PDA

View Full Version : Report from Thursday

Grafiati
May 23rd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Sorry this couldn't get out until now (or be typed until now!). I got to the site about 11:40 and saw Fabiola just calmly looking at the draw in the tournament office... she has such a nice presence, I just feel how proud she is of her country and how much tennis is great for her after being injured. Babsi was up in the second set. She was playing great ball, just like in training last weekend, and Clarissa just remained a spectator for the rest of the match. I walked to the outer courts to find Rubin & Gagliardi hitting, Grande practicing with Pratt, and Miss Arantxa talking to Janette's coach. During Iroda's match her coach sat near me talking to her in Uzbek (I think) and even though Cara has a very muscular body and is quick, she has ZERO, I repeat ZERO, weapons. I was surprised because I didn't think she had such average groundies but even though she served for the set at 5-4 I knew she wouldn't win the match. Iroda was at 7-5, 1-1 when she lost serve and basically chucked the next 2 games out the window (mental toughness doesn't seem to be her strongest trait). Iroda bangs the ball really well, and her backhand crosscourt angles were deadly. Babsi and Wartusch came out to watch bits of set 2, as did Arantxa (little dog in tow as always) and Paola. Iroda won and was very smiley as I wished her luck in the semis-I can't believe how much she looks like Iva! :eek:

I went to the outer courts again and saw Clarissa/Nicole beating up on Babsi/Wartusch, who did not appear that interested. Frazier and Molik were playing a practice set, led by Amy 4-3 before losing 6-4. Amy was hitting her serve and groundies well but shocked me with her mobility-lack thereof... especially at the baseline she was not moving well, so I was worried to see her ankle all taped up. They played a tiebreak as I waited for them to get off the court but nope, Alicia and coach left while Amy stayed to hit serves by herself with no one watching but me. She signed a picture for me and said the tape was just precaution. I got my butt to Centre Court to see Rubin/Suarez... already 6-2 for Chanda but the umpire's mic while I watched Amy indicated that almost every game went to deuce, so I knew it could be close. Chanda had break points for 3-0 (double break) but Paola made it 3-2 in her favor! She really struck her backhand well but in the end didn't take her chances and Chanda walked off the winner. Chanda's coach Benny Simms was giving lots of coaching from the stands but I guess lots of coaches are known to do that.

Outer courts again-Rita hitting with Angelique, Janette's coach working with Henrietta Nagyova-that's right, Henya, and where did she come from?! :D Arantxa was chatting in English with Janette, who had ice on her right knee and looked to be in some pain, and then they went to see Toņi vs. Manu. Toņi played a GREAT first set, just really relaxed and hitting the ball well, running around to hit her forehand a lot. ASV popped up all over the place to talk to the players and then in set 2 Manu called an injury timeout for her left thigh while up 4-3... she won the next 2 games but went down 0-3 in the 3rd, only to make it 3-3... FINALLY at 4-4 Toņi showed some emotion, getting upset at what was a terrible call on her baseline and shouting "ĄCoņo!" at the lineswoman ;) I am glad she won that game because she broke Manu in the next game to win the match. Manu has a TOTALLY AWFUL persona, she tries to trick the umpire into coming down for marks that aren't from the match even after the umpire has called the score, she glares at the umpire for 4 seconds if she blatantly hits a let on her serve, etc.... Shame on her because tennis is a sport, it's supposed to fun and fairly played. Anyways, Toņi was talking to fans after the match as always and is a really sweet girl :drool:

I had to leave the Rita/Angelique vs. Magüi/Alicia match at the end of set 1 but saw Vivi out on the practice court working really hard :)

I think Babsi and Iroda are playing great tennis and only an in-form Chanda would stop that final matchup, but Iroda needs to get into better shape (!) because she certainly looks like a little work on the running track would make a positive difference. Hopefully those going to the semis and finals enjoy the tennis! :)

PS-Who is the woman coaching Rita?

maya
May 23rd, 2003, 11:52 AM
thanks for the report :D!

salima
May 23rd, 2003, 11:54 AM
katta rahmat, thank you, :)

Harju.
May 23rd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the report :worship:

Too bad you can't stay up to see Rita and Angie doubles match

anabel
May 23rd, 2003, 12:45 PM
Gracias!

The Guilty
May 23rd, 2003, 01:03 PM

HotSpot
May 23rd, 2003, 01:09 PM
whre is the site for livescore...

TatiAnnahølic
May 23rd, 2003, 01:54 PM
FINALLY at 4-4 Toņi showed some emotion, getting upset at what was a terrible call on her baseline and shouting "ĄCoņo!" at the lineswoman ;)

jajajaja, gracias! :wavey:

franzit
May 23rd, 2003, 02:26 PM
the coach of Rita is Antonella Canapi ...her former coach (untill 2000 when she decided to be trained by her brother Vincenzo)