PDA

View Full Version : Serena's CRYING in her interview!

tennisIlove09
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:57 PM
because of the fans... :sad: :sad:

Mase
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Thats horrible...... keep your head up Serena, they were WHACK.

WhatTheDeuce
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:05 PM
omg im watching this now...poor serena :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

i feel terrible...

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:07 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

I just saw it. It's just toally awful. The crowd should be ashamed.

Keep you head up high Serena, you did WONDERFUL. :)

Keith
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:07 PM
I listened to her interview. It was sad. Was that the first time she cried in an interview? I feel bad for her, but It was shocking to hear it. In a way, I did not mind seeing a very different side of her. Usually I see the 'business as only' side of her. With the extreme highs of winning come the extreme lows. Today was one of those days. No doubt Serena will be eager once again.

BK4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM
Those are the breaks...wipe those tears and move on baby girl...there is another slam right around the corner that you need to get your act together for...

inge
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:11 PM
it's very sad indeed, but if you behave like Serena does and say 'did Justine beat me?? oh, i thought i've beaten myself', you can't expect the public will support you when you're having a difficult time. I hope the public will show more respect in the future, but i hope the same from Serena.

maryjane
I wanted Henin won the match but for wat i saw on the court 'cos of the crowd I was for serena...french r totally stupid!

jenny161185
crowd = too far

stijntje
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:12 PM
can I listen to of see the interview somewhere on the internet?

katrientje
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I watched it a minute a go and it almost made me cry.
Eventhough I am obviously happy justine won, I feel bad because of the way the crowd treated serena. She is a great champion and no one deserves this...
It was a wonderful match with some of best tennis I've ever seen in my whole life, but the public... I would be ashamed of myself if I was part of that.

hinquit
Even playing an unseeded player Serena could have lost the match
today, let alone Henin because the crowd was out of control.
Serena could not make even one shot due to the yelling in the
stadium.
I never knew many Belgian fans are idiots and stupid.

venus_envy
Sorry but I felt as much sympathy for Serena as I did for Koby when he cried after the Lakers loss...none. This is a game, and on any given day you can be beaten. I don't recall Serena shedding any tears for the multiple people that she destroyed in her quest to become #1. She needs to get past this and move on. :rolleyes:

chicagofan
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:14 PM
That interview made me a Serena fan. She was never angry, just disappointed. She showed a side I've never seen.

Diya
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:14 PM
I think the French Crowd did have the last say ! They surely didn't forgive her for those comments she made about them ! :sad:

tennisIlove09
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:15 PM
can I listen to of see the interview somewhere on the internet?

www.rolandgarros.com

inge: did you hear Serena? She said "She played well today, she totally deserved to win"

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:17 PM
The crowd should be very ashamed of their behavior today. This tennis match was not decided by the players, but by the crowd, and it's a shame. Even though I wanted JuJu to win, I would have rather she won by beating Serena, not by THE CROWD beating Serena, which is what happened today. This was a very sad day for me, and for tennis.

Cariaoke
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:17 PM
wow, venus_envy... I can't believe you'd treat Venus' sister that way. How sad it must be to be you.

Anyway, I watched the interview here: http://rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/200306051950438ffe3277304482cb00256d3c00616fea.htm l

It is horrible... even if you're not Serena's fan... you have to feel something for her. I was literally on the verge of tears because it's not even the loss that caused her to cry... but the savage treatment she's received by fans over the years. It's finally taken it's toll on her... Indian Wells and now this. A human can only take so much. :sad: :sad:

BK4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:18 PM
i think Serena is more upset that she let the crowd rattle her than she is about the actually loss...

I bet none of the haters will point out that Serena said that Justine played well and deserved to win...

irma
she was so nervous the whole match. I am not suprised it all became to much for her

serena is a champion, she will recover!

I think the "serena domination is over" wich some journalists already said is crap!

auntie janie
Stupid crowd. So much like Indian Wells! :p:p:p:p:p

I was rooting for Justine, my favorite player, but the way the fans acted -- and even Justine said they went too far -- SEVERELY dampened my enjoyment of Justine's big moment. :sad:

venus_envy
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM
wow, venus_envy... I can't believe you'd treat Venus' sister that way. How sad it must be to be you.

