PDA

View Full Version : French Crowd: A thought.

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Justine and many people(hiding behind rose colored glasses) think that they booed Serena due to them really wanting Justine to win Ha ha ha. well they didn't boo her while she played other opponents nor did they cheer her on during ALL of her matches either. We all know they were more "against" Serena than for Justine and tomorrow will prove it.

I don't expect them to Boo Kim tomorrow, do any of you? lmao

I want Kim to win tomorrow...and to think I was rooting for Justine all this time. I just can't cheer her on as I don't believe she EARNED her way there. She did not beat Serena.

outside factors played a HUGE part.

P.s. Serena has won five slams and is only 21 and so she is not in final. whoop dee do. I just don't think Justine deserves to be in the final and frankly this final is a complete FRAUD. Hopefully the right true finalist will prevail and hopefully Justine will EARN her way next year. I will surely be behind her if Vee and Serena should lose early. I was this year as the same for Amelie. May the real winner take home the trophy. Since Serena is not there then that honour shall go to Kim.:)

BasicTennis
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
French & Belgian crowd combined is the worst and most stupid crowd I've ever seen in the entire planet.

Oracene needs to educate these people.:worship:

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Sadly the one who is going to be hurt the most is Justine. She knows in her heart that she didn't EARN her way to the final nor to the crown is she infacts wins it.

BasicTennis
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Although Justine played great in that match, she could have done something to at least stop the crowd, so that her victory could have not been tainted but I guess she wanted really the help of the crowd.:rolleyes:

King Lindsay
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Dawn ... need another tissue? Dry those eyes, huh?

How 'bout you, basictennis? still going with the waterworks? well, don't you worry, Daddy's gonna buy you a lollypop to make you feel all better!

fifiricci
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Justine and many people(hiding behind rose colored glasses) think that they booed Serena due to them really wanting Justine to win Ha ha ha. well they didn't boo her while she played other opponents nor did they cheer her on during ALL of her matches either. We all know they were more "against" Serena than for Justine and tomorrow will prove it.

I don't expect them to Boo Kim tomorrow, do any of you? lmao

I want Kim to win tomorrow...and to think I was rooting for Justine all this time. I just can't cheer her on as I don't believe she EARNED her way there. She did not beat Serena.

outside factors played a HUGE part.

P.s. Serena has won five slams and is only 21 and so she is not in final. whoop dee do. I just don't think Justine deserves to be in the final and frankly this final is a complete FRAUD. Hopefully the right true finalist will prevail and hopefully Justine will EARN her way next year. I will surely be behind her if Vee and Serena should lose early. I was this year as the same for Amelie. May the real winner take home the trophy. Since Serena is not there then that honour shall go to Kim.:)

I havent seen this much bollocks written in such a small space in a long time. Look, SERENA LOST COS SHE DIDNT PLAY WELL ENOUGH TO WIN. Yes the crowd were hostile, but you make it out that this is the first time there has ever been a hostile crowd at any tennis event. PANTS!!

Just get over the fact that Serena lost and today whoever wins will deserve it. Serena doesnt own the French Open title, she lost it and now its someone else's turn.

Get down off the cross and get over it!

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Serena didn't lose today, she played the day before and u are missing my point. Serena lost and she has five slams. I am so not crying. She is no Vee. I am just disapointed in the way Justine made her grandslam final debut. It is fraud.

Serena was cheated against on many calls and Justine does not deserve to win. Contrary to some of your beliefs I have always stated that I wanted Juju to win the French Open. Just not like this... so go Kim win this and Justine better "luck" next year. I was rooting for Justine to beat Kim but my sports mind just won't allow it. I feel Kim deserves to be there where as Justine had help.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Go Rena!?

fresh2flash
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Complaints are for weak.

1jackson2001
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:28 AM
How long will this resentment last?

BasicTennis
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Hey Dawn ... need another tissue? Dry those eyes, huh?

How 'bout you, basictennis? still going with the waterworks? well, don't you worry, Daddy's gonna buy you a lollypop to make you feel all better!
LOL give Lindsay one.hehehe..she needed it more to win another GS title.:worship:

King Lindsay
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
In case you're not up on things, dawn, this isn't Justine's grand slam final debut. Why don't you go read up on this game called "tennis"?

King Lindsay
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:51 AM
LOL give Lindsay one.hehehe..she needed it more to win another GS title.:worship:

What on Earth does that mean? My kingdom to the first man that can make any sense out of that.

anton
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:02 AM
I have yet to see the point where Justine raised up her hand, but from what I hear Justine did something improper.

