PDA

View Full Version : H2H:One of the Belgians will graduate from the Bridesmaid list. Who will it be?

Tennis Fool
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Kim leads 7:3
2001-03-05 Indian Wells Hardcourt R32 Kim Clijsters (BEL) 1-6 6-4 6-3
2001-05-28 Roland Garros Clay SF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 2-6 7-5 6-3
2001-06-18 's-Hertogenbosch Grass F Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) 6-4 3-6 6-3
2002-01-07 Sydney Hardcourt QF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 7-6(5) 6-2
2002-01-14 Australian Open Hardcourt QF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 6-2 6-3
2002-05-13 Rome Clay SF Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) 7-5 6-2
2002-11-04 WTA Championships Indoor Hardcourt QF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 6-2 6-1
2003-01-06 Sydney Hardcourt SF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 6-2 6-3
2003-02-10 Antwerp Indoor Hardcourt SF Kim Clijsters (BEL) 6-2 7-6(3)
2003-05-05 Berlin Clay F Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL) 6-4 4-6 7-5

Analysis: This should be a beautiful and hard fought match. Kim has all the power while Justine has all the play. I think that if Kim keeps her nerves to a minimum she should overpower Justine. However, with Serena's exit, she now holds the title as favorite. How will this affect her?

Pick: Justine in three

King Lindsay
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:53 AM
The numbers aren't in her favour on dirt.

disposablehero
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:55 AM
On Hardcourt or Carpet Kim generally destroys her. On Clay or Grass, its a roll of the dice.

Tennis Fool
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Yes, but she's won their only two Slam matchups, including Roland Garros in 2001.

King Lindsay
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Yes, but she's won their only two Slam matchups, including Roland Garros in 2001.

True, but she never should've won the RG 2001 match.

I think Justine has a good chance, but this is the biggest match of her career and against her biggest rival (yes, I know Venus has a better H2H against her, but Kim is her countrywoman). Justine might get tight out there .... she got tight in Berlin and still won though....

It's too close to call for me. I'd be happy for both... though maybe I'd like to see Justine do it, since i think that Kim will have more chances in the end.

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:18 AM
All correct, but add in that Justine will have to come back from her semi and I think the odds are something like 60-40 in Kim's favour. Justine's playing very well though and if she wins she will truly deserve it.

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Maybe Kim will give her the match. Lazy bitch!

Freewoman33
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Don't nobody start to get on me because I have no respect for her.

jenglisbe
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:14 AM
Well, the victory a few weeks ago could be huge in terms of this final; Justine knows she can beat Kim, and Kim could be intimidates as she knows Henin is great on clay and has just beaten Serena. If Kim has the belief that [Kim] can win, she will. If she psyches herself out by thinking Justine is the superior player on clay, then Kim will end up conceding the match to Justine.

Other, smaller factors include nerves (both players have been known to choke, and both were tight in spots of their SF matches) and stamina (did Henin use up too much mental and physical energy in the SF? Has Kim played too much tennis since she has played every day because of doubles?).

Game on...

Freewoman - who are you saying is lazy?

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Well, the victory a few weeks ago could be huge in terms of this final; Justine knows she can beat Kim, and Kim could be intimidates as she knows Henin is great on clay and has just beaten Serena. If Kim has the belief that [Kim] can win, she will. If she psyches herself out by thinking Justine is the superior player on clay, then Kim will end up conceding the match to Justine.

Other, smaller factors include nerves (both players have been known to choke, and both were tight in spots of their SF matches) and stamina (did Henin use up too much mental and physical energy in the SF? Has Kim played too much tennis since she has played every day because of doubles?).

Game on...

Freewoman - who are you saying is lazy?

Yep that'sn what I'm worried about too, In Kim's mind henin is the favorit so Kim won't have nerves about being the favorite as in her mind she isn't. So that could let her play free and take an under dogs attitude, but on the other hand she oculd get psyched out by it all and concede to Henin. I don't think the Berlin match will play much of a factor in Kim's mind, it was really close Kim could have won, it's a new day a new title, so I don't think the Berlin match will mean much.

Oh and the numbers were in Serena's favor to, but we all know what happened there.

irma
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:29 AM
I hope kim plays a relaxed doublesmatch today:)

I am mostly worried about the 2:0 in final from justine so the mental egde from kim is not there imho

Ambrosia
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:39 AM
In more ways than one, Kim is favored to win and I predict she'll beat Justine in 3 hard fought sets. It's going to come down to nerves in the end and Kim is mentally tougher than Justine IMO.

per4ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:30 AM
after all this years results of Justine, I wouldn't say Kim is mentally tougher.

seeing_red
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Justine might just pull this off...

~|Naomi|~
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Justine might just pull this off...

Justine is the favourite.

I hope kim plays a relaxed doublesmatch today
Kim & Ai won 6-1 6-4, there in the 2nd doubles grand slam final together :bounce: And Kimmie is in the doubles top 5, the first ever Belgian to do so :bounce: And a finalist in both doubles and singles. Well done to Kim & Ai :bounce: :bounce:

I think that was quite relaxing, not too tight, but a good warm up for tomorrow to keep her rhythm flowing and to practice serving.

Experimentee
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Justine has the advantage on clay, but Kim won their biggest GS match at RG. Kim was close to winning in Berlin, and although Justine has improved her mental strength i still think Kim is better mentally and shes a great fighter. The mental will make all the difference in this match. I pick Kim in three sets.

Majo
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:36 PM
If Justine plays the same game as she did against Serena, I think it will be very hard for Kim... Still I think Justine will be more nervous, because she wants to win so hard, and that's an advantage for Kim. I hope this will be a nice battle, and may the best girl win!

Tennis Fool
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:28 PM
*Bump*

matthias
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Hopefully Justine, she deserve it more!!!

Gandalf
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:50 PM
I think Justine is the favourite. She has won tight matches this year (to Lindsay in AO, to Seles in Dubai, to Kim in Berlin, and twice against Serena),
and seems mentally stronger than ever before. Kim has played well all year, but she couldn't win against Venus or Serena and lost a close match to Justine.

I hope Kim will win, but Justine would have to suffer a meltdown from the Semis if that is to happen.