Anyway, I watched the interview here: http://rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/200306051950438ffe3277304482cb00256d3c00616fea.htm l

It is horrible... even if you're not Serena's fan... you have to feel something for her. I was literally on the verge of tears because it's not even the loss that caused her to cry... but the savage treatment she's received by fans over the years. It's finally taken it's toll on her... Indian Wells and now this. A human can only take so much. :sad: :sad:

Oh Puleeze!!! I refuse to feel sympathy because someone cries at a loss. The girl has won the last 4 grandslams, racked up millions in the bank and is still number one. Am I supposed to cry just because she lost one match...Get real. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile people in the world are starving with not even a fraction of what these athletes have. I think I will save my sympathy for something more important if you don't mind.

vaiva
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:56 PM
I did not watch the interview. I probably won't. It's too sad.

Before this match I was hoping Justine can win because I am a big fan of hers. But a few thousand idiots in the crowd ruined the match for me. My favourite player won and is into the RG final and I feel no joy. In fact, I feel empty and crushed having witnessed that human stupidity indeed has no limits.

All I can say, take heart Serena! I expect a champions response from you. Win the next slam. :)

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Venusenvy- The point is that Serena didn't cry because she lost. She has lost before, and she hasn't cried. If you watch the interview, you would see that Serena was crying because she was so hurt by how the crowd acted today. It obviously rattled her. Please don't just assume that Serena is crying just because she lost - because that is not the case at all. When I watched the interview, it was so sad that I almost felt like crying too!

Gallofa
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:07 PM
The crowd at Roland Garros has always been like that. They take parts, they hiss and boo and support one player over others. It has happened before, they supported Steffi Graf over Hingis or Sanchez-Vicario in an overwhelming manner. Reporters often say it is because RG crowds know their tennis, I think it is because they are rude, but it is one factor at RG, it has always been. They liked Justine today, they might boo her tomorrow. You have to learn to play with that.

Hingiswinsthis
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Serena should've asked Martina Hingis advice about the unclassy RG crowd when Martina was there earlier in the week;) hopefull RG 99' can now be justified. Its ashame for a crowd to just completely be inconsiderate in this high level match. That's what happens when you are the world's #1. but as for today, JUSTINE was better than Serena.

spencercarlos
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Sorry but I felt as much sympathy for Serena as I did for Koby when he cried after the Lakers loss...none. This is a game, and on any given day you can be beaten. I don't recall Serena shedding any tears for the multiple people that she destroyed in her quest to become #1. She needs to get past this and move on. :rolleyes:
She is not crying about her loss, it was the dirty actions of the french crowd. At some points even yelling before Serena was going to hit her shots, not to mention applauds after faults and errors its just to sad, Kudos for Serena for been there and trying her best, she could have easily lost this match in straight sets, but she fought hard.

Glenn
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:09 PM
OMG I genuinly feel sad now...
I mean, she's a great player with a great personality, she shouldn't let those fans get to her.
They were rooting for Justine just because she's the underdog, that's all, it's nothing personal against Serena, you'll see that in the final, they'll be rooting for Justine!

lee station
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:17 PM
I watched it a minute a go and it almost made me cry.
Eventhough I am obviously happy justine won, I feel bad because of the way the crowd treated serena. She is a great champion and no one deserves this...
It was a wonderful match with some of best tennis I've ever seen in my whole life, but the public... I would be ashamed of myself if I was part of that. I agree with your opinion, the match was awesome and the players really fought each other. I didn't like the crowd though.

BigTennisFan
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the match yet. I only saw the announcers chatting after it was over. And listening to Mary the others, I got the impression that the crowd was an embarrasment.

After seeing Serena's interview, I don't know if I even want to watch it now. It's too bad because I really like Justine and clay is her best chance to beat Serena. I'm sorry that Juju's big fans had her victory tarnished like that.

