PDA

View Full Version : First Non-American Slam Winner in 3 Years

Iconoclast
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM
The all-Belgian final on Saturday ends a 3-year streak of US dominance in the majors.

Not since Mary Pierce captured the RG crown in 2000 has a player from outside the United States won a Grand Slam tournament. And before that we have to go back to Graf's infamous 1999 triumph over Hingis.

Can't be all bad for the WTA Tour, can it?

Bezz
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:05 PM
I think this is a good thing, i personally am glad there are no americans in the final. I think its about time justine or kim won a GS, they been 2 of the best players in the world and a GS will show it. Nothing against americans, just happier its a european :-).

Dava
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:06 PM
This for me is the most exciting prospect!

Sam L
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:07 PM
I think a little variety is a good thing.

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:09 PM
About time - incredible to think it's been four years since a European won a Grand Slam. And the fact that the last winner was Graf, a player from a completely different generation, shows how little impact the younger European players have had up till now... now if only both Belgians, Mauresmo and Hantuchova could fulfil their promise and claim one Slam each, that would be enough for me. It really would.

jenny161185
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:20 PM
I agree its great that there will be variety amongst the grand slam winners , who know maybe other europeans will win big too this year

TennisHack
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:30 PM
All I can say is, Finally!

Iconoclast
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Of course, you could write a doctoral thesis on Mary's nationality. Although formally French, it's hard to deny her any North American heritage whatsoever. 4 years is probably a more accurate reflection of the total American dominance we have experienced.

Clijsters and Hingis did come awfully close, though. (RG 2001, AO 2002).

Lisbeth
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Wow, that's some statistic and one Americans should be proud of. But tennis is an international sport and I'm definitely happy to see a bigger mix of nationalities up the top.

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:43 PM
The all-Belgian final on Saturday ends a 3-year streak of US dominance in the majors.

You can't be really sure about that.. Before the results of official urine test are made public, that is.. That's our last chance.

Rollo
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Of course, you could write a doctoral thesis on Mary's nationality

LOL. That earned my chuckle for the day Iconoclast. Thanks:)

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:36 AM

Not since Mary Pierce captured the RG crown in 2000 has a player from outside the United States won a Grand Slam tournament. And before that we have to go back to Graf's infamous 1999 triumph over Hingis.

Can't be all bad for the WTA Tour, can it?

Don't speak too fast because:

since 2000, only a Williams have won Wimbeldon and since 1999, only a Williams have won the US Open. So it would be monumental if an European can break that stranglehold because no American has been able to.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:39 AM
I'll be darned surprise if neither Williams will win the Wimby and USO this year.

polishprodigy
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:40 AM
This final shows that the depth in women's tennis is improving...nothing close to the men's ...but steadily improving.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:44 AM
This final shows that the depth in women's tennis is improving...nothing close to the men's ...but steadily improving.
The depth is improving? I'm not sure that I would call numbers 2 and 4 competing in a grand slam final to be a show of depth ;)

Monique
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:52 AM
LMAO, Rebecca, I was about to post the same... The depth remains quite strong around the top 15 but very weak below that... The top 4 seeds made the semis in Australia... Petrova is the one crashing the party when she took out Venus, otherwise the same players would probably battle it out again for the French title...

seeing_red
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Let's hope for this trend to continue

kell
Jun 6th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Instead of focussing on race, lets just hope the most deserving players win, who have been working the hardest :) . When will it be Australia's turn? :sad:

LeonHart
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:03 AM
LMAO, Rebecca, I was about to post the same... The depth remains quite strong around the top 15 but very weak below that... The top 4 seeds made the semis in Australia... Petrova is the one crashing the party when she took out Venus, otherwise the same players would probably battle it out again for the French title...
You mean VERA!! ;)

Im glad there's no Americans, we get so many American-player coverage i get tired of it...

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM

I thought that she took out capriati.. and Zvonreva took out Williams??

Monique
Jun 6th, 2003, 03:23 AM
sorry guys, my bad ;) :)! what I meant to say is that if Venus were playing the semis (and great part of the reason she was not is due to her lack of matches on clay), the same top 4 players that made the final rounds in Australia would be playing in Roland Garros... which clearly indicates that the gap between the top players and the others is still very large...

Lisbeth
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Instead of focussing on race, lets just hope the most deserving players win, who have been working the hardest :) . When will it be Australia's turn? :sad:

For the women, I don't know, but I reckon Todd and Lleyton will slug one out in the next few years! We did have that Pat-Mark US Open final even though it feels like a hundred years ago!