PDA

View Full Version : Okay, aside from Serena and Martina H...

SerialKiller#69
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:42 AM
who else in WTA and ATP had a hard time with the French crowd? Are Martina and Serena the only players who cried about the treatment they got?

Thanks. I want to know. :wavey:

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:44 AM
in 92 the crowd screamed steffi, steffi, steffi all the way too but I don't think they actually boohed monica. they just wanted steffi to win!

mary pierce had a hard time with them too till she won :rolleyes:

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Martina Navratilova and Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario spring immediately to mind. over several years each as well

Greenout
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:48 AM
Mary Pierce use to always get booed.
It was practically an annual event. All the
articles every year was about how the
French just can't get it in their hearts to
like Mary.

They learned to love her after she looked to
be a contender during her amazing win
back in 2000.

wongqks
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Arantxa in one of teh 1995 or 1996 French Open final against Steffi. She was reduced to tears as well

King Lindsay
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:49 AM
When Arantxa beat Habsudova 10-8 in the third in the QF of the 1996 French, she raised her arms in triumph and the crowd showered her in boos. Priceless.

Philbo
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
I felt so sorry for Arantxa that day, when she said in the interview afterward "maybe next yeat you will cheer for me" really broke me up!!

Martina copped it from them, but cant remembr if it ever got to booring etc, it would just be the usual silence when Martina hit an incredible winner agaisnt Chris...

But I found arantxa's treatment more unfair - they booed her for doing moonballs etc - playing her game, that sux bigtime.

wave
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
Well they were kind of nasty to Arantxa in that hard fought quaterfinal against Habsudova which she won 10:8 in the final set. In her speech after the win she said something like that she was disappointed with the crowd but that they would be going to love her sometime.

Then they destroyed Leconte in his final against Wilander. Even Wilander was surprised by the lack of back-up by the French crowd for their country-man.

They were also extremely unfriendly to Mauresmo during her first round loss two years ago...

So Serena and Martina were not the only ones, but Martina's was probably the worst case.

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:52 AM
they started already before when she started to moonball!

steffi didn't get much support in 93 and 94 either but they did not booh her. in 95 they loved her again.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I felt so sorry for Arantxa that day, when she said in the interview afterward "maybe next yeat you will cheer for me" really broke me up!!

Martina copped it from them, but cant remembr if it ever got to booring etc, it would just be the usual silence when Martina hit an incredible winner agaisnt Chris...

But I found arantxa's treatment more unfair - they booed her for doing moonballs etc - playing her game, that sux bigtime.

oh my god. i feel really sorry for arantxa. just for my own consolation, did she have at least a better treatment from the French crowd some time in her career? :sad:

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:04 AM
I think they loved her in 89!

propi
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:05 AM
ASV in 96 final after beatinb Habsudova in 1/4....
I remember so well that, here in Spain people thought that if they booed a Spanish girls who had been twice champion there, then there was no way any Spanish player would be loved or cheered by Parisian public in RG

wave
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Not sure if you need it for your consolation, but:

She won the French crowd after the final against Monica in 1998 which she won and the said something like "I feel very bad that I have won against you, Monica". (The two players are friends, and that was right after Monica's father had died).

I think she also had some fair treatments during her finals with Steffi. The crowd enjoyed her fighting for every ball.

Gallofa
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:06 AM
They couldn't stand Arantxa. She was booed constantly. From her early years till the bitter end...

And not just in the latest stages of the tournament either. I remember siting at her 2nd round match against Sonya Jeyaseelan in 2000 in Suzanne Lenglen with the whole stadium booing her.

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:07 AM
ASV in 96 final after beatinb Habsudova in 1/4....
I remember so well that, here in Spain people thought that if they booed a Spanish girls who had been twice champion there, then there was no way any Spanish player would be loved or cheered by Parisian public in RG

magui serena. I think 98
the worst boohing I ever saw even serna said she could not understand it!

Chance
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:09 AM
I don't get it, what did ASV do for them to hate her??