Oh well, I personally have never been the biggest fan of RG anyway.

stijntje
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Okay, I admit...
The french crowd passed the limit of sportmanship!!!
But..............................................
When the booing started at 4-2, 30-0 in the final set for Serena, didn't the Serena fans the same at 4-3 when Justine started to serve. They were not as many as Justine fans, but they did...

spencercarlos
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:23 PM
OMG I genuinly feel sad now...
I mean, she's a great player with a great personality, she shouldn't let those fans get to her.
They were rooting for Justine just because she's the underdog, that's all, it's nothing personal against Serena, you'll see that in the final, they'll be rooting for Justine!
Its good to be supporting Justine Glenn there is nothing wrong with that, but they Yelling before Serena was going to hit the ball and appaulding loud the faults is simply a disgrace...

I hope your favorite player never gets to that point and be in Serena today´s position.

Cariaoke
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM
hey thanks kyk and pet for saying that... the site is going really slow for me.

Just because this French crowd has done it before DOES NOT MAKE IT RIGHT! Now, you know I have to make a parallel to race right about now... lemme go with Jews... ok... so what if only a few people thought the extermination of Jews was wrong while the majority thought it was ok and used the excuse 'oh, that's just how Germans are...', would that make it right to exterminate Jews because that's how Germans are?

Comments like 'that's just the way the crowd is' really leave me with a feeling of these people 'don't get it and don't care to get it' type feelings. The crowd might have been provoked by Martina, I didn't watch that match, but they were wrong to boo, period. It's wrong to boo your own players, like they did Mauresmo. It's just improper and it should not be tolerated. End of story. Stop making excuses for the crowd by saying 'it's the way it's always been'... that shit doesn't fly anymore! Decorum is decorum... I don't care what part of the world you're from. Certain things are UNIVERSALLY understood as WRONG. So take your excuse of 'that's how they are' and stuff it.

DA FOREHAND
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM
She was also bitterly disappointed in Justine's action when she should have gotten a first serve when justine held her hand up, then remained mute when Serena mentioned that.

The crowd acted no diff. than justine, who allez'd everytime Serena missed a shot.

Serena is a champion, she didn't respond the way a champion responds in those type of situations.

I still don't see any indication that this is the end of her domination, unless of course they change Wimbledon and Us Open, surfaces to clay.

Karma's gonna getcha!
Can't believe I'm saying this....GO KIM!

bmxbandit
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:42 PM
yea...that was really sad.

i hate you Justine and French crowd even more.

that was not fair of Justine not admitting she raised her had. Serena actually said she was mad at her. I totally agree.

And French...wow...and they wonder why the rest of the world hates them.

jmp
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:44 PM
I distinctly heard Serena cry when she talked about how hard it is to always fight an uphill battle. Because she is a perfectionist, I believe she was crying out of frustration at herself for not playing her best, not capitalizing on Justine's mistakes, and letting the rude crowd get to her. I was hoping that she was taking the extra time prior to the press conference to cuss, scream, and cry before she had to face the harsh questions. She was reared with the adage "You've got to be twice as good as everyone else to get the same recognition." So, she knows her lot in life and I believe she has the fortitude to handle this type of pressure in the future.

With the help of her family, I think she'll be in good shape for Wimbledon. This is just a blip in an otherwise stellar and promising career.

Lindsayfan
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:06 PM
my commentators said that french crowd is absolutely horrible,and i agree.Justine could win that match also without french crowd's support.and Serena didnt do anything wrong to deserve such a stupid treatment.at the end of match Serena did wave the crowd despite they have been so much nasty to her.I also didnt like Justine's interview at french tv after match,she said something like "Serena won so much,now it's our turn,she must give us some wins" like if serena should leave the scene in Justine's opinion.
and yes the hand thing was an other proof that justine isnt that nice girl...remember when she accused lindsay of faking an injury just to justify her loss? :rolleyes:

and I dont like either of them though,so i'm quite impartial.

JCAP
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:11 PM
The crowd were out of control it was not on! I know im not Rena's biggest fan but the crowd were totally out of order! Hold your head up Serena!

Harju.
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Poor Serena :sad: She was totally humiliated during the match.. The crowd was being jerks.. I hope they did somthing bout it..

saki
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:22 PM
That was a really sad interview. Because I was watching the match in a pub with the sound off, I didn't hear the crowd and just enjoyed the spectacular tennis. I almost feel bad now for having enjoyed watching Serena play when she was clearly so upset.

