PDA

View Full Version : The Problem With The Williams Sisters Isn't Race; It Is The Other R Word...

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:52 PM
and that is resentment (and jealously). The other players are resentful of Venus and Serena because they generate attention outside of the tennis world and they win. That is the reason why I was annoyed at what Justine said when she said that Serena had her chances and should give others a chance because it was evident to me that she is (in some way) resentful of what Serena has accomplished (carrer Grand Slam in singles, carrer Grand Slam in doubles, two mixed doubles Grand Slam titles and an Olympic gold medal in doubles to go along with her other titles, all at the age of 21). It isn't Serena or Venus' problem that the other players cannot play as good as them, win the titles and be popular outside of the tennis world; it is the other players' problem. When the other women go to a tournament, they have the same opportunity to win as Venus or Serena and some of them beat Serena and Venus and if they can't win, it just means they were not good enough to do it that week. Serena and Venus are not always good enough either, but they don't blame the other players; they just work on what is wrong and go on with their lives. The reason why Kim rose in the rankings is that she knew she had to work on what was wrong with her game and she is reaping the rewards. It shuold also be noted that she has not shown one ounce of resemtment or jealously tworads the sisters and that positive attitude has won her the respect of many of V&S's fans, including myself. The same is true of Chanda, Lindsay amd Monica.

If the other players want to challenge the sisters, they might do themselves some good by working their racquest instead of working their mouths.

Keith
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Let it go, already...

Diya
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:56 PM
"It isn't Serena or Venus' problem that the other players cannot play as good as them,...... "

LOL Look who is going to play the finals at RG :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:57 PM
Let it go, already...

When you people (and your iik) can get over the fact that Serena and Venus lost, then posts like this will stop. Also, do yourself a favor next time, if you don't like a topic, don't read it and don't post replies.

Mr. Man
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:00 PM
"It isn't Serena or Venus' problem that the other players cannot play as good as them,...... "

On clay.

Put Justine v. Serena on hardcourt and see what happends.
Put Vee v. Kim on hardcourt and see what happends.

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:00 PM

Right, bitch and Seren has already won (along with the other majors). Only one of them is walking away a winner tomorrow while the other will still be slamless. You can't say the same for Venus or Serena, so get over it.

BTW, you should be more concerned about you favorite. Another medicore slam and she may be out of the top ten.

Hurley
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM
They did do their talking with their rackets. Neither Venus nor Serena is in the final.

nander
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Isn't it great? Now the finals look as they should. If we are lucky it could continue this way for a long time.

leslie
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Isn't it great? Now the finals look as they should. If we are lucky it could continue this way for a long time.

You racist bastard.

AjdeNate!
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:22 PM
I thought the other 'R' word was going to be 'respect'...

John Inverdale
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I thought the other 'R' word was going to be 'respect'...

sh! I think it took a while to come up with alliterated title. Don't show off by coming up with a better word ;)

nander
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:38 PM
You racist bastard.
;)
I guess I should not be surprised at the reaction because I deliberately set this up. I wrote it so that the statement could be coming from

1. a racist who wants to see the Williams out or
2. one who believes that all the others who are glad to see the Williams out are racist
Ever heard of irony?
And you went for the first option.
It really just goes to show how meaningless these posts are!
:devil:

John Inverdale
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:41 PM
wait. that's the same post, three times.

Thought I was going insane.

nander
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:22 PM
wait. that's the same post, three times.

Thought I was going insane.
Sorry. I fixed it.

kr003
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
People it's just tennis.
Let it go. Juju won the match and she deserved it.
Give the girl credit, there are not many people who
beat 'lil sis' two times in a row.

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:19 PM
When you people (and your iik) can get over the fact that Serena and Venus lost, then posts like this will stop. Also, do yourself a favor next time, if you don't like a topic, don't read it and don't post replies.

What exactly do you mean by "and your ilk"? :confused:

It seems to me that the people who can't get over it are the Cult of Williams.

I don't dislike Venus and Serena, but I must admit to some happiness at seeing another player defeat either of them -- anything that pisses off the Cult of Williams is fine by me! :p
:devil:

Ambrosia
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:50 PM
I can see that SOME fans and players perhaps are resentful of their success but you can't say that about everyone! The thing that bothers me at times is that Williams fans think that Venus and Serena should be immune to such criticisms. I know you feel bad that people resent them (I realize that some of it is really unfair) but people sometimes resent any player that dominates. Ask Steffi, Monica, Martina N and Martina H. Don't take all to heart because no one can ever take away what Venus and Serena have accomplished. If they try to, then they're just bitter and frustrated that their own fave hasn't done as well as your faves.