Gallofa
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:10 AM

Win RG three times :D

propi
magui serena. I think 98
the worst boohing I ever saw even serna said she could not understand it!
But Wasn't Serna playing Pierce in second round or she beat Pierce in second round the year before...

Flatstat

The worse Martina got was her last ever match against Miriam Oremans in 1994 at the french which she lost 6-4 6-4. She was booed from the court and greeted with BJK's comments of "I told you not to play here". Of course she quickly obliterated that from her memory by getting to the wimbledon final 6 weeks later, including beating Jana Novotna 5-7 6-0 6-1 in an astonishing display after Jana said she Martina was too old to be playing Wimbledon.

In the french crowds defence, Martina did break her racquet and throw it in the bin after the match :o

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM
she moonballed and that had succes.
maybe also because she beat mary pierce in 94(but they boohed mary too so that doesn't make sense)

SerialKiller#69
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Okay, my position is now cemented: The RG crowd SUCKS!

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM
But Wasn't Serna playing Pierce in second round or she beat Pierce in second round the year before...

yeah it was the match against mary pierce. that's why they boohed mary p so hard because she lost :o

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Arantxa constantly questioned line calls through her whole career and it really is a "pet" hate of the french crowds :)

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:13 AM
I am glad they didn't booh steffi when she could not walk anymore in 97 or when she tanked in 91 :o

spencercarlos
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Arantxa said quote after 1996s RG loss.
"Even the french crowd was not with me, i still will always love you, thank you and see you next year" :eek:

I have it taped :p

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:17 AM
I am glad they didn't booh steffi when she could not walk anymore in 97 or when she tanked in 91 :o

Was that the 8-10 tank in the 3rd set you are alluding too
:o

Philbo
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Flatstat is right about Arantxa and the crowd - she questioned heaps of calls and they hated that...

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Was that the 8-10 tank in the 3rd set you are alluding too
:o

no 6:0 6:2!

SerialKiller#69
"Even the french crowd was not with me, i still will always love you, thank you and see you next year" :eek:

:mad:

it doesn't make sense why she needs to reaffirm again and again how she likes the crowd. it's pathetic. she shouldn't act like a martyr in that kind of hostile crowd. :mad:

anyways, she's a champion and a fighter. :worship:

Flatstat
Flatstat is right about Arantxa and the crowd - she questioned heaps of calls and they hated that...

did you hear about or see Navratilova v Oremans in 1994 :eek:

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:20 AM
no 6:0 6:2!

Oh, the other Tank :o ;)

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM
steffi made crazy errors in 92 at important points but I would not accuse her from tanking that day. she tried like never before. that was the problem, she overtried :o

Gallofa
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:22 AM
:mad:

it doesn't make why she needs to reaffirm again and again how she likes the crowd? it's pathetic. she shouldn't act like a martyr in that kind of hostile crowd. :mad:

anyways, she's a champion and a fighter. :worship:

She loved Paris. Always played better there than at any other tournament. I guess she would had liked to feel a bit of that high regard shown back to her, but she was above whatever the crowd did, she liked it in RG, she loved the tourney, and if they didn't like her back, well, too bad, she was still coming back next year and the following when she won the title :D

Philbo
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Flatstat - No, I meant to say thanks cuz I didnt know that, I read about the loss but for some reason didnt recall Martina being booed for it...I thought all crowds that year appreciated their 'last' chance to see her play singles, but obviously I give the french crowd too much credit... I recall BJK saying "I told you so" etc

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:26 AM
steffi made crazy errors in 92 at important points but I would not accuse her from tanking that day. she tried like never before. that was the problem, she overtried :o

I was joking you know ;)

Didn't Steffi and Monica swap 10-8 defeats in Grandslam final? Australian and French?

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM

that kinda sounds like Serena@ IW :p

of course.....she'll never play there again :angel:

i dont dislike the French crowd.....then again i did have the volume turned off the whole match :angel:

the Belgian crowd@ Antwerp was insane :eek:

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Flatstat - No, I meant to say thanks cuz I didnt know that, I read about the loss but for some reason didnt recall Martina being booed for it...I thought all crowds that year appreciated their 'last' chance to see her play singles, but obviously I give the french crowd too much credit... I recall BJK saying "I told you so" etc

As I said earlier in the thread, Martina breaking her Racquet and throwing it in the bin didn't help her cause :o She actually apologised to the French crowd in her press conference and has been loved ever since :)

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:30 AM
what happened with andre-moya in 99?

I heard the crowd was very rude there too. I didn't see it only remember watching monica-julie h-d at that moment and there was a lot of noise from that court

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:36 AM
what happened with andre-moya in 99?

I heard the crowd was very rude there too. I didn't see it only remember watching monica-julie h-d at that moment and there was a lot of noise from that court

Did Steffi/Monica swap 10-8 defeats in GS, tell me because I am too lazy to go and check
;)

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:38 AM
no steffi only played two 10:8 matches in grand slam finals

one against monica and one against asv!

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:48 AM
no steffi only played two 10:8 matches in grand slam finals

one against monica and one against asv!

Oh yeah, thats right, she lost 10-8 to Monica, but won 10-8 against ASV and said to her "I know how you feel". It was incredibly sporting of Steffi because she did know exactly how ASV felt :)

Mattographer
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Yeah, they booed Martina Hingis when she played Rachel McQuillan in two years ago!! :o I shocked when they booed Martina and cheered Rachel!! :o

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Yeah, they booed Martina Hingis when she played Rachel McQuillan in two years ago!! :o I shocked when they booed Martina and cheered Rachel!! :o

I bet you Rachel was shocked too :o Is she retiring this year?

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:35 PM
they are fools. why do they hate the spaniards so consistently. ASV and CONCHITA are totally beloved in Germany. What is up with the French?

Dava
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Did'nt that guy who took Cocaine get booed, was it Wilender, or am I thinking of his doubles partner.

starr
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:45 PM
The calling of lines is hated by the French crowd for some unknown reason. There will always be a smattering of whistles for that. But, you can get away with it if you are a crowd favorite, NOT the overwhelming favorite to win, OR if you only question about a mark a set.

If a player starts calling the lines the way ASV did and also the way Serena did at this match the crowd really gets on the player. The ONLY way you can get by with it is to not make the out gesture yourself but to quietly go up to the mark, look at it, and ask the umpire to check. That won't always do the trick, but it seems to go over better with the crowd.

and By the way, people saying Serena was correct about each of the calls makes absolutely no difference with the fans there. They don't care about whether it is right or wrong. It is the questioning and the manner of questioning that grates.

I think this must be some sort of tradition there or something because it is the same thing year after year.

And you know... If I had just glared the great French hope off the court the two days before, I might think it wise never to question a call... cause you know the French crowd can hold that sort of thing against a player for years and years.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:14 AM
It seems that only Serena and Martina were forced to tears. Or, is there anyone else?

Mattographer
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:11 AM
I bet you Rachel was shocked too :o Is she retiring this year?
In fact, Rachel shocked as well according to herself in interview ;)

No, she will continue play the Tour. Actually, I read her interview last December and told that she want play for next few years! :eek:

She's the next Nathalie Tauziat who don't retired until she's 33 :p

Venus Forever
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Venus was booed with her match against Vera. :rolleyes:

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:31 AM
ASV copped heaps!

seeing_red
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Yeah, Mary really had a very difficult time with the French crowd before

Miranda
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:41 AM
why they are so bad to boo sanchez :confused:

Fantastic
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:56 PM
If I was singled out and booed by a huge crowd of people for any reason, I'd probably be scared for my life. Imagine how these players must feel when they do nothing to provoke it but then get jeered no end. The French crowd are so insensitive at times. They're bullies.

Fantastic
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Arantxa cried at the 95 presentation ceremony. She tearfully said, "even though you don't like me, I still love you and I love Paris." Martina Hingis said something similar at the 99 presentation ceremony. She even spoke in French, to which the crowd cheered her.