PDA

View Full Version : One thing remains...JUSTINE played great!

o0O0o
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Despite all the bitter, get-over-it crowd nonsense (and that crowd was not very rude at all, they were in fact cheering for Serena even after she questioned calls up until she gave the cold hand-shake), one fact remains: Serena didn't beat herself today.

Justine certainly took it to her. She really unraveled a bunch of winners from all over the court and sliced her way through Serena's backhand.

Good job Justine! :wavey: Even Mary Jo said that if Serena says she lost the match because she was playing bad, she'd be lying. And from what I hear Serena said that Justine played great, so thankyou Serena for finally showing some respect in an interview.

Despite all of this...

...go Kim! :hearts:

tenn_ace
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:43 PM
agree... love that girl! You go, dear, in the final!!! :kiss:

katrientje
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Justine played some of the best tennis I've ever seen from here and I feel a bad but she doesn't seem to get the credit she deserves, only b/c the crowd misbehaved.

Martian KC
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:47 PM
The one in a half of superb tennis Justine displayed was amazing! I'd never seen someone that dominated Serena like that before.

XMan
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:48 PM
completely agree

For once I agree wit Wertheim:
"The Williams family does things its own way, and I have to believe not a whole lot of scouting was done. Their attitude is, I'll win if I'm supposed to win, and I'll lose because I don't hit my shots. The opponent is almost irrelevant -- but Thursday that was not the case."

fleemke≥
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:55 PM
You were great Justine and take that trophy you deserve it :)

Brαm
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yeah, she played GREAT tennis :D:D

I hope she also wins next Saturday; what a great fortnight that would be for the little Belgian bombshell ;);)

Allez Justine!!!!!!! :bounce:

gladysharon
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:02 AM
I am so impressed with Justine, she played great...she did dominate Serena in certain parts of the game, she was able to catch almost all of serena's shots all around the court...she runs so well around! Justine is more stable on the court than serena that's for sure!

Go Justine! Try your best to beat Kim in the finals! Your dream & promise to your mother is finally within your grasps! Make your mother proud Justine! Your fans will be behind you in every step of the way! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

DunkMachine
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:04 AM
5o why do you create multiple threads with the same bullshit. Noone disagrees Henin played well.

You can Shut the Fuck up now

jenny161185
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:18 AM
lol at dunkmachine come in and check the amount of threads about how well serena played after she wins a match

Schalckske
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:20 AM
5o why do you create multiple threads with the same bullshit. Noone disagrees Henin played well.

You can Shut the Fuck up now

:wavey: dunkmachine,

i just need to know : are you the twinbrother of hinquit ??

c2
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:30 AM
DUNKMACHINE! I was waiting for your subtle, yet effective post! You never disappoint !

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:00 AM
wertheim is showing his bias. serena already know how juju plays. he is just looking for an excuse to explain how THE GREAT SERENA could lose to that little pipsqueak juju. OMG, I guess she did not do her scouting cuz we all know that had she done so she would have beaten her 2 and 2. :rolleyes:

FUCK OFF WERTHEIM!

Doc
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
IMHO it is a combination of Justine playing well, and Serena playing beneath her top level.

Serena is usually leader on Aces in every grand Slam, she hasn't been this year at RG. And that reflects a decline in her previously awesome serving. In this match, Justine led Serena on AVERAGE first and second serve speeds!

163 - 156 kph 1st serve
136 - 126 kph 2nd serve

Justine is very strong for a small un.

Justine also had fewer UE
68 - 79 unforced errors.

Perhaps Serena used up all her concentration taking out MoMo.

Anyway Justine played amazingly.

Hagar
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Serena said in her press conference: She deserved to win. We know how difficult it is for Serena to give credit to her opponent, so this statement says it all I think.

Oizo
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:16 AM
Despite all the bitter, get-over-it crowd nonsense (and that crowd was not very rude at all, they were in fact cheering for Serena even after she questioned calls up until she gave the cold hand-shake), one fact remains: Serena didn't beat herself today.

Justine certainly took it to her. She really unraveled a bunch of winners from all over the court and sliced her way through Serena's backhand.

Good job Justine! :wavey: Even Mary Jo said that if Serena says she lost the match because she was playing bad, she'd be lying. And from what I hear Serena said that Justine played great, so thankyou Serena for finally showing some respect in an interview.

Despite all of this...