I am dissapointed with Justine who I had a great deal of respect for. I have a lot of respect for her game and I love her one handed backhand which is one of the most beautiful shot in tennis, but I mist admit I have lost some respect for Justine as a person. If what she did is true, Justine should have allowed Serena a first serve. There is not need to cheat or try to get an unfair advantage. You may get a little ahead but it will catch up with you sooner or later. You dont get too many good places being dishonest.

Justine, I am dissapointd with you.

I really wanted Justine to take Serena to the 3rd set and wanted to see a good match but this is too much!!!

But I think I will root for Justine Saturday anyway because Kim's game is just nonething special for me. Kim is ok but she is not anything exciting for me. I wish Kim would do something or hit an exciting shot Saturday. To be frank Kim is boring. I dont like the way she plays... Her game is like Chris Evert's and so I will root for Justine who is more fun to watch.

Was Kim watching?
Will she hold her hand up? :D

Aussie_Kim
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:17 AM
I say let the best player win ;)
I think the Justine/Serena semi has been blown WAY out of proportion! Okay, I've watch the 1st & 3rd sets of the match & they booed a bit but I remember the Aust. DC team got a horrible reception in Spain, there's nothing you can do about, its just the way it is.
What-ever way you look at it, Justing won, fair & square she was the better player on the day. But, I do think from what I've seen Serena crying at press conference & refusing to shake umps hand that she was showing bad sportsman ship.
However, all that said, I still want Kim to win ;)

Go Kim :worship: :worship:
Put your place in history 1st Belgian to win a grand slam :hearts:

anton
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Serena shook the umpires hand late. This has happened in some other matches. Maybe she had something else on her mind. Who knows?

Also crying how is crying at a press conference "bad sportsmanship"? :rolleyes:

Serens is a girl, not a machine. Girls do cry sometimes. First Serens gets criticized for being too focused in her "serena stare" now she gets critized for crying... She just lost a huge match so I think this is nonething for her to laugh about...

Nicoleke
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:35 AM
French & Belgian crowd combined is the worst and most stupid crowd I've ever seen in the entire planet.

Oracene needs to educate these people.:worship:
:rolleyes: Belgium and France are two great countries, don' t be rude like that it' s really stupid !!!!!

anton
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:40 AM
from what i hear it was some of the "working class" belgians who drove over and were sitting in the "cheap seats" who were rude...

XMan
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:45 AM
It is clear that the crowd-factor was just an excuse, there have always been excuses if Serena lost. This time it is not Serena who searched for the excuse but many of her fans and a part of the American press.

Maybe it's time to see it from an other point of view. For years, the crowd of many tennis matches (unless they are Daviscup or Fedcup matches) seemed to follow the annoying "ethics" of the British crowd of a century ago. It seems that the crowd is not allowed to chose the side of a player, you can but you had to remain quiet. I don't know any soccer match where the press complains when the crowd cheers for a missed penalty for the visitor team. So why should it be a shame when people cheer for an error of a player if it gives the other player a chance. Tennis is not just about the beauty of the game and neither is soccer. Nations, pride, chearing for your favourite, they are all aspects related to any sport. Why should this be impossible for the crowd of a tennis match? I think that the players should learn to deal with it.

SJW
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:49 AM
oh dear lord

GO BABYGIRL :kiss:

go Kim today :bounce:

SJW
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:50 AM
btw i knew the Antwerp crowd find it difficult to behave, but i was always under the impression that the French were classy :angel:

i-girl
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:58 AM
Justine cheated, and should have been disqualified from this tournament. she shamed herself on that court, and so did the french fans. oh, well, Wimby is coming up next, so Serena doesn't have to wait too long to erase this lame tourny, and get back on top where she belongs. (and stop insulting Lindsay! :kiss: I'm sure Lindsay finds Justine's and the crowd's conduct very very sad)

Kiswana
Dawn Marie you make a very good point. Will (the operative word here) the French crowd be just as pro-Henin today as they were on Thursday when she played Serena? They're always a tough crowd as Hingis, Pierce, ASV and Mauresmo can tell you and they have loads of contempt for what they deem as "underhanded" strategy. It will be interesting to see if either Henin or Clijsters does something today to aggravate them.

Jakeev
Dawn baby we must have watched two different matches. Outside that dreaded "hand up" issue, Justine took it to Serena and won the match.

