PDA

View Full Version : Washington: Crowd behavior affected Serena

tennisIlove09
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:24 AM
Crowd behavior affected Serena
By MaliVai Washington
Special to ESPN.com

PARIS -- All tournament long, Justine Henin-Hardenne has had a lot of crowd support because she's from Belgium, where a huge portion of the population speaks French. It's not a surprise that much of the crowd was for Henin-Hardenne in the semifinal against Serena Williams.

Mal's Picks

Washington
Former ATP Tour pro MaliVai Washington is providing ESPN.com with analysis during the French Open. He was courtside at the semifinal between Serena Williams and Justine Henin-Hardenne

In addition, I think a lot of people wanted to see someone other than Williams in the final.

However, I thought the crowd at times showed poor taste toward Serena. There were a couple of occasions when the linesperson didn't call the ball out and Serena stopped in the middle of a point to circle the mark and the chair umpire confirmed that the ball was out. Serena was completely in the right, but the crowd reacted negatively toward her. After that, they proceeded to cheer when Serena would miss the first serve, which is completely inappropriate.

I think the crowd was definitely a factor in the match, when you have an extremely rowdy crowd there are times when it works in your favor and there are times it works against you. Two days ago, the crowd was for Amelie Mauresmo and it worked against her because she couldn't handle the pressure. Thursday, the crowd was for Henin-Hardenne and at times got ugly toward Serena and that affected her.

One incident late in the third set drew some attention. Henin-Hardenne put her hand up to wait because she wasn't ready to receive serve. At that moment, Serena proceeded to hit a serve into the net. Because Henin-Hardenne asked her to wait, Serena should have gotten a first serve. I don't believe the chair umpire saw Henin-Hardenne hold her hand up to wait therefore he didn't grant Serena a first serve. Serena argued that she should have gotten a first serve, but ultimately hit a second serve.

Serena better than anyone thrives in pressure situations whether it's the final of a major or saying she wants to win the "Serena Slam" or playing in front of huge crowds that are against her. It's impossible to come out victorious every single time.

When it was over, Serena shook hands with Henin-Hardenne, but never broke stride on her way to her chair. I would have loved to have seen Serena wish her luck in the final or congratulate her more than she did because I don't think her frustration or disgust was aimed toward Henin-Hardenne. In the heat of the moment, and with the way the crowd was behaving, I don't think she was interested in doing anything more than getting off the court and leaving Roland Garros.

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Well good grief I actually agree with some (most!) of what Washington says for a change! Nice article.

But what is confusing me is, didn't everyone think that Serena positively fed off hostile crowds? How come they've suddenly changed their tune because she lost one match?

theultimateone
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM
NOONE should have to be confronted with foolish, rowdy heathens every time they step on a court to compete. Blood runs through Serena's veins just like it runs through yours. Serena is not a robot, and she doesn't have to pretend not to be affected by such imbecilic behavior. She had just gone through this bullshit with Mauresmo. Obviously, Serena felt the so-called fans of tennis would at least be respectful toward both she and Henin, regardless if Henin was their favorite or not.

Serena has every right to question the calls that were out, yet not called out by the linesperson. As we all know, EVERY call she questioned was correct in her favor. The ass-holes in the stands just couldn't take that she had gotten the upper hand on Henin. Such ignorance has no place in this type of competition.

tennnisfannn
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Well good grief I actually agree with some (most!) of what Washington says for a change! Nice article.

But what is confusing me is, didn't everyone think that Serena positively fed off hostile crowds? How come they've suddenly changed their tune because she lost one match?

Anyone who has been in difficult situations like abuse, been bullied or prejudiced against will acknowledge that there is always a last straw and this was probably it for serena. Now that i look back this may have been a blessing in disguise. She has been under tremendous pressure against the crowds and to do it against amelie, henin and then kim would have been just too much.

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:49 AM
I think I didn't express my point clearly - I certainly don't think she SHOULD be exposed to bad crowds and of course she has the right to challenge bad calls, and in fact I have no less respect fot the woman for crying or losing or anything else. I just didn't understand why the crowd was blamed when previously she and others have been so proud of how crowds don't get to her. Is it a case of "they don't get to her except when they do".