So true. :) :worship:

PhoenixStorm
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:26 PM

Despite all of this...

once again you reveal that you dont know as much about tennis as you pretend. Justine played great in the FIRST SET. The rest of the match was crap. Unforced errors up the wazoo, multiple breaks, and serena choking up 4 3 30 love on her own serve. Sorry but its never pretty when a player chokes. Serena served like crap. Justine served well but then served like crap in the third as well. Obviously you watched another match if you thought that was great tennis. Maybe you should go watch a men's match to know how tennis should be played.

WF4EVER
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I didnít watch the match live so the first thing I did was watch the third set from 3-2, since it is alleged that all the controversy began after Serena broke and was serving for 5-2.

I saw where Justine held up her hand, Serena served and then asked for another first serve because as she said Justine was holding up her hand. I also noticed that Justine said nothing when Serena asked for the first serve again nor did she confirm that she had held her hand up. After watching it a few times I wondered why Serena had served despite seeing Justineís hand up; I donít have to wonder why Justine was silent about it, tho. After all, Serena missed the serve.

I have to admit that I was biased before I actually saw it Ė I wonít say which way- and after watching it, I canít help but think that both players were equally responsible. But thatís a dead issue, IMO, because Serena shrugged it off and continued serving anyway. Subsequently she was broken. I canít honestly say that that point caused her to be broken because she was up 30-0 on her serve at the time as opposed to being on break point.

In retrospect I find that point unworthy of any lengthy debate and certainly not the reason why Serena lost that match.

I finally watched the whole match and it is my honest opinion that Justine just outplayed, outpsyched, outsecond-served Serena point blank. In fact Justine shouldnít even have lost that second set except she eased up off Serena at the most inopportune time. Justine looked and played the best all around in the semi-finals.

From the very beginning of the match I could hear the crowd roaring for her. While I do agree that Serena was booed in the third set it was not consistent and they eventually settled down and allowed the match to continue. Case in point, when Serena broke back at 5-4 in the third there was loud cheering for her after each point she won.

Justine, plain and simple, just did not allow Serena to bully and manhandle her as sheís accustomed to doing or as she did so splendidly against Amelie. One of the commentators said that Serena went out against Amelie expecting the crowd to support their own but that she was taken by surprise when they supported Justine the way they did. Maybe. Maybe Serena expected that she would once again have the support that she did before the quarterfinals. I see no racism in their support if thatís the case. And this surprises me even more because Serena won in front of a more hostile crowd at Indian Wells!

Frankly, I believe blaming the French crowd is sour grapes because I consider them tame compared to the Indian Wells crowd. I also expected Serena to be experienced and mature enough to deal with a pro-opponent crowd, but she clearly buckled under the pressure. Justine wouldnít allow her to have her way with her and it was obviously very frustrating to her. Plus she made her work extremely hard to earn her points in the absence of her serve which has always carried her well.

I feel sorry for Serena but itís time for her to grow up and realize that (1) itís not all the players out there who are intimidated by her (2) sometimes you actually have to earn your victories Ė especially when your big sis is not at the other end of the court, and (3) yes, she can blame herself for not stepping it up when she was truly challenged.

Frankly I think the crying was because she lost the match and her bid to win her fifth Slam in a row, so she shouldnít blame the crowd or the clay or Justine holding up her hand. She just lost and didnít get her way and thatís what babies do when they donít get their own way: they cry!

I expect to see a more mature Serena defending her Wimbledon title.

Diya
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:39 PM
In the first set she was just mind blowing ! And then to come back from 2-4 0-30 down in the third set ...WOW
I was really shocked to see her forehand and it actually won her more points than her much talked about backhand :eek:

XMan
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:45 PM
In the first set she was just mind blowing ! And then to come back from 2-4 0-30 down in the third set ...WOW
I was really shocked to see her forehand and it actually won her more points than her much talked about backhand :eek:

It has always been this way, Justine said it herself. But people talk so much about that backhand because it's fascinating to watch and well performed. But her backhand is less powerful then her forehand.

c2
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:15 PM
wf4ever - excellent post

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:24 PM
So justine decided to ease up in the second set so serena could win it? Please that is so much bs. Serena earned that second set and outplayed justine to win it. Just like justine outplayed serena to win the first. The third set was clearly in serena's hands and she choked it away. Her serving was crap and thats what lost her the match. Justine was serving like crap as well but she pulled it together before serena could. Face it serena should have won that match but she choked. Everyone can choke even grandslam champions.

