PDA

View Full Version : Is ESPN Joking?

Serendy Willick
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:27 PM
When Cliff Drysdale said that the Serena-Semifinal match was gonna be shown on Instant Classic, I just about died with laughter, the only laughing I've done since yesterday.

shannon
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Yes, It's true. No joke.

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Callie20
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:32 PM
That was a horrible inconsistent match, why would they make that match an instant classic? :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:36 PM
That was a horrible inconsistent match, why would they make that match an instant classic? :rolleyes:

Becuase they are desperate to show a match where a Williams sister loses. Notice that Venus' 1997 USO semifinal match against Irinia Sprulea (sorry if the spelling is incorrect) isn't on ESPN Classic. Why? Because Venus won.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
If they make that match an instant classic they need to make another label for those who actually HAVE QUALITY. One for shitty matches and one for quality matches.

o0O0o
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:40 PM
LOL @ the Williams fans. They can't even admit that Serena lost playing well. Guess what? She actually managed to stay in long points and played, oh, I don't know, about 9,000 notches above her Charleston level. The early 3rd set was scratchy, but other than that it was delicious tennis.

Serena played well and was beaten. Get over it.

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:45 PM
And your mother knew you were a product of incest but had you anyway...go figure

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:46 PM
lizchris - I have seen the Williams/Spirlea match plenty of times during U.S. Open rain delays and the like. It's definitely viewed as a "classic" and is still shown by network television.

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:48 PM
lizchris - I have seen the Williams/Spirlea match plenty of times during U.S. Open rain delays and the like. It's definitely viewed as a "classic" and is still shown by network television.

So have I (last year, when there was that Sunday rain delay that lasted most of the day), but never on ESPN Classic.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Uh..Serena did not play well! She made too many unforced errors. Justine didn't play that well either. I've seen better from both of them. I only call matches good when the differential between winners and UE's are actually in the positives.

tennischick
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM
gee Toppa. no need to join him in the gutter...:(

it's a classic bec both women played very well. it's just that Justine played better. and yes i preferred this match to any of the Sister-Sister clashes which have generally been error-strewn bash-fests. this was a terrific match -- much better than Kim-Nadia -- and despite the moments of controversy.

tennisIlove09
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:54 PM
I think it was a classic match. Serena hadn't lost at a Slam in 1 1/2 years; The crowd getting involved; The tennis wasn't BAD; Classic Match.

If Jen def. Hingis in Aussie 02 is a classic (and the tennis only became good tennis at 64 40), this is as well.

Spirit
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:24 PM
They're showing it again because they think it will boost their ratings. They're probably right.

The name "Instant Classic" is just what they call that sort of thing. Don't read too much into it.

Remember: there'$ only one thing televi$ion care$ about.

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:57 PM
what happened to the idea that Serena can make all the UE's she wants and still win? not true anymore? of course she makes ue's when she plays a fast player like Justine who brings back a lot of balls with spins, high shots, short low balls and who attacks a lot.

remember that serena is having to do a lot to win points and juju also made a lot of UE's herself.