PDA

View Full Version : And I still say that the crowd was outrageous

GogoGirl
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:27 PM
And I still say that the crowd was outrageous. I don’t care if Serena had won the match – the crowd’s reactions were uncalled for. I mentioned a few months ago – that I loved the Wimby crowd. For all the talk we’ve heard ova the years about the British having such stiff upper lips – well – I’ll take their etiquette anytime ova some of the tasteless crowds I’ve witnessed ova the last few years.

And for the ones that think it is great that the fans acted out that way – then I suppose you couldn’t put yourselves in Serena’s shoes or anyone else’s that might have been affected by it. How would you feel if it were you? If you say – that you could have taken it because you are an adult, then you are an emotionless creature – or are perpetrating nil emotion to even speak on, and what little you do have – doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. And if you don’t have any emotion/feelings – then to me and in my book – you would have been standing there watching the balls go by. And what about the ones that decided that at this tourney – and at Serena’s expense, is when they want to declare that the fan behavior was appropriate – brought excitement and was a welcomed sight. And some of you were supposedly Serena fans? Not! If you felt that way all along – you should have started a thread about your feelings on the subject before this incident happened. Talk about shame.

It’s just plain common sense, that the fans should shut up before a player serves and what not. It would break anyone’s concentration to have such fools booing and acting like they were back in the cave days. Why in the double hockey sticks do we always hear the judges requesting the crowd to be quiet please – or like in the case of the crowd behavior yesterday – shut the hell up. Not only would that kind of uncouth and callous behavior affect the person being booed – but it can affect their opponent. Case in point – after IW – Kim said it had affected her. For all we know she could have held on to her lead if not for the crowd – and I’m not taking anything away from Serena’s valiant effort in turning the tables on Kim, game wise, and the sorry and hostile crowd. How would that kind of behavior go ova in golf right before a player tees off or hit other shots? Plain ignorant.

You damn right they should come out w/rules governing crowd behavior. Just ask Monica Seles about it. After that IW fiasco – I commented then – that some of those fools had the mentality of a lynch mob. In the news it has been reported here in the states and here lately, the fan behavior, in baseball especially, has just gotten completely out of hand. They reported on three or four incidents just last month on the subject. The fans were attacking coaches and umpires, and all such nonsense at that. They are considering banning the sale of alcohol at baseball stadiums. Is it no wonder that a player would be next? Hopefully, they have metal detectors at these places.

And some of you want to make jokes about it. Yeah – it’s easy to make jokes about a serious subject like this from behind the screen of a computer isn’t it? But if it were you, or someone you cared about – then I’d bet my last dollar that you wouldn’t like or appreciate it. It was wrong when they did it to Martina Hingis, & wrong when they did it to V&S at IW, and it was wrong yesterday. It was wrong yesterday – wrong today and wrong tomorrow IMO. Just plain wrong!

Btw - Justine is really feeling her oats know isn’t she. It is no wonder that I hope Kim beats her in two very quick and efficient sets in the AM.

http://www.nola.com/sportsflash/topstory/index.ssf?/newsflash/get_story.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?s0428_BC_TEN--OnTennis-TeamWil&&sports&sportsflash-topstory

Serena lost to Henin-Hardenne in the semifinals; Venus lost to Vera Zvonareva in the fourth round. Both siblings were booed as they brusquely walked off center court.

Henin-Hardenne was among the first players to say last year that it would be better for tennis if Team Williams' dominance was thwarted. On Friday, she offered this observation:

"Everybody's happy today but the Williams sisters."

How's that for bulletin-board material?

Darop.
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 PM
I totally agree, the public was being cruel with serena,she didnt deserve to be treated like that, and in the press conference she was crying and said " i thought that with a smile they would all stop... :sad: :sad: "

John Inverdale
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:53 PM
And I still say shut up and get over it.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Agreed Gogogirl...I've heard comments like Serena playing professional sports and she should be used to it...She is used to it...how much of this has she endured already...Serena has the resolve that most mortals lack. At Indian Wells she proved her mettle but there is only so much shit a person can take! She is only 21 for goodness sakes!!

I've noticed many of the people who have rebuked Serena are very young themselves and I am sure would crumble at the type of criticism and scrutiny that Serena has had to take.

Serena should be applauded...as for Ms. Henin... :rolleyes:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:20 PM
And I still say shut up and get over it.

You've said it once and nobody cared! And now you are saying it again...Stop saying the same thing over and over again!!!! :rolleyes:

Weren't you the one who was chastising someone (who is not a Williams Fan btw) for being repetitive, Mr. Quality Posts??

I think you need to shut up and get over it!