PDA

View Full Version : FOX News' Bill O'Reilly Angry At Treatment of Serena At FO

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:21 AM
For those of you in the US and for those of you around the world who get the Fox News Channel, Bill O'Rreilly had a segment tonight on what the French crowd did to Serena yesterday. He is angry and continuing to ask Americans to stay away from France (his boycott, which I didn't support until now, has worked; many Americans have canceled trips to France and the French have admitted privately that the boycott is hurting French tourism). He also saiid that this type of thing could get dangerous for Americans travelling abroad or participating in sporting tournaments in countries that didn't support our war against Iraq. The Fox correspondent that he was interviewing was disgusted with what he witnessed and he said that in the 20 years he has been covering the French Open, this was the nastiest crowd he has ever seen. O'Reilly thinks most of it has to do with the French not supporting us in the war, but most tennis fans know what the real deal was.

If you want to catch a rerun of the program, it will be on at 11:00PM EDT, 8:00 PDT.

TennisHack
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:22 AM
:rolleyes: Bill O'Reilly is such a fuckwit.

It says a lot about the USA that he's so popular.

Berlin_Calling
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:25 AM
omg, who would cancel a trip to beautiful France because of this guy :rolleyes:

Bella
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:25 AM
He's only popular with the Right. We all have our fair share of assholes.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:28 AM
I would be impressed but considering he's been on an anti-French kick for a while its hard to really believe.

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:32 AM
So, we're supposed to stop French kissing and eating French Fries because Serena lost?....

Brandon85
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:33 AM
i will not participate in such as that. the french did not cheer for justine because they wanted the "american" to lose. they didn't for justine because serena is black. they are huge justine fans in france. there were many belgiums there. SOME americans are so classless. they always want to start trouble. every reason for serena losing to justine was a fabrication. that man loved that it happened to have another reason to hate the french. i wish some americans would act more like french people.

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:33 AM
I would be impressed but considering he's been on an anti-French kick for a while its hard to really believe.

You have to see the entire interview, which I did. He was pretty angry at what he saw was the pettines of the French and that, in his mind, Serena could have been physically harmed by the hostile crwod. He used what happened to her as an example as to why Americans must boycott the French to send a message to them that their ill treatment of American citizens who are guests in their country won't be tolerated.

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
So, we're supposed to stop French kissing and eating French Fries because Serena lost?....

No. He is saying that Americans should stop buying French made products that are exported to the US. French fries were created in Belguim.

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:40 AM
No. He is saying that Americans should stop buying French made products that are exported to the US. French fries were created in Belguim.
So no more berets and Evian then.

BigB08822
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:44 AM
Bill O'Reilly is possibly one of the dumbest idiots on the face of this earth. He knows nill!!!

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:45 AM
An andendum to what I orginally wrote. The FOX reporter also sid that the few Americans who were in the crowd were cheering wildly for Serena, but stopped because the French people who were around them gave them looks are if they were going to hurt these people. I don't know if he was exaggerating, but if what he said was true, then those people were savages, not true fans of tennis.

angele87
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:48 AM
This guy sounds pretty pathetic and childish :rolleyes: Boycott an entire country and it's products because of a tennis crowd? That sounds rather immature to me... what's he going to do next, stick his tongue out at Chirac? *shakes head and walks away*

angele87
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:52 AM
An andendum to what I orginally wrote. The FOX reporter also sid that the few Americans who were in the crowd were cheering wildly for Serena, but stopped because the French people who were around them gave them looks are if they were going to hurt these people. I don't know if he was exaggerating, but if what he said was true, then those people were savages, not true fans of tennis.
I doubt any french fans were looking at American with the idea of hurting them :rolleyes: I've never been to any major sporting events but I can tell you that even in high school sports, I've gone to away games and gotten dirty looks, just as people from other schools surely got dirty looks at our home games... that's just normal, it's part of sports... this guy is obviously trying to make the french population look like a bunch of idotic maniacs who are out to harm Americans which is totally not true :( He fails to mention how the french crowd were bowing down to Andre and other Americans so I highly doubt americans should fear for their safety while in france :rolleyes:

1jackson2001
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:53 AM
The media twists and contorts anything and everything to get their lil tunnel vision points across. Bah!

