PDA

View Full Version : Serena won but Crowd and Justine cheated...

Dawn Marie
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:02 PM
It's the only way to beat Serena is by cheating..

I HOPE Justine loses Saturday.

SAD and very deplorable..

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

MAY JUSTINE LOSE because she should not be in the final..

WtaTour4Ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:11 PM
What happened?

"Topaz"
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Speechless!!

Lelu
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Now, Dawn, you said a few stupid things over the years, but this must be the most ridiculous thing you ever produced!

CapFan#1
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM
Serena is a great player and all, but please stop acting like her and making excuses!!

BK4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM
DM it doesnt matter that juju cheated or what the crowd did...the bottomline is that Serena let it get to her and lost her composure...something she has been good at keeping in difficult situation...

I could tell it really affected her, she looked like she wanted to cry when she was serving, even when she was winning...

JonBcn
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:22 PM
What did Justine do that was cheating? I only saw the third set...

kr003
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:30 PM
You're a sore loser Dawn !
Congrats Juju !

DiZZiA
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Allez Justine and the French Crowd!!! evil:

Bezz
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:32 PM
justine didnt do anything that would be considerd cheating, it was the crowd that got on serena's back, it brought back memories of Hingis.

AjdeNate!
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Serena was the one that question, albeit correctly 3 calls. How is it that Justine cheated????? :confused:

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

arn
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM
What did Justine do that was cheating? I only saw the third set...

It was in the third set ;) Apparently Justine raised her hand to let Serena wait for serving. Serena served and asked to replay her first serve but it was not given.

Still, a champion has to get over it, I don't see the differnence with giving a ball in/out that was close to the line.

Diya
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Like player like fans :rolleyes:

Justine WON FAIR AND SQUARE

CapFan#1
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Had Serena committed the suppossed "crime" you would say she was just competing tough, and what a fighter she is, and blah, blah, blah.

Maybe the crowd was so against her because they (1) were rooting for the underdog... which they always do and (2) maybe they were tired of Serena's arrogance! You cant act the way Serena does and not expect to attract a lot of attention, positive or negative. Maybe this will humble her a bit.

This whole thread reeks of sour grapes to me.....

Diya
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Like player like fans :rolleyes:

Justine WON FAIR AND SQUARE

Tennisfan-Mtl
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Why do you alwways have to bring up race ? You're trying to make us believe we're racist when I think YOU are the one to be...Grow up sad looser...

Martian KC
Jun 5th, 2003, 04:59 PM
These people complaining were the same ones that were cheering for the crowd's reactions toward Martina in 99. How hypocritical!

heninrules
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:04 PM

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

Justine won fair and square. she couldn't have done anything with the crowd. you 're talking like she controlled the crowd to act as they did.

btw french open crowds are always like that and serena was always gonna get harsh treatment due to her embarassing mauresmo.

DarkCore
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:04 PM
To call the crowd "racist" is downright stupid and frankly something you should be ashamed of. The French crowd has been great to Serena in the past; it was very kind all week and especially last year when she won. *However*, the French DO NOT like it when a player questions multiple calls (especially in key points in a final set), REGARDLESS of whether the player is right. Michael Chang, for example, was notorious in the 90s for questioning just about every call that was even close. He was usually right, but to discourage the behavior the crowd would ofter cheer against him for a few games. And we know how well Chang is liked...

Again, be angry with the crowd if you want. Argue that they should be happy that the best call is being made if the mark is checked, even if it does interupt play and makes spectating more interupted and/or boring. But *do not* call the crowd "racist" just because Serena is black and she was being cheered against. If a hypothetical crowd cheered against Mauresmo because she questioned a few calls in a 3rd set and was playing an underdog, would you try to say that the crowd was "homophobic"? Of course not. So don't try to use the same idiotic logic when it comes to race. It makes you look stupid.

griffin
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Nothing I've heard about Juju justifies that accusation, but from what I'm hearing about the crowd, they should be ashamed of themselves.

Serena didn't do anything but play her ass off (and that includes the match against Amelie), and that deserves respect even if they are pulling for someone else.

Yak
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:11 PM
I agree! Every fucking time someone says something bad against the fat asses, people bring up the race thing! Puuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhlease! RIDICULOUS!!! Like someone said... Like player like fans!

And I've realized that I don't like Serena just because of her fucked up fans!

All I can say is.. ALLEZ Juju! Go Venus, kick your mothafucking, whinning, fat ass sister's butt in Wimbledon!

Yak
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:13 PM
And as far as the crowd goes, they are always against Serena anyway! I think the only fans she has are on this board! So the crowd cheering against her was nothing new! GET OVER IT!!!

novemberrain
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:21 PM

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

Please note that this is the same person that said Richard Williams' comments towards "the Whites" is NOT racist.

This isn't the 1st time ever that the crowd cheers for the underdog, essentially in her home country, against the unbeatable #1 who's bitching about numerous line calls (which Serena was right to do on all of them... but that's how it goes.)

Bottom line, like BK said, Serena lost her composure in that serve game... with the crowd against her, and Justine cheating with not realizing she raised her hand :p

Serena's always been able to handle situations like this before... which made it strange. However, it's just part of sports. Live and learn... Rena probably would have had this match if she didn't let it get to her.

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:23 PM
I think the crowd should absolutely ASHAMED of themselves. They definitely through their "very respectable tennis fans" title right out the window. Not only were they WRONG, but they carried on way after those point were over. Booing Serena and cheering for every missed shot. That was just totally DESPICABLE.

As for Justine, yes, she was a bad sport. She CLEARLY held her hand up. Sure, the umpire didn't see it, HOWEVER, if Justine was a good sport, she would have admitted to the umpire that in fact she did. It was terrible on her behalf to not say anything, very dishonest.

If the crowd did not get so involved, there is no doubt in my mind that Serena would have won, the momentum was clearly with her.

As for Justine, congrats, she did play well.

GO KIM!! :bounce:

raquel
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Justine won the match fair and square. However the crowd were very hostile. It went beyond just cheering the underdog/crowd favourite Justine, they could barely even applaud any Serena winners, and cheered loudly when she made an error. Martina Hingis got similar treatment in 1999, but she riled the crowd by crossing the net and they got further excited by Steffi's comeback. Serena's treatment seemed unprovoked. I am sure there are many fans at other events like Wimbledon and the Australian Open who would have liked to have seen Justine win that match, and see the dominant player on the tour upset, but the fans would never have booed them like that or applaud any errors. They have more respect for a great champion. I thought Serena did extremely well to not get involved and wound up by the crowd like Hingis did, and I have much respect for her.

Kart
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:25 PM
I was sorry to see the way that Serena was treated. She deserved better.

Glenn
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Serena was ready to serve, Justine held up her hand and asked her to wait, but Serena served anyway, don't know why, but she did.
Then Serena went to the umpire and asked for a new first serve, the umpire said something like: You saw she raised her hand, and still served, so just do a second.
Serena served a second, lost the point, but won the game, so she would have lost anyway!
SOOOOOOOOOOOORE LOSERS! :p

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Here comes justine fanatical fans with more excuses just like when she faked her cramps in the aussie open and before that accused davenport of faking an injury. Now in the french with her gamesmanship crap. I hope kim spanks her on the court, not that I will be watching such mind numbing crap. Their matches against each other suck.

nander
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM
By constantly accusing people of racism, you belittle the fact that racism exists and is damaging to many people. (Frankly you are just giving racists something to hide behind in my opinion)
Today there was no evidence of racism. Anybody with sense must have expected that the crowd would be for a French - speaking Belgian. Also they were probably still hurting from Amelie's failure.
Sure the crowd was a bit unfair, but that is often so especially to the Williams and I was reminded of their treatment of Hingis (Serena's behaviour however was not bad, the 2 line calls were out as shown on TV , as was the fact that Justine held up her hand to stop play and the umpire did not give Serena a first serve... maybe little Justine was too small to see!!).
What is clear however is that Justine did not admit to holding up her hand to stop play..the TV replays are there to show it clearly, she can live with her conscience. I have always thought she was a nasty piece of work, backhand notwithstanding. If there is any justice in this world, Kim should beat her convincingly.
I hope she does. But then life's a bitch.
Unfortunately, Serena played some very silly shots which landed her in trouble from which she could not escape.
But please get a grip about this racism call...it belittles the struggle of people who fought and are still fighting it.

anton
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM
Henin-Hardenne's upset delighted the center-court crowd, and fans cheered even when Williams missed several serves. That was in the seventh game of the final set, when the crowd was annoyed at Williams for questioning two close calls that ultimately went in her favor.

The hostile treatment so rattled Williams that she lost four consecutive points and her serve, leaving her with a shaky 4-3 lead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Her mother and coach, Oracene Price, criticized the fans.

``A lack of class and total ignorance,'' she said. ``Or they just don't know tennis and the etiquette of tennis.''

When Williams hit an errant return on match point, she walked around the net and briskly shook Henin-Hardenne's hand as the crowd booed her. There were more jeers when she headed for the exit.

``She was not very happy,'' Henin-Hardenne said. ``But that's tennis.''

Said Williams' mother: ``She knew this job was dangerous when she took it.''

saki
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:32 PM
I thought both players played some beautiful tennis. I like that Justine seems to bring out the best in Serena. After watching that match, no-one could possibly doubt that Serena is one talented clay-court player possessing speed, touch, finesse, as well as power. So, it's kind of sad to see this kind of thread.

Justine didn't do anything wrong. She wasn't ready for Serena to serve and held her hand up. The umpire should have let Serena first serve again, but he didn't. It was only one point and not even a crucial one (set-point, match point, or even break point) so it seems odd to me to claim that Justine won because of it. :confused:

Nor do I think Justine won because of the crowd. Serena won in Indian Wells which was a much more hostile atmosphere; she won against Amelie in the quarter-finals with the same kind of crowd. And in any case, that's tennis. A player playing at home, or in Justine's case, near home, is going to get some advantage. Justine won't get such support when she plays in the U.S. Open. And, to be frank, Serena really didn't help herself here by making those comments about the French and the war. Personally, I think she was only joking, but she should have realised that such jokes were supremely tactless and been prepared to take the consequences.

That said, this was one of the best matches in a Grand Slam that I've seen for ages. Naturally, I'm really happy for Justine as she's my favourite player and played some gorgeous tennis; but I'm also really glad that Serena played so well too, because it made for a fantastic match!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Serena was ready to serve, Justine held up her hand and asked her to wait, but Serena served anyway, don't know why, but she did.
Then Serena went to the umpire and asked for a new first serve, the umpire said something like: You saw she raised her hand, and still served, so just do a second.
Serena served a second, lost the point, but won the game, so she would have lost anyway!

I swear you are the biggest fool and whiner on this board. There where only two people on that court playing against each other. Serena lost. I didn't. I guess you feel that you won because justine won? Maybe you should get a life and stop living vicariously through justine henin. You probably have a little justine tennis skirt and fake moppet pixie wig you wear around your home. right?

justine played great first set. serena played great second set. They both played like crap third set but serena did have her chance to win it when she was up 4 2 30 0. No shame in this loss, she just has to do better next time on her weakest surface. Playing like she did kim will kick her butt all over the court.

ON TO WIMBLEDON! GO VENUS GO SERENA!

Tratree
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Honestly, to EVEN bring racism into this discussion is utter bullshit. Did Serena just become black at 4-2, 30-0 in the third set??? They didn't boo Serena until she was questioning calls, all the while being up 4-2, 30-0. As soon as she held up play I was thinking, it would be best not to get that crowd riled up, but it happened. They were totally out of it before then and Serena had all the momentum, but it all changed after that. If she can't handle the pressure of a few boos, then she doesn't deserve to win. She had more than enough chances to win, but Justine was the more patient, more consistent player today. Furthermore, Serena should be ashamed of herself for that less than gracious handshake she barely gave Justine. Very cold.

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:36 PM

The Umpire didn't say anything of the sort.

The umpire said, which I heard clearly, "I didn't see it."

Meaning, he didn't see her put her hand up, which she clearly did.

CapFan#1
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:38 PM
I hope kim spanks her on the court, not that I will be watching such mind numbing crap. Their matches against each other suck.

Well their matches are certainly better than Serena vs. Venus, which are basically a contest of who can have less unforced errors and erratic play. Much rather see Kim vs Justine than an all Williams bore fest again!!

mboyle
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Please note that this is the same person that said Richard Williams' comments towards "the Whites" is NOT racist.

Well, of course. That is the way such people (race whiners)operate. Every word a white person says is F###ing racist, but Black people are all little angels above bigotry and hate. All the world's problems are caused by white people according to these losers. I wish they would stop complaining, because they give African Americans and other minorities VERY bad names:o .

irma
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:41 PM
racism was not the reason this time

I don't deny the crowd sucked especially when serena missed a serve or even during points but the french crowd do at more matches not because serena is black or wore a butterfly in her hair but simply that they don't respect the tennisetiquette :o

serena said they did it too in paris indoor and she could handle that, she could handle it in indian wells and more matches

she was nervous all match, never looked comfortable even at 4:2
that's why she lost!

