PDA

View Full Version : Depressing to see Serena Interview!!!

spencercarlos
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:04 AM
I just downloaded it from Roland Garros Site... a 8MB file

If someone wants to have it tell me...

Serena Cries while talking about the crowd, and admit that Justine played well and deserved to win.

I really love her attitude but make her feel like this or any player who is playing this kind of important match, just sucks. I hate french crowd forever..

Brandon85
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:05 AM
no it proves to me what a sore loser she is! she is a bad sport and does not deserve to be in the final.

Havok
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:09 AM
OMG, it was the best interview ever. Serena crying, and actually realizing that she's gonna lose someday or another. AND SHE ACTUALLY CREDITED HER OPPONENT FOR WINNING THE MATCH. and her crying was a little crappy, it was like a few tears here and there, and with serena being an "actress', it coulda all been fake. LMAO, j/k. GO JUSTINE!!!!!!!!!!!!

spokenword73
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:20 AM
For some reason I can't download interview...I read where Serena was crying, but did Serena also accuse JHH of "lying and fabricating" :eek:

Tarsius
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Saw part of it on EuroSport News. It really doesn't make me happy that she had to lose, but even she admits Justine was the winner. I dont hold anything against Serena for crying. Thats her privilege. She fought a good match and the result hurt. Its natural.

For some reason I can't download interview...I read where Serena was crying, but did Serena also accuse JHH of "lying and fabricating"
None that I heard, from Serena anyway.

Burberry
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:26 AM
She needs to learn to accept a loss!!!
And also she needs to accept the fact that "WE" don't want to see her winning all the time!!!

Astro Jetson
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:28 AM
At first I was very moved, but then I clicked on the interview of Serena from two days ago ... and I have to say I like the cocky Serena more.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:29 AM
We do. Many of us do.

We don't. Many of us don't.

Not the rest of the world thinks like you.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Best Serena interview ever. ;)

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:32 AM
I'm genuinely sorry Serena was so upset but I thought her interview was a tad melodramatic - all that stuff about having to fight all her life. I'm sure she has had some struggles but did her mum die slowly in agony when she was a little girl and leave her to raise brothers etc etc? No. So you could make an argument that Justine's struggled more if you really want to get into it (which I really would prefer they did not!)

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:34 AM
BTW, good on her for acknowledging how well Juju played.

Bezz
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:35 AM
i felt sorry for serena when i saw the interview, when someone cries and gets emotional like that, its not normal, she didnt cry when she lost b4 to Henin or mauresmo, so this meant more to her. There is no need for someone to cry after a match, i felt sorry for martina when she lost in 99 even though i wanted her to lose, she will get over it though, as long as steffi graf doesnt say she will have plenty of opportunites to win it again and others GS's- that kiss of death by graf ruined Hingis's career.

bbypk
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:42 AM
I just downloaded it from Roland Garros Site... a 8MB file

If someone wants to have it tell me...

Serena Cries while talking about the crowd, and admit that Justine played well and deserved to win.

I really love her attitude but make her feel like this or any player who is playing this kind of important match, just sucks. I hate french crowd forever..

Hey!! I was trying to download it but i cant. Can u tell me how u did??

Gracias tio ;)

spokenword73
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:44 AM
Saw part of it on EuroSport News. It really doesn't make me happy that she had to lose, but even she admits Justine was the winner. I dont hold anything against Serena for crying. Thats her privilege. She fought a good match and the result hurt. Its natural.

None that I heard, from Serena anyway.

This was on espn.com:
Williams hit an errant serve as Henin-Hardenne appeared to ask for time. But the umpire didn't see Henin-Hardenne make the request, and she denied doing it, so the serve stood.

"I was a little disappointed with her," Williams said. "It wasn't the turning point of the match, obviously, but I think to start lying and fabricating is not fair."

Wow!! I never heard an athlete call their competitor a "liar"!!

Tarsius
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Hmm, I didn't see that part.

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:51 AM
espn also wrote that serena was affected by the crowd and downplayed juju's play. :rolleyes: I have not seen any proof of that but why should JUJU have given serena another first serve when serena tried to rush Juju and get a cheap point. if I were in juju's shoes I would have said no or would have asked why she went ahead and served and whether serena would have taken the poínt back had she served an ace. serena knows damn well that she should not have gone ahead and served and now she is being theatrical and tainting juju's victory.

maybe she should not have said on more than one occasion that the Charleston loss was insignificant and that this would be different this time. I am sure that juju is not out to do her any favors and does not really trust serena. If I were in her shoes I would not trust serena either.

banana
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:55 AM
could sum1 post the interview transcript? thx :worship:

Terri77
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Oh good lord, she was crying! What is there to freaking criticize. She was entitled to doing a little crying after a tough loss.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:19 AM
What is it about the French that always leaves people crying......hmmmmmmm

Poor Serena.....I don't know if I should watch, but as some of you stated, maybe she needed this......time will tell.

franny
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:03 AM
i too am depressed to see serena's interview. She did not deserve it, she reallly didn't. I know she'll grow stronger but still, this type of treatment is worst than hell. I have no respect at all for the french crowd. First martina back in 99', now serena. I only have one thing to say to the french crowd: SHUT THE FUCK UP!

