PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts: some mixed feelings.

Astro Jetson
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Just saw the match on video, saw the interviews on the RG site, read the articles on the match and one thing is certain: this will be a turning point! Especially the emotional interview of Serena after the match will play a huge factor on how she is perceived in years to come. You can already see in the articles more sympathy for Serena. And it will certainly continue. When you look at the Serena after the Amélie match and the Serena in today's interview you see two completely different persons. And the emotional Serena of today will melt the hearts of many former "haters". To me it doesn't make any difference at all, because she was already my number 2. And I even have the suspicion that the tears were more because of her loss in a grand slam then because of the public.

That said, I do think the public had no class in the third set. Cheering for missing a first serve is way over the top. And it is not just in this match alone, but also in the Antwerp final Venus-Kim the crowd was a disgrace. To me Oracene is 100% right. No etiquette. And then to think that the Belgians never are cheered against when they play in America.

Even worse, I think the behaviour of the crowd takes away a lot of Justine's win, because there are already some people writing that it affected Serena's play. Could be, but Serena nevertheless crushed Amélie in front of the same type of crowd.

Then something about the hand raising: Serena did it in the first set and Justine got another first serve. Justine raised her hand in the third, the umpire didn't notice it and Serena didn't get another first serve. Although it wasn't at a crucial stage and no other player would have done it (certainly not Serena), I wished Justine had pointed it out to the umpire, because this incident will give more ammunition to the Justine haters. And I'm almost certain that Serena noticed the raised hand and chose to serve anyway. Justine didn't shake her head and wasn't asked anything.

Finally:
Justiiiiiiiiiiiiine!!!! You rock on clay!!!!!! It was like Charleston revisited! That first set was amazing! (you even could have done it in two sets again)
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :sad:
Go win Roland Garros now! You can do it!

auntie janie
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:42 PM
Good post. :)

But I am not as optimistic as you are that anyone who can't stand Serena, such as, apparently, many posters here, will change their minds.

But casual fans who root against her just because she always wins (the way I did against Steffi when I was ignorant of her greatness ;) ), may see today that she is a human being like anyone, and not a tennis machine. And they may soften towards her inside their hearts. I hope so! I think she is a great kid. :hearts:

Astro Jetson
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:02 AM
What I expected did happen. Serena apparently has won over many hearts and Justine is called by many a cheater :sad: . I wonder how this incident will affect Justine in the final. I hope it doesn't one bit and she will display her most spectacular tennis in the final. Go Justine!
Is Justine ever gonna get rid of the label???

lizchris
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:11 AM
I am pretty sure that a great deal of Americans who didn't like what Justine did will remember at the US Open in August. I wold have thought many of them would have forgotten Lleyton Hewitt's disgraceful attitude against James Blake in 2001, but they have not.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Yeah 4 sure this will certainly b remembered at the US OPEN!