Mase
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Justine just played well, thats the bottom line... it was a hell of a match, she just pulled it out. It could have gone either way. Serena got jeered from the crowd, which was completley uncalled for, but she needed to be able ot get past it and for some reason she couldnt..
Im not sure about this whole cheating thery. Im wondering if this isnt what Justine was thinking. She heard the crowd on that point was still going buck wild, maybe she put her hand up to say hey, Serena, maybe you shouldnt serve right now. Thats one option. I guess she could have put it up earlier, I didnt memorize the point so Im not sure. But Serena served it anyway. So Im just not convinced that was 'cheating'. But thats just my opinion.
If Serena is going to lose to anyone then it may as well be the best claycourter out there, her fans really shouldnt be all that let down.

i heart backhand
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:52 PM
A wise coach once said...

"Winners make adjustments and losers make excuses."

Justine won and Serena lost.

griffin
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:56 PM
You're right. Crying wolf doesn't help.

Know what else? Insisting that there's no such thing as wolves when the sheep keep getting eaten doesn't do much for your case, either.

I don't know what was inside the crowd's mind or heart, but I do know you can compare Serena beating Amelie and questioning a few calls to Hingis' personal attacks and stomping across the net (among other things), and their treatment of Serena was uncalled for and disgraceful.

It may not be "cheating" but it ain't right.

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 05:57 PM
OMG! DO YOU PEOPLE THINK? Think about it, please calmly think about it. SERENA ADMITTED to having seen her hand go up and consiously chose to serve anyways hoping she would get the serve in and win an easy point DESPITE knowing that her opponent was not ready. THAT IS CHEATING BY SERENA!!! Then Serena has the NERVE to ask for her first serve again since her plan failed and JUJU is supposed to say oh sure SERENA please take another first serve even though you admit that you went ahead and served knowing I was not ready.

I play tennis and believe me, there is NOTHING MORE IRRITATING that a server who does not wait until you are ready or who serves before all doubles players are in the position. THE RULE STATES THAT SERVER MUST, yes MUST wait until the returner is ready. Serena chose not to do that and paid the price. Serena chose not to shake hands and yet you people are saying you have lost respect for JUSTINE!!!!

Unbelievable!!

Jun 5th, 2003, 06:04 PM
What are you f"in me? This is the reason why tennis is called whimpy!!! Have you seen the hecklers at hockey, baseball, football and basketball games?!! That's sports. Fan distraction is part of it. Serena has experienced worse than this. You can't blame it on the fans...blame it on her 79 UES!!! ;)

<b>Don't hate the player hate the game.</b>

Bella
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I don't know if Justine's hand was an offer to accept a delay of serve or whether it was a request for a delay of serve, but I do know that at that moment, Serena declined it. She served.

Wojtek
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
I agree with mboyle. Everytime white people say something about Serena or Venus , they are racist. It's really boring!!!!

Congrats Justine.

korben
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Oh please. There was 201 points played and you moan about 1 , that is stupid.

Umpire made mistake as he didn´t see Juju raising her hand.
Still only 1 of 201 of points played. Williams had 201 points to prove she is better ! She couldn´t, end of story.

per4ever
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:16 PM
exactly Bella...Justine asked to wait, Serena didn't...and then she complains about it :confused:

Anyway...I got what I wanted...a magnificent high quality match with (for me) the right winner.
The crowd in Paris should learn something about sportmanship 'though :(

Anyway....you are just searching excuses... Justine is the best player on clay, only some fans are in denial :)

Venus Forever
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Ummm, Can half of you even think that Serena saw Justine's hand AFTER she served. Some people. :rolleyes:

I'm sure she would serve after she saw Justine's hand. :rolleyes:

I don't think this determined the match, but it shows bad sportsmanship on behalf of Justine. She held her hand up, she knew it, and didn't bother to admit it. That's bad sportsmanship whatever which way you look at it. Period. ;)

treufreund
Jun 5th, 2003, 06:19 PM
BELLA WELL SAID! That is just whining from Dawn and others who are just thinking out the scenario and are reacting with their gut and heart and not mind. Seeing Serena beaten is hard for them but Serena not shaking hands was WRONG! And she knows damn well that she could have waited to serve but chose not to. It is no different than when you chose to hit a bad toss instead of catching it but honestly if I go ahead and serve despite seeing that the receiver is not ready I know in my heart that I was trying to rush my opponent and just get a free point. I DON'T PLAY THAT WAY and do not have any pity for Serena. She has won everything in tennis and has to take responsibility for losing. juju did not deserve to not get a handshake but important thing is that she won.

To be fair, MAYBE Serena first noticed the hand go up during her serve and it threw her off but really I do not believe that cuz she could have caught the ball since she is a champion who shoudl be aware what an important point that is. Also JUJU caught her ball toss several times during the RUBIN match and during this match too when her OPPONENT did that little dancing thing or suddenly moved right when JUJU was going to serve. Juju caught the ball every time and even twice in a row when Chanda was receiving and the third time CHANDA did not move cuz she realized that JUJU was not having any of that "distract me during my service motion and get a fault" stuff.

croat123
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:04 PM
yes, the crowd was hostile, but, as a champion, serena has to be able to get over that. she was playing on justine's home turf and a good portion of the crowd was from belgium.

yes, justine held here hand up to stop play and should have given serena two serves, but that did not change the outcome of the match. it is disappointing that she didn't admit it, but serena wouldn't have won the match anyways and that one serve is not the reason she lost.

Hurley
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:13 PM
They didn't boo Serena until she was questioning calls

Bingo.

This smells like karmic retribution for the Hingis '99 fiasco and the crap we (still) get from some Williams fans about that...now the shoe is on the other foot. Doesn't it sting? Now those fans know how we feel.

It SUCKS when a crowd brings you to tears. So next time that happens, remember this. Because I certainly remember '99 and I'm not going to chastise Serena or her fans for feeling the way they do even though Justine is my favorite player.

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:16 PM
First of all - treufreund- as i have said before, JUSTINE RAISED HER HAND IN THE MIDDLE OF SERENA'S, SERVICE MOTION, MAKING IT IMPOSSIBLE FOR HER TO STOP SERVING, BECAUSE JUSTINE RAISED HER HAND TOO LATE FOR SERENA TO STOP. THAT IS WHY, BY THE RULES, SERENA DESERVED A RESERVE, BECAUSE JUSTINE OBVIOULSY ROSE HER HAND. IT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE A QUESTION, END OF STORY.

Alright. I think you ALL need to shut up. This shouldn't be about Serena fans vs. Justine fans. If any of you are TENNIS fans, you should be appalled at the behavior of the French crowd today. There is no doubt in my mind that the crowd, and not the players, decided today's match between JuJu (who I was rooting for, by the way) and Serena. And that is a shame, because who knows how good the match could have been if it had been left to the players? As to Justine cheating, she has been one of my favorite players, and I must admit that I was very shocked when she pretty much lied to the chair. By the rules, Serena DESERVED a reserve, fair and square, and Justine should have done the right thing by admitting that she did, in fact, raise her hand during Serena's service motion. It's only fair.

