PDA

View Full Version : What language does Kim and Justine use to communicate?

rhz
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:36 AM
one speaks dutch, the other one speaks French, do they communicate in English or???

Messenger
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Interesting topic. I used to wonder if Monica Seles would speak to any of the Hungarian players etc. in their language when they played, and also with players like Dokic.

Back to the topic, they're both competent in all three languages but my guess would be Dutch.

Nikola
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Interesting topic. I used to wonder if Monica Seles would speak to any of the Hungarian players etc. in their language when they played, and also with players like Dokic.

Back to the topic, they're both competent in all three languages but my guess would be Dutch.

Monica speaks Hungarian with Hungarian players and Serbian with Dokic :D

Glenn
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:05 AM

Definitely not Dutch.
I think they use English and sometimes a bit of French.
See, in Belgium, most of the Flemish people speak French as their second language but the Walloons don't speak Dutch at all.

Jeff
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:13 AM
interesting

Messenger
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Definitely not Dutch.
I think they use English and sometimes a bit of French.
See, in Belgium, most of the Flemish people speak French as their second language but the Walloons don't speak Dutch at all.

Thanks Glenn. Is it compulsory to learn at least some of it in High School?

Josh
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Thanks Glenn. Is it compulsory to learn at least some of it in High School?

Walloon students have the choice between Dutch, English and German and most of them choose English. French and English are compulsory in Flemish schools and German is optional.

Primula
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM
I had them all: French, English, German! But yeah, I don't think Juju is able to speak Dutch! Wich is a pity! I think it's very sad that the Walloons expect us to know how to speak French, but most of them don't speak or understand dutch at all!

So I definitly think they speak English!

JonBcn
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Perhaps they have a secret language?

Mercury Rising
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Walloon students have the choice between Dutch, English and German and most of them choose English. French and English are compulsory in Flemish schools and German is optional.
They don't even have to learn Dutch? That's shit.

Messenger
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:23 AM
They don't even have to learn Dutch? That's shit.

;)

minboy
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
dutch is compulsory from 10 to 12. In every single school.

then we have the choice between dutch and english( and german ), and most of us choose for dutch, as surprising it may be for you! I remember watching a tv-program somes months ago, and it wa said that for the first time since the new school-organisation was established ( in the seventies ), english became first-choice for second language in 2 out of 5 walloons provinces. Which means than in the 3 others, dutch was still the first choice.

Sure we don't speak dutch as well as flemish speak french, but saying that we don't speak dutch at all is exagerrating.

caramel
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Yeah , they probably use a secret language...like JusKimmish or something like that. ;)

Ashie_87
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:17 AM
methinks French or English cos Kim definately knows french (she gave her speech at RG in 2001 in french) and i dont think Justine is that fluent in Dutch...

heninrules
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Belgian ;) :p :D

...but seriously probably english or french

Nicoleke
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Lucky belgians ;), you' re probably the ones in Europe who speaks a lot of differents languages very well ;).

I seriously think that Justine will speak in french this afternoon, and I think that Kim will speak a little bit in french and in english.

I' ve just read thiw morning on Aol France :

Qui supportez-vous chez les femmes ? ( Who do you want to win the ladies final ? )

74% Justine Henin 5 137
26% Kim Clijsters 1 810
Vote(s) exprimé(s) ( Numbers of voters ) : 6 947

Lindsayfan
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:34 AM
also swiss speak different languages cos they have 3 official languages there.

Come-on-kim
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:35 AM
No!!

We are obliged to study both dutch and english!!

In the first and second year of secundary school, you have to choose between english and dutch (80 % of the students choose dutch) and from 3rd year to the end of the secundary school, the language we haven't chosed in the first year of the secundary, we are obliged to take it!

Nicoleke
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Anyway, Paris is today Belgium' s capitale, speak french ,dutch, or english isn' t really important. All the Belgium will win today :) !!!!!

