PDA

View Full Version : Why was Venus booed after her match with Vera?

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:35 PM
I was just reading Serena's post match interview and one of the reporters mentioned to her that Venus was booed. Did anyone see that?

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Bored are we?

Unhappy with things returning to some sort of sanity on the board?

Wanna play the Victim/Race card again?

*Yawn*

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Well, if she *was* booed it's deplorable crowd behaviour.

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:58 PM
I'm only asking a question based on what I read. You're the one bringing race into it. You didn't have to respond.

Diya
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Oh she was booed ? I didn't know that

TonyP
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Apparently because she walked off the court, brushing past the French TV commentator who tried to interview her. I personally don't think anyone should have to do an interview, but the fans thought Venus was ducking the interview.

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Thank you TonyP.

Underdog
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Venus was clearly upset and gathered her belongings and walked straight off the court. A reporter or someone who wanted to interview her or someone from the tournament or someone from the WTA tried to ask her something and she walked right past them. She clearly didn't want to be bothered by anyone at that moment. And, I'm not a Venus fan, but who can blame her.

Gus
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Hi guys,
I was there, and people actually booed her because she refused to answer the questions of French journalist Nelson Montfort...
I know the crowd was a bit harsh but:
1. Parisians were sick and tired of Williams finals in Grand Slams.
2. Parisians didn t like Amelie-melo's humiliation on Sunday.
3. Parisians once suspected Richie to have decided before last year's final who woulod win between Rena and Vee.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE - one of our best player is black (Stephanie) as well as of one of our best Junior player (Charlene).

PhoenixStorm
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Hi guys,
I was there, and people actually booed her because she refused to answer the questions of French journalist Nelson Montfort...
I know the crowd was a bit harsh but:
1. Parisians were sick and tired of Williams finals in Grand Slams.
2. Parisians didn t like Amelie-melo's humiliation on Sunday.
3. Parisians once suspected Richie to have decided before last year's final who woulod win between Rena and Vee.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE - one of our best player is black (Stephanie) as well as of one of our best Junior player (Charlene).
so it has everything to do with french igorance and bias right?

1. they sure werent sick and tired of multiple chris and martina finals to act like asses.

2. the french crowd humilated amelie by putting too much pressure on her once again.

3. suspected based on what? is there some evidence? sounds like biased crap to me. unfounded accusations are the lowest form of behavior ever. its just nasty.

I'm glad they haven't had a french champion in decades. And no mary certainly doesn't count imo nor in theirs from the way they act towards her.

barmaid
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Well, the French fans are a tough crowd.....there are always "classless" fans in every event...the fact that Venus got a few "boos" was just a rude bunch of people voicing their dislike for one of the Williams' sisters...they do NOT have an especially high popularity ranking as most think! too bad though.... :eek: But they have to live with it! ;)

barmaid :wavey:

TonyP
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:22 PM
I personally think having to do an immediate interview is not right, but it happens everywhere, not just at Roland Garros. I think the press have too much power over tennis and over sports in general.