PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay set to pass Venus as well

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Venus looks like dropping to number 5 after the Grass season. With Lindsay defending nothing and likely to pick up around 600+ points, while Venus has at least that many to break even :eek:

tennisIlove09
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:26 AM
On grass, Venus would have to be injured to lose early--if at all. No one can compete with her 120 plus serves CONSISTENTLY. injury cost her the title last year.

And with Lindsay being injured, her Wimbledon is in danger.

bis2806
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:26 AM
i hope lindsay passes venus.... which means venus will drop to no. 6 :eek:

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:15 AM
. injury cost her the title last year.

Boy is that line wearing a bit thin :rolleyes:

Lindsayfan
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:53 AM
And with Lindsay being injured, her Wimbledon is in danger.

dont jinx please :rolleyes:

Jan
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:56 PM
No disrespect to Venus but I would like to see Lindsay above her but we really must hope for her to be fit for Wimby I think.

:worship:

2ace2
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Noooo, go Venus! Do well at Wimbledon :D

anton
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:07 PM
stop using Venus to make Lindsay look good :rolleyes:

Experimentee
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:16 PM
I think Venus will defend her points as long as she isnt in Serenas half. Theres no one else who can really challenge her on grass except maybe Lindsay, but Venus has beaten Lindsay the last few times. I just hope Venus has recovered from her stomach muscle injury.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:20 PM
I think Venus will defend her points as long as she isnt in Serenas half. Theres no one else who can really challenge her on grass except maybe Lindsay, but Venus has beaten Lindsay the last few times. I just hope Venus has recovered from her stomach muscle injury.

For Venus to do this, she must be drawn on the other side of Serena, which is only a 50% chance of happening. If she is drawn on the same side as Serena it would be hard to back Venus comnsidering there past and Venus would lose points
:eek:

treufreund
Jun 7th, 2003, 12:28 AM
venus will finally play JENNY In the qfs and lose. :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:05 AM
The three players that I think will come out firing for the grass season would be Lindsay,Serena and Venus. These 3 will only beat each other there depending on the draw. I dont see anyone standing in their way. Of course these is without injuries.
With these scenario, Lindsay has no points to defend while the two has final and championship. So Lindsay is safe at number 4 after wimbledon.

Veebok
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:07 AM
venus will finally play JENNY In the qfs and lose. :)
That's the funniest thing I've read in years!

Go Venus! Dominate Wimbly. :)

starr
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:09 AM
Don't you all think that a injury free Petrova might be dangerous at Wimbledon? I wouldn't want her in my quarter if I were one of the top players.

Also Justine is dangerous on grass. I wouldn't write her off at all. Kim has a grass game that she hasn't really showed us yet too.

1jackson2001
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Venus just keeps a tumblin' doesn't she

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Right now, Lindsay is nursing an aggravated nerve in one of her big toes which right now, makes her doubtful for Eastbourne. Until we know the status of her injury, we don't know what she will do at Wimbeldon or even participate.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:25 AM
I'm sure Venus wouldn't like that. She knows what to do now, granted that she has fully recovered from that injury. Venus really thrives on grass, if she's on, she's almost unbeatable.

jenglisbe
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:28 AM
It would be ridiculous for Lindsay to be ranked ahead of Venus; Venus was in the final of a major earlier this year, and was in 2 others within the past 52 weeks of the ranking system. She also has a few titles.

Lindsay, on the other hand, hasn't been in the final of a major in over 2 years and only has 1 title in the past year.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:59 AM
It would be ridiculous for Lindsay to be ranked ahead of Venus; Venus was in the final of a major earlier this year, and was in 2 others within the past 52 weeks of the ranking system. She also has a few titles.

Lindsay, on the other hand, hasn't been in the final of a major in over 2 years and only has 1 title in the past year.

Dont quote the past two years. LD will just pass her next week. Lindsay was number 12 when she was not playing and Venus is winning tournaments. Lets talk about latest performance on how they got those points.

Lindsay won only one title but she has been in finals( a lot) and semis of tournaments she entered except for Scottsdale. I dont remember Venus having won more titles either and going further in tournaments than Lindsay lately. Refresh me, I might be wrong. I believed LD wont earn those points if she did'nt play like a top player as she is. Besides Lindsay havent completed yet the best 12? or 16? tournaments?? correct me here, I really dont know exactly the minimum tournies for ranking computations.

Jericho
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:11 AM
Lindsay won only one title but she has been in finals( a lot) and semis of tournaments she entered except for Scottsdale. I dont remember Venus having won more titles either and going further in tournaments than Lindsay lately. Refresh me, I might be wrong. I believed LD wont earn those points if she did'nt play like a top player as she is. Besides Lindsay havent completed yet the best 12? or 16? tournaments?? correct me here, I really dont know exactly the minimum tournies for ranking computations.

Over the past 52-weeks, Lindsay has won Tokyo (tier 1), while venus has 4 stanford, san diego, new haven, and antwerp (all tier twos)...as far as slam performance...lindsay has SF, 4th, SF, 4th...venus has F, F, 4th, F...and i believe lindsay has past her 17th tournament

o0O0o
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Being that we're on the Wimbledon topic, how will Clijsters do? Clijsters fans: Wasn't grass her favorite surface as a junior? She's done well there except for last year.

nander
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Everybody seems to be on the way past Venus. I think she has brought it on herself. By that I don't mean that she is the one who beats herself in matches. Rather, in my opinion, for several years she has made some rather silly decisions in tournamnet selection. Surely someone in her crowd could advise her.
Maybe she doesn't care about the rankings but that would be strange... if you are in a sport you must want to be doing the best that you can and be rated as high as possible.
But then again maybe not.

SerenasMelons
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:27 AM
If Venus does drop to 5 or below, don't worry. If she truly cares about her ranking, then she'll commit to a full fall schedule, where she has almost NOTHING to defend from last year, whereas players like Clijsters and Davenport racked up points after the U.S. Open.