PDA

View Full Version : The Seedings of Wimbledon 2003????

K.F.C
Jun 9th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I am not 100% sure.....

But from what I remember, Wimbledon is the only Grand Slam where the seedings arrangement is based on the players' past performance instead of their current rankings....

If that's the case??? Will Venus be seeded #2 instead of Kim?? Given that Venus was last year's finalist and Kim was being knocked out in the 2nd round....

If not.... Are we gonna see both Williams on the same half? & the two Belgians on the other half?

We are gonna find that out in less than 2 weeks time...... :)

lizchris
Jun 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
You'll probably find out by next Friday.

Martian Martin
Jun 10th, 2003, 01:46 PM
I think we'll probably find out on next Monday about the seedings as they are always sorted out then. The draw always takes place really early, usually Tuesday or Wednesday.

lizchris
Jun 10th, 2003, 09:40 PM
The new Wimbeldon site says the seeds will be announced on 17 June 2003.

Andy_
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:09 AM
If I remember correctly from the past years, that is true for men, but not for the WTA tournament, actually. They pretty much stick to the ranking for the girls, so We'll probably have Serena-Kim-Justine-Venus as the top four seeds. Just as in Paris Serena and Venus could end up on the same half of the draw as well as have a chance to meet in the final only.

samhatz
Jun 11th, 2003, 10:52 AM
go Venue-Serena semi...and hopefully they are both beaten in the quarters at the latest!!

Gus
Jun 11th, 2003, 06:33 PM
... which is pathetic, since Amelie-melo is certainly better than Kim on grass...
GRUNT

FromAce2Ace
Jun 12th, 2003, 03:11 AM
At the 1999 Wimbledon, Lindsay Davenport was #2 behind Martina Hingis.
But Steffi Graf got the #2 seed because she had a better grass record than Davenport.

Based on that, It's fair to assume that Venus, who was in the last 3 Wimbledon Finals, will be seeded #2 in front of Kim.

Hurley
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:41 AM
Steffi, at that point, was also ranked 3rd, not 4th, and had just won the French Open 2 weeks prior.

anton
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Hurley your point is well taken, but neither Kim nor Justine have any sort of grass record to rival Venus'.

If Venus is not seeded #2, then I think it will be a mistake and we may be left with another boring 6-0, 6-4 final...

SerenaSlam
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:16 PM
and also the fact that none (as in Justine or Kim) has shown any hope against Venus on the grass. Matter of fact Kim hasn't even faced Venus, and Justine took that 1 set off Venus. And that was back in 2001. Justine was supposed to be so much better player as she claimed before their match last year, and i believe she won only 5 games, and was very close to going down 6-3 6-1 even worse than the 6-3 6-2. Venus deserve number 2. She dominates the Grass. Id say even more than Serena cuz serena only been to the final once. I think they will seed Venus number 2. She is more deserving of them to do it, than them to not do it at all.

Frank_Rulez
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:24 PM
If I remember correctly from the past years, that is true for men, but not for the WTA tournament, actually. They pretty much stick to the ranking for the girls, so We'll probably have Serena-Kim-Justine-Venus as the top four seeds. Just as in Paris Serena and Venus could end up on the same half of the draw as well as have a chance to meet in the final only.
got that right brother....:)
there was also another change in the past yrs,
and that's Lisa Raymond............
but as good as Venus is on grass,
i dont see her being seeded 2nd,
tell me what kinda seeding formula
will give Venus extra 1200 points
to seed her in front Kim..........

Hurley
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:43 PM
None.

Venus will not be seeded 2 from a ranking of 4, over the actual #2 and the Roland Garros champion.

azza
Jun 13th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Hope not

lizchris
Jun 13th, 2003, 03:37 AM
Why not? Wasn't Pete Sampras ranked number 33 or 34 last year, but received a number 16 seeding?

I don't think it would be a problem if Venus, who is currently ranked nubmer four and the winner of two Wimbeldons, be seeded number two. Except for Kim, Justine and their fans.

Frank_Rulez
Jun 13th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Why not? Wasn't Pete Sampras ranked number 33 or 34 last year, but received a number 16 seeding?

I don't think it would be a problem if Venus, who is currently ranked nubmer four and the winner of two Wimbeldons, be seeded number two. Except for Kim, Justine and their fans.
but remember.......Pete was seeded in terms of points.....
they added the historic points into the entry ranking....
if they do the same, i dont think Venus will get enough
points to get ahead of Kim C...

Hurley
Jun 13th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Dead wrong, as usual.

He was ranked 16 and seeded 6. And they have a formula for the men favoring previous grass-court prowess, which they do not have for the women.

ajayares
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:10 AM
None.

Venus will not be seeded 2 from a ranking of 4, over the actual #2 and the Roland Garros champion.

Exactly, there is noway that she will be seeded #2, they may seed her #3 at best, but that is pointless since there is No benefit between being seeded #3 and #4.
I expect there to be No change in the seedings from the rankings that appear next Monday.

LucasArg
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:44 AM
Seeds should be

#1 Serena
#2 Venus
#3 Henin Hardenne
#4 Clijsters

;)

anton
Jun 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM
Venus deserves the #2 seed and whoever is not sure about it, Venus crushed Justine both times they played at Wimbledon. First time, 6-0 in the 3rd set. Last year something like 6-3, 6-2. Justine did not have a prayer...

Also Kim normally loses before Bud Collins can wear his flower pants so she definetly does not deserve a high seed. As a matter of fact I think Kim should be seeded no higher than 6 or 7...

matthias
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:02 AM
seeds should be

Serena
Venus
Justine
Amelie
Kim

because Kim sucks on grass

MS
Jun 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM
The will be announced on Tuesday, but I think there will be no surprises...they should follow the rankings...

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:51 PM
seeds should be

Serena
Venus
Justine
Amelie
Kim

because Kim sucks on grass

Lindsay is rank 5 now ahead of Amelie and a former winner and in finals and semis the last time played.

For me it should be:
Serena
Kim
Venus
Justine
Lindsay
Capriati
Amelie
......and so on!!!

ajayares
Jun 13th, 2003, 01:55 PM
The will be announced on Tuesday, but I think there will be no surprises...they should follow the rankings...
Seedings are done Monday, the draw is done Tuesday.

MS
Jun 13th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Seedings are done Monday, the draw is done Tuesday.

I just said because on wimbledon's site (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/bios/seeds.html) it says...:

Seeds will be announced on Tuesday 17th June

ajayares
Jun 13th, 2003, 05:18 PM
I just said because on wimbledon's site (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/bios/seeds.html) it says...:

Seeds will be announced on Tuesday 17th June

I would say that is a mistake, as the seeding have been done late Monday afternoon for years and the Draws are done Tuesday morning from 10.30am local time
I doubt that it would be any different this year, but we shall see ;)

Burberry
Jun 16th, 2003, 03:54 AM
It's coming very soon!! ;)

TheBoiledEgg
Jun 16th, 2003, 04:22 AM
seedings will be announced LATE Monday afternoon (UK time) around 4-5pm
takes the old farts a few hours to think

Draw is Tuesday morning :)

propi
Jun 16th, 2003, 09:31 AM
seedings will be announced LATE Monday afternoon (UK time) around 4-5pm
takes the old farts a few hours to think

Draw is Tuesday morning :)
ARGH!!!!!
i'll be doing an exam but that time!!!:(

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 16th, 2003, 10:55 AM
Draw is ONLY Tuesday ? :( The men's qualifying draw is already up there ....