PDA

View Full Version : Williams is beaten and then cries 'foul'

tennisIlove09
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Williams is beaten and then cries 'foul'
June 6 2003
BY Stephen Bierley in Paris
The Guardian

This outburst followed an incident in the third set when Henin-Hardenne raised her hand as if she was not ready to receive a serve. Williams served anyway but claimed she was distracted and asked the Portuguese umpire, Jorge Dias, for two serves.

Dias said he had not seen the incident and Henin-Hardenne remained silent, which clearly upset Williams.

Previously the crowd had barracked against the American world No1 when she had called two of her opponent's shots out. "They showed a lack of class and total ignorance," said Oracene Price, the mother of Venus and Serena Williams.

Before this year's French Open the sisters had played each other in four successive grand slams, with Serena winning all four. Venus went out this time in the fourth round.

"It was a tough crowd out there today, the story of my life," Serena said.

"I think it's bad when people start booing in between serves, or other people are egging them on by doing ridiculous things."

The crowd, containing many Belgians, had been equally partisan when cheering Kim Clijsters to a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Nadia Petrova of Russia in the first semi-final.

But the booing of Williams was inexcusable, even though Henin-Hardenne well deserved her unexpected win, paving the way for Belgium's first grand slam champion when the pair meet in tomorrow's final.

LucasArg
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM
"It was a tough crowd out there today, the story of my life," Serena said.

"I think it's bad when people start booing in between serves, or other people are egging them on by doing ridiculous things."

The crowd, containing many Belgians, had been equally partisan when cheering Kim Clijsters to a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Nadia Petrova of Russia in the first semi-final.

But the booing of Williams was inexcusable, even though Henin-Hardenne well deserved her unexpected win, paving the way for Belgium's first grand slam champion when the pair meet in tomorrow's final.

Poor Serena, I just saw the interview video on the official site. She was destroyed. :sad:
She is so sweet and people always treat her very rude.
We may think she can deal with it, but sometimes even the best player in the world is a human being with feelings who are constantly being hurt.

I hope tennis fan can grow up and stop being such an assholes.

bis2806
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:44 AM
stupid crowd :rolleyes:

Oizo
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:04 AM
I haven't seen the match, but Serena wouldn't have won anyway by getting 2 serves...

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Oh please, just another "TWEE" little article written for American digestion

fleemkeģ
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Hey Did you guys forgot what happend to the French player in the States? The crowd was extremly mean to her because of the opinion of France over the war against Iraq. That was so much worse than this crowed during 2 games :rolleyes:

tinkerbell
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM
ignorant crowd and Justine is very very unsporting....haven't seen the match yet but if she stopped serena from serving & then let her take a second serve instead of a first serve that really isn’t nice