PDA

View Full Version : Do you rate songs by music or lyrics ?

GoDominiqu
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:20 AM
For me, it's definitely (and nearly only) the music.
One reason is that, when it's an song in English, I don't even get what it is about. ;)

But even at German songs, it's the music, which has to be at least a bit inventive and not too dumb and already known, something which is rare today so I don't rate many songs as 'good'.

veryborednow
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Depends - the tune is important but it depends on the band. Sometimes I really don't enjoy some of Radiohead's tunes, but the lyrics are second to none.

rightous
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:32 AM
Yeah like the queen said its has to be the lyricaa but the music is importnat as well.

Radiohead's lyrics/music is a little depressing on it, I knwo theres sarcasm but somethimes u wish that happiness would come their way!!!!lol

Cersei
Jan 24th, 2002, 02:57 AM
it's a combination i guess.if it gets to me i'll like it :rolleyes: making sence?

anabel
Jan 24th, 2002, 03:13 AM
non spanish songs i always rated them by music as i dont understand the lyrics ;)

carot
Jan 24th, 2002, 03:18 AM
a lil' bit of both i guess, i'm not the kind of person that goes overanalising lyrics but some of them can really touch you so... both lol ;)

marshmellow
Jan 24th, 2002, 05:57 AM
both. but usually more on the music. whenever i hear the song for the first time, i don't really get to listen to the lyrics very well. but if the rhythm was so nice then i'd definitely try and find a copy of it. i usually pay more attention to the lyrics after i've heard it some more times. and sometimes i change my mind about a song i didn't like a first becos the lyrics were pretty good afterall. http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/otn/ptrose.gif

gorecki
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:14 AM
I guess i'd only pay attention to the lyrics if the music/melody attracts me in the first place...

like Sarah McLachlan once said - you need them both side by side coz lyrics without the music often look like bad poetry...

Jordan.
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Yeah,I like the beat!I listen to Shakiras spanish music all the time,even though I dont understand it.http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/kao/otn/pmusic2.gif

marshmellow
Jan 24th, 2002, 09:28 AM
jordan! that's an awfully familiar and kyuuute smiley!

Jordan.
Jan 24th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Hehe!

disposablehero
Jan 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
To me, its too close to call.

The Crow
Jan 24th, 2002, 05:18 PM
The music has to be good, no matter what. If the lyrics are good too, that's a big plus...

Princess Fiona
Jan 24th, 2002, 05:57 PM
It depends. A song means more to me if I can identify with it lyrically. But it's always the hook that "hooks" :rolleyes: me first! Nice topic!

-Sonic-
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM
i can't understand more than half of radiohead's songs Lol.

I'd go with the music more than lyrics

sartrista7
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:47 PM
for a song to be really special, both music and lyrics need to bhe good. I can forgive a song with bad lyrics and good music more easily though - although there aren't all that many songs with great lyrics and music which is so bad that I really can't stand it. But a lot of lyrics in rock by definition can't stand on their own - it's their setting in the music which makes them great lyrics. E.g. REM - look at the lyrics on paper, they're trite crap. When Michael Stipe sings them, they're amazingly profound.
Radiohead - overrated both lyrically and musically, but no slouches in either category.
A lot of the time, songs I like with bad lyrics/good music are pop songs - I mean, no-one can claim that 'Can't Get You Out Of My Head' has great lyrics, but it's a fab tune.

thefreedesigner
Jan 25th, 2002, 01:22 AM
It depends.

'I Want It That Way' by the Backstreet Boys is fundamentally about <i> nothing at all </i> - so much so that it is shocking. Maybe that's not a good example, but often times I can love songs that have shit music and lyrics because they have excellent production.

'....Baby One More Time' by Britney is another classic example of a just above average song, both lyrically and musically, that is just produced to fuck, and sounds all the better for it.

In music that is closest to my heart though, the music that means the most to me has - quite necessarily - just the right combination of both. They're intrinsically linked in most music that is good (OK, OK we won't mention Kraftwerk). Context <i> is </i> everything however. *agrees with sartrista*