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:18 PM
DID ANY OF YOU WATCH THE MATCH? IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT JUSTINE RAISED HER HAND AT A TIME WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE FOR SERENA TO STOP SERVING. BY THE RULE SERENA SHOULD HAVE HAD ANOTHER FIRST SERVE. AND THEN JUSTINE TOLD THE CHAIR THAT SHE DIDN'T RAISE HER HAND. WHICH IS LYING, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT SERENA SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN ANOTHER FIRST SERVE. :rolleyes times infinity at the ignorance of some posters:

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:21 PM
and I also agree that Serena shouldn't have done that to Justine (the handshake after the match), and Serena admitted it in her post match conference. Seriously though, it wasn't against Justine. Serena was upset with the crowd more than anything else and just wanted to get off the court. I know if I would have been in that situation, I probably wouldn't have even shaken Justine's hand.

bluepastures
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:24 PM
It's really made me laugh to read some of the above comments, the only person who should be ashamed of herself is Serena, for being such a bad loser and not shaking the umpire's hand. Just as bad as Martina Hingis's behaviour after losing that final to Steffi.

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:27 PM
Serena DID shake the umpire's hand, and they were laughing together after she did. Maybe you turned off the TV before it happened??? :rolleyes:

korben
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:27 PM
DID ANY OF YOU WATCH THE MATCH? IT WAS OBVIOUS THAT JUSTINE RAISED HER HAND AT A TIME ...

Please stop shouting then someone might take you seriously.
And still complaining about 1 (!) point. :rolleyes:

Martian KC
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM

Know what else? Insisting that there's no such thing as wolves when the sheep keep getting eaten doesn't do much for your case, either.

I don't know what was inside the crowd's mind or heart, but I do know you can compare Serena beating Amelie and questioning a few calls to Hingis' personal attacks and stomping across the net (among other things), and their treatment of Serena was uncalled for and disgraceful.

The only difference was that the umpire in Justine/Serena's match actually went down to check marks. While anne-lassure's fatass didn't budge when Martina questioned the one call that unraveled the entire match.

kyk710
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Im sorry if it seems like I'm complaining. I am just upset, and it seems like so many people are misunderstanding what really happened. Sorry if I offended you :wavey:

Serena Enhanced
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Oh Dawn- get over it, girl! As much as the crowd was rude, you know that you are just making u pa story so that you can feel better about someone you don't know losing. One point doesn't make a match you dummy. The crowd was hostile - but that is how the French are. Or maybe they just want to make clothes? I'm not sure. Serena lost today and it's time that you accept it, period. Making accusations like that will only illuminate your own stupidity, inferiority and integrity. Take a big gulp and walk away.

Jeff
Jun 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure I would call Justine a cheater, but it is wrong of her not to aknowledge that she did put her hand up when Serena was serving.

Also, what a champion Serena is too continue to put up a tough fight, force the opponent to play their best tennis, and even when the crowd continues to be against her.

The crowd definetly pissed me off today...they have the right to applaud who they want, but to continually boo Serena for questioning calls that were correct, is rediculous.

Also, Justine played a great match, deserved to win. However, without the crowd on her side at the end, I'm not sure she would have recovered like she did.

ans
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM
hey, you know what? Serena cheated too and she found the perfect way to do so: the silver sparkling bra!! It must have blinded Justine every time the sun shone on it. So Justine made mistakes because of the reflection in her eyes and that's why she lost the second set :p
Sorry guys but poor excuses from your side ask for poor excuses from our side ;)

bluepastures
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Also I think French, and European crowds in general, are a lot fairer than American crowds, who usually are noisy throughout points and often cheer double-faults by their favourite's opponent.

And yes Kyk710 I did watch the match, although it sounds by your comments you watched very little of the match at all.

the cat
Jun 5th, 2003, 08:52 PM
That was very well said by Griffin! :kiss: Totoally fair and objective. It's no wonder Griffin is an administrator! :D

Dawn Marie, we can't get inside the French tennis fans hearts and see if they are racist. They did not treat Serena well today after she started to question a couple of calls. That does not mean that they are racist. It means they wanted the French speaking girl Justine Henin from nearby Belgium to beat the mighty and great American tennis player Serena Williams. And I think the boistrous pro Henin crowd did help Justine on to victory.

It's a shame Serena is so upset and hurt by losing and the crowd being against her today. But the French tennis crowds turn on players very quickly. They even turn on their own. Just ask Mary Pierce.

lakeway11
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Joy, first of all one can dispute who was being unsportsmanlike in regard to the Hingis fiasco--i claim it was Steffi being that way due to failing to acknowledge the most in-ball ever to be called out that she saw clearly as anyone...2nd, the cat-calling of Hingis started months before during the Paris Open...thank god i was not there or i'd still be in a Paris prison!

Dava
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Justine was unsportmen like in not admitting she had her hand up.

but if she had her hand up why did Rena serve in the first place.

Halardfan
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:50 PM
The crowd are guilty as charged, and deserve all our scorn, but I feel Justine was innocent in this, not at fault.

Filip!
Jun 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I want to say a few things:

1) Justine raised her hand, indeed, but Serena served! The only thing she had to do was wait, nothing else! The umpire was totally right by not giving Serena a new first serve!
2) There were around 200 points in the match! But now, Serena-fans are talking about ONE FIRST SERVE IN THE NET, nothing more! We are even not discussing about a doubtful point, but about a missed first serve! This is amazing, this is stupid!
3) The crowd was not nice, that's totally right! But you can't blame Justine for this, she did not ask for it!
4) I think a lot of Serena-fans are disappointed! I can understand it, I would also be disappointed when my favourite player would lose a close thriller like this one! But that's not a reason to tell CRAP about Justine and not give her the credit she deserves! Why can't you be honest? Justine was the better player today, and the better player won! Nothing more, nothing less!

BTW: We are talking about one match! Serena won already 4 slams! What means one f*cking match in a whole tennis-career?

Zenith
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:09 PM
I am really sad that Serena lost, wished I had seen the match to know what actually happened.

