PDA

View Full Version : Les spectateurs francais - A bad rap?

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Booo.....hisss......booooo.....whistle.....

I've seen a zillion posts about the 'horrible' French crowds at Roland Garros. And I personally feel they are getting a terrible rap.

Steffi Graf: 'I've been a lot of places, and played in front of a lot of crowds, but never have I had a crowd quite like this before."

Monica Seles: 'The crowds here in Paris are always so fantastic and I wanna thank you for helping me get through my matches. I promise to come back again next year.' (unfulfilled promise, but not because the crowd).

Hell, even Guga drew a heart on the clay with her racket to thank them and show his love for the crowd.

I guess I just wanted to point out that while they tend to get restless and often times whistle, they are not the gutless, horrible, bullies that everyone is purposing they are. I've personally never been to a live Grand Slam match at Roland Garros, but I have attended the Open Gaz de France event - and I will say, and forever standby my statement that the French (specifically Parisian) crowds are the most knowledgible and appreciative fans of tennis that I have ever had the joyous experience to watch live tennis with on many occasions.

You see, I have also been to a lot of places and seen tennis being played in front of a lot of crowds, but never have I had a crowd quite like them before.

fammmmedspin
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:03 AM
When they like you they really like you (though it takes some likeable quality or match to make them like you like Steffi after FO92)......but if they don't and you challenge line calls and claim lets and walk up to the other end of the court (or they like you and you are French and you play like crap).....

Consistency
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Monica Seles: 'The crowds here in Paris are always so fantastic and I wanna thank you for helping me get through my matches. I promise to come back again next year'

Well, I do remember a couple of years ago at RG during a match with Mauresmo, Monica was being booed for blowing her nose and taking too long( not my opinion) to serve. Makes me wonder when the above statement was made.

I think the Roland Garros crowd is starting to get a reputation like the Little Girl with the Curl....." When she was good she was very good, but when she was bad she was horrid". I'm sure there is nothing more exciting than being at Roland Garros during a final since the crowds are so enthusiastic, but I don't think that excuses boorish behavior like booing because a player is asking for a mark to be checked by the umpire.

I keep hearing how knowledgeable the RG crowds are about Tennis. Wouldn't they know that it's a tennis players right to question a call? Especially on a surface where a questionable call can be checked.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:34 AM
Eh, they can't be any worse than the American twats (the three or so of them in the crowd who just happened to be quite loud, I stress) who booed French players a couple months ago. And yes, it did happen. They booed Escude against Moya for heavens sake. I stress again, that it was a select few, and not the majority :p

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:39 AM
And to clarify a point for another thread... It wasn't ok for American to boo French players simply because 'it wasn't a Grand Slam'. That's not a valid argument, IMO.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:40 AM
And to clarify a point for another thread... It wasn't ok for American to boo French players simply because 'it wasn't a Grand Slam'. That's not a valid argument, IMO.
lmao.. somebody actually tried to use that line? Wow, I give people around here way too much credit by just calling them stupid :p

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Yeah, it's in one of the 834 million 'Justine cheated/Serena was robbed of the title' threads. Actually it's in the Fox New's Bill O'reilly thread, I think.

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:47 AM
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?postid=1991518&postcount=40

Crazy Canuck
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the laugh. Lizchris made my day with that weak defense :p

Midnite Surfer
Jun 12th, 2003, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the laugh. Lizchris made my day with that weak defense :p

Rebecca you have over 16,000 posts. :eek: I believe anyone who has posted over 16,000 times should automatically be removed from the board and forced to seek counseling.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 12th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Lol @ Midnite Surfer

TonyP
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Truth is, if they were nice to you, you love them. If they were not nice, you don't. Sure, Graf loved them. They chanted her name during the entire '99 final. Why wouldn't she love them? They really helped Justine, why wouldn't she like them?

Those not treated quite that well probably have less love in their hearts for French tennis fans. And I love France, but their tennis fans are capable of brutality. (But France did the right thing over Iraq.)

ys
Jun 12th, 2003, 04:12 PM
From Alex Metreveli, Wimbledon finalist, who now works for Russian TV:

Alex Metreveli: The crowd at RG was so Anti-American, it was so open and so aggressive, especially when Williams sisters played, that even I felt uncomfortable. Probably because of Iraq..

griffin
Jun 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Les spectateurs francais: getting a bad rap

Les spectateurs a Roland Garros: deserve a good rap - on the head.

People have been booed by American crowds (in addition to Escude, see also: Venus/Serena @ Indian Wells; Pat Rafter @ USO): This, too, is rude and boorish - but these are also isolated incedents and not behvior you see on a regular basis at these tournaments.

Roland Garros, on the other hand, can be counted to give us at least one booing crowd per tournament it seems. I don't want to hang this on the French, because I've never seen/heard of this happening at the Gaz (they are a partisan and passionate bunch, but they aren't boo-birds to my knowledge), but the crowd at RG can be really crass.