PDA

View Full Version : Pammy's pick.

Astro Jetson
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Clay always a challenge for Serena
By Pam Shriver
Special to ESPN.com

PARIS -- From the beginning, I really felt the French Open would be different from the other majors. First of all, because it's clay. In Venus Williams case, her form had been so below par with injuries, etc. Her sister Serena had lost both clay-court events coming into this event. Because of that, the three main clay-court contenders had reason to feel more confidence coming into the major, so you knew this would be Serena's toughest assignment in a year and half.

Plus being the No. 1 seed did her no favors. She had the toughest quarterfinal against Amelie Mauresmo, the toughest semifinal against Justine Henin-Hardenne and, although it doesn't matter now, a tough final. The No. 1 seed had no favors.

Even greats like Serena are not going to win matches at majors forever. However, it had been two years since Serena had lost to the same person twice in a row (Jennifer Capriati). Then the way she took apart Mauresmo with such a dominant performance, I still favored her against Henin-Hardenne. But the overall draw worked against her.

Last year, too many of Serena's rivals just rolled over. This year, starting with the Australian open -- even though Kim Clijsters from 5-1 up in the third set rolled over -- more players challenged. Henin-Hardenne is the leader of that pack. She's now beaten her twice. She is the one who is consistently working as hard or harder than anyone else. She is developing the belief. Her only problem is, based on talking to her coach Carlos Rodriguez, she tends to go into her shell after a success and does not have belief in her next step. So that leads us to the final on Saturday.

I know it's not a U.S. player, but what a matchup. It's the kind of match tennis insiders love. It's young. It's talent. Confident athletes who will just scratch and claw until the end and still be friends.

You could pick either player and I'd be happy to argue why they're going win. Henin-Hardenne is slightly better right now. Earlier this year it was Clijsters. They go back and forth these two. That's their deal.

If Henin-Hardenne stays out of her shell and wants it and believes, she is slightly better. It is such a close one. Talk about entertainment. Together they've got every shot and fabulous movement to cover the court better. It's worth anybody who loves tennis watching.

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:44 AM
I'm amazed Pam hasn't died of shock.

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:46 AM
OMG!!!! Is Pammy going to jump on Justine's bandwagon now? LMAO!!!!!

i agree, though, it could be a great match and could go either way

I think Kim could have the advantage in the nerves of steel dept though. but I love both a lot so we will see.

fammmmedspin
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:31 AM
Why was it all so difficult for serena now when she was firm favourite last time pam wrote? 20/20 hindsight? Didn't she see Serena play when Amelie actually managed to play tennis? Nice of her to welcome a non-Williams final but she seems a bit too happy about it. I suppose you can't say what you really think working for US TV.
I thought it would be close but if Pam thinks its Justine, my feeling it will be Kim is obviously right......

disposablehero
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:45 AM
She did a fantastic job of not picking a winner.

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:56 AM
She did a fantastic job of not picking a winner.

that's exactly what I was thinking :)