Tennis Fool
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:54 AM
For those of you in the US and for those of you around the world who get the Fox News Channel, Bill O'Rreilly had a segment tonight on what the French crowd did to Serena yesterday. He is angry and continuing to ask Americans to stay away from France (his boycott, which I didn't support until now, has worked; many Americans have canceled trips to France and the French have admitted privately that the boycott is hurting French tourism). He also saiid that this type of thing could get dangerous for Americans travelling abroad or participating in sporting tournaments in countries that didn't support our war against Iraq. The Fox correspondent that he was interviewing was disgusted with what he witnessed and he said that in the 20 years he has been covering the French Open, this was the nastiest crowd he has ever seen. O'Reilly thinks most of it has to do with the French not supporting us in the war, but most tennis fans know what the real deal was.

If you want to catch a rerun of the program, it will be on at 11:00PM EDT, 8:00 PDT.

You watch the Fox News Channel :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pinkie
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Bill has a few vendettas going. I'm surprised he didn't blame Hillary Clinton or George Clooney for the Serena situation ;)

CC
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:56 AM
I don't really watch his program. I don't like when people are so dismissive and aggressive with their own viewpoint. I made a point before that the American media, while some don't even pay attention to tennis, others like O'Reilly are just using this as an excuse to bash the French for their political stance. Tonight I will watch and see exactly what was up.

LeonHart
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:56 AM
I've never heard of this guy in my life! But what an idiot!

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:57 AM
This guy sounds pretty pathetic and childish :rolleyes: Boycott an entire country and it's products because of a tennis crowd? That sounds rather immature to me... what's he going to do next, stick his tongue out at Chirac? *shakes head and walks away*

I suggest you go back and read my original post. He (O'Reilly) believes that Serena was treated the way she was treated because of the US war vs. Iraq, which France didn't support and because of the nonsupport, and the pathetic way Serena was treated, the Americans should continue to boycott France.

Midnite Surfer
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:58 AM
:rolleyes: Bill O'Reilly is such a fuckwit.

It says a lot about the USA that he's so popular.

That may be true but what, may I ask, does the Roland Garros crowd say abouut the French?

CondiLicious
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:59 AM

They are now American Fries or Freedom Fries. Oooooh and I hear there's going to be a campaign to change the name of French Kissing to Bush kissing...

:angel: ;)

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:01 AM
You watch the Fox News Channel :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sometimes.

BTW, Pinkie, I think Bill is too obsessed with Hillary. And I didn't like what he did to George Clooney.

angele87
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:02 AM
I suggest you go back and read my original post. He (O'Reilly) believes that Serena was treated the way she was treated because of the US war vs. Iraq, which France didn't support and because of the nonsupport, and the pathetic way Serena was treated, the Americans should continue to boycott France.
Well if he's just using this incident to bring up the war, I think that goes back directly to what CC said... if he's not childish, he's definetly stupid because with what you just said and what he said, it seems like he's saying all Americans in France are practically in danger for their lives because Serena was booed which was of course, because of the way... nevermind that the crowd loved all the other American Players :rolleyes:

TennisHack
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:03 AM
That may be true but what, may I ask, does the Roland Garros crowd say abouut the French?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=73372

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:08 AM
Well if he's just using this incident to bring up the war, I think that goes back directly to what CC said... if he's not childish, he's definetly stupid because with what you just said and what he said, it seems like he's saying all Americans in France are practically in danger for their lives because Serena was booed which was of course, because of the way... nevermind that the crowd loved all the other American Players :rolleyes:

That is why I also said that he and the reporter didn't get into what thre real reason why Serena was treated the way she was treated and that was due to time constraints. Hopefully he will get into it sometime next week.

Havok
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:08 AM
what a loser
:rolleyes:

tennischick
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Bill has his own pro-Bush/anti-French agenda that he's been trying desperately to push. he's just using this incident about Serena as far as i am concerned. or at least he's desperately trying to. as if anyone with half a brain would fall for that shit.

no offense to anyone who bought into his crap...:o

angele87
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:11 AM
That is why I also said that he and the reporter didn't get into what thre real reason why Serena was treated the way she was treated and that was due to time constraints. Hopefully he will get into it sometime next week.
If he does get into it next week, I fear he'll only make himself look even stupider than he is now but hey, whatever he wants to do... somebody should really e-mail him or something and tell him about the treatment all the other americans got in Paris before he goes off telling everybody to boycott France :(

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM
2 more thoughts on him....

If he is so against France and wishes for us to boycott them.... why even report on the 'French Open'.

And, if we are to not support anything French, why does he used the name 'French Open'...when 1> it has the word 'French' in it and 2> the proper name is Roland Garros. (The French Tennis Fed even requested last year/2 years ago to ALL media outlets to refer to it as such).

So, I guess skippy boy needs to practice what he's preaching.

:wavey: Au revoir. (Oh, wait I can't say that either).

CC
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM
I put the TV on Fox and Greta Van Susteren's show is on. Her looks have improved dramatically, haven't they?

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:19 AM
I put the TV on Fox and Greta Van Susteren's show is on. Her looks have improved dramatically, haven't they?
Yes, she paid heavily for them, too. I hear she uses a French skin conditioner to keep her new face taught and firm. Hope BO'R doesn't raid her medicine cabinet.

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM

She had a facelift because she was really looking tired.

BTW, if anyone wants to email Bill O'reilly, he can be reached at:

billoreilly@foxnews.com

CC
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Talking about e-mailing him, one time I was passing by his show and I saw him completely dismiss people who wrote in disagreeing with him. He sent one woman a signed copy of his book just because she was praising him.

jenglisbe
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:36 AM
In the 20 years he's been covering the French Open?? Huh? He's a loud-mouth brat with a talk show...when has he ever covered the French Open?

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:49 AM
In the 20 years he's been covering the French Open?? Huh? He's a loud-mouth brat with a talk show...when has he ever covered the French Open?

Go back and read what I posted; Bill O'reilly did not cover the French Open for Fox News. A correspondent who is based in France was covering the French Open.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:52 AM
LOL......Bill O'Reilly is funny to listen to because he's so bad sometimes.

If they talk about my girl, I'm watching :D

switz
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:53 AM
can you take anything seriously that was on the fox news channel? every news corporation news subsidiary says exactly the same thing. of the 175 newspapers that rupert murdoch owns, every single one was pro-war and none featured a negative article about it either.

i was in that crowd and it was awful, but to allow that to give this conservative prick justification for his narrow minded views is ridiculous. is this the guy who says that because the americans saved them in world war two 60 years ago, that the french therefore basically have to give up there sovereignty and agree with every piece of american foreign policy?

what about the treatment of french nationals in america or the holding of prisoners of war for over a year without charge or trial? a lot of americans need to get off their high moral horse, because america is far from utopia.

gourownway
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Ummmm...but it was ok when the crowd in Miami boo-ed the french players??

Please, it will be a cold day in hell before I give ol' billy boy the time of day.

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:03 AM

Please, it will be a cold day in hell before I give ol' billy boy the time of day.

I don't think it was rigt that any French player was booed anywhere in the US when they are our guest, but to compare what happed to a French player at a Tier I tournament to what happened to Serena at a Grand Slam tournament is kind of off target.

jojoseph
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:05 AM
He's only popular with the Right. We all have our fair share of assholes.

I thought he was a liberal and viewed by liberals. He just had a small segment on that very subject.

