PDA

View Full Version : Roland Garros - How Will The Girls Go?

TS
May 21st, 2003, 05:07 AM
Qualifying starts tonight, both Sam and Rachel are up against seeded players. To be honest they can both either come away with wins or both lose. Sam has the toughest match against Prakusya. I dont know what Prakusya is like on clay but she's tough on any surface really and is clearly the favorite. Sam has not played any red clay lead ups so that says it all really...I think she is obviously focusing on Wimbledon. Rachel has Kleinova, Im not sure if they've played, but bothe being veterans Im sure they are familiar with eachothers games. Im confident Rachel can beat her, but she will certainly not start as favorite. She did OK against Salerni (took her to a TB) last week in Sweden, but clay not being Rache;'s surface, I don't see her getting through this. Hope Im wrong!

Anyway, here's hoping to a good night, but it could be a short stay for both ;)

More comments to come once main draw is released, for both singles and doubles :)

samhatz
May 21st, 2003, 05:21 AM
Sam's in trouble....I wonder why she didn't get the maindraw WC over Wheeler??

TS
May 21st, 2003, 05:25 AM
Players have WC restrictions (3 a year). Sam has had Gold Coast, Australian Open and obviously Wimbledon coming up.

AUSBOY
May 21st, 2003, 05:48 AM
Aussies have reasonable draws in Qualifying.

Both Stosur and McQuillan have very winnable matches but its anyones guess whether they will bring their game or not!

Kleinova vs McQuillan

Kleinova is actually more of a claycourter. She's never played Rachel surprisingly. Kleinova sure can whack the ball, she likes to take it early and dictate the play, she tends to win a match or lose a match, usually on her own doing. Rachel has a great chance if she can withstand the onslaught of aggressive groundies and stay in the rallies until Sandra hopefully misses. Im hoping Rachel can pull through this, even though she has had poor preparation.

Prakusya vs Stosur

Interesting match up. Prakusya doesnt have the ability to generate much pace herself and generally relies on her opponents to feed her pace which she then counterpunches back. She likes to have the ball hit hard and flat at her. Stosur could cause her a lot of problems if she can feed her a lot of topspin forehands. I cant see why Stosur cant win this. She's got the game and the ability to thump Wynne off the court, whether it happens is another story

Vicky88
May 21st, 2003, 06:02 AM
I think it is only fair that Wheeler got the WC into FO. I don't want to see TA spoon feeding one player to the detriment of the rest of the girls.

Not holding my breath for a good outcome for either Sam or Rachel, though think Rachel must have a half decent game on clay because didn't she make the quarters here a couple of years ago?

TS
May 21st, 2003, 06:04 AM
I think she made the 4th round over a decade ago (cant be sure) can anyone verify? I think she lost to Pierce?

Also, reached the 3rd round 2 years ago...but I think she has said openly that she dislikes clay which is why I assume is her least preferred surface.

Vicky88
May 21st, 2003, 06:07 AM
Ok this might be a totally idiotic statement, so feel free to jump down my throat, but if someone like Stosur really has no game on clay why does she bother wasting her time at the qualifying for FO? Why not play some qualifiers somewhere for the next couple of weeks which might give her a few extra points which may mean the difference between direct entry to the US Open or missing out? There is no rule saying that the best way to the top 100 is via the GS.

TS
May 21st, 2003, 06:09 AM
I just checked and Rachel reached the 4th round in 1991...losing to Sabatini in straight.

TS
May 21st, 2003, 06:12 AM
Ok this might be a totally idiotic statement, so feel free to jump down my throat, but if someone like Stosur really has no game on clay why does she bother wasting her time at the qualifying for FO? Why not play some qualifiers somewhere for the next couple of weeks which might give her a few extra points which may mean the difference between direct entry to the US Open or missing out? There is no rule saying that the best way to the top 100 is via the GS.

Who knows she might have been practising in some dark secluded corner day in day out and is ready to surprise us all! lol.

Maybe the prizemoney is bigger in slam qualies? Or just the experience of playing her first slam outside of AUS? I also believe she is in the doubles MD, is that correct anyone? (I dont really follow doubles much :o)

Vicky88
May 21st, 2003, 06:15 AM
Was it only 3rd round 2 years ago? I thought it was much better than that? I can remember that I was in Copenhagen the weekend she was playing and wanting to watch the match but my husband wanted to go out and look around. For some reason I thought it was a lot better.

