PDA

View Full Version : What are the French media saying about it all?

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:55 PM
I am really interested to know what the media in France is saying about the crowds, the stopping of play by Justine, etc. Are they at all critical of the French fans and/or Justine?

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:29 PM
I ask because I am wondering if this will have any affect on Justine and the final.

If the French media isn't making a big deal of this, then it doesn't matter. If, however, Justine/the crowd are getting some heat, then I can see it having an affect in one of two ways:
1. It could motivate Justine to prove that she deserved to win and that the crowd didn't win it for her...or
2. It could have a negative effect on Justine if she is getting some criticism for her action (or non-action, as it were)

Veronique
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:34 PM
I haven't read anything from the French Media. Justine is always going to get lots of sympathy because of her life story. But I won't be fooled anymore, she's a meany little girl.

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:58 PM
She is a total b%&*%* and I cant wait till the summer hardcourts...:bounce:

pacatale
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
I read l'Equipe (the sports daily).

They acknowledge the quality of the match and give Justine the praise she deserves for winning an important match in her career.
They do however regret - many times including by Nathalie Tauziat - that this has been tarnished by the very bad crowd behavior and state Serena had done nothing to deserve such a treatment.
About the handraised incident, they blame the umpire for not giving Serena her due first serve but no critics on Justine (or Serena) for that incident.

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:47 PM
pacatale - thanks for the info :)

ex hopman
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:00 PM
well, it is not asked for japanese media... but
I found an article with the title said "serena said 'liar' and accused to justine'...
well, i guess serena didn't really say that...but it was just a title...

and shuzo matsuoka had an article about it too...
he was at the court and saw the whole. he was impressed about serena waving audiences on the way walking back to the locker room even after the audiences booed her. he said serena is a great champion with a great heart even though the loss in the way she was treated during the match could have been a bit bitter. he also mentioned that the french crowds tend to be against the player who claim the calls a lot if she is expected to win... like hingis and graf match?

but other than that, the news talked more about all-belgium final and expectation of kim's both titles. (well, of course, for dubs, she's with ai.)

Mad-About-Venus
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Justine will pay "HARD"....on the summer courts and I look forward to that.

I truly liked her, I really did, but she has lost my respect. I hope Kim walk away with the win.

griffin
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:25 PM
No idea about the French press, but from reading various Mauresmo boards, at least some French FANS are unhappy with the way the crowd acted (and that includes several I know were hoping Serena would lose - either because in one case she's a Juju fan, or because Serena beat Momo).

I know you can't generalize from a sample like that, but fyi...

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:54 PM
I am sad at how many people on this board are attacking Justine but don't seem to look at Serena's responsibility for what happened. She should not have served in the first place, should not have asked for another serve, should have been friendlier and was way overboard in using words like lying and fabrication. that is horrible. justine had nothing nasty to say about serena. even before the match when the press presented juju with all of serena's quotes discrediting juju's win in Charleston Juju still said nothing negative about Serena.

Jakeev
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:13 PM
I am sad at how many people on this board are attacking Justine but don't seem to look at Serena's responsibility for what happened. She should not have served in the first place, should not have asked for another serve, should have been friendlier and was way overboard in using words like lying and fabrication. that is horrible. justine had nothing nasty to say about serena. even before the match when the press presented juju with all of serena's quotes discrediting juju's win in Charleston Juju still said nothing negative about Serena.

Neither party was that innocent that is why both radical Henin and WIlliams fans are so wrong in their comments on this board.

Dava
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:27 PM
Yes I truly believe that in 'hand raising' thing its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

All4Williams
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:47 PM
truefeund,
Are you a tennis player?
I often put up my hand and even scream "wait" and the person serving does not see me until she is actually hitting the ball. When one is serving, you take in the sorroundings and your opponents position and then you concetrate on yourself to get the serve in. In actual fact, I sometimes move slightly to wrong foot the server if you see what I mean.
So Serena did not see Justine's hand until she came to direct the ball which was too late. She had to hit the ball somewhere - into the net. It was never Serena's fault.

jenglisbe
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:40 AM
treufreund - Please watch that point again; Justine puts her hand up during Serena's serve. How could Serena have not served if this didn't happen until she started her serve? That is why Serena should have gotten another 1st serve.