As for the rest of your argument, I think you need to probably get some more sleep or rewatch the match again.

heninrules
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Justine cheated, and should have been disqualified from this tournament. she shamed herself on that court, and so did the french fans.

lol at this post justine should get qualified for lack of sportsmanship. oh no that never happens in tennis especially with all the toilet breaks and injury time outs.

it was only a first serve that was out and it was not as if serena had give justine the point. serena still had a big chance by winning the point on her second serve and its not as if her second serve is bad... its one of the best second serves in the women's game

btw everyone has to give credit to justine as the crowd only got on serena because justine made a lightning start and that made the crowd believe that the invincible serena could be beaten and started cheering for justine. if serena had the start like the one against amelie would you think the crowd would have been as hostile?

i-girl
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:25 PM
yeah, you keep telling yourself what Justine did is just like taking a toilet break. maybe if you repeat it enough times, you might actually believe it. buddy, I'm a Lindsay fan. my girl lost a few days ago, and after that I can't say I cared too much who was going to win. so as a person who wasn't particulary interested in the results of this match before it happened, take my word for it: Justine pulled a NASTY. it's not like a toilet break, it's not like injury time out, it's cheating.

heninrules
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:50 PM
yeah, you keep telling yourself what Justine did is just like taking a toilet break. maybe if you repeat it enough times, you might actually believe it. buddy, I'm a Lindsay fan. my girl lost a few days ago, and after that I can't say I cared too much who was going to win. so as a person who wasn't particulary interested in the results of this match before it happened, take my word for it: Justine pulled a NASTY. it's not like a toilet break, it's not like injury time out, it's cheating.

you're speaking like she commited murder. you're saying she cheated for saying nothing and she should be disqualified for saying nothing http://www.xtratime.com/forums/images/smilies/howler.gif. isn't that abit harsh. it wasn't as if she bribed the umpire or put laxatives into serena's food. this issue is being blown way out of proportion. if it was that serious justine would have been asked about it in her press conference.

i-girl
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:59 PM
no, I don't think I'm being harsh. I think you're a justine fan, and so you're willing to adopt an "it's not so bad, she didn't kill anyone" attitude, which I am unwilling to adopt. no one thinks Justine killed anyone. we do think that she's cheated, and that the fact that she cheated in a way which isn't "putting laxatives in Serena's food" is completly unimportant. she behaved in an utterly unsportsman like manor, and is there for not a worthy winner for this tournament. I'm not sending her to prison, HR, I'm saying if you cheat, you don't deserve to hold a trophy. and if you weren't a devout Henin fan, you'd agree with me.

Schalckske
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:00 PM

Do you actually believe this ?? To say it in your own words: if you repeat it enough, maybe you will...
You complain all the time about justine's "fake cramps", and now you are saying you were neutral :confused:
That is pure BS

tenn_ace
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:02 PM
nuf already... move on. how many threads do you have to make to satisfy your anger??? :rolleyes:

Mercury Rising
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:03 PM
no, I don't think I'm being harsh. I think you're a justine fan, and so you're willing to adopt an "it's not so bad, she didn't kill anyone" attitude, which I am unwilling to adopt. no one thinks Justine killed anyone. we do think that she's cheated, and that the fact that she cheated in a way which isn't "putting laxatives in Serena's food" is completly unimportant. she behaved in an utterly unsportsman like manor, and is there for not a worthy winner for this tournament. I'm not sending her to prison, HR, I'm saying if you cheat, you don't deserve to hold a trophy. and if you weren't a devout Henin fan, you'd agree with me.
ow boohooo lol

Go Justine!!! :kiss:

i-girl
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:08 PM
you guys are so funny. I bet you are under 18. otherwise, you would know that Justine won herself a reputation on that court 2 days ago, that will stick with her for a long, long time. how long was it untill people stopped bringing up Martina's behavior in FO 99? and Martina was only 18 then, still a teenager, and she didn't cheat (an underhanded serve is allowed, and makes for a perfectly legitimate choice of serve), and still people remember it today. Justine is going to end up regreting she behaved the way she did, believe me.

kr003
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM
a lot of frustrated 'baby sis' fans over here
Go Belgian girls !

GoDominique
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Oh Dawn ... two days have passed and you are still talking the same BS. You must really be deeply hurt. :sad:

I hope you will get over it sooner or later.
I wish you ALL THE BEST for your recovery. :kiss:

heninrules
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Justine is going to end up regreting she behaved the way she did, believe me.

Not really maybe you'll remember it but i sure won't and you don't get a reputation from one point ... it wasn't even a point. i think this issue was way over the top the first time i read it from these boards as i watched the match live and i didn't even notice it nor did the commentators. remember the cramping problem that was forgotten justine's rather shrewd comments interviews they were forgotten. it only rears its ugly head from time to time.

no i wouldn't agree with you even if i wasn't a henin fan because if serena or anyone else did the same thing i wouldn't have cared like i don't care about the hand shake serena gave justine cos it was such a small matter in the context of the match

Doc
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Sadly the one who is going to be hurt the most is Justine. She knows in her heart that she didn't EARN her way to the final nor to the crown is she infacts wins it.
Although Justine played great in that match, she could have done something to at least stop the crowd, so that her victory could have not been tainted but I guess she wanted really the help of the crowd.

