PDA

View Full Version : Seriously now. Will today's events keep you from watching Saturday's final?

MarcusRock
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:41 PM
I'm a Williams fan and yes what happened today DID suck majorly but I'm still going to watch on Saturday, hope for an exciting match and be happy for whoever wins their first slam event. At the end of the day it's just tennis and I'm not going to get my brain all twisted over this. What about you? Will you boycott the final or not?

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Seriously now. It's going to be the first grand slam final I've actually felt excited about since Australia 2001.

Boycotting? Ooooh. That'll send them a message :rolleyes:

irma
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:47 PM
yes why not? :)

if I would not watch because of the crowd then I had not watched since years anymore

and the us open neither anymore.

JackFrost
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:48 PM
Why should I boycott the final?
Ive got nothing against Serena and Venus, but Im glad to see a grand slam final with other players after four Williams-Finals in a row.

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:52 PM
I don't know, but now it definitely slips down on my priority list. I have a lot of things to do on Saturday, so I might just opt for something moer important or exciting.

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:52 PM
No reason not to, since both Clijsters and Henin had nothing to do with the events of today. Serena has simply been awakened to the fickle nature of the French public - one minute they're lauding your champion qualities, the next they unite in a mob of hatred. It happened to Hingis, it's happened to her (although I doubt it'll become a recurring dislike as it did with Hingis for years afterwards).

Cariaoke
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:53 PM
Right now... I don't think I'll watch... because the French crowd has no one to boo. ;)

errr... I might change my mind... the pleasure of Justine getting her ass kicked my make me feel a little bit better about what went down today. GO KIM! :bounce:

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:54 PM
Though, it gets amusing now, because one of these chokers will now have to win it, even if they both choke this time..

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:56 PM
Hmm... judging by several posts around here, it would seem that many disgruntled Williams fans are going to tune in just to get a little schadenfreude out of seeing Clijsters thrash the woman who dared to dethrone their hero. I hope for a more equal contest (even though I'm split over who to support; Henin is more deserving of the title but I wouldn't want Clijsters to lose two RG finals in three years).

starr
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:57 PM
LMAO!!!

"Still" watch? This is the final I wanted all along. I'm for sure going to watch it all. I have had zero interest in the last few Slam women's final. This is bliss.

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well, no, I decided. I won't watch it live. I will just tape it. I am not that interested to be that impatient not to wait few hours, before I am done with now more important things. And when it is taped, I'll be able to fast-forward all stupid NBC commercials..

I wonder though, if I am receiving NBC signal ( i.e., if my cable receiver is set to their channel ), but my TV is off, do I still contribute to their ratings?

bmxbandit
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:04 PM
yes bajangurl...it was bad. ugly to watch and it was a sad day for tennis.

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:07 PM
If you haven't tallied up the posts. That's 3 times 'ys has told us she won't be.

I'll counteract that by saying yes I will be watching ;)

one more time...

JoeyWinson3.0
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna watch it but... I'm neither way about who wins cos I don't support either player.

vs1
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I'm ALL BEHIND Kimmie now. She's got class and she's sweet. I hope she serves Justine some bagels. I want Kim to OWN her again!!! COME ON KIM!!!

Mase
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Yup, going to watch.....

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Out of interest, does ys support any player, either female or male? I've seen no sign either here or in the men's forum that he (I think it's he) has any regard for a player of any description.

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:27 PM
The number of Williams fans who have suddenly become converts to the Cult of Clijsters really is astonishing, LOL...

TonyP
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Today's fan reaction is being blown way out of proportion.

The fans at RG have been much worse at other times, specially in '99 against Hingis, when they started booing her the very first time she questioned a line call.

It seems beating Mauresmo in one of the earlier rounds is not the way to endear yourself to French tennis fans.

But don't forget, they also booed Pierce loudly when she didn't do well there.

I like France very much, but at times their tennis fans leave something to be desired.

But anyone who blames Serena's loss on the crowd has to be either dreaming, of assuming that Serena has no capacity for adversity. Almost any Davis Cup match features much more rowdy crowds and people just lean to live with it.

Serena lost because Juju outplayed her, pure and simple. People can make up all the excuses they want,but Serena simply didn't have it today.

G1Player2
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Tony P you sound ridiculous. I think Justine Henin outplayed Serena in most of the match but Serena also did the same thing to Henin. The crowd DEFINITELY did affect her and she admitted it in her interview. That is one of the reasons she cried. Serena served with a point to go up 5-2 and the crowd came down on her like gangbusters. they boo'd when she made faults and everytime she questioned a call(all 3 were right) she was bombarded with shouts. 2 of those points were pivotal and they went against Serena. Kudos on Justine's win but anyone says that the crowd didn't affect Serena is BOGUS. Even Justine has admitted the crowd was too harsh.

Dava
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Anyone who boycotts the final is not a fan of real tennis. This is going to be a good one I hope. If ita anything like the Berlin final it should be a treat.

TennisHack
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Are you kidding me? I'll be watching and taping it! I agree with starr, this is the final I dreamed of all along so of course I'm watching! Kim is my #1 favorite and of course I want her to win, but Justine might have the edge. She is better on clay, no doubt about it.

On a slightly different note, glad to see the majority of the people who voted in the poll said yes. There was an interesting disucussion about being able to separate tennis from your faves in the men's forum downstairs.

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:57 PM
The crowd DEFINITELY did affect her and she admitted it in her interview.
Amelie was affected by the crowd in the QF. Didn't hear her fans whining about that now, did you?

Rocketta
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Where the option

No, I won't watch cause I have a charity Golf event to work and I was going to tape it but I don't like either player enough to do that option?