A player not named Williams winning a grand slam, hard to believe it's true.

franny
Jun 5th, 2003, 10:32 PM
the bottom line, the french crowd is intellegent but omg this has got to stop. First they do it to hingis and then they do it to serena. Hingis took out muaresmo easliy back in 99 french open, serena took out amelie easily this year. Hingis questioned many calls, serena did today. See the similarities? I totally understand hwo williams fans feel and i completely agree with them, about the fans that is. However, Justine did not cheat. She has a right to put up the hand and if the umpire didn't see it then thats his fault, not hers. She could have come out and admitted it but honestly very few people would. I know for a fact that serena would not have. Seles and clijsters and davenport are the only players that i think would consider admitting to it. Its like why didnt' graf admit that the ball was out back in 99'. SHe turned her back so quickly because she dindt' want to say anything to martina and didnt' want to admit that the ball was out. No one called graf a cheater, no one should call justine a cheater. It was the ump's fault and he should be punished, i say we go throw sticks at him.

Venus Forever
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:37 AM
I want to say a few things:

1) Justine raised her hand, indeed, but Serena served! The only thing she had to do was wait, nothing else! The umpire was totally right by not giving Serena a new first serve!
2) There were around 200 points in the match! But now, Serena-fans are talking about ONE FIRST SERVE IN THE NET, nothing more! We are even not discussing about a doubtful point, but about a missed first serve! This is amazing, this is stupid!
3) The crowd was not nice, that's totally right! But you can't blame Justine for this, she did not ask for it!
4) I think a lot of Serena-fans are disappointed! I can understand it, I would also be disappointed when my favourite player would lose a close thriller like this one! But that's not a reason to tell CRAP about Justine and not give her the credit she deserves! Why can't you be honest? Justine was the better player today, and the better player won! Nothing more, nothing less!

BTW: We are talking about one match! Serena won already 4 slams! What means one f*cking match in a whole tennis-career?

Okay, let's go over this one more time, because you are making it a LOT more complicated than it is.

1. Justine had her hand up, TRUE. If you watched the replay, like I did, and what ESPN replayed, you would realize the truth. Justine put her hand up WHEN the toss was in the air, and Serena was looking up in the air to hit it. When Serena completed her motion, she realized Justine's hand was in the air.

Even if she did see Justine's hand before she served, the fault should still count?? Now, what if the serve went in, would it be an ace. Well, according to your thinking, it should be.

2. The Williams fans do not believe this one call caused the result of the match. This point is brought up to the sportsmanship, or lack of, on the part of Justine. Justine shook her head during the argument between Serena and the chair. She denied she put her hand up. She could came out with the truth and admitted it, and be a good sport, but she wasn't. This is everyone's point.

3. Who is blaming the crowd on Justine?? If anything, she instigated it more, but not anything else.

4. Justine played a GREAT match, that's her credit. BUT, many are upset to her sportsmanship, I'm sorry, the lack of sportsmanship. That is why everyone is angry.

Hope this enlightened you. ;)

rated_next
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Well done Justine :)

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Henin-Hardenne plainly did not lie because she did not speak, and it did Williams no favors to throw such accusations at a player not known for gamesmanship of any kind. Williams was quick to admit the incident was not a turning point in the match and had no bearing on the result, and was equally quick to say that Henin-Hardenne deserved the win. In any case, the crowd had already decided where their allegiances lay and Williams had long since antagonized the crowd by calling her own lines – never a smart move at Roland Garros. Hingis could have told her that.

mentos
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:46 AM
It's an exaggeration to say that Serena lost because of the crowd & cheating...Justine did more to win today...but the crowd was looking for an opening to explode (probably payback for Momo, or whatever)...their behavior was abominable, but those of us with any conscience already know this to be the case...I expect Serena to rebound in a major way, so the revelers should get all their enjoyment in now, cause this too shall pass...

Martian Mel
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:48 AM
These people complaining were the same ones that were cheering for the crowd's reactions toward Martina in 99. How hypocritical!

so true :worship:

Steffica Greles
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:49 AM
The French crowd ARE despicable, but many a great champion has faced the Parisian crowd before. Roland Garros, I truly believe, is the court where the great champions show their steel.

Chris Evert was the darling of the crowd across the globe, yet Martina Navratilova defeated her more often than not.

Steffi Graf was the crowd favourite in the epic final of 1992 against Monica Seles. But Seles was made of stronger stuff than that - and outlasted Steffi, playing an unbelievable level of tennis, defiant of everyone.

Martina Hingis faced the crowd in 1999, even before they turned on her for protesting calls. Graf was always the delight of those in the stands.

Aranxta Sanchez-Vicario was in 10 semi-finals or better at Roland Garros, including 3 times the champion. Yet she was always playing against the crowd in those titanic tustles against Graf and Seles throughout the 1990s.

Yet by the end of her career, having faced years of hostility, Aranxta was one of the most popular players ever to have graced the tennis courts - she'd earned respect for withstanding the disrespect, and continually coming back to fight battles on that famous court.

Serena has not suffered anything today that many players, including French players (Mary Pierce, Amelie Mauresmo) haven't suffered before.

She'll just have to come back stronger. That'll be the real test.

As for Justine, she played a great match.

joaco
Jun 6th, 2003, 12:54 AM
I'm SOOOO HAPPY JUSTINE WON!!!!!!
I know you Williams fans (the ones who said so) would say something to justify Serena's loss. Weather Justine cheated, the crowd booed, etc. Justine won!! :hearts: :worship: :worship:

Joaco

BTW: Still think Justine did a rude thing by not saying she had stopped that serve in the third set... :( but still, Serena had her chances, let them go, and Justine took advantage of them

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:06 AM
If I were Justine I would say nothing, which is what she did. Why? Because it is the server's responsibility to stop her serve even if it is during her motion. You are being disingenuous to pretend that she could not stop her serve. All Justine knows is that she was not ready and that Serena served anyway probably hoping to get a cheap point. Again I see where you are coming from kyk710 BUT if you look at from JUJU p.o.v. you can see that it would seem very unfair for Serena to get a second look at a first serve when Serena went ahead and served even though juju was not ready. I mean it is all crazy and there a lot of different ways of looking at the situation but Serena should not have accused juju of lying cuz juju said nothing and that is really a terrible accusation.

Crazy Canuck
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:11 AM
It's true. The crowd and Justine DID cheat, and that IS a UFO circulating your house. I can't help but feel that the government is somehow involved!

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Henin-Hardenne plainly did not lie because she did not speak, and it did Williams no favors to throw such accusations at a player not known for gamesmanship of any kind. Williams was quick to admit the incident was not a turning point in the match and had no bearing on the result, and was equally quick to say that Henin-Hardenne deserved the win. In any case, the crowd had already decided where their allegiances lay and Williams had long since antagonized the crowd by calling her own lines – never a smart move at Roland Garros. Hingis could have told her that.

Martian Mel
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Joy, first of all one can dispute who was being unsportsmanlike in regard to the Hingis fiasco--i claim it was Steffi being that way due to failing to acknowledge the most in-ball ever to be called out that she saw clearly as anyone...2nd, the cat-calling of Hingis started months before during the Paris Open...thank god i was not there or i'd still be in a Paris prison!