I think the interview was tricky for Justine too, in that although she wanted to say that the crowd was "too much", she also didn't want to sound unappreciative.

saki
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:27 PM
That was a really sad interview. Because I was watching the match in a pub with the sound off, I didn't hear the crowd and just enjoyed the spectacular tennis. I almost feel bad now for having enjoyed watching Serena play when she was clearly so upset.

I think the interview was tricky for Justine too, in that although she wanted to say that the crowd was "too much", she also didn't want to sound unappreciative.

fleemke³
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Well yeah the interview was sad and imo the public went to far but:

I can't believe that a player is that broken of those 2 games. Maybe there were other personal things (another fight in my live I have to win) that counted here also. The public in Antwerp was even meaner to Venus and that the whole final but she was able to get over it ...

Well I'm glad that Serena showed she was a human being and I appreciated it that she gave credit to Justine this time.

I hope she'll be allright soon ...

Mr. Man
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Oh Puleeze!!! I refuse to feel sympathy because someone cries at a loss. The girl has won the last 4 grandslams, racked up millions in the bank and is still number one. Am I supposed to cry just because she lost one match...Get real.

wow, Your still living in denial, that Vee is not #1 anymore, so you bash Serena. Cold hearted little shit. Refer to the poster who said that Serena isn't crying about the loss, She's crying because her feelings were hurt by the Crowds reaction. I garentee you "Venus fan" that if Vee was crying, you wouldn't be saying what you just said.

Anyways. Most the people in here have said what I would've said. It's aigh't Serena, "Erthang" gonna be okay. :kiss:

mentos
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:30 PM
wow, Your still living in denial, that Vee is not #1 anymore, so you bash Serena. Cold hearted little shit. Refer to the poster who said that Serena isn't crying about the loss, She's crying because her feelings were hurt by the Crowds reaction. I garentee you "Venus fan" that if Vee was crying, you wouldn't be saying what you just said.

Anyways. Most the people in here have said what I would've said. It's aigh't Serena, "Erthang" gonna be okay. :kiss:

KUDOS, Mr. Man! :worship:

Serena has nothing to cry about, but there are those that think her
defeat is something to crow about...check the record, 4 of the last 5...she'll be back & it will be open season on ALL comers...

CapFan#1
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM
I cant take anymore of this pity party for Serena!! WHAT BULLSHIT! You cant act like a bully and then expect everyone to love you.. You cant be aggorant and say things like "when I lose it has nothing to with my opponent but how I play," or " I played like 9000 notches below my normal level", you cant be just out-right disprespectful to the other players on the tour, and not expect a back-lash. The chief complaint about Serena has always been is that she a. makes excuses for her losses, and b. she gives no credit to her opponents after matches. This type of attitude and behaviour will attract you negative attention, and today she felt the wrath of that attention. I am suprized by how niave Serena is. Hopefully she will learn from this experience some humility. She is a wonderful tennis player, but her behaviour is less than great a lot of the time....makes it hard to root for her.

mentos
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:38 PM
I cant take anymore of this pity party for Serena!! WHAT BULLSHIT! You cant act like a bully and then expect everyone to love you.. You cant be aggorant and say things like "when I lose it has nothing to with my opponent but how I play," or " I played like 9000 notches below my normal level", you cant be just out-right disprespectful to the other players on the tour, and not expect a back-lash. The chief complaint about Serena has always been is that she a. makes excuses for her losses, and b. she gives no credit to her opponents after matches. This type of attitude and behaviour will attract you negative attention, and today she felt the wrath of that attention. I am suprized by how niave Serena is. Hopefully she will learn from this experience some humility. She is a wonderful tennis player, but her behaviour is less than great a lot of the time....makes it hard to root for her.
:rolleyes: From a Jennifer fan, MORE than 'nuff' said...I think
downright amusing better sums it up!

Crazy Canuck
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Indeed. The crowd may have gone too far today, but I feel no sympathy for multimillionaire's who just lost a match/match.

Though it's a shame she was hurt... pity is the last thing that I would ever have for her. She's just going to come back now and drop a couple matches the rest of the year, and everybody knows it.