PDA

View Full Version : Justine's Serve

moby
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM
I was very impressed by Justine's serve yesterday (for abt 1 and a half sets). When she ended the day, her avg 1st serve speed was like 102mph.

Has any player had such stats before? it is very amazing.

If Justine can serve like that at wimbledon, and if she chooses to come in more, she can be a real contender.

per4ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I was very impressed too..she definitly knows when she needs to hit those first serves

The Crow
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:10 PM
I was very impressed too..she definitly knows when she needs to hit those first serves
Maybe you could tell her that 5-4 in the third set is a great moment too to hit some big first serves ;)

moby
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:11 PM
i think she was saving them up for 6-5 ;)

Hagar
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Maybe you could tell her that 5-4 in the third set is a great moment too to hit some big first serves ;)

Justine was afraid the match could become too boring and the spectators would fall asleep. :p

Martian KC
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:42 PM
I was impressed by the ace she hit to win the 1st set.

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:50 PM
lmao

worship@verkerk

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:51 PM
oops I am in the wrong thread;)

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
She does get some zip to it....wonder why Martina couldn't.....seriously...i'm not trying to bash. I only compare b/c they are both smaller than the avg player?

rikvanlooy
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:03 PM
I was very impressed by Justine's serve yesterday (for abt 1 and a half sets). When she ended the day, her avg 1st serve speed was like 102mph.

Has any player had such stats before? it is very amazing.

If Justine can serve like that at wimbledon, and if she chooses to come in more, she can be a real contender.

she can be a real contender

She reached the final 2 years ago and last she reached the semi final.

This year she has improved a lot. She is number three and she is number two at the Race to the Championship (or number one if she wins Rg).

So, yes, you're right. She might be a contender for Wimbleon. :rolleyes:

moby
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:53 PM
well the reason why i said she might be a real contender was because wimbledon's on grass and NOT clay.

In the past two years, Justine hasnt had much trouble from the lower ranked players, but the minute she ran into Venus she was blown off the court. The fast surface doesnt really give justine as much time to prepare for her groundstrokes. At the same time, while she had a pretty good serve, it wasnt enuff for her to get to net all the time.

There's no question that Justine can hold her own on grass but against venus and serena especially she's got to come in more cause there's no way she can match them off the ground on grass. And it would help her serve-and-volleying (something which i dont think justine should just be using sparingly on grass. i.e. she should be serve and volleying off every point if possible with her volleys) if she can serve at the level she's been serving.