PDA

View Full Version : People at my tennis club were sympathetic toward Serena

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM
When I was at my tennis club this morning, a group of people - all middle-aged white people - were talking about the match yesterday. All of them expressed sympathy for Serena. They said the crowd was unjust to treat her that way, and they felt it cost Serena the match.

Anyway, I just wanted to open a discussion on what the general reaction seems to be...

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!

omg u wanna light a fuse to a bomb or something?? ;)

im actually grateful that a whole lot of Henin fans sympathise with her :) it means a lot to me that they are big enough to admit when things get out of hand :)

mishar
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:25 PM
One interesting thing about this match is it created a lot of sympathy for Serena here in the U.S. The vulnerability of a champion is very interesting to a lot of people. It's harder to root for someone who never loses. I think Serena and Venus are going to become more popular now that they're struggling a little.

Nemesis
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:39 PM
I have gotten a lot of sympathy for Serena too.

Hostile crowds are as dumb a hell. A player, whether she is the best or the worst, deserves some respect. That's why I hate Fed Cup matches and also when a Belgian plays the Diamond Games (semi-)final (only Patty's yell "SCHEISSE" was wonderful ;) ). The crowd gets so overly enthousiatic and disrespects the opponent, that I begin to be ashame to be a Belgian. And this happens on the biggest day in Belgian history ever.

Anyway, Serena was right and I am very sorry for her that she hasn't had these kind of crowds behind her yet in her life. It's sad that they exist, but because they exist, every player should have had one behind HER already. But they should tone down a bit. Booing is out of the question.

I hope the USA now sees that they should support all their players 100%, no matter if they like Capriati or Seles more than the Williamses. They have an opportunity in the Fed Cup.

The Crow
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Totally agree with you Nemesis.

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Nemsis - True; my other thing is that it's one thing to support one player, and it's another to boo the other player. Cheering for Justine was fine and dandy, but when you start booing because a player misses a serve or a shot, that's crossing the line.

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Oh - anyone know what the papers in France are saying about the match? What is the media there saying about the crowds?

Diya
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:47 PM
So Serena's ' stunt ' did get her what she wanted ....sympathy ......but then She would have rather liked to have the RG '03 trophy than all this sympathy.

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I have gotten a lot of sympathy for Serena too.

Hostile crowds are as dumb a hell. A player, whether she is the best or the worst, deserves some respect. That's why I hate Fed Cup matches and also when a Belgian plays the Diamond Games (semi-)final (only Patty's yell "SCHEISSE" was wonderful ;) ). The crowd gets so overly enthousiatic and disrespects the opponent, that I begin to be ashame to be a Belgian. And this happens on the biggest day in Belgian history ever.

Anyway, Serena was right and I am very sorry for her that she hasn't had these kind of crowds behind her yet in her life. It's sad that they exist, but because they exist, every player should have had one behind HER already. But they should tone down a bit. Booing is out of the question.

I hope the USA now sees that they should support all their players 100%, no matter if they like Capriati or Seles more than the Williamses. They have an opportunity in the Fed Cup.

class down to the last full stop :worship:

Mrs. Peel
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:59 PM
So Serena's ' stunt ' did get her what she wanted ....sympathy ......but then She would have rather liked to have the RG '03 trophy than all this sympathy.

Now you are being obnoxious and hateful...

Vincent
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:10 PM
The crowd never know how much pressure they could put on a player, the boo after shaking hands was terrible. Why the tennis fans become so cheap and annoying?

BigTennisFan
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:13 PM

I'm sure that she would have liked the RG trophy. But she'll just have to make do with the 5 GS trophies that she already has. I strongly suspect that despite the denial of some :o , both she and Venus will hoist some more GS trophies in the near future. :)

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Now you are being obnoxious and hateful...

plz stop quoting her, it disables the idea of me not being able to read ANY of her posts due to the ignore feature :p

Mrs. Peel
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
plz stop quoting her, it disables the idea of me not being able to read ANY of her posts due to the ignore feature :p

LOL!!!! I'm sorry...I have that ass on ignore too! I'll never do it again! :wavey:

I'm interested in knowing what the French newspapers are saying!

vs1
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Yes, I think that the Serena experience yesterday has dramatically increased her sympathy quotient all around. The other guys on my tennis team had heard that she got hassled a lot and that's why she lost her match and they were like, "Whoa. That's uncool." They don't follow women's tennis that much, but the sentiment was, "I hope she kicks butt the rest of the season!" They generally don't have any cheers one way or another, so it demonstrated to me that they now have a tender view of Serena to succeed. Of course, my experience is with a small slice of people in the world. However, I think that her sympathy quotient HAS increased.

GO BABYGIRL!! :hearts:

ans
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:23 PM
In Belgian newspapers there is a whole article about how badly the audience reacted and about Oracene they're writing this:

"Oracane Price, before her divorce known as Oracene Williams, kept on applauding beautiful points from Henin until deep into the third set. There was more diginity in the eccentric mother of Serena than in a whole lot of the 15 000 spectators on Court Central."

Furthermore it says that tennis journalists from all over the world were shocked by the audience's behaviour.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:28 PM
I got this from the sports page from Le Monde...it is one of the only parts of the article that addresses the crowds behaviour in a sort of half-assed way...

http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3242--323008-,00.html

A l'instar de l'Allemand Michael Schumacher en formule 1, dont la suprématie fascine autant qu'elle agace, Serena Williams génère une attention ambivalente depuis qu'elle domine outrageusement le tennis féminin. Lassés d'assister à un festival de certitudes, beaucoup se réjouissent du moindre faux pas. Ceux qui se délectent du spectacle offert par l'outsider défiant la dominatrice de l'heure étaient très majoritaires ce jeudi, à Roland-Garros. "C'était un public difficile aujourd'hui. Très difficile. Mais c'est l'histoire de ma vie, regrettait Serena Williams, avant d'essuyer une larme, dans un geste non dénué de théâtralité, un petit sac à main rose posé sur les genoux. Toute ma vie, il a fallu que je me batte, et c'est une nouvelle bataille qu'il va falloir que j'apprenne à gagner."

Maybe someone feels like translating... :wavey:

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Following the example of the German Michael Schumacher some formula 1, of which supremacy fascinates as much as she annoys, Serena Williams generates an ambivalent attention since that she outrageously dominates (?) the feminine (female) tennis. Wearied to attend a festival of certainties, a lot rejoice at the least false step. Those that enjoy spectacle offered by the outsider challenging the domineering one were (in) [very] majority this Thursday, to roland-garros. "It was a difficult public today. Very difficult. But this is the history of my life, regretted Serena Williams, before wiping a tear, in a non lacking gesture of théâtralité, a small bag to pink hand put on the knees. All my life, it was necessary (for) me to fight, and this is a new battle that i must learn to win."

The Crow
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:33 PM
But then again, Oracene rocks! :bounce: :D