CC
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Ten minutes into the show and I want to change the channel. His "guts tell him Hillary Clinton is not a fundamentally honest woman." :rolleyes:

tenn_ace
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:17 AM
O'Reily was, is and always will be the biggest idiot on TV... and unfortunately in big country like the US, there is always a bunch idiots who would follow (like those who stopped selling and serving French wine and destroyed what was in stock).... poor poor people

Cariaoke
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:27 AM
OMG, everyone on the Fox News Channel is a conservative. Why would anyone think he was liberal...

Bill is an incredible dumbass... this is the same fucker that complained about Pepsi signing Ludacris to do ads for them because he has 'lewd' songs. Pepsi took his advice and fired Ludacris and then hired the Osbournes, the first family of cursing, to do ads for them. When Ludacris and Russell Simmons threatened to sue, Pepsi gave wads of cash to a charity for underpriveleged kids.

For him to use what happened to Serena as justification of banning French items, is incredibly dumb. If that's the case, all Americans should ban all products coming out of Indian Wells, California. But we'd never ban our own shit. ;) People with agendas will always find a way to take advantage of things that happen in the world. What a sorry excuse for a human.

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:34 AM
OMG, everyone on the Fox News Channel is a conservative. Why would anyone think he was liberal...

Bill is an incredible dumbass... this is the same fucker that complained about Pepsi signing Ludacris to do ads for them because he has 'lewd' songs. Pepsi took his advice and fired Ludacris and then hired the Osbournes, the first family of cursing, to do ads for them. When Ludacris and Russell Simmons threatened to sue, Pepsi gave wads of cash to a charity for underpriveleged kids.

For him to use what happened to Serena as justification of banning French items, is incredibly dumb. If that's the case, all Americans should ban all products coming out of Indian Wells, California. But we'd never ban our own shit. ;) People with agendas will always find a way to take advantage of things that happen in the world. What a sorry excuse for a human.

BTW, I didn't agree with him on the Ludacris situation and the real winner was Ludacris because his is now starring in a movie that could end up being the number oen movie this weekend.

Cariaoke
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:37 AM
BTW, I didn't agree with him on the Ludacris situation and the real winner was Ludacris because his is now starring in a movie that could end up being the number oen movie this weekend.
lizchris, don't make me 'act a fool'! :p ;)

CC
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:40 AM
He summed up by saying about the French, "We were right and they were wrong and that's what always happens." They didn't even care about the tennis at all. There was no discussion of the hand incident, they just kept talking about the crowd harrassing Serena. His correspondent said that was the worse display he has ever seen from a crowd! Can you believe that? Clearly they only cared about the match situation because it suits their own agenda as Cari said.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:10 AM

PLEEEEAAAAASE PEOPLE!!! Get your Facts straight....No French Players were booed in the US! :rolleyes: Jeeze....

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:48 AM
PLEEEEAAAAASE PEOPLE!!! Get your Facts straight....No French Players were booed in the US! :rolleyes: Jeeze....
See: Emilie Loit
See: Nicolas Escude

Yes, French citizens were booed in the USA.

nander
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Please note that on ESPN Latin America, John Alexander (Australian and another guy whose name I cannot recall) mentioned the Serena incident at least twice in under half an hour. They declared that it was disgraceful and commented that she would not have been allowed to get away with throing her racket as coria did in his match..apparently he almost hit/hit a ball girl.

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:02 AM
He did hit a ballgirl, but his intent was to hit the ball as it passed him - kinda of a 'give up' shot. He was not malicious with his toss and immediately apoligized to the girl, the chair, Verkerk, and the crowd. He tried to make ammends by giving the girl his shirt.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:04 AM
I expect that he was equally disgusted at the treatment that Grosjean and Escude recieved from the American crowds a couple months ago.

o0O0o
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Republicans are hideous life-forms. My sister bought me "The O'Reilly Factor" a few months ago and Williams is the most opinionated ass I've ever come accross. Of course the book was all about the evil of Bill Clinton and gay people. Whatever. He can't even think with that caked-on TV make-up leaking to his brain.

