PDA

View Full Version : Williams fans: No Excuses

topspin
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I and many people are very proud of the way Serena came back and almost came close to defeating the top contender on clay. This says a lot about her determination, fighting spirit, and will to win. She can definitely win Roland Garros again next year.

To my fellow Serena or Williams fans please don't taint Justine's victory. Whatever factors were involved Justine won the match. Popular belief is Williams, Serena, or Venus fans are unable to accept defeat of their fave or faves. Williams fans always have excuses whenever Serena or Venus lose. Williams fans always say it was Serena's or Venus's play which were the sole reason of their losses and not because of what the opponent did.

Plus, in any tic-for-tac response it is the Williams fans which are going to come out looking as the bad guy. We are already considered the bad guy anyway but the image will be reinforced.

One of the reasons that we are feeling the backlash from the other fan bases is due to statements from the usual few smack-talking Williams fans. "Justine doesn't have a chance. Serena is the guaranteed victor or champion. Serena lost in Charleston only because she was off that day. Nobody stands a chance with a Williams in a grand slam match." Unfortunately, the rest of us who didn't make such bold predictions have to hear it from the other posters or eat crow.

How about we talk about what Serena and Venus could do to improve their overall game including their game on clay? Serena will have to come up with some kind of strategy to defeat Justine on clay.

Mary Carillo and Mary Joe kept harping on the point of the need for Serena to improve her footwork in the setting up of shots and the moving into them.

What other suggestions of improvement does anybody else have?

ans
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:56 PM
thanx, finally a Williams fan being gracious in defeat!!
I'm incredibly happy Justine won, but I just watched serena's interview and it was touching. Finally she showed true emotions and showed herself honest and even sweet. I liked that

per4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM
superb post :)

I'm sure Serena will be back..she's a champion. I think it's really sad that some people can't accept it that another player can be better on a certain day :)

BK4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Well it was clear to day that Serena was off in the first two sets...due in part to Juju's aggression and Serena's bad footwork...but I think Serena's major problem is LACK OF PATIENCE...

I also think that she needs to stop paying lip service to her net play and put it to work...so many times today...I was screaming come to net...lots of time Juju would float back Serena deep groundies and instead of coming to net and hitting the normal volley or a swing volley she would allow the point to restart...

I agree about no excuses...but you cant deny how she seemed to fall apart once the crowd turned hostile...that was the most unfortunate part of this match...because the drama was already high..before they started acting up...

Trajan
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:04 PM
I agree that Justine totally deserved to win. She had a game plan and executed it perfectly. I am a huge fan of Serena & Venus and this was a great match for the most part. I was extremely disappointed with the end of the match, as far as the crowd is concerned. I do agree with Brandi Price that the crowd showed a lack of class. But congrats to Justine on her win.

DunkMachine
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Noones making excuses and that victory is allready tainted. Now I'm a bit worried about Serena.

Ans
You weren't touched, you were rejoicing at the fact that she didnt seem so inhuman anymore.

STFU you flemish fry eating phucknut

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:18 PM
I agree, Justine played superb and Serena didn't.

I'm pretty sure most of us are just angry with what transpired there, which is why I am upset.

BK4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Bottomline is she lost...and what role the crowd played in her collapse in the end we will never know...Usually she deals very well with hostile crowds...today she didnt and thats what she needs to worry about more...not the loss...but how she lost the plot...because she has alot more hostile crowds to deal with in her future....

Juju played very well, but I felt that Serena was just starting to find her groove...she played a great sixth game and played great the first two points in the seventh game and just completely fell apart from there...I'm just angry because the crowd has left us with alot of what ifs...

I cant wait to hear what crazy richard is going to say about this fiasco..LOL

per4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:24 PM
I'm sure the williams sisters have many fans like you..too bad that some individuals always give the williams fans a bad name.

topspin
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:29 PM
Well it was clear to day that Serena was off in the first two sets...due in part to Juju's aggression and Serena's bad footwork...but I think Serena's major problem is LACK OF PATIENCE...

I also think that she needs to stop paying lip service to her net play and put it to work...so many times today...I was screaming come to net...lots of time Juju would float back Serena deep groundies and instead of coming to net and hitting the normal volley or a swing volley she would allow the point to restart...

I agree about no excuses...but you cant deny how she seemed to fall apart once the crowd turned hostile...that was the most unfortunate part of this match...because the drama was already high..before they started acting up...

