PDA

View Full Version : OMG Elke has to play 3 matches tomorrow!!!!

Brαm
Jan 23rd, 2002, 07:54 PM
Poor Elke [who fell during her doubles match yesterday and hurt her knee btw] has to play 3 ( :eek: ) matches tomorrow.

Well at least 2...

She has to play the 2nd round singles match, a doubles match and maybe also a 3rd round singles match!!!

I hope her body can take it!!! :(

Go Elke!!!!! :kiss:

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 01:27 AM
wow, that's not simple! I hope she will get through all 3 of them :) :) :)

Martian KC
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:53 AM
ELKE IS UP 3-1 in the third set!:D

Justinator
Jan 24th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Elke won 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 :) :)

Good luck in your other two matches today!

Martian KC
Jan 24th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Congrats Elke!:cool: Good luck against Matea...it'll be tough...

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 10:28 AM
Congrats Elke against a tough opponent!!!

Good luck against Matea :) :) :)

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:23 PM
And well done against Matea! :) :)

She won 6-3 6-4 :) :) :)

Justinator
Jan 24th, 2002, 12:38 PM
What a great result! Congrats Elke!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Her next match is against Sharapova. I guess Eggy will be a spectator. :)

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Wooohoo, and she has 3/3!!!

go for 2/2 tomorrow!! :)

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2002, 06:54 PM
I'll watch some of it and cheer for Maria

but Vera is also playing same time so :sad: , so I'll be watching Vera too.

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Who do you think will win, Elke or Maria?

What are Maria's strenghts?

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:24 PM
This one will be close .

Maria's got great court coverage, speed about the court. She is way too skinny, like a model.

Sharky's done great here for a 14 yr old.

She can handle the power stuff thrown at her like she did vs Casanova, she dealt with her just 4 days after losing to her in last weeks final 6-1 6-4.

Elke might over-power her but Maria's got a great game overall with shot placement and makes the opponent run all over as well.

I'm going for Maria but you know why, but i'd be suprised if either made the final.

arn
Jan 24th, 2002, 07:30 PM
ThanX :) :)

But it seems like Maria will be a great propect for the future, only 14 and such good results!

Brαm
Jan 24th, 2002, 09:26 PM
WHOA!! Well done Elke!!!!

Three kisses for three victories
:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Josh
Jan 24th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Well done Elke! Good luck against Maria! :D

Nina_rus
Jan 24th, 2002, 11:59 PM
Elke pic

arn
Jan 25th, 2002, 12:11 AM
Nice Pic :)

They are clearly family!
Kim's legs are build much heavier

per4ever
Jan 25th, 2002, 12:24 AM
COOL PICTURE!!!!!!!! tx!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martian KC
Jan 25th, 2002, 02:31 AM
WOW, Elke great match!!! Elke should also get to the net too as she is a better volleyer!:)

Justinator
Jan 25th, 2002, 02:50 AM
Thanks for the pic! :)

gentenaire
Jan 25th, 2002, 03:45 AM
She looked a lot better in her interview than on that pic.

the cat
Jan 25th, 2002, 05:05 AM
This is my first trip into "The Belgian Babes band" It's very nice.

How good a prospect is Elke Clijsters? I guess Elke hasn't been playing the juniors 100% of the time. Otherwise, her junior ranking would be much better than it is. I have to admit that Elke routining Matea was very impressive.

theboiledegg thinks she has a good chance to beat Maria Sharapova. Who is my favorite junior player.

Both Elke and Maria had big days yesterday. But because Elke is alot bigger than Maria, and a couple years older, I think she will recover better than Maria for todays match. Do you agree?

Yesterday, Sharapova had to play powerhouses Myriam Casanova and Samantha Stosur. And today she has to play another physically imposing player in Elke Clijsters. Unfortunately playing against much stronger girls has to catch up to Maria sooner or later. Doesn't it?

Bram, Elke should be able to handle all these junior matches better than Maria Sharapova does. Maria is listed at 5'8" and 105 pounds. Maria is slight of might. And playing 3 singles matches in 2 days has to be physically challenging for Maria. So Elke would seemingly have the strength and stamina advantage.

But I think it's wrong for the juniors to have to play 2 singles matches in one day. That's very hard on the younger juniors who aren't full grown yet. Then there are the junior girls who were scheduled to play 2 singles matches and a doubles match yesterday. That's insane scheduling! I hope nobody got injured from overplaying yesterday.

I hope Elke vs. Maria is a good match.

Josh
Jan 25th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Elke is a very talented player, a few years ago people even said that she was more talented than Kim. I don't really agree with that but I believe she has great potential. The thing with Elke is that she doesn't have the same mentality as Kim. Last year she was a bit tired of playing tennis and hence her results went down.

But now she has a new coach (former Belgian pro Ann De Vries) and she seems to have found her motivation back.

I favour Maria to win but who knows...maybe Elke might do it.

Justinator
Jan 25th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Elke has really impressed me the last weeks, finally some good wins. I must say I was starting to think she would quit tennis last year, she also had a lot of physical problems the last years, but it's great that she is back and found new motivation.
I don't know about her match against Maria. I think Maria will win, though I don't know her very well. Obviously she's doing great at only 14 years old.

Cat, can you tell me a bit more about her game? Yesterday on Belgian television the commentators were talking about her during the Seles-Hingis match, they had been watching Maria's match against Casanova and were talking about 'the new Kournikova'. That she has been training at Bolletieri for some years and already has a sponsorcontract with Nike. They said her game looks like that of Monica. So, were they right? From what I've read, it sounds as if she's not that powerful, if she's so skinny. Does she have a double-handed forehand? Is she left handed? Why did they compare her with Monica?

the cat
Jan 25th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Justinator, I have never heard Maria Sharapova being compared to Monica Seles before. Maria is righthanded, and she has a 2 handed backhand. She doesn't have a double handed forehand. And she also doesn't have much muscle. Maria makes Juju look like an Amazon. But she is only 14. So she will get a little stonger. I hope. But playing all these big girls has to eventually take a toll on her. I think Maria is much tougher than she looks. I also think she has a tennis brain, too. Anna Kournikova and Elena Dementieva have really dissapointed me when it comes to tennis smarts. But Maria, after getting crushed by Myriam Casanova last week, beat Myriam in straight sets yesterday. So she must have learned from her loss. And that's a good sign.

Maria has contracts with Nike and Prince. And IMG is her agency.

Maria has always been compared to Anna Kournikova. And rightfully so. Maria Moved from Russia to Florida at a very young age to train at Nick Bollettieri's tennis academy. She is skinny and attractive like Anna. And marketable, too. And she, like Anna, plays with flat and slashing groundstrokes.

Only time will tell how good Maria becomes. I just hope she isn't as injury prone as Anna.

Justinator
Jan 25th, 2002, 06:40 AM
I was surprised they compared her with Monica, thanks for making things clear! :)

per4ever
Jan 25th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Elke and Tatiana took the first set in doubles against third seeded Dulko/Widjaja 7-6. They are 1-4 behind in the second

Come on Elke!!!!!!!!!

per4ever
Jan 25th, 2002, 12:11 PM
btw Elke lost her single match against Maria 6-4 6-2 :sad:

per4ever
Jan 25th, 2002, 02:20 PM
and also her double match 6-7 6-3 6-3 :sad:

Josh
Jan 25th, 2002, 04:38 PM
:sad:

But she had a great tournament, good luck for the rest of the year Elke! :)

arn
Jan 25th, 2002, 07:34 PM
Congrats Maria

And Congrats Elke for a great tournament, I hope this will be the start of a fantastic year :)

Nina_rus
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:06 PM
one more elke pic

per4ever
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:14 PM
tx Nina :D

Brαm
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:50 PM
That second picture is my favourite picture of Elke :)

the cat
Jan 25th, 2002, 08:59 PM
I hope Elke keeps up the good play. I think she has a tremendous physique for tennis.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised with Maria's convincing straight set wins over Myriam Casanova, Samantha Stosur and Elke Clijsters. Maria is scrawny compared to these much bigger girls. But she has been able to beat them in straight sets. I'm hoping Maria can be something special. I think Justine Henin is a good role model for those girls who are talented and on the skinny side. I am hoping Maria is one of those kind of girls.

Justinator
Jan 25th, 2002, 09:22 PM
Too bad Elke lost, she had her chances to take that first set against Maria, first she was down a break, then broke back twice, but Maria still won. Maria won the second set then easily.

Congrats to Maria, really impressive wins at such a young age!

And congrats to Elke, for a great tournament! :)

BelgianGirl
Jan 26th, 2002, 09:43 PM
In today's newspaper there was an article about Elke! :)
She seems to be really motivated: she was happy with her results in Australia (why wouldn't she?! :) ) Ans she told that she was very happy that Kim reached the top so quick, but that it might take her a little longer, and she really wants to become as good as Kim! She also said that she didn't like it that people always want to compare her to Kim, but that she understands that now and she's ok with that!
Well, let's hope she keeps having those great results and that in a few years time we will have the "Clijsters-sisters" on the WTAtour!
I hope I have the chance to see her play in Antwerp!

arn
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:10 AM
Elke is playing great, but it's almost sure she will lose in the first round, she will have to play against a top-60 player, out of her league for the moment.

But I'm happy she's motivated :) She will certainly be a top player if she keeps going on like this. :)

Brαm
Jan 27th, 2002, 12:22 AM
Maybe they could draw Elke against Els Callens... At least one of them would reach the 2nd roudn then! :)

arn
Jan 27th, 2002, 01:41 AM
lol, they will put ALL belgian players in the same quarter except for Justine who is in the same half, that way 2 belgians would reach the semis and Justine the final for sure ;) ;) ;)