The "last straw" suggestion may be the answer.

I am very sorry if you thought I was disrespecting Serena as a person because I am not like that at all.

Defcon
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:18 PM
I agree with ^^. Serena has gone on record many times saying that the crowd doesn't affect her, that she even relishes playing in front of hostile crowds and shutting them up by demolishing her opponent, like she did against Mauresmo.

For her and people like Mal, Pam Shriver, Mary Joe etc to now claim that the crowd was the reson she lost, and to somehow imply that Justine's win wasn't well deserved, is childish and in poor sport.

No one complained in 1999 when the FO crowd reduced Hingis to tears - that was much worse than what Serena faced.

The crowd only turned on Serena when she started making her own line calls, which is 'just not done', even though she was correct.

G_Slammed
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:35 PM
The crowd only turned on Serena when she started making her own line calls, which is 'just not done', even though she was correct.

It's not supposed to been done by the Williamses, that's why they turned on her.

On clay players can make their own calls... ump will jump down run over, take a look at it.. palm down or index finger pointed up and out, simple as that.. with no crowd "participation", unless one of the players are Venus or Serena. It's just not supposed to be done by the Williams sisters.

Annarocks
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Everyone feels bad for Serena because she cried when she lost one match...and because the crowd turned on her....that is sooo pathetic!!!

Of course the crowd was going to turn on her...didn't she KILL Mauresmo in the Quarterfinals two days before? And, didn't she look like a damn monster (predator) while doing it? Like she was going to really, actually kill Mauresmo.

By the way, did Mauresmo cry when she lost badly to Serena? I don't think so!

Just live with it people...Serena showed her lack of class too!

eshell
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Personally, I never believed Serena's claims that crowds do not affect her.

She uses a facade of invincibility but she is human. It would not be impossible for her to block out the crowds in most situations but fail to do so against Henin-Hardenne at Roland Garros.

tennisfun
Jun 20th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Everyone feels bad for Serena because she cried when she lost one match...and because the crowd turned on her....that is sooo pathetic!!!

Of course the crowd was going to turn on her...didn't she KILL Mauresmo in the Quarterfinals two days before? And, didn't she look like a damn monster (predator) while doing it? Like she was going to really, actually kill Mauresmo.

Everyone knows Justine didn't win that match fare. SHE KINDA STOLE IT and that's the reason the board didn't go crazy after she got that title. So its to you benefits to just let this go, because I don't think you want your favorite's scandle to be talked time again. Serena was classy enough to give Justine credit.

lizchris
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:02 PM

The beating Amelie got from Serena at the FO was justified and well deserved becuase of what Amelie said about Richard Williams last year after Wimbeldon (after another beating from Serena). She said that Richard would fix the match so Venus would win (Serena did) and along with Justine, said that the domination of the sisters at slams was not good for tennis. Of course she could have prevented that at Wimbeldon and at the USO (where Venus beat her), but she couldn't because she didn't play well enough.

Face it; payback is a bitch.

RAA
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:09 PM
okay, first of all, Justine did not STEAL the match.
ridiculous assertion!

second, I agree that I think the crowd does affect Serena more than she lets on. she is a pretty emotional person so its hard to believe that she could block it out entirely.

anyway, movin' on to Wimby...

tennisfun
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:15 PM
okay, first of all, Justine did not STEAL the match.
ridiculous assertion!

second, I agree that I think the crowd does affect Serena more than she lets on. she is a pretty emotional person so its hard to believe that she could block it out entirely.

anyway, movin' on to Wimby...
What you mean Justine the cheater didn't steal that match? She did that under the thousands pairs of eyes.

Bella
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:42 PM

VenuSerenAnna?

Glenn
Jun 20th, 2003, 09:49 PM
The beating Amelie got from Serena at the FO was justified and well deserved becuase of what Amelie said about Richard Williams last year after Wimbeldon (after another beating from Serena). She said that Richard would fix the match so Venus would win (Serena did) and along with Justine, said that the domination of the sisters at slams was not good for tennis. Of course she could have prevented that at Wimbeldon and at the USO (where Venus beat her), but she couldn't because she didn't play well enough.