Would be nice if Sam had been secretly practicing and was able to pull an upset on the clay. TS, I'm a bit like you, don't really know what is going on with the doubles, actually half the time I don't know exactly what is going on with anything.

broncosven
May 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM
Quite a shame Sam just lost 6-3 6-3

thats such a shame and rachel is currently down a set which she lost 6-4

COME ON AUSSIE!!!!!

TS
May 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM
Oh well, sadly what I felt could happen is :(

Bad luck to Sam...not experienced enough on this surface to beat Wynne. I'm sure soon enough she will be :) Time to focus on the grass now.

Hopefully Rachel can pull this out. She had her chances, having break points on the Kleinova serve at 4-5.

How disappointing that we only have two girls here in qualies :rolleyes:

Mateo Mathieu
May 21st, 2003, 01:16 PM
Unbelievable!! Rachel got set point in the second set but failed!! :sad:

samhatz
May 22nd, 2003, 06:15 AM
well sam and rachel are gone...

who's next? can an aussie win a round 1 match?

i believe wheeler, molik, pratt and dominikovic are in...

hopefully pratt can get out of her post Oz-Open slump, Molik can recover from her first round loss and dominikovic can win a match....good lcuk to wheeler too

Gowza
May 22nd, 2003, 06:40 AM
i really hope molik can win some matches she's really got me scared and worried after that first round loss. i thought she would be taken out by serna in the quarters otherwise reach the final.

Vicky88
May 22nd, 2003, 04:17 PM
I was also surprised to see Molik lose to Galgardi, wasn't expecting her to win the tournament but didn't think she would get so easily beaten.

Mentally I have moved forward to Wimbeldon because I am not expecting much joy next week.

broncosven
May 23rd, 2003, 12:05 AM
The draws due outtoday

lets all pray that our girls get some favourable draws then hopefully after the past few weeks bad results can be joyed when they all win 1st round matches and then . . . . . . . . well who knows what they are capable of

Gowza
May 23rd, 2003, 02:54 AM
at the moment i'm not fussed about draws aslong as molik has one where she can go deep into the tournament. she's my favourite aussie so i'm a bit biased compared to the other aussies but besides stosur i see molik as the future of aussie tennis for the moment hopefully d.dominikovic and s.ferguson can be good players but i'll be happy if molik can do something at RG this year.

TS
May 23rd, 2003, 07:17 AM
Rachel certainly had her chances :(

Anyway, I'm with Vicky. Bring on Wimbledon I say :angel:

Gowza
May 23rd, 2003, 01:21 PM
i think molik should be able to reach the 3rd or 4th round. 1st round she plays maleeva who hasn't had the best year then she would play either koulikovskaya or beigbeder which is a very winnable match then she could face bovina or maybe even golovin in the 3rd round.

Gowza
May 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
dominikovic doesn't have match hope with venus in the 2nd round but her first round match is winnable but i think benesova is playing well enough to beat evie.

pratt plays daniilidou 1st round which could be winnable but it's up to daniilidou. i think wheeler or pratt both have a chance to reach the fourth round. they're both in the same section but all the other players like schnyder and daniilidou are out of form and the others are beatable.

TS
May 23rd, 2003, 02:37 PM
Well the draw could've been worse I guess...both Alicia and Nicole drawing top 16 seeds is a bit rough, but in their favor they have drawn 2 players that dislike clay and aren't in the best of form.
I still think Eleni will be too strong for Nicole. a straight sets win for Eleni, although these two know eachothers games very well and Nicole is somewhat of a mentor to Eleni as they are quite close, so having said that anything could happen ;)...Alicia will beat Maggie IMO. She could realistically go 4th round here (whoever wins that match will make it to round 3 I have no doubt about it), and even beat Bovina in round 3 (should Bovina get there).

Now for the other two. I'm excited to see how Christina goes against Garbin. A winnable match, and even though she'll obviously start as underdog I'm going to go out on a limb and say she will cause an upset in 3 sets, go Christina go! Evie can also beat Iveta, but she won't sadly...I think Evie will bow out in 2 tight sets. After RG though I have a feeling she will get her act together, but with Venus looming in round 2 and Evie's suspect nerves when defending points, I just can't see her winning this match...

