PDA

View Full Version : What will ratings be for FO Final?

spokenword73
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Since the USO 2001, everybody has been saying they are tired of seeing all-Williams GS finals. Do you think the ratings for an all-Belgian FO final will be better or worse than all-Williams??

Crazy Canuck
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:53 AM
Depends where you are getting your ratings. If you are talking about US TV, I imagine that the ratings will be lower than for an all US final. If you're talking Belgian TV I'm sure it will be the highest rated tennis match ever there.

spokenword73
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:57 AM
I mean overall compared to USO 2001, FO final 2002, USO 2002, Austrailian 2003

disposablehero
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:58 AM
I think the US rating won't be much behind an All-Williams. This is a bit of a novelty right now. If two non-Americans are in the Wimbledon Final as well, the novelty will have passed and you will see the ratings start to drop. Sad but true.

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:22 AM
The ratings for this year's French Open for the women's and men's final will low in the US, probably half of what the Williams-Williams Wimbeldon final rated last year. The advertisers in the US will take a hit because they probably bought ad time thinking at leat one Williams sister will be in the final.

In fact, they will be lucky to get the ratings the sisters got for their doubles final victory at Wimbeldon last year, which was higher than the mens' final.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:24 AM
well considering justine and kim have the combined star power of 15 kilowatt lightbulb this is not a surprise.

GO KIM!

Havok
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:27 AM
well i mean obviously it's gonna be lower than an all-Williams finals, because these two Belgians don't have the star quality the Williams sisters have yet. but tennis fans won't shun away from this final, but it might have trouble getting non-tennis fans watching it. still a good finals though

vs1
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Hopefully the final will be a good match.

But to be honest, most Americans (we're talking not members of WTAworld board) don't know Kim or Justine. I was pretty shocked to see that even people on my tennis team don't all know them! And the way they try to pronounce Kim's last name it all wrong! It drives me crazy! :mad:

I was out to dinner last night with some people from my study group and I was telling them how I was nervous for the semi finals matches and NOT ONE OF THEM knew anyone except for Serena! Now, I know, that's THEIR loss. But in terms of TV ratings in the US, it's going to hurt ESPN and their sponsors. Of course, I don't know the ratings outside of the US, but you can bet that the US is a big market.

With Serena AND Andre both out, I think that the rating will be some of the lowest we've seen. We'll see.

selesfan
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Hopefully the final will be a good match.

But to be honest, most Americans (we're talking not members of WTAworld board) don't know Kim or Justine. I was pretty shocked to see that even people on my tennis team don't all know them! And the way they try to pronounce Kim's last name it all wrong! It drives me crazy! :mad:

I was out to dinner last night with some people from my study group and I was telling them how I was nervous for the semi finals matches and NOT ONE OF THEM knew anyone except for Serena! Now, I know, that's THEIR loss. But in terms of TV ratings in the US, it's going to hurt ESPN and their sponsors. Of course, I don't know the ratings outside of the US, but you can bet that the US is a big market.

With Serena AND Andre both out, I think that the rating will be some of the lowest we've seen. We'll see.

I know what you mean, I have friends that think they are tennis fans but they still think Connors and McEnroe are playing. They only know Andre, Pete and Jen. Some of them don't even know the sisters. Which reminds me of a funny story, I volunteered for the last tournament in Philly and someone came to the ticket booth and asked me if the Jackson sisters were playing ;)

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
It will certainly out rate an All Williams final in Australia. Kim is the Darling of the Australian Media and Justine is as well known as Serena and Venus in Australia. and no I do not know why Justine has such a high profile in Australia, she just does :)

The only Womens match that would out rate this one in Australia would be Clijsters v Hingis, both are Adopted daughters :)

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:47 AM
I agree, in Australia it will be sky high even though it's late on a Saturday night. Probably far more popular than the recent women's finals, in fact. Australians tend to read the sports pages or watch sports shows and therefore have usually heard of at least the top 10 tennis players. If Americans choose not to watch then that says more about Anericans, or the American media, or something, than it says about Justine and Kim. On the other hand if Williams fans (of many would be American) don't want to watch then there's nothing wrong with that at all. It's supposed to be fun after all.

Mikey
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:55 AM
In response to the original posts, I assume that they will not rise or fall.

Tennis fans will watch the final regardless of who's in it, it's just everyone else that matters. If the bulk of the ratings come from the US, then I could see a little bit of a drop because there aren't any Americans in it. In Belgium, it'll go up, but not enough to compensate.

