PDA

View Full Version : Getting started.....

Rtael
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:58 AM
Well I'm 14 now, 15 later this month, and been playing for tennis for maybe 2 years now...just wondering how would I go about starting to play some kind of competitive tennis? Like enetering local junior tournaments, getting a ranking that sort of thing? I'm in the southern US, if that helps, and I dunno if I'm really good enough, but I atleast wanna try to play some kind of tournaments as a comparison to other players and stuff....soooo anyway I'm rmabling :angel:

Just wondering how I would get started playing competitions and stuff?

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:11 AM
I am totally the perfect person to answer u Q!!!!

Ive been playing now for 4 years, im only 16 turning 17 next year! I play national tournaments around Australia! Im going okay for now! Normally im seeded around 10-16 in some tournaments. However this weekend im playing 1 and im seeded #1 for the first time! Im heaps nervous but i should do fine! However in american i heard/seen that the performance of the junoirs over there is at an excellent standard compared to us Aussies and apparently when our training academy comes over to the US later on in the year we are goin to get thrashed by all your top young juniors in orange bowl tournies or whateva!!

I played my first tournament after around 2 years of training it was only a N7 tournie which is medium... but quite hard for after just begining to play real good players!! :) My first match was ataully okay.. i played the number 9 seed in the second round (i had a bye 1st rnd) and i lost
7-6 6-7 6-1.. unfortunately i sucked badly at the end!! i was not fit enough compared to my opponent but i was happy that it was such a good match for my first tournie! He had been playing for about 7 years now and we are practly up to the same standard... hes just got a betta ranking then me atm. But we are good friends!!

It does depend at how good u r... and what sorta tournie you going to enter?? im not 2 sure how the US grade there tournies compared to AUS!! But id say if your confident u maze well go for it!? u can only learn from what happens.. and u will see where u r in comp/tournies... then u can go back and work on whateva went wrong in your matches!!

GO TAKE ON THE US! Goodluck !!! i hope i helped but i doubt i did!

btw, i have to play tomorrow at 8am! HOW EARLY IS THAT! :p :drool: :eek: :worship:

controlfreak
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:32 AM
My advice is, don't worry about how good you are, just make sure you are always pushing yourself to reach the next level. Playing tournaments is a good way of doing that. Even if you are consistently getting thrashed by superior players, you have attained a higher level of tennis than if you had contented yourself with winning easy matches against weak opponents.

I have been playing tennis for 15 years but I hardly ever played any matches. Now I seize every opportunity I get to play a proper match, and I'm loving it. I'll never be a pro but my goal in life is to keep on improving and seek out stronger opponents.

Good luck with your tennis and if you are not already a member of a club then find one near you and join it, because they will be able to help you find matches and tournaments.