PDA

View Full Version : Watch the hand: re-run of semi's on ESPN at 7

Bella
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Was it raised before or during Serena's serve? If it's clear, then we'll see it this time because we know it's coming. Tape the moment.

I'm curious to see it again.

disposablehero
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:39 PM
I haven't seen it, and I am curious. What I really want to see is Serena's serve. Does it look like she intentionally netted it or not? If it wasn't intentional, shame on her for complaining. If it was intentional, then Justine showed very poor sportsmanship.

Bella
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Right. Which one is putting one over on us?

Rocketta
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Well I saw it the first time and Serena saw Justin's hand up way before she made contact but she was in her service motion so she finished her serve but immediately looked at the umpire and asked for another first serve. What does it matter if Serena saw it or not. Justine knew she asked for time so if asked she should've said so?

disposablehero
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Well I saw it the first time and Serena saw Justin's hand up way before she made contact but she was in her service motion so she finished her serve but immediately looked at the umpire and asked for another first serve. What does it matter if Serena saw it or not. Justine knew she asked for time so if asked she should've said so?

Well, here is the issue. Either Serena didn't respect Justine's request and thus didn't deserve an additional serve, or she did honor Justine's request and Justine used low-end gamesmanship to face a second serve.

faboozadoo15
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:04 PM
to me it looked like justine's little hand went up during the motion. HOWEVER- serena somehow saw it (bc she said she saw her hand go up), and she missed the serve. the umpire didn't see juju's hand bc he was watching serena and NOT CONTROLLING THE CROWD which was making tons of noise at the time. serena really had no business serving with that much noise anyway...

croat123
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:15 PM
yes, justine's hand went up as espn showed it in slow-motion, but serena was already well into her service motion and couldn't have seen it until after she served as she was looking up at the time

per4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:18 PM
what I really don't understand: how can you not stop a service motion :confused: I'm sure you can let the ball fall...

smally
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Sometimes it's hard to stop when u're already in motion. Watch when players are on the run to
return a shot. Even when out, u still hit it anyway. So i can understand Serena's position.

LeonHart
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, Justine had her hands up, but sort of at the last second she held it up...she didn't want to play in such a noisy atmosphere.

o0O0o
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:25 PM
SERENA SAID SHE SAW IT.

End of discussion.

She tried to pull a fast one on Justine and when she missed it she begged for another chance. Puh-leaze Serena.

TennisHack
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Well, ESPN is simply going to repeat its coverage from this morning, so we'll see it "live".

Lelu
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:11 PM
But Serena won that game, anyway. Are we here to judge Justine's sportsmanship? If I were Justine and saw that Serena served despite me raising my hand and then she was trying to get a re-serve because her ploy didn't work, I'd be really pissed off. The truth might as well be that Serena DID serve despite seeing Justine's hand up to get an easy point.

Tarsius
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:39 PM
But Serena won that game, anyway.
END OF DISCUSSION

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:07 AM
excellent post lelu and dh.

and I highly doubt that serena would intentionally net a serve after she hits it. she would know that intentionally netting it and asking for a new first serve is risky. if she saw juju raise her hand why not stop? also on the other side of the court is juju standing and how is she supposed to know if Serena just tried to pull a fast one on her or if she truly was messed up by the request to wait. All JUJU knows is that she requested that serena stop and serena served WHILE THE CROWD WAS MAKING NOISE. Serving while the crowd is making noise is already a strange choice as a server. At best it is DUMB because it affects your concentration and AT WORST it is unfair to your opponent as she cannot hear how the ball comes off the racquet and probably she is not ready or distracted. And serena won that game.

so from Juju's pov it is hard for to really know what is going on but after Serena dissed her after Charleston why would she trust Serena. Also Serena missing a first serve would not seem unusual at all to me cuz she had missed a ton of them already.

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Yeah I saw that....it disappoints me that Justine tried to act like she didn't know what Serena was talking about. But ultimately it made little difference in the result of the match.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:09 AM
during which game did this happen?

Rocketta
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:24 AM
But Serena won that game, anyway. Are we here to judge Justine's sportsmanship? If I were Justine and saw that Serena served despite me raising my hand and then she was trying to get a re-serve because her ploy didn't work, I'd be really pissed off. The truth might as well be that Serena DID serve despite seeing Justine's hand up to get an easy point.

Serena didn't win that game! It doesn't matter in the sense of the match because Serena clearly stated the match didn't depend on that one incident and it didn't. Now if this is a discussion about whether Justine is a poor sportman well then it does matter, I guess. If Serena had won that game she would've been up 5-2, she was never up 5-2 in the third.

Hagar
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:37 AM
I watched the match and I actually thought that Serena wanted a new first serve because the crowd made too much noise (they were rude). I did not see anything particular about Justine's behaviour.