Face it; payback is a bitch.
Payback?
Justine beat her! :rolleyes:

lizchris
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Payback?
Justine beat her! :rolleyes:

I was talking about Serena paying back Amelie at a Grand Slam for saying what she said about her father and embarrasing her in her home country.

great smash
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Everyone knows Justine didn't win that match fare. SHE KINDA STOLE IT and that's the reason the board didn't go crazy after she got that title. So its to you benefits to just let this go, because I don't think you want your favorite's scandle to be talked time again. Serena was classy enough to give Justine credit.

You could try and follow her example :angel:

Defcon
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:52 PM
It's not supposed to been done by the Williamses, that's why they turned on her.

On clay players can make their own calls... ump will jump down run over, take a look at it.. palm down or index finger pointed up and out, simple as that.. with no crowd "participation", unless one of the players are Venus or Serena. It's just not supposed to be done by the Williams sisters

Its one thing to ask the umpire to inspect a close line call, _after_ the point is over. Its quite another to _stop_ the point in the middle, because _you_ are sure the ball was out.

And no, players cannot make their own line calls. Thats what linespersons are for. I don't recall any other match where a player stopped a point in the middle three times in a match, during obviously important points.

tennisfun
Jun 20th, 2003, 10:53 PM
You could try and follow her example :angel:
I follow your example!

leslie
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:37 PM

[Admin edit]What is confusing you? How would you like to be out there playing and 15000K people boo you, appauld your errors and all that crap. I sure hope they do that to JH at the U.S. Open and tell me how you will feel about. [Admin edit]

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:57 PM
You are such a stupid bitch. What is confusing you? How would you like to be out there playing and 15000K people boo you, appauld your errors and all that crap. I sure hope they do that to JH at the U.S. Open and tell me how you will feel about. I see you are another belgium racist pig.

um i thought we were going for a kindler gentler wtaworld? oh well.

In any case I too thought serena had a handle on crowds due to the indian wells sitch. That crowd was ten times worse than the french so after that I thought she'd breeze through any hostile crowd. I guess after the quarterfinal she let her guard down and expected a lot of support. who knows. noone can be strong all the time.

anyway she still could have won that match but didn't. life moves on. she can take out justine in the wimbledon semi. what i due find strange is all this will serena bounce back from the absyss crap while kim who lost a FINAL is portrayed as eager for her next try. I dont get it.

leslie
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:03 AM
um i thought we were going for a kindler gentler wtaworld? oh well.

In any case I too thought serena had a handle on crowds due to the indian wells sitch. That crowd was ten times worse than the french so after that I thought she'd breeze through any hostile crowd. I guess after the quarterfinal she let her guard down and expected a lot of support. who knows. noone can be strong all the time.

anyway she still could have won that match but didn't. life moves on. she can take out justine in the wimbledon semi. what i due find strange is all this will serena bounce back from the absyss crap while kim who lost a FINAL is portrayed as eager for her next try. I dont get it.

I don't get it either.

heninrules
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:13 AM
Come on she is a sports woman so she has to deal with hostile crowds by blocking it out. Serena should know that the french open crowds are sometimes unfair.

Imagine how figo felt when about 100 000 people were booing him and throwing everything at him (even a pigs head!!!) at the nou camp. I believe that you really can't blame the crowd as that is sport, fans can be biased.

Dava
Jun 21st, 2003, 12:14 AM
Whatever happened to MaliVai Washington?

harloo
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:40 AM
IMO, Justine had the upper hand. She had the crowd willing to do anything to pull her through the match. She grew up on clay and was very comfortable. She had little pressure on her, and the lines people were favorable towards her. Their is only so much anyone can take, and I think it all came crashing down in the third set. Granted the crowd did throw her game off, and she should of won the match but that's tennis for you. It was not fair at all, but it happened and I think Serena will move on and eventually get revenge.

Serena on the other hand had just beaten Amelie much to the crowds dismay. She was American, she did not grow up on clay(and that says alot about her game that she was able to compete well on the surface). As much as she said she did not have the pressure, it was there.

However, I think her losing in a slam semi is good for her. I think she has slipped up on her preparation. It's amazing that she can still compete toe to toe with the girls with her serve being off. IMO, it will just make her better and stronger. This is an experience that will get her motivated to come out the victor next time.