Messenger
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:39 AM

4 I think :)

NicoMary
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:43 AM
They speak in English, because Kim which come from a specific place does not speak french and Justine don't speak the language spoken by Kim

Kiswana
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:50 AM
They speak in English, because Kim which come from a specific place does not speak french and Justine don't speak the language spoken by Kim

Thank you! It's an interesting question and I'm glad somebody answered it! Two women from the same country with 2 official languages have to communicate in a third to be understood. Sounds somewhat similar to my Chinese friends who speak either Mandarin or Cantonese but not both who rely on English to make up the difference.

Josh
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Actually Kim does speak French, not perfectly but she can make herself understandable. Like someone said, she gave her finalist speech in French in 2001.

irma
Jun 7th, 2003, 10:56 AM
but I heard this week on tv that kim didn't had much attention towards her french lessons in school;)
why when people have succes they always go back to the primary school the person was on:D

Josh
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:00 AM
No!!

We are obliged to study both dutch and english!!

In the first and second year of secundary school, you have to choose between english and dutch (80 % of the students choose dutch) and from 3rd year to the end of the secundary school, the language we haven't chosed in the first year of the secundary, we are obliged to take it!

I don't think that's the case in every school. My niece goes to school in Gembloux and chose Dutch but I'll have to ask her what would have happened if she hadn't chosen it.

I know I already had French class in primary school at age 9 but that's because I went to school in Brussels. I think that in other Flemish schools French class starts from age 11.

Primula
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I had it to from age 9 and I didn't went to school in Brussels!

Doc
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
I was surprised how separate the two communities are in belgium. You go to Bruges or Antwerp and you see hardly anything in French. All the signs, everything are in Flemish. Everyone speaks Flemish. You go to Liege, the reverse! I expected to see everything bilingual. It's like two different countries.

Mercury Rising
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM
I was surprised how separate the two communities are in belgium. You go to Bruges or Antwerp and you see hardly anything in French. All the signs, everything are in Flemish. Everyone speaks Flemish. You go to Liege, the reverse! I expected to see everything bilingual. It's like two different countries.
Well there's also alot bilingual and that costs alot more!

Primula
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:13 PM

I totally disagree! Why can't people see, we are one country, we belong together! It's also Kim's and Justines opinion! It was in the newspapers today: they are proud to be Belgian, just like I am!

RYN
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM
If its english thats sooooooooo weird, haha!!!

GO JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR MY QUEEN ON CLAY!!!!!!

Come-on-kim
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:33 PM
I had Dutch from 1st primary to end secundary

rhz
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:28 PM
kim speaks french well. did u see her speech today?

Dava
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:29 PM
You know when they were younger they used to communicate using sign language.

starr
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:49 PM
They let their rackets do the talking. ;)

DutchieGirl
Jun 8th, 2003, 12:58 AM

lol sorry, but that's funny! Juju competant in Dutch? :eek:

DutchieGirl
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:00 AM
*cough* 4 *cough*

Messenger
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:40 AM
lol sorry, but that's funny! Juju competant in Dutch? :eek:

She speaks it better than I do.

starr
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:43 AM
*cough* 4 *cough*

French, German, Italian and???????

Are you counting Schweizerdeutch as a language?

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:49 AM
Kim's three-language speech was very impressive today! :)

auntie janie
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:51 AM
French, German, Italian and???????

Are you counting Schweizerdeutch as a language?

Romantsch/Romanche is the 4th language in Switzerland, so says my husband!

Messenger
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Romantsch/Romanche is the 4th language in Switzerland, so says my husband!

Your husband is right :)

Actually many more people speak Romanche in Italy where it isn't recognised as an official language.

Brandon85
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:11 AM
what is flemmish? is that just another word for dutch?

Messenger
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Not an easy question to answer I'm afraid ;)

Some say it's the same language, others say it is different. Anyway they tell me that Flemish drama series are subtitled in the Netherlands so that tells me that there are at least quite a few differences.

Brandon85
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:26 AM
thanks for trying...:)

SerialKiller#69
Jun 8th, 2003, 05:17 AM
French,
Irish,
Dutch,
German,
English.