PDA

View Full Version : Lost respect for Justine and the French today

nysaga
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:08 PM
unsportsmanship...cheaters....those are a few words that come to mind.

at 4-2 in the 3rd..Justine raises her hand and then questions why Serena would wanted her first serve to be done over.

Serena didn't lose today...it was stolen

SeReNa
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM
I sooo agree. SHe has gone from one of my favs to my least liked player. There is no room for someone to behave unsportingly and do anything to win. I hope Kim whips her ass and the next time Serena faces her she smacks the ball at her head.

matthias
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:34 PM
omg, get over it!!!

but it is good to see that you already found out the reason why Serena lost - well done :D

matthias
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM
omg, get over it!!!

but it is good to see that you already found out the reason why Serena lost - well done :D

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:50 PM
OMG! DO YOU PEOPLE THINK? Think about it, please calmly think about it. SERENA ADMITTED to having seen her hand go up and consiously chose to serve anyways hoping she would get the serve in and win an easy point DESPITE knowing that her opponent was not ready. THAT IS CHEATING BY SERENA!!! Then Serena has the NERVE to ask for her first serve again since her plan failed and JUJU is supposed to say oh sure SERENA please take another first serve even though you admit that you went ahead and served knowing I was not ready.

I play tennis and believe me, there is NOTHING MORE IRRITATING that a server who does not wait until you are ready or who serves before all doubles players are in the position. THE RULE STATES THAT SERVER MUST, yes MUST wait until the returner is ready. Serena chose not to do that and paid the price. Serena chose not to shake hands and yet you people are saying you have lost respect for JUSTINE!!!!

Unbelievable!!

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:56 PM
OMG! DO YOU PEOPLE THINK? Think about it, please calmly think about it. SERENA ADMITTED to having seen her hand go up and consiously chose to serve anyways hoping she would get the serve in and win an easy point DESPITE knowing that her opponent was not ready. THAT IS CHEATING BY SERENA!!! Then Serena has the NERVE to ask for her first serve again since her plan failed and JUJU is supposed to say oh sure SERENA please take another first serve even though you admit that you went ahead and served knowing I was not ready.

I play tennis and believe me, there is NOTHING MORE IRRITATING that a server who does not wait until you are ready or who serves before all doubles players are in the position. THE RULE STATES THAT SERVER MUST, yes MUST wait until the returner is ready. Serena chose not to do that and paid the price. Serena chose not to shake hands and yet you people are saying you have lost respect for JUSTINE!!!!

Unbelievable!!

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:04 PM
sorry about the double post.

tennisfun
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:10 PM
No wonder you like Justine because you lied just as her. The ESPN replay clearly showed Justine raised her hand while Serena was serving, not before as you claimed. Don't fabricate those lame excuses. But hey. We all know what's your true colour anyway. So no surprise.

Jun 5th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Serena had 79 UES while Justine had 69! You do the math...unless all of y'all here use new math. Seems like Serena's UEs done her in. ;)

Bella
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Tennisfun, the point is that Serena was ready. She served. When the serve was not good, then she wanted to play it over because Justine was not ready or was offering to wait. Does that request make sense to you?

CC
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:17 PM
If I may interject, if you are in mid motion and someone puts up their hand it is going to have an effect.

1. The serve motion had already started when the hand went up.

2. It's hard to stop in mid air, so of course she will still serve the ball. Obviously, the serve didn't go through with much committment as a result of the interferance.

PS, I don't think 79-69 unforced errors is very telling. I've seen people win with a much larger negative.

jenglisbe
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:20 PM
While it was certainly fishy, this one instance did not make the match. Serena was still up a break after that point, and she really could've still won.

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Tennisfun, the point is that Serena was ready. She served. When the serve was not good, then she wanted to play it over because Justine was not ready or was offering to wait. Does that request make sense to you?

As by the rules, if a player is not ready to play, yet the other player initiates the point, the point is already invalid due to the other player. It doesn't matter whether Serena saw it before, during, after, whatever. The point is invalid, and needs to begin from the beginning.

I guess, if Serena was ready after time was called on the changeovers, and Serena served before Justine got there, it would be good then, huh. ;)

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Thank you venusforever! I have been trying to explain the rule in just about every other thread...... But nobody seems to get it! Oh well. This board is more for people that like to argue than tennis fans sometimes..... :sad:

indiadj
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM
unsportsmanship...cheaters....those are a few words that come to mind.

at 4-2 in the 3rd..Justine raises her hand and then questions why Serena would wanted her first serve to be done over.

Serena didn't lose today...it was stolen

let's all make excuses for why serena lost. the fans booing, justine raising her hand during her serve (everyone gets bad call every match, get over it, hell you were up a break), it's all the same. excuses, excuses. just like serena, 'i lose because i don't play well not because the other player beats me'. yada, yada. then she goes and practically stiffs justine on the handshake. yeah, give the fans yet another reason to boo you serena.

serena choked, something i don't think i've ever seen her do before.

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Lost respect for Justine and the French today

Just don't tell them, ok? Promise me that. They'll be really upset. I don't think they'd get over it.

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:15 PM
melanielively - do all 58 of your posts consist of the same message. Repetitive much. And not really that interesting.