Well that's the one I would've picked. :)

selesfan
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:04 PM
I'm ALL BEHIND Kimmie now. She's got class and she's sweet. I hope she serves Justine some bagels. I want Kim to OWN her again!!! COME ON KIM!!!

I agree! I've always liked Kim a little more than Justine and I am hoping she can win. I think Justine will have the momentum and confidence going into the match but I am hoping Kim can win it. I will be watching, I love tennis. :)

per4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:06 PM
it's funny to see all those frustrated serena fans who now want to see Justine slaughtered by Kim.

Incredible how hard it is for some people to accept a loss :rolleyes:

I'm definitly going to watch!! GO JUSTINE kick some ass :D

selesfan
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:07 PM
The number of Williams fans who have suddenly become converts to the Cult of Clijsters really is astonishing, LOL...

I can't speak for all Williams fans but I am rooting for Clijsters because I honestly like her, she is a sweetie. I would think most Williams fans would want Justine so Kim won't get to #1. ;)

Crazy Canuck
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:10 PM
I'm going to watch in the hopes that EVIL Justine loses! She programmed the crowd to boo! It's t rue! She also kicked Serena in the ass on her way off the court. It's true! I saw it with my own two eyes!

In truth, I have to work, and will come back and watch the match taped. Then I will come on here and watch the sour grapes still being spat out like they never have before.

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM
In truth, I have to work, and will come back and watch the match taped. Then I will come on here and watch the sour grapes still being spat out like they never have before.

Only it will be even funnier - Belgian fans will fight each other here..:)

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Belgian fans will fight each other here[
I think the Belgians have already won.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Only it will be even funnier - Belgian fans will fight each other here..:)
I'm sort of hoping that something will happen in the final so that the Kim and Justine fans will start to fight, and the Willie fans will pick sides. Great comedy!

o0O0o
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:18 PM
What's more amusing is that all the Williams fans were rooting for Petrova before Serena lost. They just NOW like Kim?

Whatever, I don't care, I would probably do the same thing anyway. But to answer the topic, this is a dream final! Of course I'll watch it.

ys
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I'm sort of hoping that something will happen in the final so that the Kim and Justine fans will start to fight, and the Willie fans will pick sides. Great comedy!

I agree, that'd be great!

Martian Willow
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I'm going to watch it because I like tennis.

DunkMachine
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:22 PM
May Henin suffer a horrible defeat so that the RG crowd gets utterly dissapointed in her.

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:23 PM
I'm going to watch in the hopes that EVIL Justine loses! She programmed the crowd to boo! It's true! She also kicked Serena in the ass on her way off the court. It's true! I saw it with my own two eyes!

:D :D :D :D Too funny Becca, too funny.

vaiva
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I will definitely watch it.

I've been waiting for it to happen too long. And I also expect to see a tennis crowd, not a bunch of football fans, if you know what I mean

BigB08822
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I am not going to watch the final, not because of what happened but because I don't get up that early. haha!

If Monica had made the final I would be up watching, but I will just get up and read the news online to see who won. Best of luck to both ladies.

maccardel
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I will watch to see Juju or pupu as I will now refer to her as....get her ass trashed and I will not watch long enough to make a rating pt...I will keep switching back n forth. I am gonna tell my peoples the match is gonna be on at 8pm....so no one watches.....bitter? yes.

I hope pupu is sent rolling over the clay.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:36 PM
I will watch to see Juju or pupu as I will now refer to her as....get her ass trashed and I will not watch long enough to make a rating pt...I will keep switching back n forth. I am gonna tell my peoples the match is gonna be on at 8pm....so no one watches.....bitter? yes.

I hope pupu is sent rolling over the clay.
God forbid that you give them a rating point!

Dont' choke on that grape :cool:

Crazy Canuck
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:39 PM
May Henin suffer a horrible defeat so that the RG crowd gets utterly dissapointed in her.
Oh no! I hope that you dont' choke too!

maccardel
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Oh no! I hope that you dont' choke too!

Oh go away u infectious disease!!! May they miraculously find a cure for ur kind. Then u will be no more.

Are you going to keep following me around in every thread?

U made ur point in the zillion others and I was replying to a question....u seem to want a fight and if u notice, once again, I say what is on my mind and if u and everyone else want to resort to calling me names so be it but stick to the subject at hand...the only name calling I did is call that that girl that stole the match pupu......that is it.

So beat it!!!!! and hit a wall while u leavin....

Chance
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:42 AM
wow the backlash.

I'm a Monica,Venus and Serena fan but I also like Justine, so I'm going to watch the final and hope Justine wins.

gweeny
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:48 AM
I will probably tape it rather than watch it live. But I bet the ratings will be lower. Because many non-tennis fans, watch the slams finals because of the Williams sisters playing each other (esp black non-tennis fans)

Good luck to both. It was not justine's fault, and since she had promised her mom that she would try to win the French, I am rooting for her.

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:48 AM
I have no reason not to watch the final. What happened today with the French crowd has no bearing on my love for tennis so of course I will watch.

CC
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Although today Justine was "Miss win at all cost" I hope she beats Kim. (I'm disappointed but I still like her. I'm weak.)

She had a certain look in her eyes which tells me she's ready.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Oh go away u infectious disease!!! May they miraculously find a cure for ur kind. Then u will be no more.

Are you going to keep following me around in every thread?

U made ur point in the zillion others and I was replying to a question....u seem to want a fight and if u notice, once again, I say what is on my mind and if u and everyone else want to resort to calling me names so be it but stick to the subject at hand...the only name calling I did is call that that girl that stole the match pupu......that is it.

So beat it!!!!! and hit a wall while u leavin....
ARE YOU A GOVERNMENT AGENT?! :mad: