, Wimby 2000 I saw someone I thought was you, then saw you at qualies last year and again at Wimby. Never went up to you cuz I thought if I go up and ask if someone is a boiled egg if they're not they're gonna think I'm crazy!

I think it was you anyway, same person all 3 times and I'd bet my life it's u ;) !

I didn't goto qualies last yr so it cant have been me ;)
anyway they won't think you're crazy..... maybe MAD :p

maximus82
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:50 PM
bluepastures - Yeah, there a few 24-hour services...I was just thinking about what an utter pain it will be to get up at like 4 am (figure 1:30 to get to Victoria, then a half hour for bus to Wimbledon?)...especially if I'm going to be out and about all day long. Hehehe, but I'll probably end up doing it nonetheless...I just pray it doesn't decide to rain that day! How much would that stink!

Oh, and if I bring a backpack w/ my own water and food I will be allowed to bring it in, right?

Martian Martin
Jun 14th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Ivka, I'm sure you'll have a great time! Congrats on winning the Sanex Heroes thing too! :)

Maximus, yeah it's fine to take a backpack with food/drink. Although your bag will be searched when you go in, basically they search through any type of bag that anyone brings in.

pierce0415
Jun 16th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Hi all... Well I just graduated college from in the states and am headed for the corporate world in the middle of July :sad: :sad: :sad:

but thankfully I just decided today that I shall come to England in the meantime and will happen to be there during the first week of Wimbledon :p I am so excited to go to Wimbledon!!! the only events I have ever been to in the past have been the US OPEN and the year end when it was in Madison Square Garden ... I know some of you have posted here about watching the lesser knowns duke it out on the outside courts and that exactly what I want to do on Wed/Thurs/Friday of the first week

My travel companions in London will be some buds from college that have no interest in tennis so I would love to meet up w/ any wtaworld poster, maybe even get to Wimbledon at some ungodly hour and "queue?" maximus? martian?

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 19th, 2003, 11:40 AM
damn do i not like draw or what :mad:

on Tuesday
how am i gonna watch all these :o ( wish a few of these were in other half)

Lina Krasnoroutskaya (not gonna miss this)
Nastya Myskina (or this if it dont clash)
Elena Dementieva
Dinara Safina
Maria Sharapova
Elena Bovina
Alina Jidkova
Elena Likhovtseva

Monday is quieter, but no less busy ;)

PAULSAS
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Alright

Maximus

Best bet is by train m8 will get you there quicker. National Express is another coach company which will go from Oxford to Victoira which is on the Distric Line so it will go straight to Southfiels then 10 min to Wimbledon Park. :bounce: :wavey:

Beckham

bbypk
Jun 19th, 2003, 09:48 PM
First week there!!! :)

AndySW6
Jun 24th, 2003, 08:37 PM
i am gonna go on my own on friday if anyone wants to meet up let me know.

Going on Weds with my visiting relatives.

Andrew