PDA

View Full Version : I am now officially a Serena fan!

cooolconchita
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:55 PM
I know its a bit late, but i've been ill recently so here goes...

I sat down to watch Serena - Justine on Tuesday, not really caring who won the match, because I wasn't a big fan of either player.

I just wanted to say that I was pretty disgusted with the crowd's behaviour, and I have found a new level of respect for Serena with the way that she dealt with it all. Justine shouldn't talk about it in press conferences, because she (so far), hasn't experienced all the negative aspects of the game.

I understand that the Belgians wanted to see JuJu win, but surely cheering after a missed first serve is bad FedCup etiquette, let alone behaviour typical of a Grand Slam semi. They've (the Belgian "fans") shot themselves in the foot this time, and I urge everyone going to Wimbledon this year to cheer for Serena all the time - this week she may have lost one of her titles, but I think she has gained something far more rewarding - respect from people like me who were indifferent towards her for so long.

Vamos Serena! :)

RYN
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:58 PM
im cheering for Venus at Wimbledon, but hopefully Serena does well at Wimby!

Playa
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:59 PM
great post coolconchita !!

i lost any respect for henin .

Becool
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:18 PM
:) :)

Nice choice cooolconchita :)

Midnite Surfer
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:26 PM
I know its a bit late, but i've been ill recently so here goes...

I sat down to watch Serena - Justine on Tuesday, not really caring who won the match, because I wasn't a big fan of either player.

I just wanted to say that I was pretty disgusted with the crowd's behaviour, and I have found a new level of respect for Serena with the way that she dealt with it all. Justine shouldn't talk about it in press conferences, because she (so far), hasn't experienced all the negative aspects of the game.

I understand that the Belgians wanted to see JuJu win, but surely cheering after a missed first serve is bad FedCup etiquette, let alone behaviour typical of a Grand Slam semi. They've (the Belgian "fans") shot themselves in the foot this time, and I urge everyone going to Wimbledon this year to cheer for Serena all the time - this week she may have lost one of her titles, but I think she has gained something far more rewarding - respect from people like me who were indifferent towards her for so long.

Vamos Serena! :)

It's so refreshing to hear someone speak of Serena as if she is a human being with actual feelings and not some strange creature who only plays tennis and wears brightly colored clothing.

Great Post.

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:17 PM
:kiss:

Justine is a thief...she stole the 2003 French Open...:mad:

Astro Jetson
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Justine shouldn't talk about it in press conferences, because she (so far), hasn't experienced all the negative aspects of the game.

Excuse me, but Justine was asked about the stupid crowd at her press conference. What should she have done? Not answer. Furthermore, she acknowledged it was "too much".
If Justine would dominate ( ;) ) tennis in the future, she is ready to be booed at by stupid crowds. Like Serena, I think she can play in a bubble and she can put things in perspective after her life story.
And I think it's a bit strange to become a fan of Serena so late. She plays spectacular tennis for a couple of years now. Didn't you notice it?

Cariaoke
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:50 PM
:kiss: wow... more converts! :bounce: this does make me happy. :)

I'm not sure why people thought Serena and Venus were tennis machines. They are so incredibly funny and talented and have a life outside of tennis. If you read past the so-called arrogant statements she makes in her interviews, Serena is funny as hell! I'm in stitches everytime I read her interviews. She even cracked jokes on Thursday after crying, I mean, c'mon...amazing lady right there. I'm waiting for Wimbledon... actually salivating... but I'm looking forward to USO... *rubbing hands together*.

cooolconchita
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM
Thanks guys :wavey:

Maybe its because for the first time in my mind, I actually saw real emotion from Serena and I could feel what she must have been going through.

SJW
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:25 PM
coolconchita that was great :)

i plan to go to Wimby and scream my head off for Serena :cool: im going there to get a reaction from the William camp and then maybe get free tickets or something :cool:;) no seriously, imma holler my heart out for that girl, cos seeing her upset, seeing her cry was heartbreaking. im not much of a crier, but if i see people as strong (emotionally) as Venus (Champs) or Serena (Aus but that was happiness :) or here) cry i let run like a tap

as for Henin....pffffft. whatever is whatever

ps if the crowd was against Henin i dont think she could cope. in fact, i know she wouldnt, cos in atmospheres where the crowd is against her she gets well and truly beaten

lurker
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:27 PM
I have always thought very highly of Serena and she's still my favorite WTA player. As far as Belgians go, I've been indifferent to Justine despite being a rabid Kim fan.

I saw the snippets of post match interviews of Serena and Justine today. I felt really bad for Serena but she's classy and a great gal and I know she'll get over this.

But now I've lost a little respect for Justine. I don't know what else to say, but her lack of acknowledgement of the first serve and the words she used to speak about it in the press conference were, well, disappointing. I don't mean to diss her or hate her or anything, but it's very disappointing.

Habsudovafan
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:31 PM
I lost some respect for Serena. I saw reporters asking her about her los to Justine in Charleston. Serena said she lost but not that Justine won. She simply refused to accept that Justine won. It sounded like " I played bad and that's the only reason she could ever win" Very disrespectful from Serena i thought she was more sportive. I can certainly think these remarks inspired Justine

CanadianBoy21
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Serena is confident. Serena expresses it.
The other 99 players in the top 100 are confident. They DON'T express it.
Serena is arrogant... so is every other athlete.
But Serena has so much more than the other girls, including Venus. She is truly the most competitive person out there, reason for being number 1. What people don't like about Serena is that she makes it look easy, and fans of other players hate her for it. I am certain. It's like Hingis in 97 & 98, beats them, and thinks 'easy stuff'. Fans of other players hate that, they want some respect for their fan. Serena is not playing to give respect, but to kick the **** out of the player. Unfortunately, she started slowly in the semis, and Justine good confident. But Serena fought, and learned and lesson or two. And Wimbledon, oh, how I feel sorry already for the players that play her... She will definitely breee through that slam.
Her serve sucked at French, I'm sure she'll work on it, and blast some ;).

I was happy Jusitne won the FO final, she fully deserved it, and I think her mom is proud of her :)

jojoseph
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:30 PM
I thought it was truly graceful the way she waved when walking off the court, especially after what she had to put up with.