PDA

View Full Version : A New Ace Queen this Grand Slam

Doc
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
In the past four Grand Slams the outright Ace Queen has been Serena, consistently racking up the highest total of Aces in each tournament. This year at RG things are different. Serena is not even in the top 4.

Ace Leader at the moment is Meghann Shaughnessy, whose total comes over only three matches. Barring an Ace Storm from Justine on Saturday, the only person who can overtake Meghann is Kim, who is only two Aces behind the lanky American. The top total in one match is Ace Superstar Alicia Molik with 12.

1 Meghann Shaughnessy USA 21

2 Kim Clijsters BEL 19

3 Magui Serna ESP 18

4 Nadia Petrova RUS 15

5 Serena Williams USA 14

6 Justine Henin-Hardenne BEL 13

7 Alicia Molik AUS 12 (from 1 match!)

8 Magdalena Maleeva BUL 10

8 Venus Williams USA 10

8 Jelena Dokic YUG 10

11 Maria Sanchez Lorenzo ESP 9

12 Barbara Schett AUT 8

12 Jennifer Capriati USA 8

14 Rita Grande ITA 7

14 Maja Matevzic SLO 7

14 Daja Bedanova CZE 7

14 Chanda Rubin USA 7

14 Clarisa Fernandez ARG 7

19 Sophie Lefevre FRA 6

19 Marion Bartoli FRA 6

Veebok
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Go Kim. Reign as the ace queen this Roland Garros. :angel:

Regarding Alicia, she was probably playing a horrible returner. :p

fammmmedspin
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:43 AM
Magui and Maggie! Proof size doesn't matter?

Doc
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Alicia, I think was playing Maggie Maleeva.

However I think these figures show the importance of the serve in Modern tennis - even at RG. The four quarter-finalists are all in the Top Six Acers.

Serena's fall from form on both number of Aces, and service speed, happened at the same time as her first failure in ages to reach a Grand Slam final

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Go Alicia Molik!! Go Kimmy!

joao
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:51 AM
These stat don't mean anything. Of course Kim will have more aces than anybody else. She will have played 7 matches ... while other people in the list wil have played (not even) half ...

Ace queen my a$$

Smart
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:10 AM
Marion and Juzu there! Go girls!!

TatiAnnahølic
Jun 7th, 2003, 09:55 AM
wow Megh :)

Doc
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:03 PM
These stat don't mean anything. Of course Kim will have more aces than anybody else. She will have played 7 matches ... while other people in the list wil have played (not even) half ... er... Kim hasn't played seven matches yet. The final is yet to come! Kim has so far played six matches just like Serena, Justine and Nadia.

Also. if you are playing dominantly, you will play far fewer games per match than someone struggling through long three-setters, with each game going to deuce. Therefore a top player will have less opportunity in each match to score Aces - so the stat roughly balances out.

Its probably possible from the RG stats to produce a stat of Aces served per Set or Game played - but I haven't time for that now!