tennischick
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:31 PM
:worship: WF4EVER :worship:

apparently we saw the same match. ;)

LeonHart
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:32 PM
So justine decided to ease up in the second set so serena could win it? Please that is so much bs. Serena earned that second set and outplayed justine to win it. Just like justine outplayed serena to win the first. The third set was clearly in serena's hands and she choked it away. Her serving was crap and thats what lost her the match. Justine was serving like crap as well but she pulled it together before serena could. Face it serena should have won that match but she choked. Everyone can choke even grandslam champions.
Naww..I don't think the set was Serena's hands even when she was up 4-2, remember at 4-2, both Justine and Serena found it hard to hold serve, losing their serves at love...

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Naww..I don't think the set was Serena's hands even when she was up 4-2, remember at 4-2, both Justine and Serena found it hard to hold serve, losing their serves at love...

sorry but when you are up four two 30 love there is no excuse for the losing that set except for choking your serve away. I guess the match wasnt in kims hands either when she was up 5 1? Serena has the best serve in womens tennis and there is no excuse for her not serving out that match. none. she choked. the crowd was nasty yes but she has dealt with far far worse crowds. justine picked up her game yes but still there is no reason not to serve it out. she let her nerves get to her you could see it on her face no matter what she says about "never getting nervous" sorry maybe robots never get nervous but people sometimes do, even her.

Mr. Man
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:52 PM
:) Cybelle.

lizchris
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
It is without argument that Justine played a great first set; the last two sets were medicore by both players, but Justine took advantage of Serena's bad serving and that is why she is in the final. She played Serena better in Charleston beasue at least that match was won in straight sets.

jenny161185
Jun 6th, 2003, 05:58 PM
lol

the cat
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM
WF4EVER, you make alot of solid points. But how is Serena equally resposible for the Henin hand incedent? Their entire careers both players play 2 after the returner puts his or her hand up. Serena had a right to question the Chair Umpire as to why she wasn't getting a first serve, which is the norm in that situation. Then the crowd got involved against Serena, which was wrong. Serena didn't deserve that. But she also could have played better and not crumbled under the pressure. She is human afterall and she unfortunately let the crummy French crowd get to her.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 7th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Despite all of this...

she sure kicked kims butt all over the court. Justine is now the second best player in the world.

CiCi Bonus Baby
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:02 AM

Despite all of this...

the bit about justine playing well is true.
the bits about the crowd and the emergence of post-match respsct is crap.

VS Fan
Jun 8th, 2003, 01:17 AM
I didn't think I would EVER agree with anything that
o0O0o would say, but this time he is absolutely right.

Serena was hitting what she thought would be winners at many times in this match, but Juju would return them and catch Serena flatfooted.

Did ANYONE notice that Juju's average first AND second serve speeds were FASTER than Serena's??

Justine has been working on her game and it is paying off.

I am a big Serena fan but she was rather rude at the end of the match. She headed straight for her chair on the OTHER side of the net and shook hands with Justine with NO eye contact, not at the net but almost at her chair. She started packing her bag, then remembered that she had not shook hands with the chair umpire.

I have not seen her act this badly since she lost the quarters of the US Open to Lindsay in 2000.

I hope she watches the film and sees how bad this looks.

WF4EVER
Jun 8th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Cat, the reason I said Serena was equally responsible was because Serena served the ball despite seeing Justine's hand up.

Let's be honest here, if I were Justine and I had my hand up and Serena saw my hand up and still served, there is no way on God's green earth that I would defend her getting another first serve. No way.

Serena should not have served in the first place. Justine could have admitted that she had her hand up but she certainly didn't feel compelled to since Serena chose to serve and subsequently missed.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 8th, 2003, 11:31 PM
Five Zeros sure did flee this thread and the board once justine dismantled his girl kim and made her look like a second rate junior player. Is kim still the second best player in the world because she sure is in her home country.

theultimateone
Jun 9th, 2003, 10:27 AM
WF4ever,
You are full of shit just like Henin and her other supporters.

Hagar
Jun 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Terrific tournament for Justine; she deserves to be the champion.

per4ever
Jun 9th, 2003, 12:48 PM
WF4ever..great post, great attitude.

I wish all tennisfans were like that :)