BK4ever, you are right about the behavior of the crowd. That is one part of the game Serena has no control over. But, she does have control on what she can do to better her game. When she has that kind of control, she can silence the crowd as she did in her quarterfinal match with Amelie.

You made some good points and ideas on things she can do next time in a match with Justine.

Serena said Billie Jean King and Zina Garrison showed her during the Fed Cup there were a LOT of areas in in her game she could improve upon. Maybe, she should seek more advise from them as to how to go about in bettering her overall game.

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:37 PM
classy stuff here!! great serena fans you are. :D

Mr. Man
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Nice post Topspin.

Yes, Serena needs to stop hitting easy shots in the net and like she said work on her first serve. And I do believe the crowd got to her head and she couldn't concentrate, She needs to learn how to block that hater shit outta her head (which she has done before, But not today.) Love you Serena. Off to Wimby. :)

topspin
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Nice post Topspin.

Yes, Serena needs to stop hitting easy shots in the net and like she said work on her first serve. And I do believe the crowd got to her head and she couldn't concentrate, She needs to learn how to block that hater shit outta her head (which she has done before, But not today.) Love you Serena. Off to Wimby. :)

BK4ever and Mr. Man, I agree Serena was somewhat shocked by the actions of the crowd..

Let's hope the events of today fuel the fire of desire within her even more. Her attitude should be like "You know there was a concentrated effort from a number people to sabatoge my goals and dreams. Just for that I am going to make a concentrated effort from this moment on to win every slam I enter."

Jakeev
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Only yesterday I said that someday a player will come along and outhit Serena on court.

Justine definitely did that today. Today was the first time I think I have seen Serena forced into so many errors.

But, doing that from here on out is not going to be an easy task........

Dava
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:46 PM
Justine played well, and Serena made mistakes, the rest is insignificant. It was hard for Serena to except the crowd, but she still managed to get back to 5 all.

Serenas main problem today was at the net, she could't volley for toffee. The forehand broke down a lot in the first set as well.

fleemkeģ
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Great post Topspin :worship:

1jackson2001
Jun 5th, 2003, 11:51 PM
I agree with Topspin. I wanted Serena to win...but I am also very happy for Justine. The commentators talk about Justine wanting to win the FO for her mom was very touching. I'll be rooting for Justine in the finals. :)

Good luck Justine. :D

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:09 AM
serena and venus both make a lot of errors when the opponent is on and they are worried. their game plan is to try to always dictate play and that means errors. when players like Amelie come out and choke forever then serena has no problems but late in the match against Amelie and even against LIndsay on clay in SC serena immediately starts spraying the ball. but of course lindsay and amelie both started choking again and let serena get her last game or two that she needed. juju almost did that too today.

jenny161185
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM
well said topspin and giving credit to their victor,if only there were more fans like you

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Any loss is tough to swallow for a fanatic....especially in a Grand Slam. It's different being on the "other end" of a loss for a Grand Slam before the final is even played. It hasn't happened to us Williams fans in over a year.

However, we reserve the right to be bitter ;) as everyone else is when their faves lose.

And you all reserve the right to kick us while we are down ;) as we all do to you all when your fave loses.

Truce :)

Terri77
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:18 AM
No excuse. Serena didn't play her best but I was disappointed with the crowd and Justine. On to Wimbledon!

topspin
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Seerna and Venus may be getting the chance to work with Billie Jean King and Zina Garrison again....

Williamses Are Leaning Toward Playing in Fed Cup

By Rachel Nichols
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 3, 2003; Page D02

PARIS, June 2 -- Both Venus and Serena Williams have been tentatively positive about playing the Fed Cup quarterfinal matches on July 19-20.

"Is it in Washington?" Serena asked this week at the French Open. When she was told that the matches would indeed be played at the FitzGerald Tennis Center in Rock Creek Park, she said, "Oh, boy, I would love to."

That is far from a formal commitment. But it is an encouraging sign for organizers, who were unsure whether either sister would be willing to add matches to her schedule, especially during the busy stretch immediately following Wimbledon.

Working in the event's favor is that both Williamses have an affinity for the District, where an older sister lives, and both like working with U.S. Fed Cup team captain Billie Jean King and assistant captain Zina Garrison.

The four seemed to be laughing constantly during first-round matches in Massachusetts this spring, and Serena has said the experience definitely improved her game.

"I had such a great time. I was able to learn so much and just grow," she said.