So, my predictions are that we will get at least 2 through to the second round. Alicia and Christina are my picks, but I suck at predictions so I will probably be proven wrong :p

broncosven
May 23rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
This daw for us in laughable

un4tunately honestly i dont think we havea realistic chance past the 2nd round unless pratt and wheller win

oh well fingers crossed

but a fantasy
EVIE beats ivena and then beats VENUS!!!!!! how good would that be

come on aussie time for a few shocks and suprises

TS
May 23rd, 2003, 02:55 PM
Well I think the chick in your avatar has a pretty good shot at winning at least 2 matches don't you think? :p

lol@the Evie fantasy...wouldn't that be something...:o

Vicky88
May 23rd, 2003, 06:08 PM
Is it just me or does it seem that just about every GS our girls draw seeds??

Anyway not holding out much hope for anyone, keeping my expectations at the lower end of the scale so if anyone wins a match I'll be well pleased.

Have to agree that it would be lovely to see Evie win 1st round, then down Venus in the 2nd. Those bonus points would be very juicy.

TS
May 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM
One down :sad:

Unfortunately Christina lost 4-6 3-6 to Garbin. Disappointing but I guess we can't expect her to all of a sudden start winning Slam matches after playing challengers. It's a different playing field as we all know! But hinestly I thought she was in with a chance on paper, hopefully she will build on her recent form and produce some good things later on this year :) She showed some fight, pegging her way back from 1-5 in the second set but lost her serve to love when serving to stay in it :( She also had break points on the Garbin serve to level the first set at 5-5, so she definately had her chances to get a lead up...

Oh well Nicole's up now, and sorry guys I'm going to have to switch allegiances for this match as I can't go against Eleni ;) but I wish them both a good match. I hate this draw :fiery:

AUSBOY
May 26th, 2003, 02:54 PM
TS u traitor hehehe :rolleyes:

It sucks that they are putting Eleni on the same court she won on last year in the 1st round of Beigbeder.

I hope Pratt can cause an upset, she's up a break in the 2nd at the moment but lost the 1st set 6-4

TS
May 26th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Well Nicole lost 4-6 3-6...at least she can now look ahead to the grass.

Same score as Christina BTW ;) Another thing they have in common??

Anyway, doubles draw is out...
Interesting partnerships...here are the combo's

Catherine Barclay/Rachel McQuillan v Lisa McShea/Irina Selyutina.

Alicia Molik/Elena Bovina v Sophie Lefevre/Virginie Pichet

Trudi Musgrave/Elena Tatarkova v 14-Nana Miyagi/Shinobu Asagoe

Nicole Pratt/Barbara Rittner v 4-Cara Black/Elena Likhovsteva

Evie Dominikovic/Nicole Arendt :eek: v Amandine Dulon/Anne-Laure Heitz

Rennae Stubbs/Corina Morariu v Elena Dementieva/Lina Krasnoroutskaya

Interesting combos! Great to see Rennae team up with Corina...they can do well together. Also, nice to see veteran Arendt take Evie under her wing! Trudi Musgrave needs to do well here as I think she reached the QF last year?

AUSBOY
May 26th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Yes Trudi reached the Quarter Finals with Asagoe last year. Unfortunately they decided not to play together and have consequently drawn each other!

One of them is in for a ranking drop! Tatarkova is quite a handy doubles partner, wont be surprised if Trudi gets through this one as miyagi isnt good on clay!

ozfan44
May 27th, 2003, 04:54 AM
hope the girls go a lot better tonight

stubbs and morariu great pair

molik and bovina- suprised me i thoguht alicia would play with magui again

good to see pratt finally getting a regular partner in rittner they have done pretty well so far this year so i honestly believe they will beat cara and elena

TS
May 28th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Well...the 1 girl I was positive would fall in a heap is our lone survivor :o Congrats to Evie on a comprehensive victory! Unfortunately she may well be on the receving end in her next match, but as long as she gets a few games that'll be good! Confidence must have moved up a few notches!

As for Alicia...:sad: Very disappointing, especially that 3rd set. Oh well, it was a tough match but as she even said, very winnable. Bring on Wimbledon.