SerialKiller#69
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Roland Garros atmosphere is really the best when it comes to excitement and energy.

Chance
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:13 AM
so EXCITEMENT & ENERGY = DISRESPECTING A PLAYER

whatever.....

Candy946
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:30 AM
no it proves to me what a sore loser she is! she is a bad sport and does not deserve to be in the final.
Sore losers don't give credit to their opponents.

Candy946
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
OMG, it was the best interview ever. Serena crying, and actually realizing that she's gonna lose someday or another.
Well she is ranked number 1. Why would she tell herself that she is going to loose? She (just like all the other players) are supposed to have the mentality that they can't be beaten.

SerialKiller#69
Jun 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM
so EXCITEMENT & ENERGY = DISRESPECTING A PLAYER

whatever.....

i know it sucks when it's your fave who everyone's rooting against you. but then, i'm the kind of person who enjoys active sports that has a lot of drama and excitement.

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:03 PM
The French crowd was wrong, but I can't feel much sympathy for Serena. It was only a tennis match for god's sake. How would she carry on if she'd lost something important like a political election or a major court case, where livelihoods, people's liberty, the direction of society etc are on the line? :rolleyes: She is paid an obscene amount of money for playing a ballgame that she loves. How can she have anything to cry about?

spencercarlos
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Here is the link so everybody can download it

http://usuarios.lycos.es/petosp/serenainterview.rm

SJW
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:07 PM
jouissant come on u have to feel for ANY player in situations like this

money doesnt FIX emotional turmoil. she has millions of people against her, including in a whole stadium in the city she absolutely ADORES

thats just wrong

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Oh, I do feel *some* sympathy for her, since I'm not totally heartless - just not as much as some of the fans on this board seem to want. I've seen a lot of situations where more sympathy seemed in order, such as when Anna Kournikova was totally humiliated by Justine H-H at the AO and was almost in tears. Not many people here showed Anna any sympathy at all.

As I said on this thread and others, the crowd was wrong to boo Serena.

~RedRose~
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:25 PM
I love what she said in the interview; probably one of the most important things anyone has said - "I've just got to keep on smiling; And I think that if you keep on smiling, things will work out" - It shows how positive she is about the whole thing, and that she will fight to get her way back. also "It's a little difficult. All of my life I've had to fight; So it's just another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win. That's all"

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Yea....the smiling part was good.....also how she said it didn't bother her....then said no....thats a lie. Her voice was cracking too :-( Sad to see her sad but I think it will make some realize that she is just human too despite the bravado she tries to portray.

From my own experience it is those that come off as so "strong" are very emotional people that choose to put up barriers to protect themselves. At least I am, I try to act like I don't care or whatever doesn't bother me, when in the end it really does....I just won't let people see it.

Fantastic
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Some of you guys are criticising Serena's success? You want her to lose a few matches to make you happy? Why would you wish that upon someone? It's like someone wishing you'd get your pay docked every once in a while because you're too good at your job.

Regarding Justine not saying anything to the umpire: Justine was wrong! That was bad sportsmanship. Not that she always or ever displays bad sportmanship, but that was one example of it from her.

I can understand what Serena means when she says that she's had to fight all her life and that she just has to learn to fight this battle too. All minorities should know what this feeling is like. I hate it when a person is singled out when they haven't done anything wrong except be themselves. Serena plays tennis and wins matches. Why is she not allowed to do that without criticism? If Serena hadn't been so dominant, do you think Justine would have worked on raising the level of her game to the same standard that it was in the semi-final?

Experimentee
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Oh, I do feel *some* sympathy for her, since I'm not totally heartless - just not as much as some of the fans on this board seem to want. I've seen a lot of situations where more sympathy seemed in order, such as when Anna Kournikova was totally humiliated by Justine H-H at the AO and was almost in tears. Not many people here showed Anna any sympathy at all.

As I said on this thread and others, the crowd was wrong to boo Serena.

That was different. Anna didnt get viciously booed by the crowd. Everyone supports her no matter what she does. It was her own fault she didnt put up a good effort. Dont even try to compare Serenas situation to Anna's.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Maybe i'm just soft, but I never like when players are excessively booed, I didn't even like Martina but once the (French crowd...surprise :-) got on her, I actually felt bad for her. I felt bad for Mauresmo the other day and she wasn't boo'd but you can tell she was rattled......but having compassion is obviously not something most have on this board unless its for there fav.

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:51 PM
How ridiculous. Crying when you are humiliated and embarrassed and nothing you are doing is working is one thing. Crying after you've put on a good performance in front of the world just because someone boos you is another.