BEST FUCKING POST EVER!YES OUR 'ANGEL' Graf was being a bitch!She was right there!The ball WAS SOOO IN!But no she didn't say a fucking word!Talking about cheaters! :rolleyes: Williamsfans 'we' (hingisfans) Know how you guys feel!The crowd was even worse with Marti's match...ofcourse..she shouldn't have crossed the net but to be honest wouldn't you have done the same if you clearly saw that the ball was in but the fucking umpire looked at the WRONG mark?I would have!Marti didn't crossed the net because she wanted to disrespect the rules of tennis or becoz she wanted to disrespect graf.No it's was a matter of honesty ...that bitch looked at the wrong mark and marti wanted to show her the GOOD mark.She had to because that fucking graf suddenly became blind and didn't know which mark it was :rolleyes: And this was the FINAL ...one of the most important matches of Marti's career AND she was only 18 at that time for god sakes!Yeah i fucking know that it hurts!
And too be honest...i mean we all know how most of the hingisfans think of the williamses just like how we know how most of the man united fans think of arsenal etc etc..I really disliked serena!But i kinda strarted to like her last year...But to be honest...she is a true champion and it made me feel really bad when i saw her interview!It was deja-vu all over again.

So i also want to say to the Hingisfans....Don't fucking say that Serena is a whiner or that her fans are right now...for crying at loud we should know how they feel!

Martian Mel
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:21 AM
I also want to say one thing to the williamfans!Just accept it guys..she lost.A champion can't win all the time!Rena and Venus will move on!But don't get into fights about this...believe me it isn't worth it.A lot of people just laugh at you guys and they are so happy that they can finally make fun of you!I won't because i know how it hurts when most of the williamsfans did the same every time when marti lost...
I was like that before...lmao when venus or rena would loose...not anymore...i respect them and i don't wanna be so childish again to laugh at you guys.I'm sure that you guys will have your party at wimby!Have fun! ;)

Susie
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:25 AM
Firstly congratulations to Justine, she played well and on the day deserved to win :) In the end she held her nerve and closed it out, good for her! :)

Of course i'm upset Serena lost but gee it's not the end of the world, she'll be back! I guess i can allow one slam to go hehe :D I'm just glad she got it to 3 sets cos i would not have taken a straight set loss quite so well :D Onto Wimbledon oh yeah! :bounce:

The crowd were disgraceful, not only to Serena as reigning champion but also to Justine for spoiling her memorable day. She's gonna remember this day as much for the winning as for the booing that went on in that stadium. I'm all for supporting your fave, but when it gets to that level it's plain wrong. No player ever deserves treatment like that, not back then, not now, not ever. It's a shame that the crowd spoiled the match for everyone, such a shame.

Fingon
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:25 AM
omg, I thought I've seen it all, but some Williams fans will never cease to amaze me.

of course, Serena isn't human and isn't even conceivable someone can beat her :rolleyes:

In Charleston was Serena playing poorly, now the crowd or the serve whatever.

I thought Serena didn't lose to the same player twice? :confused:

I thought an hostile crowd motivated Serena :confused:

I thought Justine or anyone else were never going to beat Serena in a slam :confused:

so many things they were plain wrong that now they have to find a scapegoat.

They really give a new meaning to the word pathetic.

bottom line, even if Justine loses to Kim, she still beat Serena and stopped Serena's streak, twice. Her fans are so pathetic to find consolation in a possible win by a player they don't even like, maybe forgetting that Kim is getting very close, dangerously close to Serena.

I am sure Serena herself won't find any satisfaction for another player's win to "avenge" her loss, but then again, Serena is a champion, not a pathetic loser like some of her fans.

sorry but I have to watch the match I have on tape.

Mark for Martina
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Serena lost that match... I did not think she was as patient and as focused as her last match with Amelie... Full points to Justine for taking advantage of that... Serena made adjustments... slowed the points down a little.. Allowed Justine to make the risks.. and it worked in the second set... The third set was up in the air... Clearly, Serena was having trouble with the depth and pace of Justine's groundstrokes... she made a lot of errors...

Great showing for Justine and good showing for Serena...

Serena was quick to accept questionable calls and she kept her chances to win the match... pushing it to a deciding set... even if, clearly, nothing much was working for her during the match... I'm not sure how much the crowd got to her...

Justine took advantage of this... she was confident and she worked for the points... she had the mental edge today... I guess someone had to win...

JasonW
Jun 6th, 2003, 01:37 AM
I keep hearing how if the crowd didn't get so involved that Serena woulda won. The crowd is part of professional tennis, just like the outs, and faults, and lets, it's all part of the game. You have to learn how to play against it. If u can win even though the crowd was against u that is a great champion.

Flatstat
Jun 6th, 2003, 04:30 AM

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

What a Hater :eek:
I think you are the racist

stephano hair
Jun 6th, 2003, 06:52 AM
[Admin edit]

bis2806
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:20 AM
the french crowd and henin are just too pathetic... i watched the match and it was just so hurtful and really disappointing and shocking as well that you hear the french crowd jeering and clapping when serena's first serves hit the net and were out.... in my opinion serena should have won the match but because of that pathetic crowd, it's just really a 100% pressure serena had to handle with.... and i really didn't like the look of henin when she raised her hand :confused: faker... cheater.. whatever...

Katie
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM
It was a good match....Nice to see see two different people in the final, but i have to say that the French crowd was disgraceful!really awful....really not sportsmanlike.....pffff...Good luck in Wimbledon Serena...I know the public will be much better there!

bis2806
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:37 AM
Serena win your next slam in Wimby! come on!!!! :D

ksgyh
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:45 AM
The crowd is part of it. That's why they are played in various countries. So, if at the US Open the crowd is especially energetic and rambunxious cheering for American players, we are all going to be labeled horrendous? The Lleyton Hewitt - James Blake US Open controversy would have panned out slightly differently had it not been in the US, in NYC. Don't you think? Same thing. Saying had the crowd been different, etc etc, so and so player would have won is absolutely preposterous and a hypothetical that isn't even worth wondering about. Things happen that we aren't in control of, but we are in control of how we react. Serena, surprisingly, did let it all get to her. She proved herself to be human - thank goodness, b/c I was starting to think she was a GS super-robot - and human things happen. If she wins Wimbledon, it won't surprise me at all, but if she lets this in any way bring her down, that wouldn't suprise me either. What is so *shocking* about all that happened today?