Annarocks
Jun 21st, 2003, 01:42 AM
Dude.....what the hell?

You guys are pathetic as well!!! You ignorants are still saying that Justine STOLE the match???

What a bunch of sore losers...well what do you expect from Mrs. Cry-baby fans???

You guys need to see the light......

G_Slammed
Jun 21st, 2003, 05:53 AM
Its one thing to ask the umpire to inspect a close line call, _after_ the point is over. Its quite another to _stop_ the point in the middle, because _you_ are sure the ball was out.

See it done ALL the time. Player stops playing, circles mark, umpire comes down rules it in or out, crowd stays out of it. The script gets flipped when a Williams does it though.

And no, players cannot make their own line calls. Thats what linespersons are for.

Yes they can because I witness more than a few do it and the crowd doesn't lay into them for it.

G_Slammed
Jun 21st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Serena shrugs off doubt
By Doug Smith, special for USA TODAY

Two weeks after absorbing the most traumatic setback of her young career, Serena Williams re-enters her work arena Tuesday at Wimbledon with the frenetic London tabloids eager to examine her every move for lingering adverse signs of her French Open debacle.

The sight of America's most visible and dynamic female athlete, known for her ability to intimidate foes, reduced to uncontrollable tears raises questions.

• Can Williams, seeded No. 1, shove aside memories of her semifinal loss to Belgium's Justine Henin-Hardenne in Paris, which ended her bid for a fifth consecutive Grand Slam tournament title? Or will the loss be a negative catalyst and will Williams' confidence sag?

• Can she forever silence the catcalls and boos she was subjected to during her loss from the unruly French fans? Will the savvy Wimbledon fans, who witnessed the French treatment, greet Williams with cheers or jeers?

• Will suspicions fade or be borne out that racial bias played a role in the French Open crowd's anti-Serena be-havior, or were fans reacting to a perceived arrogance on Williams' part?

In March, when asked about the anti-French sentiment in the USA because of France's opposition to the impending war in Iraq, Williams snickered and said in a facetious French accent, "Well, we don't want to play in the war. We want to make clothes. We don't want the war."

French reporters called her comments "maladroit."

And during the French Open semifinal, Williams committed a faux pas by making her own calls on balls in or out. Whether she was correct wasn't the issue. The French tennis fans take their officials and their duties seriously.

Perhaps the Roland Garros treatment of Williams was simply a consequence of the tennis fans' natural inclination to root for the underdog.

Whatever the reason for the crowd upheaval and her resulting meltdown, Williams, with her WTA Tour-leading 31-3 record, begins a determined defense of her Wimbledon title.

Competing on the grass surface more suited for her power strokes, Williams faces No. 66 Jill Craybas in the first round en route to another potential semifinal matchup against French Open champion Henin-Hardenne.

Standing up to the crowds

Although troubled by the events in Paris, Williams dismissed suggestions she might need counseling before returning to the court.

"I definitely don't need a shrink, that's for sure," she said in an interview. "I'm just going to be (better prepared) next time. You've always got to be ready for everything, and I just don't think I was. I can say, 'I can do it. It's easy.' But deep down, it hurts."

Upon further reflection, Williams, 21, said, "If anything, it just makes me a stronger individual. I actually look forward to playing these players again."

Former pro Zina Garrison, appointed mentor by the women's tour to Williams when she turned pro at 14, said the game's top power hitter won't lose her focus or desire to stay at the top.

"She's very capable of rebounding from the French Open experience," Garrison said. "People look at her athletic ability, but Serena also has the ability — mentally — to be as tough as nails. She can run four or five games on an opponent without them hardly touching a ball. And she likes being No. 1. In fact, she loves being No. 1."

Williams, in losing to Henin-Hardenne for the second time this year, lost some of her status as the game's most intimidating pro. She wept throughout her postmatch news conference in Paris, visibly shaken as much by the fans' hostility as she was by the loss.

"I'm not used to crying," Williams said. "It's a little difficult. All my life I've had to fight. So it's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win. That's all.

"I've just got to keep smiling. If you smile, things will work out."

But the French Open fans, who clapped for Williams' unforced errors, including double faults, left neither the Williams family nor Larry Scott, the WTA Tour's chief executive officer, in a cheery mood.

Williams' parents, Richard Williams and Oracene Price, expressed concern to Scott regarding their daughter's treatment. It called to mind that neither Serena nor her sister Venus has played at an Indian Wells (Calif.) event since their father accused the California crowd of racism two years ago.

Addressing whether the French Open crowd was motivated by racial bias, Scott said, "I didn't interpret it that way, but I realize that others might. I felt it was a combination of things, mostly about crowds favoring the underdog. And it was a very Belgium crowd. I don't think we should expect that.

"It was a disappointing and disturbing reaction from the crowd. I was concerned about it, and I felt a lot of empathy for how Serena felt on the court, and I expressed that to her family. But it also conveys some of the emotion of the sport."

Keven Davis, the Williams' family attorney who was in the family's box during the loss to Henin-Hardenne, said he felt "a pain in his gut" as he listened to the crowd applaud Williams' miscues.

"It wasn't everybody, but it was sprinkled throughout and gave me the feeling that the air was full of hate," Davis said.

"It felt like a mob mentality, something more than competition. We know that tennis is a microcosm of our society, so it would be naive for us to think that race does not have some role in all of this. How big or how small, we'll never know."

Harvard psychiatrist Alvin Poussaint said the Williams sisters' success and self-assurance might continue to trigger such attacks.

"They've struggled hard, had to be tough and not give in to anybody," Poussaint said. "Sometimes that attitude in both black men and black women frequently is not well accepted by whites. They would like to see more docility.

"There have been players from (John) McEnroe to some females out there, angry and doing something, but (who) never got that kind of intense attack. What is the difference? One of the elements is race."

Game for getting out there

Race, however, hasn't prevented Williams from becoming tennis' most marketable player.

Williams' endorsement deals with Puma, Wilson, Wrigley's Doublemint gum, Avon, Close-Up toothpaste, McDonald's and Sega and Konami video games are worth an estimated $20 million.

"Her style of play has raised the bar, as other champions have done over the years," Scott said. "She's taken the game to a new level in terms of her athleticism and her power and has been recognized as one of the most popular athletes in the world."

Enthralling to many because of her rags-to-riches story, Serena is half of one of the sports world's most intriguing sibling rivalries.

Williams' sister Venus, who has won Wimbledon twice, is seeded No. 4. The two could meet in the final if they advance that far. Venus was Williams' victim in all four of her "Serena Slam" victories from the 2002 French to 2003 Australian Opens.

Williams says she's eager to test her skills in other areas, too. She yearns to be a model, fashion designer and movie star and already has had bit parts in a film —Black Knight, with Martin Lawrence — and a television sitcom, ABC's My Wife and Kids. Williams says she'll say no to any film or television projects involving tennis.

"I believe I'm a good actress, and I have a lot of skill," Williams said. "I would like to challenge myself. Playing a part in a tennis movie isn't challenging for me at all, and I would like to do something that challenges my acting skills."

But she's in no hurry to make a career change and expects to be pounding tennis balls for years to come.

"I can't even see the finish line right now," Williams said. "It's so far ahead of me.

"Hopefully, I'll be able to keep it that way for another seven or eight years. I would like to go as long as I can, as long as I'm healthy and enjoying it."

Lita's Ex
Jun 21st, 2003, 07:00 AM
I agree with Mal about the handshake: as disappointed as Serena was, she could've been more gracious or amiable towards Justine but wasn't. But then again, the extremely verbal (and pro-Justine) crowd got to her, so I understand why she wanted to get off the court asap.

Zina knows Serena all too well and I agree that she'll rebound quickly from this loss and win GS title #6.

Experimentee
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:12 AM

And no, players cannot make their own line calls. Thats what linespersons are for. I don't recall any other match where a player stopped a point in the middle three times in a match, during obviously important points.

Serena never stopped a point in that match. She only asked the umpire to come down to check the mark after the point was over, just like any other player would have done. I dont know what match oyu were watching, probably the wrong one!

Serena y Monica
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:34 PM
Got news for you Defcon

That's the only way you can challenge the ball on clay. If she had continued to play on and lost the point then should would not have been able to go back and challenge it three shots later so maybe you and the crowd needed a little education is rules governing the game.