As I said, I do actually feel some sympathy for Serena - as I would for anyone I saw upset and in tears - and have defended her to some extent, but she had a great tournament and made lots of money. Give us a break.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:55 PM
......The sun will come out tomorrow

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Btw my last post was aimed at Experimentee. Wtatour4ever and I posted simultaneously. I actually agree with the latter's post.

apoet29
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
I do feel sorry for Serena. The crowd booing was excessive and it, plus Justine's tenacity, really got under her skin. No player should be treated that way, but the French crowd is notoriously fickle and they booed her the way they have booed other past champions such as ASV and Navratilova. As a minority living in the southern US, I've experienced a lot of racism, but I don't feel that the crowd booed Serena because of the color of her skin. WTATour4ever is right. The French crowds are not kind to most players and are particularly harsh when a player is not playing up to expectations (Mauresmo) or has the audacity (their right) to question line calls (Serena and Martina). Hingis never really recovered from the treatment she received at Roland Garros. I hope that Serena is tougher than that.

I must admit Serena being rattled surprised me. I always thought that she had a very thick skin, and she had to know that the crowd would be pro-Henin. But it's good to know that Serena is not as invicible as she makes herself out to be. I think Serena puts far too much pressure on herself to be perfect all the time. No one can do that. Now that the pressure is off; I'm sure she will have a great run at Wimbledon, as long as she doesn't beat Venus again! ;)

BTW Jouissant, I must also disagree with you concerning Kournikova. I saw that match and Anna was not booed off the court by the crowd the way Serena was. Yes, Anna was upset and thus deserving of some sympathy, but Anna played a terrible match that day and in no way, can her situation and Serena's even be remotely compared.

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:07 PM
I still say that the people who really need our sympathy are those who have been publicly humiliated. I would far rather have been in Serena's shoes yesterday than in Anna's in many of her recent matches. Indeed I would far rather have been in Serena's shoes than in Amelie's after the quarter final.

That is not to defend the French crowd. I have said repeatedly today that they were wrong. But it's not a matter of that. It's a question of when people really need compassion, even if they have brought the situation on themselves in some way.

apoet29
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:17 PM
I still say that the people who really need our sympathy are those who have been publicly humiliated. I would far rather have been in Serena's shoes yesterday than in Anna's in many of her recent matches. Indeed I would far rather have been in Serena's shoes than in Amelie's after the quarter final.

That is not to defend the French crowd. I have said repeatedly today that they were wrong. But it's not a matter of that. It's a question of when people really need compassion, even if they have brought the situation on themselves in some way.

I see your point, but I don't see how you can say that Serena was not publicly humiliated as well by being booed by a large crowd. If that isn't public humiliation, then I don't know what would be considered public humiliation.

Yes, Anna and Amelia have been publicly humiliated by their recent losses. Anna, in particular, must have been devastated by her loss in Virginia. However, I do believe that there are different types of public humiliation. There is the public humiliation brought upon oneself and then there is the public humiliation brought on by others. It's not really fair to say that Serena is less deserving of sympathy because she played a well-fought match and picked up a hefty paycheck. When a crowd is loudly booing you and wants to see you lose, then that is humiliating no matter what the payoff may be.

Serena deserves the equal amount of compassion that Kournikova and Amelia have been given for the recent setbacks. While I don't believe that the crowd was racially motivated, they clearly wanted to see her lose. For that, she deserves the same compassion that Anna and Amelia deserve for their self-inflicted wounds.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:23 PM
Btw my last post was aimed at Experimentee. Wtatour4ever and I posted simultaneously. I actually agree with the latter's post.

ahhhh.....makes sense now :-)

As far as the French.....remind me never to go there.....but seriously I thought Paris was the city of love. You guys are just brutal.....I think I WILL order Freedom fries next time I go to McDonalds or maybe Rena Fries ....LOL

starr
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:29 PM
Yeah. Paris is the city of love... just like Philadelphia is the city of brotherhood. ;)

Vincent
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:30 PM
I never knew the French crowd are so sucks.:(

~ The Leopard ~
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:41 PM
I see your point, but I don't see how you can say that Serena was not publicly humiliated as well by being booed by a large crowd. If that isn't public humiliation, then I don't know what would be considered public humiliation.

<snip>

Serena deserves the equal amount of compassion that Kournikova and Amelia have been given for the recent setbacks. While I don't believe that the crowd was racially motivated, they clearly wanted to see her lose. For that, she deserves the same compassion that Anna and Amelia deserve for their self-inflicted wounds.

I see your point, too. :kiss:

But I don't call it humiliation when you can still hold your head with pride, as Serena could after such a close match.

Honestly, I feel sorry for all of them...just as human beings who have suffered and were hurting inside at the time, and I think that WTAtour4ever made some good points about Serena (I'm glad to have cleared up that misunderstanding). But I am surprised to see all these calls for compassion for Serena when no one else ever seems to receive much compassion on this board. That was what my post was about. Experimentee's expression of total lack of compassion for Anna was typical of this attitude.

Of course, from another point of view, all of these people are living their dream in a way that the rest of us can only try to imagine. While we may feel compassion for them from time to time, it's hard to take it too far. Anna, Amelie and Serena will all bounce back - well, Amelie and Serena will. I'm not so sure about Anna.

Anyway, sweetie, you owe me an e-mail.