Andy_
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:45 AM
I didn't write anything yesterday, because I had only followed the match on-line... but now I've seen it all and I wish to add my thoughts to this thread...
- the crowd were horrible. I was hoping for the all belgian final, as well, but their behaviour was almost unbearable: it's just fine if you cheer for your favourite player and I understand that when things get tense you might feel like celebrating her opponent's mistakes... but yesterday the crowd would cheer at first serves into the net and that was despicable
- Justine's hand... a lack of sportsmanship from Henin, but I think very few players out there are actually in for good gestures like that... all in all that point didn't change the course of the match, because it didn't come on a crucial ball... of course it probably added to the tense atmosphere on the court
- I saw a few moments of Serena's press conference and though she's far from being my favourite player, it was sad to see her crying. I know some anti-Williams might come out saying that those tears were fake, but I doubt that. I felt for her, although in the end this match will teach her another lesson and we'll be given an even toughr Serena from Wimbledon on
- tennis-wise: it was a tremendous match, at times, with Justine playing incredible shots out there. At the beginning Serena was indeed a few notches below her top level, but then she raised her game and the match was pretty even. Of course the crowd and other elements played their role, but - and this time Serena was able to admit it, well done - we must give credit to Justine, for a remarkable performance

Katie
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:49 AM
No but i mean come on, if u're american and playing in front of your own crowd, obviously the crowd would be cheering for their own player...But, you don't go booing the other opponent like that...that is just poor show....I've never seen that at the Us open, at the Aussie Open or at Wimbledon...It's just disgraceful what happened...You don't go booing someone like that...Ok yes she's been winning practically very single tournament she's played in...but hey, you just don't do those things...WIN WIMBLEDON SERENA!!!!!!

1jackson2001
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Justine won fair and square and that is all there is to say. Serena fans shouldn't feel bad at all. Serena is still the top player and she played on her worst surface, against the best clay courter on tour, and against a hostile crowd, and she STILL almost won that match. It was very close, but Justine was able to deliver in the end. So, congrats to Justine.

Katie
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Yes apart from that, Justine played wonderful tennis...congrats to her!Thumbs down to the crowd though!!

bis2806
Jun 6th, 2003, 07:55 AM
Serena teach henin a lesson and beat the crap out of her in wimby :D:D:D

auraj
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:04 AM
I really hate the treatment that Serena received yesterday at the French Open, but she was very rude to Justine at the end of the match. She barely shook hands with her. I can understand Serena feeling the way she did as she left the court, but to me...She acted like a baby, and this has nothing to do with racism. I think Serena was acting rather spoiled when she cried in the interview after the match. Where has that Serena Williams flamboyancy and ego gone?

Justine won the match fair and square. Justine could not help it that the French were pulling for her. A true champion uses sportmanship, and Serena clearly did not show that yesterday. I was very disappointed in Serena's unsportmanship attitude, as much as I was the rudeness that the French displayed toward Serena.

Congratulations Justine!

It is like this, SERENA, you cannot win them all. Pick up the pieces and try again. Do not act like a baby when you lose a match.

Hardiansf
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:09 AM
The crowd :fiery: :mad: :fiery:
Justine :rolleyes: , lost respect of her :fiery: , but btw congrats, good luck in the final
Serena :sad: , but clay season is over, and then, it's your (and Vee, and Lindsay, and Monica :angel: ) time for move on again!!
GO WILLIAMS SISTERS!!! Win in Wimbledon! :bounce: :worship: :worship: :bounce: :bounce:

rand
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:29 AM
I find it quite funny to talk about the lack of sportsmanship by Henin while we saw an "interview with Serena the day before the game where she plainly showed contempt for justine, that was BEFORE the game, and if anything is a lack of sportmansship, this should be it....you can't expect to be arrogant and nasty in interviews beforehand, and then complain that the crowd chooses the side of your opponent, ebvent though off course, the french fans REALLY exagerated.....

Chance
Jun 6th, 2003, 08:48 AM
I just saw a part of Serena's interview on the news :sad: . I like both players, so I was torn between the 2. The crowd imo was not racist but just plain ignorant dumbasses... I've come to expect that from them.
It looked like Justine was going to fade in the 3rd set and I was on her side then the crowd kept booing Serena's faults and then I was back on Rena's side, it's horrible to see because this is not football, hockey or basketball.
I think after all that mental energy Serena had to use against Amelie, she wasn't able to go through that all over again in the semi and Rena let the crowd get to her. Justine played GREAT and pushed Serena and in order for Serena to beat Justine she had to be on 100%, which she wasn't . It was a pity this wasn't the final because I'm not sure if Justine will have enough energy and focus to defeat Kim, I hope she can.

Serena will be back, she just needs to put this behind her and realise that the French crowds have been rude to many players over the years- White and Black. Dry those tears and kick butt.

Doris Loeffel
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:43 AM
First I didn't want to repeat to this but just can't hold back.
Sure the public wasn't really fair to Serena. But hey how much fun would it be to play infront of an empty stadium?? And be honest would you always be able to be quiet? I for sure wouldn't ;) I mean it's normal that you hope you're faves opponent is making an error. And when the first serve is in the net our out I'm like "yes" especially when the opponent is a dam good server and I would hope for the doublefault to happen. Even more so when it's a pretty dam important match and the match looks like beeing almost over but not to the favour of my fave. Fortunately nobody can her me when I watch the match infront of the TV. But as I said before I don't think I would be able to be quiet seeing it live in the stadium. O.K. I wouldn't booo the opponent (I hate that myself) but a yes might slip out of my mouth when there's an error made. So I do understand the public - and Serena should have known that she will have to play against the public - and last but not least it's the public who pays part of the final cheque for the players. And it's finally thanks to the public that this sport became so popular amongh "normal" ppl too and is no longer a reserved sport to the upper class. And I forgive the public to take part for their fave player. I mean when I pay to see such a match live I'm there for my amusement too. And for sure wouldn't be quiet the whole match long. Looks like the players have to get used to the fact that the public is thaking more and more part towards their faves and show it as good or in this case bad (for Serena) as they can. And yes it wasn't always fair but that's the sport.

Jakeev
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:51 AM

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

Dawn baby I hope after a day you are reading what you said and realize that you did not mean in this context.

It's sad what Serena had to face, but Justine won the match fair and square.

Jakeev
Jun 6th, 2003, 09:57 AM
I really hate the treatment that Serena received yesterday at the French Open, but she was very rude to Justine at the end of the match. She barely shook hands with her. I can understand Serena feeling the way she did as she left the court, but to me...She acted like a baby, and this has nothing to do with racism. I think Serena was acting rather spoiled when she cried in the interview after the match. Where has that Serena Williams flamboyancy and ego gone?

