PDA

View Full Version : London will be a love fest for Serena...

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:08 PM
The crowds at Wimbledon will welcome Serena with big hearts and even bigger cheers due to the actions of their much hated neighbors. Given the close political ties between the British and Americans, I think it will be a love fest for Serena at the premier grass court event...:kiss:

I love ya Brits...(in part too cause my granny lives there)...:D

fifiricci
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM
I think you are being a tad optimistic!! I am British and even though we were allies in the Iraq war, there is still a strong element of Anti American feeling in the UK. That said, I dont think that will be evident in the Wimbledon crowd and I think Serena will get a very warm and sympathetic welcome when she goes on Centre Court on the first day, at least.

I still maintain though that the vast majority of the crowds arent motivated by race or politics - they simply want to see different grand slam winners for a change and thats why they cheer for the opponents of the williams sisters.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:14 PM
I just spoke to the Brits and because they think you are a bigger jack ass then I do, they are going to root against Serena in every match :kiss:

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I just spoke to the Brits and because they think you are a bigger jack ass then I do, they are going to root against Serena in every match :kiss:

And I just spoke to the French and they said that Justine is a thief and she will NEVER win a grand slam and she will be blasted to dust during the summer hard courts...enjoy for now cause she is DONE for the season... :wavey:

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:22 PM
And I just spoke to the French and they said that Justine is a thief and she will NEVER win a grand slam and she will be blasted to dust during the summer hard courts...enjoy for now cause she is DONE for the season... :wavey:

What do I care?, I am hoping for Kim to win the french :)

(You would of known that if you knew anything about me instead of jumping to the first available conclusion) :)

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:25 PM
haha.....you're all nuts

rikvanlooy
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:28 PM
I think you are being a tad optimistic!! I am British and even though we were allies in the Iraq war, there is still a strong element of Anti American feeling in the UK. That said, I dont think that will be evident in the Wimbledon crowd and I think Serena will get a very warm and sympathetic welcome when she goes on Centre Court on the first day, at least.

I still maintain though that the vast majority of the crowds arent motivated by race or politics - they simply want to see different grand slam winners for a change and thats why they cheer for the opponents of the williams sisters.

The BBC doesn't seem to show a lot of women's tennis ?!

Pdm1987
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Even if the BBC don't show as much womens tennis as mens, the if you have Sky Digital ( which I don't :sad: ) then you can choose which court you watch on BBCi :)
Also, the British crowd will much much warmer to Serena although I'm sure many will want someone else to win for a change other than the Williams sisters ;) But it'll be nothing like the french! :D

debs06
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
dey will b cheerin for jen 2 win dis 1!

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:53 PM
the British crowd always give sporting excellence its rightful dues

i have always thought the French crowd were extremely tasteful bar a few occasions (ie Martina 99) now i think they are tasteless

but then again, there were an awful lot of belgians in the crowd, and Antwerp proved they love to get rowdy

bring on the next slam :) ill be there :)

Diya
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM
Yeah it sure will be ;)

Serena will probably lose her # 1 ranking at Wimbledon

Cam'ron Giles
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:37 PM
To whome???????

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Justine of course ;)

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:37 PM
It is wishful thinking to believe that Serena will lose her number one ranking at Wimbeldon. Though she isn't in the FO final, some thought she would lose her numer one raking here. She will at least lose 300 points because she beat the number one and two players at the time. Even with the loss, Kim woudl have to win the FO to close the number one gap and she would have to do very well at Wimbeldon and if past history is any indication, she will not win, since her best result is the quarterfinal. She is to grass as Serena is to clay.

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Serena won the clay slam :p

shes actually quite good on clay :( shes just excellent on everything else :cool:

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
btw.....she didnt beat the number two last year

Jennifer was beaten by Momo :)

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:10 PM
Hang on a minute there. We and the French may have an honourable tradition of mutual hatred, but that doesn't mean we're going to be lapping up Serena's appearances at Wimbledon gratefully. The Centre Court crowd were as dismayed by last year's final as the RG crowd were that year. I mean, the umpire called a let on Serena's apparent ace on setpoint in the first set, and both sisters just ignored it and walked to their chairs! When they get away with treating the officials like a joke, it's no wonder people lose respect for them.

Dava
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I dont think the British are the biggest fans of the Yanks of the momment, in fact if it was not for idoit Blair we probably would have let the US get on with it.

Also I think we are more likely to cheer for the underdog. It wont get nasty like in Paris, but the crowds probably wont cheer for Serena.

Monica_Rules
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:23 PM
The main diference is though the british crowds will be supportive if serena hits winners and will appreciate her good tennis if she wins!

Hendouble
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:39 PM
The bottom line is, I don't think we Brits have the vociferous quality that the French have patented to perfect effect. We can be enthusiastic and vocal, but sometimes we just seem naive and ignorant of what's going on, as opposed to that particular streak of baying viciousness that the French have made into an art form.