E. Blackadder
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Anyone can make mistakes, so can the umpire.

bmxbandit
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:43 PM
serena chocked? you obviously haven't seen the match.

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:44 PM
Oh yes, Henin's gamesmanship was the key factor behind Serena's defeat, wasn't it? Never mind the fact that Serena not only made bad errors but also had some horrible shot selection on important points, or that Henin held her nerve superbly and ignored the crowd controversy going on around her (it didn't help her, it only hindered Serena). Henin didn't do a single thing wrong today as far as gamesmanship is concerned. By contrast, it was Serena who earned her boo at the end by briskly shaking Henin's hand and refusing to shake the umpire's hand.

indiadj
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:54 PM
serena chocked? you obviously haven't seen the match.

i did see the match. serena had a break in the 3 set and she usually never blows advantages like that. absolutely, justine played fantastic and won the match (justine plays serena and venus better than any other player plays them) but i'm just saying that serena usually never lets go of a lead, especially in a grandslam even if the crowd is against her.

anyway, GO JUSTINE!

bmxbandit
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM
again, did you SEE what was going on ON the court?

crowd wasn't against her...they were tearing her apart. and no matter what serena says, that DOES have an influence on you. she left the court crying after the treatment she got.

player2
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:08 PM
Serena didn't lose today...it was stolen[/QUOTE]

Interesting how fans often refelct the player that they
support. Angry, hostile, arrogant people like players
of the same ilk.

Serena was not going to win the match today despite
the service incident. SERENA WAS CHOKING!!!!
The heavy weight of all those arrogant statements just
got to be too much. Yes, I do think she should have
been given 2 serves. But I don't think that was the
turning point.
Justine played well and pressured Serena; something that
doesn't happen very often.

Look, Serena has managed to alienate so many people despite
playing the greatest tennis I have seen from a woman.
Now that takes a lot to do but she has managed to do it.
She should let her play do the talking and that will silence the critics and
gain her the respect she earns on court.

Mrs. Peel
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:11 PM
melanielively - do all 58 of your posts consist of the same message. Repetitive much. And not really that interesting.

like what you have to say has any particular impact...LMAO :rolleyes:

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Both women were clearly very nervous, Henin played an awful game to go down 3-1 and Serena played an equally bad game to hand back the break - this was just before the crowd controversy began. I'm not sure you could say Serena choked, I usually apply choking to actually losing a match from the brink of victory, a la Clijsters at the AO this year. It had been such a closely contested match with so many breaks that a 3-1 lead was never going to prove decisive, and neither did a 4-2 lead either.

I saw Serena's interview, and the emotional display just seemed bizarre. I'm not trying to suggest she wasn't upset, but the way she was doing it appeared a little staged and melodramatic. The crowd definitely got on her back, but the booing and cheering of first-serve faults in the final set was really an extension of the vociferous support they'd shown for Henin right from the start.

I'd still say this wasn't so much an anti-Williams crowd as a fiercely, over-zealously pro-Henin crowd. Don't forget she is a Walloon (is that the correct spelling?), therefore she will most likely have the support of the French public as well as the Belgian fans.

indiadj
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:14 PM
again, did you SEE what was going on ON the court?

crowd wasn't against her...they were tearing her apart. and no matter what serena says, that DOES have an influence on you. she left the court crying after the treatment she got.

again i SAW the match! they weren't throwing stuff at her or rushing the court to beat her up were they? i believe they were still in the stands and serena was on the court. besides, golf and tennis are the most whimpy sports there are. in basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc. the fans can yell, scream, boo during play at players and wave pictures of pam anderson in a bikini behind the basket to distract a player from shooting a freethrow. give me a break. so they booed her! these tennis players and golfers are such whimps!

Hendouble
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Hey, don't have a go at John Inverdale. He has a nice smooth presenting style and wears some truly great shirts when hosting the Wimbledon highlights show, even though Johnny Mac clearly thinks he's too smug for his own good.

John Inverdale
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:23 PM
why, thank you Hendouble
like what you have to say has any particular impact...LMAO
At least I'm saying something different each time. Posting the same message in different threads is called spamming I believe. No one reacted the first time, no one reacted the 58th time. Doesn't make it more interesting or believable just because you posted it more times than anyone else.

On that basis, I would believe Anna more each time she tells me she's "commited to tennis", but it just isn't happening.

maccardel
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:58 PM
Justine and the french stole the trophy simply put. Call it what ever you want but Justine played up to the crowd. Serena was bout to serve and the crowd started then Justine's hand came up. I am appalled at he french .....well what do u do in a situation like this? Come back strong and vengeance will be the Williamses.
Let another run begin at Wimbledon and go throught to 2005...Justine just brought it on herself and I feel sorry for her on the hardcourt season.....hope she can stand up afterwards.......bitch didn't get a birthday present so she had to go out n steal one......is it that bad nowadays that u gotta steal a win.....I have no respect for her anymore. It's all gone. The same way Roland Garros turned my mind against Martina Hingis, it has now done the same for Justine. Yes it's a bias comment....check the avatar.

Halardfan
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:06 PM
I totally agree with criticisms of the crowd, their behaviour was simply unacceptable.

But I think in regards to Justine that incident is a tiny one, and certainly open to interpretation and confusion. Certainly not worth the venom being given to her.

Save it for the crowd.