LucasArg
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:56 PM
I couldn't agree more with this article.

I also would liked Serena wishing luck to Justine, but she had a bitter taste in her mouth, the same I was feeling trough TV.

Serena fell apárt. When I saw her in the interview crying, I knew she is only a girl who suffers like anyone else.The crowd sucked all the time, and I hope we can see more passionate crowd with respect, as it should be.

LucasArg
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:57 PM
Another important thing: THE CHAIR UMPIRE SUCKED TOO :o :fiery:

*JR*
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:13 PM
Another important thing: THE CHAIR UMPIRE SUCKED TOO :o :fiery:
I must admit that I'm not sure if the umps are allowed to ask "mere linespersons" for help (even though the ump can't watch the server and receiver simultaneously and the linepersons behind both players can). If allowed, either a dumb or a "stuck-up" ump. If not permitted, a totally dumb rule. :rolleyes:

tennisfun
Jun 21st, 2003, 09:34 PM
Dude.....what the hell?

You guys are pathetic as well!!! You ignorants are still saying that Justine STOLE the match???

What a bunch of sore losers...well what do you expect from Mrs. Cry-baby fans???

You guys need to see the light......
Are you talking about THE JUSTINE CHEATER? IF SO YOU ARE DEAD ON. IF NOT, THEN YOU ARE THE ONE NEED TO SEE THE LIGHT!

Midnite Surfer
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:36 PM
Oh give me a break. If Justine Henin had been treated at the US Open the way that Serena was at the French, people would be very quick to blame it on "the stupid, uncultured Americans". There is such a double standard. Europeans can be just as rude and rowdy as Americans and that French crowd proved itself to be malicious.

Also, since when is crying after a huge match so bad? Serena was going for the record books, that moment was way beyond a standard tennis match. Get over it my ass. Tell that to Navratilova about her loss to Mandlikova. Champions who succeed at the level of Serena and Navratilova carry around the added weight of expectations. How could any of you possibly know about that kind of pressure? Even the average professional tennis player can't know what that is like.

Quit talking out of your asses.

Jakeev
Jun 21st, 2003, 10:50 PM

Serena is human. That is the bottom line. I think the "hand" incident rattled her more than the crowd did.

selesrules
Jun 21st, 2003, 11:02 PM
I can't wait to see what excuses people will find when Justine beats Serena the next time they play for a 3rd time in a row. Perhaps at Wimbledon...

Annarocks
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:13 AM
Cookie Box....Get A damn life!!

And stop fantasizing you Stupid-little-12 year-old-damn-lesbian!!!

tennisfun
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:17 AM
Cookie Box....Get A damn life!!

And stop fantasizing you Stupid-little-12 year-old-damn-lesbian!!!
LMAO. Are you talking about cheater justine Stupid-little-21 year-old-damn-lesbian? Then you are dead on!

harloo
Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:22 AM
wow. a first real slam controversy in a long time. I think Serena will get her next time. It only takes one time to make Rena cry. Remember Jen use to have Rena in tears, but look what happened thereafter. Justine is riding high now, but we will see what happens. LOL

*JR*
Jun 22nd, 2003, 02:07 AM
It may be a Slam controversy, but I believe my fellow "lefty peacetard" Griffin, who's a cool poster in general, is also a "damn-lesbian", so all of youse plz just..... STFU! :rolleyes:

Annarocks
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:17 AM
I am not too sure Serena will beat her next time....Weren't you one of the ones who said that NO-ONE BEATS SERENA TWICE IN A ROW.....I GUESS THAT'S CHANGED TO 3 TIMES IN A ROW!!!!

give me a break, dude

Cassius
Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:24 AM
I'm not too fond of the French crowds, they seem a bit too 'pinchy'. Always looking to have a go at someone.

But, Serena will get a good reception at Wimbledon. In England we respect champions. Even if we don't love them, we show them respect (how else do you explain Sampras' good receptions over the years, people were just as bored to death of him as they are of the Williams').
So, Serena will be cheered unless she faces a Brit, or some little teenager from god-knows-where who puts up a fight (Brits love underdogs who show some spirit).