And about the French booing thing...it was tame jeers Serena got. She got it for that game. That was it. And she got the jeers again when she bitched Justine out at the net. Deservedly so. The American media is overreacting in search of a controversial news story. I've heard worse booings at high school matches with one spectator.

nander
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:22 AM
He did hit a ballgirl, but his intent was to hit the ball as it passed him - kinda of a 'give up' shot. He was not malicious with his toss and immediately apoligized to the girl, the chair, Verkerk, and the crowd. He tried to make ammends by giving the girl his shirt.

I was not sure and am in no way suggesting that he did anything malicious. The commentator's were pointing out the difference in crowd reaction.

nander
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:26 AM
I expect that he was equally disgusted at the treatment that Grosjean and Escude recieved from the American crowds a couple months ago.

I do not know whether that match was covered by ESPN, Latin America with those commentators or not, so cannot answer your question. I could make up a story if you want and try to suggest what people should think etc. I am not so inclined. I prefer to go with facts.

SerenasMelons
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:34 AM
I don't think it was rigt that any French player was booed anywhere in the US when they are our guest, but to compare what happed to a French player at a Tier I tournament to what happened to Serena at a Grand Slam tournament is kind of off target.
The difference between what happened to the French player (which one was it? I forget) at Miami and what happened with Serena is the crowd's motivation. The French were against Serena not because she is an American and the the America-France situation. But the Americans obviously were. So I think what the Americans did is worse. It is just overlooked because it is on a smaller stage and towards a relatively unknown player to the general public.

vs1
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:36 AM
See: Emilie Loit
See: Nicolas Escude

Yes, French citizens were booed in the USA.

HELLO!! I was AT the Emelie Loit match in Miami. The whole time. Let me just say, the stadium was practically empty! There were no boos. People were mellow and quiet. There weren't that many people there. Whoever said there was booing made it up. I don't think any of the news agencies reported anything about it. Must've been someone on this board spreading rumours! :rolleyes: :mad:

hingis-seles
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:27 AM
The Fox correspondent that he was interviewing was disgusted with what he witnessed and he said that in the 20 years he has been covering the French Open, this was the nastiest crowd he has ever seen.

Clearly, he never covered Roland Garros 1999, sine he's so easily labelled the crowd for this match the "nastiest crowd" he has ever seen.

King Lindsay
Jun 7th, 2003, 08:34 AM

i believe you mean Freedom kissing and Freedom fries.

Amanda
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:01 PM
The US boycott of France is really hurting the French economy. The French travel indusrty even offers round trip tickets for less than $200.00 per person. The hotel/car rental discounts are even more fantastic.

I expected Serena to be treated roughly by the French citizens. I knew they were going to stick it to her at the very end. Way before the boos, many boutiques pulled her designs and designers affiliated with her. The people were already stating "she wasn't welcome". I was not shocked at the treatment of Serena.

BasicTennis
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:31 AM
i will not participate in such as that. the french did not cheer for justine because they wanted the "american" to lose. they didn't for justine because serena is black. they are huge justine fans in france. there were many belgiums there. SOME americans are so classless. they always want to start trouble. every reason for serena losing to justine was a fabrication. that man loved that it happened to have another reason to hate the french. i wish some americans would act more like french people.
the huge justine fans in france that you claimed will be tested when in the future Justine meets Mauresmo at the RG Open. :devil:

French & Belgian crowds have no class at all. :kiss:

Halardfan
Jun 12th, 2003, 09:39 AM
Welcome to the no-spin zone... :wavey:

Serena Williams is far too good a person to need a right-wing nut like Bill to stick up for her...he is a hard-right guy working for a hard-right channel, and is only one step up from Sean Hannity. (Shudder) :eek:

Thats just my own pithy comment. :wavey: