PDA

View Full Version : Justine's dark side emerges on greatest day

GogoGirl
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:48 PM
Finally and 'nuff said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,6555622%255E12270,00.html

PATRICK SMITH
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
back PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION EMAIL THIS STORY

Justine's dark side emerges on greatest day

June 07, 2003
SPRINGBOK coach Rudolf Straeuli has laid down the law for his nation's tilt at the World Cup. There will be no alcohol to drink, no sex to be had, no mobile phones to answer and no ping to be ponged.

No grog and no hanky panky are standard exclusions. We can understand those stipulations. Mobile phones are a distraction, too. But no ping pong. This man must be deadly serious. It can only be devastating news to the South African squad. Straeuli must be careful. Grown men suffering ping-pong withdrawal can turn reckless in a heart beat.

Straeuli's regime underlines what lengths sports people will go to if they believe they can snatch victory. We have seen other instances of it this week. Didn't like any of them. There is some grave doubt now over how far Chicago Cubs legend Sammy Sosa will push the limits. He has put new meaning into playing a corker.

He asks that we believe his story that he mistakenly used his exhibition bat that is cork-filled so he can clout the ball further. We are thinking that over.

At Roland Garros, Justine Henin-Hardenne discovered how far she will go to win. She might not like what she found. It might not worry her at all. Sadly, it should.

Sport sets an examination that tests all of us from top to bottom. From our head to our heart. Our hands, legs and lungs. Most of the questions are elementary and familiar. We know the answers before they are asked. How hard we will run. How much pain we will tolerate. How hot our lungs must burn before we yield. But there is always one that fundamentally tests your soul.

For the Belgian it came when she trailed 4-2 and 30-0 on Williams' serve in the third set of their semi-final. As Williams began her service action Henin-Hardenne held up her left hand to suggest she was not ready. The Williams serve found the net. The American looked to the umpire expecting her to allow her to replay her first serve.

However, the umpire did not see Henin-Hardenne raise her hand and allowed the fault to stand. At this very moment the Belgian woman was asked sport's most important question. Will you do anything to win? The Belgian's reply was anything and everything.

As Williams rightly discussed the point with the umpire, Henin-Hardenne stood by the baseline. She said nothing, did nothing. She should have indicated to the umpire that she had raised her hand in a bid to stop Williams' serve.

It was her duty but she did not. Winning, and only winning, had consumed her utterly.

Williams remained as composed as she could in the face of such poor sportsmanship. The crowd turned against her even more, booed and jeered, applauded her errors. She lost the match and a chance to win a fifth straight grand slam title.

Henin-Hardenne lost a lot more. Williams shook hands with her opponent after the match. It was as pointed as it was perfunctory. She did not shake hands with the chair umpire.

After the match Williams went to the standard news conference and sobbed as much as she had lobbed. "I was a little disappointed with her. It wasn't the turning point of the match, I should have still won the game, but to start lying and fabricating is not fair," Williams said.

She should not have said that, no matter how angry or provoked she felt. The Williams sisters, Serena and Venus, find the balance of humility in victory and graciousness in defeat difficult to achieve. Williams did praise her opponent.

"She played very well today and probably deserved to win. She was the better player today. But it gets rather annoying if you're not serving well anyway and you miss your first serve and everybody's booing and screaming."

Henin-Hardenne paid her opponent no respect. She's had her chance so many times. Maybe it's time to give someone else a chance. Henin-Hardenne now plays her countrywoman Kim Clijsters in the final. We knew before she beat Williams that she could play tennis. Now we know there is absolutely nothing she will not do to win. We'll be rooting for Little Kim.

As for Sosa, he awaits a penalty for breaching baseball rules that say bats must be wood and nothing else. So far 76 of his bats have been tested and proved legal. So have five bats held in the Hall Of Fame. He may end up with the benefit of the doubt. Not for Henin-Hardenne, though.

back PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION EMAIL THIS STORY

starr
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Does anyone remember that Wimbledon semi-final match between Evert and Navratilova? On match point, Evert hit a ball right by where Navratilova was standing. The ball was in but called out. Navratilova could not have failed to see it, but she accepted the call and jumped for joy. Evert had steam coming out of her ears and was still angry about it in the post match press conference.

So yeah. Players do things they might not ought to do in order to win. The desire to win blinds them. I think Venus and Serena themselves have been rather bad sports in matches as well. There aren't too many that you can count on to give the opponent a break.

Pat Rafter. Stefan Edberg. Maybe there are others, but not many.

Remember the time Jimmy crossed the net and wiped out a mark on the clay that his opponent... McEnroe?..... was arguing about?

o0O0o
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Instead of accepting that Justine kicked a large amount of red clay up Serena's butt, Williams fans look for an excuse for EVERY match. The passive crowd was "horrendous" (oh please, that crowd was TAME) or that Justine "cheated", etc.

Congrats Justine for defeating a well-playing Serena!

tennischick
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:24 PM
terrific article. Justine is tarnished a bit by this IMO.

i wonder what Kim would have done in the situation?

o0O0o
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Kim would have done exactly what Justine did.

Serena ADMITTED to seeing Justine's hand before she served.

Serena ADMITTED to seeing Justine's hand before she served.

She knew not to serve, and tried to pull a quick one on Justine. Or just didn't use her brain. Either way, to ask for another serve after you pulled that stunt is ridiculous.

Serena is the one at fault here.

tennischick
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:35 PM
yes Serena should not have served. if you read my posts you will see that i have admitted in other threads that they are both wrong. Serena should not have served and Justine should have admitted that she had put her hand up. they are BOTH at fault. that is my honest opinion.

spokenword73
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Cheaters never prosper...

sartrista7
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:38 PM
yes Serena should not have served. if you read my posts you will see that i have admitted in other threads that they are both wrong. Serena should not have served and Justine should have admitted that she had put her hand up. they are BOTH at fault. that is my honest opinion.

Probably right... and I'd bet that Justine would have done what Serena did, and Serena would have done what Justine did. 99% of the players out there would have done what Serena and Justine did in their respective situations. Including Kim. And Monica. And all my faves.

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Good article. I will never cheer for Henin again.

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:45 PM
What a load of sanctimonious crap. That's right, Henin has discovered her dark side by holding up her hand. And do you know, I have this funny feeling that even without the controversy in Henin's semifinal, an Australian journalist would probably still be supporting Clijsters in the final for some strange reason!

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Serena would of let her retake her serve. shes done it before in matches (namely vs Jennifer and we know how tight those are)

do what you can to win....but if its called foul, dont cry foul. Justine or her fans IMO have no right to feel hard done by...she still won

its just.....after this and the incidents with Linzi i dont ever see myself liking her. im increasingly starting to find her disrespectful. "let someone else win"? now how long have u been playing sport my dear? ;)

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:48 PM
When she says that, it's not a direct appeal to Serena to give up and stand aside, it's a statement of intent on her own part. That's her way of putting it. Of course she knows that both Serena and Venus have got to be beaten legitimately, and so far she's been the best at doing it out of all the top players.

wongqks
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:50 PM
You guys sound as though Justine just clubbed Serena's ankle or something :rolleyes:

it is wrong on Justine part, but she doesn't need to endure this crap

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Like juju was supposed to know that serena was gonna serve while the crowd was screaming. she looked over and realized that serena was gonna serve even before the crowd stopped and held up her hand. serena DID see it and continued with her motion to serve. she could have decided to miss the ball or let it fall. serena is too coordinated and athletic for me to believe otherwise. but to cut serena some slack I can see how she would just go ahead and serve cuz it is hard to stop. I have done it on bad tosses too but I NEVER ASKED FOR ANOTHER FIRST SERVE!!! and to then call my opponent a liar and fabricator is unfair. Justine was EXTREMELY COMPLIMENTARY of Serena and did not USE THE CHANCE to point out how rude serena was afterwards so why couldn't Serena take the high road.

overall it is an unfortunate incident but I think some people on here and in the press HAVE A VESTED INTEREST in exaggerating this and prolonging this. Think about it.

Cariaoke
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I agree with the article except for one point when the author said Serena shouldn't have said that Justine lied. This article is basically saying that Justine was dishonest. Why is it ok for a writer to say it than the very person it happened to?

Justine is living up to her cold reputation. The comments about the Williamses at last year's Wimby, the comments about Lindsay at AO and her comments yesterday have proven, to me and I'm sure others, that she is classless in defeat and when she wins. She's very disrespectful to American players if you consider those incidents.

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
When she says that, it's not a direct appeal to Serena to give up and stand aside, it's a statement of intent on her own part. That's her way of putting it. Of course she knows that both Serena and Venus have got to be beaten legitimately, and so far she's been the best at doing it out of all the top players.

fair enough i see ur point but if i was just given that quote i would think the worst of her

but you know its hard to hate her more in this situation....especially cos she feels she has done nothing wrong. its like, are you for real? are you that hard nosed? are you that determined to win? are you that ignorant?

no, i dont think less of Justine Henin than i already did :angel:

and i just cant see myself at this present moment in time appreciating her again....

Bella
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
I hate it when journalists write on things they haven't seen or researched. Serena moved quickly back to the umpire after she didn't, initially, shake hands. She smiled and said something to him as she shook his hand. She kept smiling as she went back to her bag. It was graceful. There was only a few seconds delay in shaking his hand.

Put Patrick Smith on the crap-for-a-reporter list.

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Henin has a certain French disdain in her personality, but she always says something different and refreshing in interviews rather than toeing the usual line. I'm quite happy that she speaks her mind.

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I hate it when journalists write on things they haven't seen or researched. Serena moved quickly back to the umpire after she didn't, initially, shake hands. She smiled and said something to him as she shook his hand. She kept smiling as she went back to her bag. It was graceful. There was only a few seconds delay in shaking his hand.

Put Patrick Smith on the crap-for-a-reporter list.

thank u for that i did not know that :)

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Henin has a certain French disdain in her personality, but she always says something different and refreshing in interviews rather than toeing the usual line. I'm quite happy that she speaks her mind.

different yes....refreshing, hmmmmmmm.

and are you happy the Williams speak their mind?

ive tried so hard today not to insult Justine and try to be objective about things and put it in perspective and the rep points ive received prove this. so i think imma just have to hold my tongue here and move on

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:14 PM
But that's what annoys me about the Williams sisters - I can never really tell when they are speaking their mind and when they're putting on an act. Serena's emotions in her interview struck me as false and staged - maybe they weren't, but even if she was genuinely upset it just didn't seem convincing. You never really know what they actually think when they give answers in interviews. Plus they can come up with some rather weird observations - the less said about Serena's attempt at a British accent, the better...

Bella
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:15 PM
Cheaters never prosper...

How are things in never never land?

moon
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:17 PM
the article was right. and that is my problem with the whole situation/Justine. she proved that it doesn't matter to her how she wins, just that she does.

shap_half
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Why did Serena serve, is what I want to know if she did see Justine put her hand up? And why does Serena call Justine a liar when Justine didn't say anything, all she did was shrugg it off. I'm sure that Justine wouldn't have minded having to hit another first serve because she couldn't really do anything about it, should that be the umpires choice.

What if Serena had been able to hit another first serve? Knowing full well that she did hit that serve even after she saw Justine put her hand up?

I personally think that Justine should have recognized her actions, but I still don't feel that Serena should ask for another serve if she knows that Justine's hand was up.

I think people are putting too much negativity on Justine for this. I feel that this is such a miniscule portion of the match that everyone is focusing on. I dont' think Justine had a malignant intent: She's a passive person and I don't think she really even think about it as trying to win the match.

Serena on the otherhand wants to call Justine a liar and that's fine because I guess to Serena, Justine was lying but I don't know if I would call shrugging "lying and fabricating". Regardless, Serena's accusation is understandble but I don't really like her comments about Justine using this tactic to win the match. Serena was playing so poorly in the third set (worse than Justine). Anyhow, I hope we can all just put this behind us and look forward to tomorrow's final.

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:21 PM
that is a good post shap half. I think both players would have done some things differently if they could go back.

is anyone on this board perfect?

Dava
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:23 PM
*yawn*

ys
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:35 PM
It's not about who deserved to win. It's not about Williams. It's about Justine. With her burning desire to win at any cost she clearly went overboard.

I wanted her to win this match. But from now, until she agrees that she was wrong and apologises, her sportsman's reputation and a reputation of a decent person will stay tarnished in my eyes.

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:36 PM
*sleep*

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:38 PM
usually i agree with you ys but I fail to see where you are coming from but I have written way too many posts about this...

c2
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:41 PM
nuff said? Not exactly. This article is one person's opinion, that's all.

vettipooh
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Do We Really Know That The Chair Umpire Did Not See Justine's Hand?

CC
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Awright, I feel like we've beaten upon Justine's integrity enough.

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:45 PM
What strikes me as incredible about all this is that, even though he wasn't much to blame this time, it just happened to be Dias in the chair. No matter where he goes, no matter what he does, controversy follows him like the plague. First the Hewitt-Roddick overrule, then the Henman-Ferreira overrule, then the Kafelnikov-Gaudio DC semi when he called a shot of Gaudio's out on matchpoint for the Argentine, who then lost the match, and now this. It's really quite extraordinary.

ys
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:48 PM
I mean how could there be two opinions about that?

Was Justine wrong? Of course she was..

No one is going to revise the results of the match, no one is saying that by that she stole the match. But she has to admit that she had a moment of bad judgement, and by that admission all that will be left behind.

In tennis people trust each other. Now I were a player playing Justine Henin on clay, I would not trust her to check the mark on her side of the court, because she now has a history of unsportsmanlike and dishonest behavior, which, after all, she refuses to admit. Meaning, she still thinks what she'd done is OK and she will probably do it again, if there will be a chance.

Believe me, for her own good, she has to say that. Everyone saw that, all her peers, no matter how much they wanted her to win, saw that, and she won't be trusted by her fellow players anymore.

treufreund
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:00 AM
her fellow peers may very well think like I do. namely that Serena may have tried to rush juju and then when it did not work wanted another shot at first serve. all juju knows for sure is that serena served despite the receiver not being ready and despite crowd noise. serena did not hold up the ball or make any of the usual gestures to henin before serving. I have seen dozens of matches where the crowd is going crazy and always see the server either wait or hold up the ball to let the opponent now that I am going to serve which is in the spirit of fair play.

from juju's p.o.v. all she knows is that she held up her hand and serena chose to serve. that is not fair to the returner and is against the rules. whether it affected her serve I don't know but she risked it by hitting it. was she hoping to get a cheap point? I don't know and neither does Justine. so maybe maybe JUJU could have given her a second look at a first serve but given the fact serena followed none of the protocol of waiting for the noise to die down and given her negativity in pre-match interviews, the tenseness of the situation and most likely feeling rushed by the server I can see why juju had no comment and refused to confirm or deny. I cannot really see why Serena did not just take responsibility and not ask for another first serve but it all did happen fast so she, like JUJU, probably did not really have time to think. Serena wanted the first serve to help her get the point and juju the second serve to help her so both were selfish in a way I guess. but serena's post match behaviour was going too far. accusations that she made are ones that she cannot prove or backup and she does not give Juju the benefit of the doubt. On the other hand, juju had no criticisms or negativity towards Serena despite the rude handshake and despite serena's comments about the Charleston match.

vettipooh
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:05 AM
We should have known that Justine would do anything to win.We saw the signs at the Aussie open.Faking leg cramps against Lindsay to win.

spokenword73
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:06 AM
How are things in never never land?

It's called karma, or what goes around comes around, ya dig?

ys
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:08 AM
OK, today, every ESPN program starts with discussion of the episode and showing it in slow motion and from all angles. And it is clearly seen that umpire was not looking at Justine, and that the hand was raised at precisely the moment when Serena was about to hit theball. Everyone agrees, that Justine did the wrong thing and Serena had every right to ask for the first serve.

Strangely, with all controversy that always surrounds the sisters, no one ever blamed them in bad sportsmanship. Perhaps, because they always knew that they can always win without it.

jojoseph
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:09 AM
I can not believe what I've heard. I have lost most, if not all, respect for Justine now. People say she didn't lie, but when Serena told the judge that she had held up her finger, Justine should have backed that up. To not do that, is lying in itself, indirectly.