Justine won the match fair and square. Justine could not help it that the French were pulling for her. A true champion uses sportmanship, and Serena clearly did not show that yesterday. I was very disappointed in Serena's unsportmanship attitude, as much as I was the rudeness that the French displayed toward Serena.

Congratulations Justine!

It is like this, SERENA, you cannot win them all. Pick up the pieces and try again. Do not act like a baby when you lose a match.

Surprised you did not mention Justine accusing Lindsay of faking an injury in her loss to her last year. That was not being childish I guess right.

Not trying to play tit for tat but if you are gonna go there I think you should be fair.

People say things in the heat of battle. It's called being human. Can't be peaches, cream and honey every match, especially in intense competition.

Jakeev
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:00 AM
What a Hater :eek:
I think you are the racist

Nah dawnie is not a hater. She is just like the rest of us and reacts to fast without thinking about what are fingers are typing........

nante4ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM

HATIN RACIST CROWD.

Why is racism beign brought up here? justine played near flawless tennis and that is why she is in the finals.

nante4ever
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:08 AM
the french crowd and henin are just too pathetic... i watched the match and it was just so hurtful and really disappointing and shocking as well that you hear the french crowd jeering and clapping when serena's first serves hit the net and were out.... in my opinion serena should have won the match but because of that pathetic crowd, it's just really a 100% pressure serena had to handle with.... and i really didn't like the look of henin when she raised her hand :confused: faker... cheater.. whatever...

But most serena fans say that they are not worried about the crowd becuase she plays well in hostile environment. So it has to change only becuase serena lost?

Dava
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry but Serena won in Indian Wells, and that was just disgusting, that had nothing on this, NOTHING WHAT SO EVER!

treufreund
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:19 AM
I find it quite funny to talk about the lack of sportsmanship by Henin while we saw an "interview with Serena the day before the game where she plainly showed contempt for justine, that was BEFORE the game, and if anything is a lack of sportmansship, this should be it....you can't expect to be arrogant and nasty in interviews beforehand, and then complain that the crowd chooses the side of your opponent, ebvent though off course, the french fans REALLY exagerated.....

100% SPOT ON! why is it okay for Serena to do that before that match? It is NOT! IT is NOT OKAY to serve when juju is not ready and then request another first serve because your little plan backfired. And no the drama did not distract juju. She stayed with her game and did not let Serena distract with these silly games and glares and psyching out before and during the match. Serena saw that the game was over. The psyching out and manipulating are over. Now of course we should feel sorry for and she should accuse her opponent of lying. :fiery:

The Crow
Jun 6th, 2003, 10:51 AM
The crowd was pathetic. When Serena questioned those calls, she was right all the time, but the crowd boo-ed.

And about the incident on Serena's serve, some of the Henin fans must have seen something different than me. What I've seen: Serena served, mean while Justine raised her hand, which the umpire didn't notice. So, I'm sure if he had seen it, Serena would have had a first serve again which means Justine cheated really. On the other hand, I had the feeling Serena only saw Justine raising her hand after she served (not during), so actually she didn't really deserved that fist serve, but Justine should have given it to her anyway, it's as simple as this. Poor sportsmanship by Justine :(

Fingon
Jun 7th, 2003, 02:21 AM

idiot, retarded whatever

Deira
Jun 7th, 2003, 04:33 AM
It will be interesting to see how Justine's lack of sportsmanship during the French plays out during the rest of her career. I personally think it will be damaging to her reputation and eventually her self-confidence. Everyone who watched the match and saw the replay knows she put her hand up. Serena was already in her serving motion. When the umpire said that he didn't see it, Justine should have acknowledged it. It wasn't that big a deal to permit Serena to have a first serve. It makes one wonder just how far Justine would have been willing to go to win. If it were the other way around, I believe Serena would have owned up to it without a moments hesitation.

BasicTennis
Jun 7th, 2003, 05:13 AM
Justine deserves the win but really the French and Belgian crowds simply showed no class at all. They're bunch of uneducated animals.

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Griifin I disagree on two points that you made.

#1. Hingis acted like a ignorant fool you and I both know her actions warrant the response from the crowd.

#2. Serena did nothing but play tennis and of course to be born Black.

U can't compare the two incidents..U stated u CAN COMPARE. WTF?

You stated that you didn't know what was in the hearts and minds? Oh come on anyone who happens to be gay should know what is in alot of people's minds. Serena was still beating down the white girls and people didn't like it. The Momo defeat made them angry at Serena for being a great player. They were tired of Serena beating the white girls. Afterall tennis is not supposed to end up this way. LOL. They were tired of it and anyone who even post in HERE should know what was in the fans minds. Especially iomho if you're a gay indiviual.. you should know. Get real.

To state that Hingis ACTIONS and how the crowd REACTED to what Serena went through is ludricrus.

I can't fathom how gay people seem to see the Bias and Sexism regarding tennis but then suddenely have no idea what was in a LARGE WHITE TENNIS crowd's minds.

this is why Martina Navriltilova irks me at times. She understands sexism and homophobia but then suddenly when one talks truth and mentions racism suddenly " Oh we don't see it "Oh I have no idea what is in their hearts and minds".

Come on keep it real and state the truth.

The crowd didn't want to see Serena a Black women kick more white ass.

I hate to say it's about Black and White but like all of you know this is TENNIS were talking about. just like when Martina didn't get her endorsements it was about Homosexual vrs. Hetero.

FOR SHAME. FOR SHAME.

P.S. If Momo were to be booed when she dominated and she beat some pretty dainty heterosexual females and the crowd treated her like they did Serena. I would know what was in the crowds minds. I would not try to be a chicken shit and state a bunchof BULL COCKAMANNY!

So u all can stop trying to ignore the truth because frankly it ain't gonna change the truth. The Only one who can change is Serena and frankly she will keep on beating Momo and Henin and will continue to make history as well as Martina Navriltilova did.

Take this post to the bank and my god please learn from it.

F-R-E-A-K
Jun 7th, 2003, 06:47 AM

I like my comment!

THE NET
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:56 AM
What happened show us a bit about "Justine's lack of sportmanship". :sad:

I think players like Andre Agassi, Gustavo Kuerten, Monica Seles, Steffi Graf etc. would give their opponents a new serve if they really raise their hand up, no matter if the umpire see them doing or not. ;)

Such this sportmanship makes them being Great Champions...people love them and will remember such this thing. It's how much sportmanship they have not just how many grandslams they've won. :)

I don't know if we should call Justins cheated, cheat is a very bad word and it should not used in sport. :rolleyes:

Moreover, I'd like to see how well Justine play/concentrate her mind if she was in the same situation as Serena in that match. :angel:

Dawn Marie
Jun 7th, 2003, 07:59 AM
The people trying to cover up the truth are the same kind of people who are in the stands. GAYS and all.