I don't think the Williams/Williams combination will have anything to do with ratings though - it's the Americans that people here will be missing most.

LeonHart
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Well, I as an American, will definitly be tuned in for this final. The Aussie final, I was falling asleep, swapping channels oh so often...but this one i'm recording! heheh ;)

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:35 AM
In Belgium, dare I say it but it will be the most watched sports event on TV ever. And in Australia it will attract more viewersthan the AO final, the only thing that may detract some aussie viewers is the time, so instead I'll say it will have better ratings in Aus than last years Wimbledon final as they are both on late at night.

o0O0o
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Actually, Hingis/Capriati had higher ratings in the USA than Williams/Williams (at Australia). Williams finals have been systematically dropping, and with the drama Justine was involved in today, I think the US ratings will be pretty good.

SeReNa
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:38 AM
Well i wuld have stayed home and watched a Serena vs. Kim final but now i think ill go get blind. It is a saturday night for gods sake hehe

Brian Stewart
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:55 AM
It's hard to say exactly how the ratings will turn out. Overall global viewership numbers will probably be down slightly. In the US, there will be a noticeable drop from what they would have gotten with a Williams, or any American in the final. But, on the other hand, the final is being carried live for the first time. All other things being equal, a live telecast will outdraw a taped telecast.

I would expect that if the ratings do dip a bit, we will see articles like the one about the Australian Open finals, with headlines about the women's ratings being down, and conveniently omitting that it still was the higher rated of the 2 finals by a considerable margin.

For recent reference, we have 2000, with no Americans in the final. Yet it still drew decent numbers. As did 1999, 1997, 1996, etc. In this case, it might be one-step-back, two-steps-forward. They may take a slight ratings hit now, but one of these players will become a Grand Slam singles champion, which will improve her drawing power in the future.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:04 PM
In Belgium, dare I say it but it will be the most watched sports event on TV ever. And in Australia it will attract more viewersthan the AO final, the only thing that may detract some aussie viewers is the time, so instead I'll say it will have better ratings in Aus than last years Wimbledon final as they are both on late at night.

Actually it is on 10pm which isn't so bad, that is if it is shown live :(

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Actually it is on 10pm which isn't so bad, that is if it is shown live :(

Which it isn't, Australian Coverage begins at 11-15pm :mad:

tyk101
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:37 PM
no.. rating are goin to drop.. I might look on teletext once the match is finished here in the UK!!

The public really want to see a sentimental match! e.g MONICA! Seriously, I know this might be a bit biased.. but the public would prefer to watch a veteran champion slug it out with a williams sister... far more interesting..

Wimbledon final prediction:

Monica Vs Serena

if MOnica doesn't play

Venus V Serena.

fingers crossed

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Actually, Hingis/Capriati had higher ratings in the USA than Williams/Williams (at Australia). Williams finals have been systematically dropping, and with the drama Justine was involved in today, I think the US ratings will be pretty good.

But the Williams/Williams French Open final from last year rated higher than the Capriati/Clijsters final in 2001.

If the ratings from last yeat men's final are any indication, the ratings may not be as good for the women's finla tomorrow. The main reason: If an American isn't in the fanal, people may not want to watch.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:48 PM
I've just been informed the Final will be live in Australia. :bounce:

fammmmedspin
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:25 PM
As someone said, it depends where you are. Williams fans are probably predominantly American and many Americans will only watch if there is an American in the final. Belgium will stop for the day. Many people will tune in as they know there will be a new winner and there won't be another inevitable Serena win over Venus. kim and justine are popular with some people though and in some eyes (including the French crowd) will play far more watchable tennis with an unpredictable outcome. On the other hand some people won't know who the Belgians are. Great for the tennis fans, odd for the casual viewer. Nothing like the problems to come though when there is only one, or no, American in the top 10 and 5 Russians.

croat123
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:38 PM
the us ratings will fall cause half of the casual sports fans who always watch the majors won't recognize the players (as we haven't seen much of them on tv)

ratings in europe, especially belgium, will go through the roof.

when goran ivanisevic made the wimbledon finals, over 70% of homes with the channel HRT3 watch it.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:31 PM
this match didnt last longer than an episode of friends and was just as bad.

AjdeNate!
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Well I watched the entire match, every single point - which is the first time I've watched 100% of a GS Women's Final in a couple years - probably since Jenny d. Hingis in Oz.