I can't believe I'm reading some of this stuff! Look guys this is professional sport. In professional sport you have partisan crowds, and this was not by far the worst crowd I've ever seen at a tennis match. I'm the first to agree that there is often racism in some circumstances. But if it did occur here it was a minor part of what was going on.

The crowd plays a part in all sports. You are going to have to play a hostile crowd sometime in all sports, and you have to cope with that and still win. Especially at Roland Garros, the crowd is very volatile, you have to remember that in what you do and how you act. It is not Justine's job to regulate the crowd. Whining that Serena should have won is just silly - and untrue. I've seen women players facing hugely hostile crowds, and feeding off the hostility.

Justine cheated, and should have been disqualified from this tournament. she shamed herself on that court, and so did the french fans. Please! It is not Justine's job to go around giving her opponent three serves per point! I can't see very many people in a tight professional match going up to an umpire and insisting their opponent should be given the benefit of a dubious situation. What happened was less important, matchwise, than the many, many times a ball is called "out" to the benefit of a player who may actually have thought the ball was in, but takes the point anyway. I've seen nearly all the top players do this. Extremely rarely do they go to the umpire and say, "No. That shot was in. I concede the point." Doesn't happen.

Playa
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:48 PM
I second that Dawn,

all these people are a buntch of racists
Serena lost because racist fans and fanatics
decided to boo her every single moves.
there is no question about that.

thanks god i'm living in civilised country .

racism is still alive ***poor serena she was still
crying.

leslie
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Justlying (aka Justine) is a cheat and a liar and no good would become of her. Mark my word. She did not win fair and square she lied and cheat to get that win, if she wins this slam it is tainted and she knows it. How could she live with herself.

King Lindsay
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Justlying (aka Justine) is a cheat and a liar and no good would become of her. Mark my word. She did not win fair and square she lied and cheat to get that win, if she wins this slam it is tainted and she knows it. How could she live with herself.

Wah wah wah. Baby want a bottle? Baby go goo-goo?

Keith
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:39 PM
lol KL.

Get over it, people! How can you blame a loss on one point? Didn't Serena win the point anyway?

PhoenixStorm
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Serena choked that third set away just like Justine choked that second set against kim at last years semis. justine was up like 4 2 with a break point wasn't she? and she choked. Serena was up 4 2 30 love and choked.

in the end the only thing that matters is doing what needs to be done justine did that today.

Martian KC
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Serena felt the same type of a ruthless crowd in Indian Wells, but she still came out a victor. She couldn't do it this time because she either A.choked B. Justine played the bigger points better. The crowd shouldn't be an "excuse" for Serena anymore, since it is the story of her life.

treufreund
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:30 PM
martian KC glad to see that you see through all of this BS. First we are told that Serena's losses are flukes because she was off and that she cannot lose in Grand Slams and then when she does we are supposed to say it is because she was cheated. First we are told that the Williams psyche is impenetrable and that hostile crowds make Serena better and now we are supposed to believe that a crowd that was much less hostile than Indian Wells has caused Serena to lose. Whatever.

starr
Jun 8th, 2003, 12:15 AM
lol KL.

Get over it, people! How can you blame a loss on one point? Didn't Serena win the point anyway?

This is all about myth. A myth has been created on this board that Serena cannot be beaten. If Serena is beaten there must be another explanation. Normally the explanation is that Serena beat herself. But here is a match where that explanation won't hold up. So the myth believers must come up with another explanation or risk having their myth destroyed. Clearly, as we see here, the myth believers have a great deal vested in the myth because of their enormous efforts to shore up the myth in the face of reality.

The reality is that Serena was fading physically. She was edgy and nervous because she knew that. That is why the crowd got to her. Had she been on top of her game, the crowd wouldn't have had the same effect on her. Actually, the crowd quieted the catcalling in the last three games, and there were many shouts of Come on Serena as well as Allez Justine. Serena had the match on her racket and she couldn't close it out. Justine got a lump in her throat, but Serena couldn't take advantage.

Those are the facts. The hand up had nothing NOTHING to do with the outcome. I think Justine knew that she had to have a "take no prisoners" attitude in order to beat Serena. Serena has that same attitude and there is no way that I would think she would have given a bad call back. In fact, the number of players who give a bad call back are few and far between and sadly it is more likely to happen on the men's side. I've seen all the great women take advantage of bad calls. Graf knew Hingis' ball was good. She didn't have to say it was good and she didn't. Navratilova knew Evert's ball was good, but she took her victory anyway. Evert thought Navratilova should be ashamed to win that way, but you know what? She wasn't. She was just dammed glad to be in the final.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 8th, 2003, 12:18 AM
Serena lost cause she didn't play like the champion she is, even when it was obvious justine was getting tight serving for it at 5-4. Hope she learned a painful and valuable lesson. You have no friends on the tennis court.