Yes, Justine may have very well won the match, but still, that doesn't excuse that type of behavior. Absolutely horrible.

*JR*
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:28 AM
It may be useful to use a baseball analogy. It's quite common for a batter to step out of the batters box, but it will only be recognized by the home plate umpire if the pitcher hasn't yet started his windup. So had Serena started her serve toss motion yet? If so, Juju couldn't legitimately call "time out" and the fault would stand; if not, the time out would count, resulting in a let, I presume. However, "sportswomanship" is still important because let's say a bee "buzzed" Juju as Serena was in her motion. It would be unfair to make her recieve (unless the ball was already off Serena's racquet, I guess). Technology won't replace trust in that type of situation. Lastly, don't assume Serena following through was seeking a freebie point; the pitcher does not just stop even on a "time out" (to avoid injury); the server shouldn't "stop on a dime" either. (Even the NFL dosen't consider it roughing the passer if the rusher took no more than one step B4 contact after the pass was thrown). I'm sorry I didn't see it in this case.

Pinkie
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:45 AM
It seemed to me Serena had started her service motion when Justine put her hand up. And it might have been the reason why she dumped the ball in the net. Who knows?

Thing is, Justine knows the rules well enough to know (at the moment on the court and today in the press conference) that Serena should have gotten a first serve and that it was going to be her admission that she held up her hand that would give Serena the first serve (since the the ump didn't see it). And, for whatever reason, she chose not to. And it wasn't the right thing to do. But I really don't know why she did it. Maybe she got wrapped up in the moment. But I would have liked to see her say today that Serena should have gotten the first serve.

GoDominique
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:54 AM
That must be one of the most ridiculous pieces of "journalism" I have ever read. :rolleyes:
A lengthy sermon on morality because of one tiny incident which had no relevance at all - pure BS.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:59 AM
We should have known that Justine would do anything to win.We saw the signs at the Aussie open.Faking leg cramps against Lindsay to win.

Justin's unsportmanship has been there since. I have been telling this the whole time after AO vs Lindsay. She will do anything even if it is unfair just to win matches. I may hate the williams for their arrogance and I think they found their match against Justin attitude.

I hope Kim spanks her ass off the court on final then she will know whats the real deal. Anyway, I know justin's day is gonna be over after the clay and short grass season. She has done nothing impressive on hardcourt and she will never will.

1jackson2001
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:11 AM
Instead of accepting that Justine kicked a large amount of red clay up Serena's butt, Williams fans look for an excuse for EVERY match. The passive crowd was "horrendous" (oh please, that crowd was TAME) or that Justine "cheated", etc.

Congrats Justine for defeating a well-playing Serena!

Bullshit! Serena did not play well...and neither did Justine. I've seen much better from both of them! Serena at her best would not struggle to get her first serves in. Justine would not have gagged and double faulted twice while trying to serve the match out. Too many errors from both of them.

starr
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Justine is a tough cookie. She's hardnosed and pugnacious. She works and fights hard for what she wants. She must have laughed when she heard Serena say whatever it was about fighting all her life. Compared to Justine, Serena has had it easy. Justine has had to fight for her tennis life with no support from her family since she was 13 and her mother died.

starr
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Bullshit! Serena did not play well...and neither did Justine. I've seen much better from both of them! Serena at her best would not struggle to get her first serves in. Justine would not have gagged and double faulted twice while trying to serve the match out. Too many errors from both of them.

Your remarks are true for the third set where both players were so nervous they were jumping out of their skins. But it was not true for the first or second sets. Justine played beautifully in the first set. She took Serena out of her game and dictated the play. Serena got it back in the second and Justine dropped off a bit.

tennischick
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
It's not about who deserved to win. It's not about Williams. It's about Justine. With her burning desire to win at any cost she clearly went overboard.

I wanted her to win this match. But from now, until she agrees that she was wrong and apologises, her sportsman's reputation and a reputation of a decent person will stay tarnished in my eyes.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

yes something has definitely been tarnished.

i know that the Sisters have raised the bar -- especially Serena. and i know that Justine worked really really hard to measure up. but she should have seized the opportunity to show the world that she can win fairly, based on her talent and honest efforts.

for a woman who idealises her mother and says that she wants to win RG and dedicate it in her mother's name, i'd like to think that she wouldn't want that particular goal tarnished in any way.

i don't think Serena is blameless -- she should not have served. but Justine...how could you...? i can never root for her again either. actually i hope she loses every fucking match from here on.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Justine is a tough cookie. She's hardnosed and pugnacious. She works and fights hard for what she wants. She must have laughed when she heard Serena say whatever it was about fighting all her life. Compared to Justine, Serena has had it easy. Justine has had to fight for her tennis life with no support from her family since she was 13 and her mother died.

Who cares??? everybody has it own loads to carry!!!! She is a faker, a liar thats all she is. And one of the greatest clay courter this, year if you want some positive about her, lol!!!!!!!

I dont care who plays best tennis and who did not. The mere fact is Justin displays again her dark side.

tennischick
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:20 AM
It seemed to me Serena had started her service motion when Justine put her hand up. And it might have been the reason why she dumped the ball in the net. Who knows?...
i found myself wondering about this as well when i re-watched the tape tonite. too bad Serena did not seize the chance to clarify this in her post-match interview. or perhaps she was too upset for it to occur to her to mention.

*JR*
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:25 AM
I hear (actually I'm starting :devil: ) a rumor that Sammy Sosa sent Juju some corked racquets! :p

shap_half
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Why is Justine already being dubbed as untrustworthy? This amazes me!

Isn't it possible that Justine feels as if Serena is just being volatile towards her. Justine might be looking at this situation and saying, "I raised my hand but she chose to serve anyway. She should be punished for it." And then Justine, when the umpire looked at her, simply shrugged it off: I understood that to be an "I don't care. Do what you have to do as an umpire and make your own decision" shrug. Not an "I don't know what you're talking about" shrug.

Justine is just too passive to make a big deal of this. Maybe she truly felt as if Serena is just being extremely antagonistic towards her and chose to provoke the situation by serving even though Justine's hand was up. And Justine, being the passive lady that she is, didn't feel the need to stretch out the disagreement by arguing about it. She simply shrugged and allowed the umpire to make the decision. Had she admitted, she would then have to defend herself as to why Serena shouldn't be given another shot, because she thinks Serena did it even after having seen Justine's hand go up.

Of course, a case could also be made on behalf of Serena. But I think that this should just be forgotten. I think Justine nor Serena really had any malevolant intentions behind their actions. If Justine truly felt that Serena was just being a bitch by serving with seeing her opponent's hand being up, it would have been unfair to Justine to allow Serena to serve again. This could be looked as a intimidation tactic to scare Justine. Or not. We don't know exactly what was on these people's mind.

Isn't possible that Serena did it on purpose to throw Justine off and ask for another serve and hope she gets it? The only reason we're looking at Justine as the perpetrator is because she won and Serena was ready to crucify her for her mistakes. If Justine had lost, and Serena was given the chance to serve again, Serena's intentions would now be at trial everywhere. And more would have been heard from Justine regarding the situation!

1jackson2001
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:30 AM
I don't think corked rackets would actually help Justine.

SJW
Jun 7th, 2003, 11:42 AM
But that's what annoys me about the Williams sisters - I can never really tell when they are speaking their mind and when they're putting on an act. Serena's emotions in her interview struck me as false and staged - maybe they weren't, but even if she was genuinely upset it just didn't seem convincing. You never really know what they actually think when they give answers in interviews. Plus they can come up with some rather weird observations - the less said about Serena's attempt at a British accent, the better...

they werent falsed/stage i just think the occasion got to her

i liked her attempt at a British accent :p it made me laugh :)

the Williams sisters have always shown the upmost respect for Justine, even tho it seems its JUSTINE who finds it hard to reciprocate. i seriously think this will hurt Justine in the future much more than it seems at the moment. if another incident goes down, say against Kim (for the sake of argument) then it will be the Linzi, the Willies and the Kim fans against her.

in tough times, u show ur true colours and the past 7 or so months we have seen what Justine Henin is really made of. and it seems quite a lot of people dont like it

bis2806
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:05 PM
good article :) thumbs up!

i-girl
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:16 PM
this is a great article, thanks :) .

I absolutly agree with Cariosity, though, Serena was well within her rights to complain about Justine's behavior, if anything, she didn't complain enough. I'm shocked at how people on this board can't see how low Justine has sunk with this behavior, and how, combined with the crowd's behavior, this whole match has become something all true sportsfans would very much like to forget.

Josh
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:24 PM
That must be one of the most ridiculous pieces of "journalism" I have ever read. :rolleyes:
A lengthy sermon on morality because of one tiny incident which had no relevance at all - pure BS.

LOL, I agree completely.

Astro Jetson
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM
That is an australian article so I'm not surprised about the tone! Especially in Australia Kim is much more loved.

heninrules
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:32 PM
to be honest i didnt become a justine fan for her personality but for her play as she does not just play the power game. my fave will always be justine regardless of what her personality is. ffs this is tennis we are watching and i don't really give a crap what their personality is like cos its not as if we have to live with them. but if people play boring tennis (e.g. hewitt imo anyway) i usually dislike them more than if they had a good personality. this is probably because we are not in the position to judge their personality as we only see them for one or two hours on court and maybe another 10 mins in interview. it could be that some players are competitive on the court so they don't want to give anything away but it doesn't mean thats their personality off court. as long as their behaviour is professional its fine with me.

Nemesis
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM
It was not right of Justine to be so passive.

It was not right of Serena calling her a liar and a fabricator. She could've had a fine for it, but luckily she didn't. It was right of her to ask another serve. But Justine didn't say "No, she can't have on". I'm equally disappointed in both ladies: Serena for playing the victim role and Justine for being passive.

But that article was crap. After the Anti-Williams front there's going to be an Anti-Justine front. It's bad for sports to have anti-fans. Look at what influence it has on the crowds: jeering. Be sure that if there is going to be talked about this incident, Justine will be treated equally bad as Serena was in Paris. And we all know that it is below human dignity.

We should all shut up about this case before things get even worse.

tenn_ace
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:07 PM
so, if Justine is so bad (which is bull***), then what do you say about Serena who was given 7 min of so called injury time out in the semis in AO and never protested it?

should have Serena come to the chair umpire then and ask him to give her a code for delay of game???

Amanda
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Justine did what she had to do to win. How unfortunate. I know that the possibility of winning your first GS title is huge, but honesty, dignity and self respect should factor in above that. What happens if she doesn't win the final? She'll be remembered as the cheater that deserved to lose.

tenn_ace
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Justine did what she had to do to win. How unfortunate. I know that the possibility of winning your first GS title is huge, but honesty, dignity and self respect should factor in above that. What happens if she doesn't win the final? She'll be remembered as the cheater that deserved to lose.

blah-blah-blah... by who? you? then enjoy it. :p

Amanda
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:17 PM
tenn_ace---It's apparent that you read none of my previous posts regarding this issue. You really don't know what's going on and you really don't care why the statement was made....you just want to attack because you ASSume it was an attack. :rolleyes:

By the way, What's even more pathetic is the fact that some posters really think that by sending negative IM's or giving me neg rep points is really hurting my feelings...LOL!!!!!! Anyone who is that concerned about web board rep points really needs to get a grip on life. :wavey:

Kart
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:28 PM
I think Justine probably isn't unsporting, but she is desperate to win.

You see it in her eyes and the way she always talks about being smaller and having to make up for it when playing against the top players. It was evident to me the way she kept circling marks against Schnyder and trying to get on with things everytime a call went in her favour.

She had her biggest opportunity at French open this year and when the pressure was on I guess she just couldn't do perhaps what was the right thing.

Maybe she didn't realise what would have been the best course of action because she was so focused on winning in a tight situation or maybe the thought would never have occurred to her even if she had been leading 6-0, 5-0, 40-0 - we don't know.

What's clear to me is that this has poisoned her semi final win, to me anyway. Serena on the other hand, carried herself with the grace of a champion on the court, even if her accusations off it seem rather bitter.

All in all, I can't say I enjoyed the match at all.