PDA

View Full Version : Serena's Loss: A Big Win for her

joaco
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:37 AM
After watching the match and the interview, I've come to realise that Serena loosing the match today against Justine was actually a good thing for her. I mean, she's had an UNBELIEVABLE run in Grand Slams for the past year and a half, and maybe because she got used to winning she forgot to be a human.
I think that today she realised that she CAN LOSE and that she's not perfect. Saying this, is not something negative, is something positive. I state this, cause Serena finally gave credit to her opponent. This used to happen to me (all my life), it's like you want to win everything and you HAVE to win everything. And you get happy, cause you do so, but when you don't you are very misserable.
This is what happened to Serena today. I think that she'll be more easy on herself from now onwards and will start enjoying more tennis for playing it, than winning it. It's been a hard way to go for her, all her life, but instead of "figuring out a way to win this time" (as she said) she should figure out a way to handle it, and be more relaxed.

This is just my opinion, and to get something positive from her loss. Because there is ALWAYS something positive from a loss...

Joaco

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Thumbs up to your post. I agree.

kell
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
After watching the match and the interview, I've come to realise that Serena loosing the match today against Justine was actually a good thing for her. I mean, she's had an UNBELIEVABLE run in Grand Slams for the past year and a half, and maybe because she got used to winning she forgot to be a human.
I think that today she realised that she CAN LOSE and that she's not perfect. Saying this, is not something negative, is something positive. I state this, cause Serena finally gave credit to her opponent. This used to happen to me (all my life), it's like you want to win everything and you HAVE to win everything. And you get happy, cause you do so, but when you don't you are very misserable.
This is what happened to Serena today. I think that she'll be more easy on herself from now onwards and will start enjoying more tennis for playing it, than winning it. It's been a hard way to go for her, all her life, but instead of "figuring out a way to win this time" (as she said) she should figure out a way to handle it, and be more relaxed.

This is just my opinion, and to get something positive from her loss. Because there is ALWAYS something positive from a loss...

Joaco

Its a nice thought, but I very much doubt this will make Serena enjoy tennis more for playing. She's so competitive that she'll really beat herself up over it...even worse than her other recent losses.

I think the best positive you can take from it is GOOD FOR JUSTINE! Serena's era is far from over, so the other girls just need to celebrate every victory they can get.

Mikey
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:52 AM
Today I was at a dinner where there was a speaker. I expected him to get up there and tell us about his accomplishments, why he's speaking, and why we should take to heart his accomplishments.

But instead, he said that one of the most important things is failure. And he didn't follow it up with one of those cliche type "it builds character" type of things. He said that when success comes, it's usually easy and it never displays your full capacity. Instead, true failure, giving everything you've got and still coming up short, reveals who you are as a person and forces you to come up with whatever you can.

I'm sure I would have agreed with you anyway, but after listening to that speech, I really can relate to this. Failure is important because of what it can reveal about your skill, your character, and yourself as a person. While this may not be "failure" in the true sense, she will learn from this, and I'd be kind of scared to play Serena next time if I were Justine.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:57 AM

Joaco

I knew there would be a decent thread somewhere :)

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I agree totally! Im seeded #1 this weekend in a national tournament and if i lose ill be very pissed... u just have the expectations being seeded 1 and u dont like to lose esspecially when u win like she has..... i remember at the end of last year in 2 months i made 3 semis and 1 final.. nfortunately i lost .... where i should have 1 2 of them but i choked abit.. but i liked winning and when i lost i was v v agry and this year has been not to good.. i have yet made it anywhere in tournies besides last week where i won my tournament final 6-0 6-1 soo hopefully im back on the road to success and i can pull this weeks tournametn off!

This reall yhas nothing to do with what has been spoken about in this thread but i hate to lose!!

She hopefully has learnt from it! The loss has done more harm then good hopefully!

DiZZiA
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:03 AM
Yep!! She learned a valuable lesson from it!!!

joaco
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:51 PM
:D :wavey: