PDA

View Full Version : US domination of Slams is over

tennisIlove09
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:25 AM
After 10 STRAIGHT American winners, and 14 of last 15 Slams, it's over.

99 WB Davenport
99 US Serena
00 AO Davenport
00 FO Pierce
00 WB Venus
00 US Venus
01 AO Capriati
01 FO Capriati
01 WB Venus
01 US Venus
02 AO Capriati
02 FO Serena
02 WB Serena
02 US Serena
03 AO Serena
03 FO BEL

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:51 AM
GO other countries! haha

BasicTennis
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:52 AM
LOL the American record still looks dominating in that statistics.hehehe:worship:

Tarsius
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:05 AM
I dont know about "domination" but the streak is definitely over.

Jeff
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:14 AM
over until the remaining slams :p

shirley
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Can't believe this is the 1st all European Grand Slam ladies final for 3 years. Just shows how the US dominates

hollywood7172
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:22 AM
its nice to see a change, but i think we need to wait until there are at least 3 consecutive non-american slam winners to say the domination is over right? who knows, serena might just win the next three again.

fifiricci
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Jesus, you Americans are all so hung up on domination!! Who bloody cares for god's sake, so long as the tennis is good?

faboozadoo15
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:41 AM
well... i think everyone wants to see players who grew up near them, who trained in their country, and who play under their flag be better than anyone else. it adds excitement seeing ppl from your country getting to slam finals on a consistent basis. also, i think the american gals "show up" still more consistently than women from other countries, so the tennis WILL be good. i think the belgians getting to the final in "their" biggest tournament is huge. we'll see if the tennis is good. we all know it could get kinda dramatic. hopefully (imo) we won't be able to tell that they are good friends out there, just competitors. ive actually NEVER seens them play an entire match against the other..... and i just noticed that this is getting way off topic... good night.

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Sometimes what appears to be over has only just begun.

Primula
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:47 AM
The USA has a lot more inhabitants, so isn't it normal? But now one og the smallest countries in the world stopped the streak!

I'M PROUD TO BE AL BELGIAN !!

tennisIlove09
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:39 PM
I dont know about "domination" but the streak is definitely over.

if it's not domination, what is it?

Schalckske
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:42 PM
if it's not domination, what is it?

i think tarsius meant that not the domination is over, but the streak is over after RG 2003

Hendouble
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:49 PM
It's going to be interesting to see how the older American women react to this change, however, and whether they can still challenge for Slams. Apart from Davenport's injury problems, let's not forget that both Seles and Capriati were upset in the same tournament by the same young, up-and-coming player, and she wasn't a Belgian. This RG was really a break-out event for the Russians as well as the Belgians, throw them into the mix and it becomes fascinating.

Realistically, at both Wimbledon and the US Open it's still going to be the Williams sisters as the foremost favourites to be in the final and win the title. But the next tier of competitors below them may from now on be composed of both the two Belgians and the horde of young Russian players, as opposed to the older American contingent of Capriati and Davenport.

After all, besides the Williams sisters, there are no young female American players who are approaching the top of the game really, are there? Shaughnessy has been the closest in recent years, and there are of course bright prospects such as Harkleroad, but when you look at the top of the game it's really Williams, Belgium and Russia who are dominating. Plus Mauresmo, of course, who may well have had her best ever year in 2002 with her two GS semis. I hope there's better to come from her, but that quarter-final against Serena showed that she's still afflicted by nerves on the big occasions.

Simplify
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:57 PM
i think tarsius meant that not the domination is over, but the streak is over
Exactly, Schalckske, and that is why at the moment, the title would be more accurate if the word "domination" was replaced with "streak."

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:14 PM
I think if the Europeans are complaining about the US domination of hte Slams, then they relally need to keep their mouths shut. If I am not mistaken, thre was no US winner of a Grand Slam between the 1996 AO and the 1998 USO and prior to the 1996 AO, I don't htink there were that many US female winners of a Grand Slam*. So just because there were only a few European female winners since the 1998 USO, why do some of you sound so defensive.

i heart backhand
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Sometimes what appears to be over has only just begun.

Truer words have never been spoken. To Wimbledon we march!