PDA

View Full Version : serena...shes won my heart...what about you?

Trish101
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Ive never really been a big fan of Serena i can admit to that, most of that probably accounts to the fact that she derailed Jennifers Cinderella- like comeback of 01-02...its true Serena thrashed Jen at Jennifers peak...and Jennifer might never go back to that kind of championship form again thanks to it...

But the reason she has gained mine and most likely everyones (or at least a few) non williams fans new found respect is simple.... she showed all tennis fans and yet more ppl around the world that she is still vulnerable...she is still a human being capable of tears and heartache...yes i was deeply touched by serenas tears and emotions...its a new side of her and it has diffenetly shed a new light on her, a light of new found respect from this new Serena fan. and from now on before i judge her...ill respect her first ...and then judge more kindly!

and of course congradulations Justine for your fine play...good luck

disposablehero
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:25 AM
I found her press conference somewhat refreshing. A top player shouldn't like losing, and clearly she doesn't.

Mr. Man
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the club Trish. ;)

best best better
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Well, y'know, Serena already had my respect. For her sheer competitiveness and attitude to competition.

Today she got dealt a bad deal (as in the crowd), but I don't think that had any bearing on the match.

But she is a class act because she embodies what sport is about.

Bezz
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM
I will look at her differently from now on. She has shown a more softer side which i like rather than this arrogant " i am so much better than everyone else". The only reason i disliked serena was becuase she never gave opponents credit when they deserved it, other than that i had no reason to not like her. I thought venus has become a lot more complementary about opponents, and i hope serena does aswell. Everybody knows serena can play brilliant tennis, we dont need her to keep telling us - we can see it. I hope serena does well at wimby :-)

Trish101
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM
thanxs...glad to join the club...now how much is the membership fee again???

ex hopman
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:35 AM
I like her. She plays good. I like her style.
Well, when you lose, it's bitter sometimes...
and maybe players have to say something after the match? they might not even think anything about the match right after...

Anyway, she's going to play good anyway... maybe this loss could make her even stronger now!

chapel
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:45 AM
I will look at her differently from now on. She has shown a more softer side which i like rather than this arrogant " i am so much better than everyone else". The only reason i disliked serena was becuase she never gave opponents credit when they deserved it, other than that i had no reason to not like her. I thought venus has become a lot more complementary about opponents, and i hope serena does aswell. Everybody knows serena can play brilliant tennis, we dont need her to keep telling us - we can see it. I hope serena does well at wimby :-)

agree. i mean, seeing her lose the match and then crying in her interview reminds you that she's only human.

lurker
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:47 AM
I've always thought Serena was great...she's still my fav but I want Kim to win a major next.

CC
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:52 AM
So she was human all along? I'm confused.

Cariaoke
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Serena's always had my respect but now she has my heart. I mean, I liked her, I bought her magazine covers and what not but now she's pretty much cemented her status in my life. I have to meet this woman! Now, it's all about Serena and Venus. I have no one else to cheer on, I am hopelessly devoted to the Williamses, except for on Saturday. GO KIM!

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:58 AM
she never use to be one of my fav's but after that match and the interview she does make my top 10 now.. i was just really dissapointed of how she finished the match with the handshaking incedent! so her personality does need some work on it.. but thats wat happens when you win soo much u hate 2 lose!

aussiefan83
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:42 AM
ive never understood why people hate her, i mean i wouldnt say shes my favourite player, but everytime i've seen her talking she always so nice and seems to enjoy herself off court and when she's on court she is so determined and that should be respected. I guess she could sometimes give more credit to her opponents, but lets face it no-ones perfect and she doesnt like losing which is a great asset.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:50 AM
I have been a fan before her now highly popular interview lol.

Now she has to start her "Serena Slam #2". ;)

vs1
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Serena's always had my heart. I'm waiting to see if she'll marry me! ;) :hearts:

I think what we sometimes overlook is that these top players are young ladies, very young. Yet, because of their amazing achievements and their winning ways, we expect them to be perfect...on the court, off the court. To a large degree, they support our expectations a large amount of time. But in the end, they are just like you and me...and because they are young (and most probably fairly protected), they are more tender inside and vulnerable than we sometimes think. When I was 21, I was nowhere near the determination and focus level of Serena, Venus, Kim, Justine...and everyone else. We have good days and we have bad days (on and off court). At the end of the day, all these girls are to be admired and commended. They've done good!

I don't know why Serena strike such a chord with some people. I mean, we have Venus, the introvert, and people don't like that. She's not showing enough emotion. We have Serena, the extrovert, and people don't like that either. She's too flashy, too arrogant, too cocky.

Can't we just let these girls enjoy their moments of achievements in their own ways? And can't we just enjoy all the wonderful history that is taking place?

At the end of the day, we're all humans, with good days and bad days. And our days don't last forever.

Cariaoke
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:56 AM
nicely said jackson and vs1... I'm just looking forward to Wimby. I know what needs to changed will be changed. I can't wait... the Williams sisters slam will begin at Wimby. GO KIM!

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:58 AM
im a new serena fan...

Becool
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:43 AM
That interview made me cry :sad: :sad:

franny
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:47 AM
i have never liked serena, never thought i would. But goodness, after today, my respect for her has gone up 1 billion notches. Had she won this match, i think i would have bowed down to her. I really admire her for being able to handle this. She does not deserve what happened today and no one should be treated by 10's of thousands of people that way, its just not right. But serena is strong and after seeing how she composed herself, she still won in my heart. Everything was going against her and she still almost won, that is amazing.