PDA

View Full Version : Serena - Justine -- US Open 2003

diggerariel
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:11 AM
The French Open was as close to a "home court" advantage that Justine is going to find for a major. The US Open is obviously the actual "home court" for Serena. So, here's a general hypothetical situation.

2003 US Open - Serena v. Justine

Serena is embraced by the rowdy New York crowd in a show of warmth & patriotism (I know it may be a stretch, but stay with me). It's another thilling, close 3 set match with Justine. As the match is getting closer & closer to it's dramatic end, the EXACT things that happened on Thursday at Phillipe Chatrier occur at Arthur Ashe Stadium....only absolutely REVERSED (Serena is cheered wildly, Justine is booed, etc. etc. etc.). Serena wins to wild ovations. Justine cries in the post-match interview. EVERYTHING is precisely the same but reversed.

What do you believe the reaction would be by fans of Justine? Fans of Serena? Tennis fans in general? The media? Posters on this board?

Would the reactions be much different than the many reactions that occured after what happened to Serena on Thursday?

I have given it a lot of thought & find this theoretical one very interesting in a lot of ways. Truly think about it. I'd love to hear your honest opinions.

Cariaoke
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:20 AM
Justine's fans would continue to say how arrogant Serena is after she said 'It's about time somebody else won because she's won a lot' and now she can't just outmuscle her opponents, but she has to cheat as well. Serena fans would probably say the crowd is behind a Williams for once but would say that the booing was a little much. They'd probably also say that Serena should have told the umpire that she raised her hand. Tennis fans would probably feel sorry for Justine because she cried and her mother died when she was younger. The media would say that Justine melted down under pressure from the well-known rowdy NY crowd. The same foolishness that happened all day today would commence on this board.

diggerariel
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Justine's fans would continue to say how arrogant Serena is after she said 'It's about time somebody else won because she's won a lot' and now she can't just outmuscle her opponents, but she has to cheat as well. Serena fans would probably say the crowd is behind a Williams for once but would say that the booing was a little much. They'd probably also say that Serena should have told the umpire that she raised her hand. Tennis fans would probably feel sorry for Justine because she cried and her mother died when she was younger. The media would say that Justine melted down under pressure from the well-known rowdy NY crowd. The same foolishness that happened all day today would commence on this board.

Damn Cariosity. That's a good, well-thought answer. What about everyone else? Do you agree or disagree?

Rtael
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM
nothing? The US crowds are dead-like. Anyway....I'd be more interested in the match then in what the crowd was doing...especially seeing Justine vs. Serena on hardcourt with serena best surface and Justine's worst as opposed to just the oppiste (though both players are improving on their worst surfaces! (and their best too!))